Home
Posted By: UncleBigGreen Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Not that I needed a new excuse to start looking for a new rifle, but why not? Here's my situation. I have a 300 WSM w/ 3.5-10 scope that I use for all big game from antelope to elk (and hopefully moose eventually). If I had to have one big game rifle for Colorado, then I'd stop there, but like the rest of you, I have the sickness. Right now, I hunt speed goat, whitetail, muley and wapiti. I think that the 300 is a little overkill (even though, there's no such thing) for the whitetails and antelope. Keeping the 300, I'd say that the rifle for this thread topic would work on the antelope and whitetails with no problem and also be a good choice for mule deer (muleys would be the "grey"/overlap area). I'm thinking of things like the 25-06, 260, 7-08, etc. I will reload, but would still like to be able to find a box at a decent store. For the scope, I think that I should step the magnification up to 12. I'm thinking of rifles between the Model 70 and Cooper for price range. Your 2 cents is appreciated (unless your initials are GN - just kidding, but I think you only hunt elk). Thanks, UBG.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
I'm thinking a 25/06 spitting 100gr NBTs or 110 ABs will work okay for my sister (I'd use it if I weren't hunting the same seasons as her). That one gets my vote! Set up something to weigh 7.5-8, 24" barrel please, and no more than 10x on the top end, turrets a given.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Goats260 Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
260 and a Cooper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: UncleBigGreen Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Thanks, Tanner. Your avatar looks like a younger guy, so I still may go with 12 power max, but I think 25-06 is where I may end-up. 24" barrel sound right, too.
Originally Posted by Goats260
260 and a Cooper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice goat! What kind of glass?
Originally Posted by UncleBigGreen
Thanks, Tanner. Your avatar looks like a younger guy, so I still may go with 12 power max, but I think 25-06 is where I may end-up. 24" barrel sound right, too.
Can't argue with wanting a little more on the top end, I think you'll still end up with a heck of a rig. That one pictured is 24", and about .65" at the muzzle. With 3 rounds down and a sling it goes 8lbs on the nose, which is right where I like them.

Originally Posted by Tanner
Can't argue with wanting a little more on the top end, I think you'll still end up with a heck of a rig. That one pictured is 24", and about .65" at the muzzle. With 3 rounds down and a sling it goes 8lbs on the nose, which is right where I like them.

Now we know where my tax return is going (usually around $2500). Ha. That's not to say that we should end this thread. I still like to hear everyone else's opinion. Really, all of them have been correct so far.
Posted By: Goats260 Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
3.5-10x50mm with the long range duplex made for my load. I shoot the 140 Accubonds.
Originally Posted by Goats260
3.5-10x50mm with the long range duplex made for my load. I shoot the 140 Accubonds.

Maybe Tanner is right about the optic, but I'll probably still go to 12. Thanks again. It's a darn shame that both the 260 and 25-06 interest me.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
As you know your 300 shortie will work just fine but since you want another rifle, I'd suggest a fast 6mm, 270 or even a 280AI. Nothing wrong with a scope with an upper end of around 12, 14 or 16 either....You gotta remember Tanner is still a young buck and some of us older guys (not saying you're an older guy, but just incase) need the higher magnification and better glass.....Just about any platform will work as far as accuracy is concerned so I won't go into details about an exact rifle or brand.
25-06: more commercial offerings and slightly more zing, but longer action and a couple more ounces.

260: still has some commercial offerings, but not as much, and ample power and trajectory. Shorter action, so more familiarity (to my WSM) and a few less ounces.

Decisions.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
As you know your 300 shortie will work just fine but since you want another rifle, I'd suggest a fast 6mm, 270 or even a 280AI. Nothing wrong with a scope with an upper end of around 12, 14 or 16 either....You gotta remember Tanner is still a young buck and some of us older guys (not saying you're an older guy, but just incase) need the higher magnification and better glass.....Just about any platform will work as far as accuracy is concerned so I won't go into details about an exact rifle or brand.

Thanks, BSA. I'm a middle-aged buck, but I can run most young bucks into the ground (I run a bunch and did 10 14ers last summer - do I sound like Al Bundy now). The eyes on the other hand are decent, but not like they were 20 yrs ago. Sounds like we're all thinking in the same ballpark.

Yes, the 300 WSM does the trick. The first goat I dropped with it was on the ground and dead before I recovered from the recoil (205 yds). I used the same load (Federal Premium 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip) on a 300+ lb. muley the next year. He took 1/2 step forward, dropped and did a 2 second chicken dance. Maybe I'll just buy a [bleep] ton of 300 WSM reloading stuff, but what's not to like about getting another rifle (other than a few more dollars)?
Posted By: stantdm Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
.25-06, given what you already have. I use a Browning 1885 in that caliber and love it. Mine has a fixed 6x but whatever optics float your boat. 115 partitions or 117 SSTs do it for me.

For goats and whitetail anything from .243 to .30-06 is fine but the .25-06 is really a nice cartridge.
Green, A .300 is my main big game caliber..all four or five of them..But like most on this site, rifles are just plain fun..Years ago I picked my three calibers for this area: a .22-250 or Swift, a 25-06, and a .300...I have a 7mm-08,not to impressive to me..But I also just picked up in the spring,a 700 rebarreled with a 26 inch barrel..always wanted that..Now, when I think of my favorite three, the .270 keeps edging in to push out the 25-06...I haven't shot this .270 all that much..but so far have shot coyotes, mulies, and antelope with it..I am impressed..Used 110 Serrias on varmits, and 140 grain Horn. and Serria's on the other game..If I get a chance in the next couple days, I may take an elk with it. Also plan to add whitetails before hunting closes for the year..While I like the .25-06, several times on longer shots, it did not provide the shock to the game that I prefer...Here I am sure the 270 would have the edge due to more bullet wt..IF my middle rifle were going to do lots of service as a long range coyote, rockchuck, etc. rifle, Iwould go with the .25-06. If it were mainly a big game rifle then I would go with the .270.. I would scope it with at least a 4-12..my .25-06 has a 4-14..When I get switched around and get a couple more scopes, the .270 will probably have one also..BUT the simple thing to do is buy them both, then you will besure to have all bases covered..
Thanks, Stantdm and WCH. It's sounding like the 25-06.

WCH, I don't have quite as powerful 22s. I'll make due with my .223s, but I ain't going to argue. Your picks are great ones.

Thanks, BSA. I'm a middle-aged buck, but I can run most young bucks into the ground (I run a bunch and did 10 14ers last summer - do I sound like Al Bundy now). The eyes on the other hand are decent, but not like they were 20 yrs ago. Sounds like we're all thinking in the same ballpark.

Yes, the 300 WSM does the trick. The first goat I dropped with it was on the ground and dead before I recovered from the recoil (205 yds). I used the same load (Federal Premium 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip) on a 300+ lb. muley the next year. He took 1/2 step forward, dropped and did a 2 second chicken dance. Maybe I'll just buy a [bleep] ton of 300 WSM reloading stuff, but what's not to like about getting another rifle (other than a few more dollars)?

Brother, I'm with you on the rifle buying aspect. I just can't help myself (I'm almost as bad as tanner in that respect grin). I'm a longtime 30-06 user and recently (within the last 2 years) I've become a loyal 300 wsm user. I shot my buck last year with it at a lasered 600 yards and couldn't have been more pleased. It would be pure goat medicine but so would my other rifles which include a myriad of different chamberings....That's the fun of this disease, good luck with your new rifle purchase grin

Brother, I'm with you on the rifle buying aspect. I just can't help myself (I'm almost as bad as tanner in that respect grin). I'm a longtime 30-06 user and recently (within the last 2 years) I've become a loyal 300 wsm user. I shot my buck last year with it at a lasered 600 yards and couldn't have been more pleased. It would be pure goat medicine but so would my other rifles which include a myriad of different chamberings....That's the fun of this disease, good luck with your new rifle purchase grin

Pardon my French, but I think that the 300 WSM is almost up there with beer and the pill.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Hard to argue with a 25-06 for what you plan on hunting with it. I used one for many years for my deer cartridge until I shot out the barrel and found a nice little 270 in a light mountain rifle contour built on a commercial FN Mauser action.
Now, I'm looking for another 25-06 for deer hunting again and I can't even tell you why as my 270 has been a joy to hunt with and has taken down some nice deer and is really easy to carry in the mountains I hunt.

As long as you're in the market, why not just have one built just the way you want it? It just makes the end product that much sweeter to carry IMHO.

Bob
Posted By: KDK Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Biggest problem with the .260 is the lack of rifle choices... I would love to pick up something like a Stainless SPS and throw a Mickey on it, maybe shorten the barrel an inch or so to 23" (where have I heard that number before, Dober?) but about the only gun Remington currently offers is a Model Seven. Even better would be a Montana .260, but good luck finding one.

Opposite problem for the .25-06. I have a Remington Classic so chambered, and I have eyes for one more definitely and two possible (M70 SPORTER is the definite, an M700 XCR II or Ruger Number 1 are the maybes) but there's a boatload of choices out there.

One wildcard: I really want a Weatherby Vanguard in .240 Weatherby.
Posted By: gotcha Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
2 cents from a novice? Diff Caliber and lower mag on scope?

model 700 lvsf configuration (308)(260)(7-08)
McMillan remmy sporter stock
Swarovski Z3 Riflescopes 3x9x36, W/bipod (shooting 155 gr scenars .308)??? Light enough to carry all day, stable platform to reach out and touch something, & some nice clear glass
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Might sound too simple but how about a new M70 Feather weight in 270 Win? It would be pretty much perfect for what you're looking for, top it off with a Weaver Super Slam 3-15X42 and you'd have a deer slaying machine...one that you could get ammo for just about anywhere in a pinch.

Might sound too simple and work too good, probably should have suggested some big dollar rifle in whatever 6.5 Shwaw-bang is hot right now.... laugh
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Green, A .300 is my main big game caliber..all four or five of them..But like most on this site, rifles are just plain fun..Years ago I picked my three calibers for this area: a .22-250 or Swift, a 25-06, and a .300...I have a 7mm-08,not to impressive to me..But I also just picked up in the spring,a 700 rebarreled with a 26 inch barrel..always wanted that..Now, when I think of my favorite three, the .270 keeps edging in to push out the 25-06...I haven't shot this .270 all that much..but so far have shot coyotes, mulies, and antelope with it..I am impressed..Used 110 Serrias on varmits, and 140 grain Horn. and Serria's on the other game..If I get a chance in the next couple days, I may take an elk with it. Also plan to add whitetails before hunting closes for the year..While I like the .25-06, several times on longer shots, it did not provide the shock to the game that I prefer...Here I am sure the 270 would have the edge due to more bullet wt..IF my middle rifle were going to do lots of service as a long range coyote, rockchuck, etc. rifle, Iwould go with the .25-06. If it were mainly a big game rifle then I would go with the .270.. I would scope it with at least a 4-12..my .25-06 has a 4-14..When I get switched around and get a couple more scopes, the .270 will probably have one also....

Agreed.....and with all of it.And with Cowboy Tim as well.
Posted By: 30mmplumber Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
UncleBigGreen--My 2 cents,,, 270 win or the 25-06 would be my picks.
Also, what does Tanner's sister look like?
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
25-06 or 270 win.
Originally Posted by 30mmplumber

Like time spent in jail.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
What about the .257 & .270 Weatherby's?
Posted By: medicman Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by KDK

Like time spent in jail.

And given her choice of rifle and ability to use it,she is way too sensible to get approached by the likes of us.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
.243 Win, .25-06 practical, just about right.

.270 WCF or WSM would do ya real well also.
Throwing big muleys in my pref would go to the .270's but that's just me. The .243 and .25 are certainly capable. Of those two, I like the .243 better myself.

OK, it's looking like 25-06 or 270. Both are excellent choices. I'll likely go 25-06 just so I can be a little different... which leads to...I also liked the comment about the 6.5s. Ha. They're cool, but there are so many of them and none of them are all that common. That may be why I only mentioned the 260.

I'll get back to you guys after I get my tax return. After that, I should never have to buy another rifle, right? wink
OK, it's looking like 25-06 or 270. Both are excellent choices. I'll likely go 25-06 just so I can be a little different... which leads to...I also liked the comment about the 6.5s. Ha. They're cool, but there are so many of them and none of them are all that common. That may be why I only mentioned the 260.

I'll get back to you guys after I get my tax return. After that, I should never have to buy another rifle, right? wink

Not to mention keeping your heterosexual status. grin
Oh yeah, the reason for the thread so long before I'd buy is that I just shot my 2nd goat (1st buck) just over a week ago. A plains deer/antelope rifle is fresh in my mind and a good excuse for crowding my safe.
Originally Posted by KDK

Ha! That must be why the 25-06 is more appealing. I'm getting the impression that there's some ribbing given to the O'Connor fans on this site.
Like somebody way younger and meaner than you with a tee-ball bat.

You might as well go with the 270. I've heard those guys are a little different.... grin laugh
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by KDK

Nothing gay about how effective the 270 is on deer, just crank up some 130gr Grand Slams to 3000fps over 60gr of 7828 and....BANG!!! flop.

You might as well go with the 270. I've heard those guys are a little different.... grin laugh
You HAVE a .270!
Oh chit, I forgot....ooops.... sick cry...but my new 375 makes up for the gayness... laugh
Posted By: RickF Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
About the best using 25-06 I have had is a M700 SPS stainless barreled action in a first generation Ti take-off stock. A Leupold 3.5-10X40 on top with an M1. Not tons of money tied up in the rifle and a very well balanced field rig.

Actually I had two set up that way, never seem to keep the good ones!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by KDK

Geezz...the only gays I see on here are the one's who DON'T use a 270.... whistle

If you have one(or more)you can forget all that other stuff. cool
Posted By: johnw Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Thanks, Stantdm and WCH. It's sounding like the 25-06.

WCH, I don't have quite as powerful 22s. I'll make due with my .223s, but I ain't going to argue. Your picks are great ones.

if you begin to use a 25-06, your fast .30 will likely begin to stay at home...
Posted By: thismortalcoil Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
280 the better 270
Posted By: Winnie Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil
280 the better 270

.308... the better 280.
Winnie, now I know you are smoking crack.
grin

I'm stirring the pot...
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Feed the sickness if you must. But, why not load some 130TTSX, get another scope with your desired top end, and switch to a mounting platform that will allow you to remove the scope and rings together. That way you can switch scopes when you switch loads. Just a thought
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Originally Posted by thismortalcoil
280 the better 270

.308... the better 280.

Boy, you fell and hit your head. wink
The .308 is bigger than a .284 diameter bullet... thus it is better.

It's fun to be the chit stirrer. laugh
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
So again, for the record, tell me why the .308 Win is such a wrong answer.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Because they like the smaller .277's and .284's. They can't comprehend something working so well so they have to throw schit at it...

grin
Posted By: colodog Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
UBG, I'm surprised no one has suggested Buy Both!
In my search for the perfect cartridge I have had more fun and learned more with a Savage 110 and multiple barrels.
Of those mentioned so far I have .25-06,.260rem and.270win.along with several others smaller and larger.
Don't suffer with only one more, buy two!
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
.308s are cool !

Still a 7-08 is my all-rounder recommend to add to this thread..... cool

Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
The 308/7.62 worked just fine at 400 yds for this old curmudgeon[the other old curmudgeon on the right] on our Wyoming speed goat hunt ! wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Because the 30-06 is the right answer... whistle

But in regards to the OP's question I think the 25-06 could be ur huckleberry but if you want a short action then the 7-08 or 7-08AI.

I had a 25-06 and loved it, wish I still had one but can't keep them all. That thing worked very well for my wife on deer here.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
Deer & Pronghorn? I used my trusty .25-06 Rem 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold a couple of days ago. Once again, it worked like a champ.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Light recoil. Good accuracy. Lethal as all get out. I used the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to 3150 fps. Also zapped a coyote at 420 yards.

Guy

Originally Posted by colodog
UBG, I'm surprised no one has suggested Buy Both!
In my search for the perfect cartridge I have had more fun and learned more with a Savage 110 and multiple barrels.
Of those mentioned so far I have .25-06,.260rem and.270win.along with several others smaller and larger.
Don't suffer with only one more, buy two!

Awesome thinking! The context of this thread is now changed to "which one should I buy first?"
Originally Posted by GuyM
Deer & Pronghorn? I used my trusty .25-06 Rem 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold a couple of days ago. Once again, it worked like a champ.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Light recoil. Good accuracy. Lethal as all get out. I used the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to 3150 fps. Also zapped a coyote at 420 yards.

Guy

Very nice animals!
Posted By: Waders Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/21/12
I'll toss in my vote for a .25-06 (AI if you want cool points!) I really enjoy it for any deer-size game. Here's me and my Wyoming antelope from a few years ago:

[Linked Image]
Am I hijacking my own thread if I say that if you had to have one rifle for CO that the 300 WSM is a great (but not the only) choice? Back on topic, I'm looking for something to fill a gap between the .223 and the 300 WSM that's suitable for goats and deer. I think that I was trying to rationalize buying a 25-06 all along. I'm OK with that and I appreciate all of the encouragement/enablement, other suggestions and mostly the entertaining posts. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Waders
I'll toss in my vote for a .25-06 (AI if you want cool points!) I really enjoy it for any deer-size game. Here's me and my Wyoming antelope from a few years ago:

[Linked Image]

Nice goat! It was worth starting this thread to see all of these pics.
Posted By: Deans Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/22/12
257 ROY will work

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wyoguide Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/22/12
25/06 is my fave
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/22/12
Got a sendero 25-06 but have not shot anything but paper. Really like the gun tho. Will report back after I shoot a couple
Posted By: Waders Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/22/12

Nice goat! It was worth starting this thread to see all of these pics.

Thanks! That one was taken w/ the pictured Rem 700 .25-06 SPS. It was facing me head on, and I shot it right in the base of the neck. Bone fragments from the spine jello-ed a lung and it simply fell back in its tracks.

I also took a buck with a neck shot with this rifle and a 100gr ballistic tip. Another DRT.

The .25-06 gets it done.

Posted By: Monashee Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/22/12
When I decided I'd build an antelope rifle and head south to hunt(theres not many speed goats in BC!),I thought long and hard about calibre selection as I'd have use it for deer as well to justify having the rifle.I probably should have gone to the .257 Roy but thats too easy so I went to a .25-06AI.Its built on a ss 700 action,with a 24" Gaillard barrel in a McMillan KS ADL stock.Weight wasn't my first consideration as I already have lighter deer rifles and I wasn't planning on hoofing it up the local mountains.It's extremely accurate with 100gr TTSXs and even with a Leupold 4.5x14 it still comes in at 7lbs 11oz.Now I just have to get the damned Wyoming draw! Monashee
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/23/12
Back on topic, I'm looking for something to fill a gap between the .223 and the 300 WSM that's suitable for goats and deer.

A .270 WSM wouldn't suck. I just picked up a Browning Ti in said caliber for precisely the same uses that you intend, and it will wear a Leupold 4.5-14x40 CDS.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/23/12
I'm thinking a 25/06 spitting 100gr NBTs or 110 ABs will work okay for my sister (I'd use it if I weren't hunting the same seasons as her). That one gets my vote! Set up something to weigh 7.5-8, 24" barrel please, and no more than 10x on the top end, turrets a given.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tell me a bit about the turrets
Posted By: Tanner Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/23/12
Not too much to say about the turret on that rig, just a Vari-X IIc with an M1 on the elevation. I'll zero the 100gr NBT at 100 yards and slap on a drop sheet out to 500 or so. Not that it'll get used by my sister, but it's fun for me when I shoot it. They sure make hitting things about 10x easier.
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/24/12
I like the 25-06! cool
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/24/12
[Linked Image]

264 Win mag.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/24/12
Not too much to say about the turret on that rig, just a Vari-X IIc with an M1 on the elevation. I'll zero the 100gr NBT at 100 yards and slap on a drop sheet out to 500 or so. Not that it'll get used by my sister, but it's fun for me when I shoot it. They sure make hitting things about 10x easier.

Tanner, I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my vari-x IIC as well. I like the looks of that m1 on yours....Much better than the frictions too I bet...
Posted By: Tanner Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/24/12
I'd say you will really dig it. It's a great setup! The thing that many folks don't get about turrets is that they're useful at all ranges, not just way out there. That scope has educated a few friends laugh
Posted By: 5spd Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/24/12
Heck a 6x45 & .243 does the trick without all the noise!
But since its not on yer list Id go w/the 7mm-08. I have that in a Savage I built for bigger game.
6x45 85g SGKHP at 225 yds below.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Antelope/Deer Rifle - 10/24/12
Oh yeah, the reason for the thread so long before I'd buy is that I just shot my 2nd goat (1st buck) just over a week ago. A plains deer/antelope rifle is fresh in my mind and a good excuse for crowding my safe.

My favorite "plains/prairie goat" gun is my .264 Win. Mag. With a 120 gr Nosler Partition.
With a Leupold 4X12, of course.
© 24hourcampfire