Home
I posted this in the Winchester Collectors fourm but I figured it'd get more run here.

I just bought a LH M70 Sporter chambered for the .270WSM. I'm swapping out the walnut for a 22 ounce EDGE and plan on running the 9.3 ounce Leupold VX-2 Ultralight in either 3 ounce S&K's or 2 ounce DNZ Hunt Masters.
The 24" barrel will stay and there will be no lightening of the action.
Will this combo net me a 7 pound or under rifle?
Is the bottom metal on these aluminum or steel?
If steel, how much will going with the aluminum one piece PT&G BM save me?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Will this combo net me a 7 pound or under rifle?

No

Is the bottom metal on these aluminum or steel?

Steel

If steel, how much will going with the aluminum one piece PT&G BM save me?

About 6 oz. I think
Damn!
Are the FN weights optimistic or are the NH M70's heavier than the FN ones?
FN shows 7# 4oz for the .270WSM Sporter.
Yes a sub 7 pound Model 70 is available, its called a Kimber Montana laugh learn to shoot right handed.
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Yes a sub 7 pound Model 70 is available, its called a Kimber Montana laugh learn to shoot right handed.

You're a mean, vindictive bastige! grin
I can tell you that an extreme weather with 22 inch fluted barrel, in an Edge stock, DNZ mount, VXII 2-7, blind mag on the Edge stock......was approx 7 1/4 lbs.
FYI....there is very little difference in weight between a PT&G and factory FN bottom metal.....big difference between PT&G and the older steel, but not the FN, they are pretty light.
7.5 is certainly doable. The FN rifles have aluminum triggerguards, but steel floorplates. The older Classics had all steel bottom metal.

The all steel bottom metal from my 300 WSM weighs 7.5 oz.

The bottom metal on my FN made 308 is just under 6 oz. That is as close as I can get with analog scales.

My 308 comes in at 7 lbs 7 oz with a Leuopld 2.5-8X in Talley Lightweigts. But it is a 22" fluted barrel.
Forgot to add, this is in an Edge stock

I know this is a personal preference but I'd not worry a lot about those last few oz. If I can get a gun somewere between 7- 8 lbs ready to hunt It is good. 7.5 seem perfect to me. I started chasing light rifles back in the 70's when 9 lbs all up was pretty light.

I've got a Kimber, won't say a bad thing about it. Mine shoots small groups where I point it if I do my job. The problem is me, I shoot a little heavier gun a bit better. But at the same time I see no need for anything over 8 lbs ready to hunt.
My recipe here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...Re_300_WSM_Build_What_Action#Post5473121
LOVE this build Brad!

Hadn't thought of the Tubbs FP.

7# 9oz with 3 down and a sling would suit me fine.

Hope you don't mind me posting the pic and details of your post here.

Originally Posted by Brad

[Linked Image]

Here's the recipe:

Mine is a 2001 production M70.

McMillan Hunters Edge.

Barrel shortened to 23"... like Mark, I find it the right compromise. It feels perfectly balanced in the Edge stock (slightly muzzle heavy). Also, the Hunters Edge has a very short forearm and visually a 24" barrel looks too long in that stock to my eyes. Save 3/4 ounce cutting it.

Tubbs Firing pin installed. Save another ounce.

PT&G Bottom Metal. 2 1/2 ounces... saves a LOT of weight over the all-steel factory stuff, or even the one-piece aluminum/steel unit.

Talley X-Low mounts.

6x36LR... 9.5 ounces and as KISS a scope as there is.

With 3 rounds and Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling it goes 7lb's 9oz's all-up. Balance is just right to me. Barrel has enough beef to settle down, which the Kimber 8400 just doesn't have. Action has enough length to make best use of the round and it feeds very well.

No problem at all... happy to share.

Following my recipe, yours in 270 WSM with a 24" bbl will be a solid 2+ oz's heavier due to more metal in the barrel from its smaller caliber and longer length.

Good luck with your build.

I would think its doable. Below is a 7-08EW with Talley's and a VXIII 3.5-10. This one has the factory stock. Your stock and scope choice would get this one to 7....

[Linked Image]
Wondering if the balance will be too muzzle heavy with my 24" .270 tube?
Not averse to cutting the barrel to 23" if I find that it is too muzzle heavy.
I prefer just a bit muzzle heavy and if I can get the balance near that of my perfectly balanced KoO M84 I'll be happy as a clam.
Well, with that EDGE stock you'll have a bit more weight forward. Cutting it to 23 would help a tad. The TUBBS kit does save about an ounce..

But overall at what cost? Is saving 4-5 ounces worth that expenditure? Only the buyer can be the judge of that..
Likely not unless the balance is TOO far forward.

7.75# all up will work just fine I'd think.

I think we as shooters get a little carried away with the light rifle craze.A well balanced 7 1/2 or 7 3/4 pound rifle is still pretty light.
Balance trumps all but my perfectly balanced KoO M84 at 6# 1.7oz is such a joy to carry and shoot that I've been spoiled.
Balance AND ultra lightweight is simply sublime.
Agree hard not to love a Kimber.
Good luck with our build.

I don't know if this was a typo or intentional, but I got a little chuckle out of it...

You jerks are going to cause me to go shopping again... let's see, Mickey EDGE, M70 EW 7 WSM, Tubbs FP...

grin
Originally Posted by KDK

I don't know if this was a typo or intentional, but I got a little chuckle out of it...

You jerks are going to cause me to go shopping again... let's see, Mickey EDGE, M70 EW 7 WSM, Tubbs FP...

grin

This place certainly has that affect on me!
Ken, it seems you're trying to hog all the lefties, waz up wit dat?

I thought we were friends?

Save me a .308 or .257 ok?
Hey, this M70 was on GB for over two hours before I hit the magic button!
If you could see the price I paid for it you'd be really pissed.
And Kenneth, I haven't bought that sweet lefty KS here in the Classifieds.
Although I have found myself checking out loading data for the .300WM lately!
That .257 bee ULA,in the classifieds, is calling my name,

but the price is chilling me....
Hey,
If you could see the price I paid for it you'd be really pissed.

Pizzed with a capital P! You suck!

I think this rifle is also too heavy for you, prepare for shipment to Wisco....

That or the Kimber, your call........
The M70 may one day go down the road but I doubt it.

The Kimber.....NEVER!
Originally Posted by Kenneth

A better rifle or seller would be hard to imagine.

What's $2400 to a man of your considerable discernment and ample means? grin

considerable discernment and ample means? grin

Your Greek?

Just sell a few and the chill can soon be replaced by the warm glow of ownership.
Uh oh, Dads here, now I'm in trouble, This could get ugly.

Open the wallet, tightwad. laugh laugh

Originally Posted by SKane

I agree.

Once your family gets to see that sweet ULA they won't mind eating Ramen noodles for the next year! grin
Originally Posted by SKane

I agree.

Once your family gets to see that sweet ULA they won't mind eating Ramen noodles for the next year! grin

Ramen noodles... And deer. laugh
My SS M70 in 270 Win. wears an Edge stock, Talley Lightweights, and a 2.5-8 Conquest. It's front heavy, but not so bad you can't aim well. I have no complaints at all with the setup. IMO, it's the perfect hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]

Not quite 7 all up, it has the factory bottom metal in it. Should of gone PT&G, if I'd of asked Brad ahead of time I wouldn't of goofed it up. Brads got this down to a science and then some.

This had the factory tube on it in 300 wsm cut to 23". The factory tube is pretty well toasted so I'm having my smith stick my 338 WSM tube back on it.

I most definately want and love a weight forward feel to the rig.

Dober
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
FYI....there is very little difference in weight between a PT&G and factory FN bottom metal.....big difference between PT&G and the older steel, but not the FN, they are pretty light.

The 1-pc bottom metal in the NH m70s was made by Williams for Winchester. Browning/FN did not pick up Williams and now use PT&G to make their bottom metal. A number of gun manufacturers do not make their own bottom metal and contract out to PT&G for that part.
Good info Gary!

So how much is a Williams made steel BM set worth?
How about a LH .270WSM M70 Walnut stock?
Originally Posted by archie_james_c

You're a mean, vindictive bastige! grin

Oh Im well aware laugh if you start practicing now, you may be ready for a Yonkers 84M by October...hint laugh
Originally Posted by KDK

grin

"Your" was meant... maybe it's Feudian, maybe not.

Aside, I dropped in the Tubbs, not to save weight, but because the previous firing pin had been messed with and was broken by the previous owner. The factory replacement required I ship the gun to Missouri to have it fixed. Forget it. Just had my smith install the Tubbs instead, and saving an ounce didn't hurt!

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Not quite 7 all up

Dober, assuming you meant "not quite 8 all up"?
© 24hourcampfire