Home
I recently acquired an M70 classic featherweight in 280 Rem, with the intention of fitting it with a McMillan Win compact or hunters edge stock. This will be used as a general purpose hunting rifle.

The cost difference is not really an issue, and I'm not looking for an ultra lite rifle. That being said, are there any pros/cons, other than weight, when choosing edge vs. standard fill in a hunting rifle stock. Thanks, John
I have a standard fill on a Rem 700 Custom .280 Rem. It's the Mt. Rifle pattern. The stock is light enough for me as the gun is used for stand hunting and some still hunting.

I don't have any experience with the Edge so can't help you there.

PM me if you want to sell that rifle though. wink
6-7oz lighter, but alot of $ per oz. Both work quite well, I'd only go edge when trying to shave every last bit of weight.
A standard fill stock weighs about 32oz. About the same as most standard walnut stocks, and a little MORE than a walnut Featherweight stock.

If I'm not trying to save some weight I'll stick with the factroy stock in most cases. Buying the Edge from here is around $80 more and the only way to go IMHO. If I'm going to spend $440 for a stock that doesn't do anything different from the stock that comes on the rifle, spending $518 for 7oz less weight is a bargain.

Edge stocks also come with pillars standard. Costs extra if you want them in the standard stock.
Be patient I just snagged an Hunters Edge fwt inlet the other day for $375 in the classifieds . Just dropped my M70 SS FWT .30-06 to get pillar bedded into it since it is an ADL style. I'll be into it for the cost of a new edge when all is said and done.
In a FWT I would definitely go Edge. I hate a butt heavy rifle.
A long action FWT in an Edge will scale around 7 pounds with scope if you are at all sensible with your scope and mount selection. A standard McMillan is going to weigh 7.5+ with the same scope and rings. In the FWT contour a Hunter's Edge balances well and is about as good as it gets for a general purpose rifle. The relatively new Winchester Hunter in Edge fill may be a better feeling stock and just a couple ounces heavier......
You will be happy with the Edge....it is hard to get a M70 FW too light.Just the nature of the beast and an Edge matches it perfectly.

In a standard caliber like 270,280, or 30/06,recoil is well managed.
Slamo dunk I'd go Edge fill

Dober
I took the factory stock off today during inspection, before shooting the rifle. I was a little surprised at how light the wood stock actually was. I didn't have a scale, but I can't imagine it would come in more than 25 oz, give or take. Recoil felt a little stout with federal premium 150 partitions, but very manageable. I think the edge fill will keep the weight and balance about the same, which is very good as it is. Seems like a no brainer. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

That is definitely my choice as well, especially with a fwt barrel.
Yep. Go for balance.
The edge stocks seem a little stiffer than standard glass ones, which is another factor in favour of the edge. I would definitely go with the edge on a featherweight for balance (as others have said).
Ok just a few things here and I built a 280AI with a fw barrel in a edge fill stock.

A Winchester feather weight isn't as light as it sounds. A standard fill stock wouldn't suck. I don't like the "feather weight" pattern. I used hunters edge....compact with edge fill

I totally agree with the guy that said build for balance. A edge fill will balance nice. Depending on barrel length a standard fill might too.

The fella that says anything other than edge fill is a waste of money is simply incorrect. Comparing a standard fill stock of 32oz to a factory stock the weighs 32oz is more than funny. How many options do you have with a 32oz factory stock? How stiff is it?...........lol
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Definitely.

Love the FW barreled action in the Hunter's EDGE.
Originally Posted by jmvostmyer
I took the factory stock off today during inspection, before shooting the rifle. I was a little surprised at how light the wood stock actually was. I didn't have a scale, but I can't imagine it would come in more than 25 oz, give or take. Recoil felt a little stout with federal premium 150 partitions, but very manageable. I think the edge fill will keep the weight and balance about the same, which is very good as it is. Seems like a no brainer. Thanks for the input.

You may be surprised that your stock probably weighs more like 32 oz's so you will most likely lose almost a 1/2 a pound by going with the edge (hunters compact pattern)...I've got one on my EW and I love it.
If that fwt stock fits you well, I'd personally think long and hard about a mcmillan fwt with the edge technology. I had a compact edge and didn't care for the stock fit myself. So much so that I sold the rifle.
For myself, if I was going that way (mcmillan stock) I'd thin about a sako classic with the edge technology, I believe they can be inletted for a winchester.(one of the many advantages of mcmillan stocks)
Best bet is being able to handle several stocks to see what suits you, before dropping $500+.
One primary reason I am running a couple remington 700s right now is that there are several stocks for them that fit me very well, but that's another discussion!
© 24hourcampfire