Home
The title says it all.
I like my Montana stocks alot but my M70 Extreme Weather fits and feels the best of any rifle I've owned.
The Bansner on my RS Ruger Whelen.

[Linked Image]
I love my Bell and Carlson Alaskan stocks. They fit me very well. All around.

Then I shot a McM Game Scout....and I'm now saving my pennies. LOL
Echols Legend for magnums; Brown Precision for standard cartridges and lighter rifles.Borden Rimrock is excellent too.
For off hand shooting a Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional stock
My NULA stock is really growning on me. I also love the McMillan Remington Sporter. The two stocks couldn't be more different and the McMillan has been my favorite for the last decade or so but I really dig Melvin's stock.
seems like the old Browning safari bolts fit me best....I like about 14" lop....
Well 2 stocks fit the best for me...if it is competition shooting,, my M14 with its McMillan stock is great,,,for hunting the Mark V Roy is at the top of that list.
For me, I've had great luck with the McMillan KS stock if going with a lighter weight barrel/rifle. And then the Remington Classic Edge for everything else, the Classic is perfect for me.
ZKK 602 hogback
1) Remington Mountain Rifle
2) Remington CDL
3) Montana

Nothin' else has been even close, but that's just me. Shoot what fits ya, & killin' gets much easier.

FC
Remington BDL. Got a McMillan in said style on a Model 70, have a semi-inletted blank patterned from a BDL ready for another Winchester. Oh yeah, and five factory Remington Model 700 BDL's.
Got a Boyds laminate on my 700 that feels good
Kimber Montana
Bansner
Wichester Factory Classic Sporter III stock fits me best. The cheek piece on the stock and my head positioning are absolutely perfect when my rifle is shouldered.
TC Encore Prohunter thumbhole stock fits me best. I shoot it the most though.

NULA 13.5" on my MZ second

I have a shotgun stock fit to me to shoot where I look. I've altered various rifle stocks to make them better fit, but have never spent the cash to have a ground up custom fit rifle stock along the lines of my shotgun. The closest fit to ideal I've had in a rifle stock straight out the box was not an aftermarket fiberglass stock, but it was a recent production Sako 85. It is by no means perfect compared to a professionally fit stock, but it comes suprisingly close to being spot on for my fit. Apparently my dimensions come pretty close to the Sako design.

Best smile
You might think I'm nuts, but I really like this old Fajen, fits me just about perfect.

[Linked Image]
Cowboy Tim I find the Monte Carlo style fits me best as well, from the Weatherby Ultrlight, to my recent Zastava and a McMillan on my M70 all new to me guns have a Monte Carlo. GRF
Browning's straight grip BLRs fit me like a glove for some reason.

Remingtion's Ti, however I no longer own Remington rifles

Ruger Boat Paddles
Ruger M77
M77 MK II
Hawkeye

Pretty much in that order. Just perfect for me, always have been.

The older Ruger 77 stocks come up like they were custom fit for me, as does the Boat Paddles. Strange thing is I have never killed a deer with a Ruger, owned and shot many, just never grab them when time to hunt.
Jay
Originally Posted by jay
The older Ruger 77 stocks come up like they were custom fit for me, as does the Boat Paddles. Strange thing is I have never killed a deer with a Ruger, owned and shot many, just never grab them when time to hunt.
Jay

I got to say that is pretty [bleep] up. If they fit you like that, that's the one I'd grab....Most of the time I am grabbing my Rugers. The M77 is durable as hell and won't let you down either....unlike some of the other pos out there...Not going to mention any names....
I like the Sako Hunter pattern McMillans best, but also do well with Brown Precisions, Bansners, Weatherbys and the B&C configurations on the TI and Winchester Extreme Weathers.
This: Just about perfect for me. "All original" pre 64 fwt with montecarlo and aluminum butt plate:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by teal
Ruger M77
M77 MK II
Hawkeye

Pretty much in that order. Just perfect for me, always have been.

I have a 77mk2, Hawkeye African and several No. 1s. They all fit me better than any other factory stocks I've handled.
Funny how we're all different, BSA. I can tolerate that setup, but even in .30-06, ouch! Difference in body type, etc., kind of make this thread meaningless if you think about it.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Funny how we're all different, BSA. I can tolerate that setup, but even in .30-06, ouch! Difference in body type, etc., kind of make this thread meaningless if you think about it.

Not really, but you are right: what fits one will absolutely not fit another...I hated the B&C stock on the EW I bought from you and put a mcmillan edge on it and now it's great....Good thing there are so many choices and options out there grin
I really like the Sako-ish models if using something with a monte-carlo. If going for more of a straight model, the Remington Mountain Rifle stock fits me really well, as does the CDL. No flies on the reverse-cut forend tip stocks that Remington has used on sporter laminates. I like that stock on magnum contours or boomers if using a factory handle.
One of the first things looked at with a fine shotgun is having the critical dimensions of the stock taylored to fit the shooter so that the gun will mount and shoot where one is looking. Don't see this done too much with the generic stocks of hunting rifles, other than maybe adjusting length of pull. Watched a Youtube video not too long ago that showcased a professional shooter for one of the Euro top shelf hunting rifles. The guy was making incredible fast and furious multiple kills on fast moving driven boar. He stressed the importance of spending the time and money to have a custom stock fit, same as one would do with a shotgun.

We tend to spend tons on optics, pretty wood, big name fiberglass, etc., but, rarely does anyone custom fit a rifle stock.

Later smile
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by jay
Jay

I got to say that is pretty [bleep] up. If they fit you like that, that's the one I'd grab....Most of the time I am grabbing my Rugers. The M77 is durable as hell and won't let you down either....unlike some of the other pos out there...Not going to mention any names....

Yup, that's me, pretty p u.
thanks Jay
Originally Posted by jay
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by jay
Jay

Yup, that's me, pretty p u.
thanks Jay

Nah, I love my Rugers too but I take them out hunting and leave the pre 64's at home. The pre 64 fwt's fit me like a glove so I guess I'm pretty PU'd too grin...Here's my "go to" elk rifle: Ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mark V Roy
Montana so far
I had a Mauser in a B&C Medalist with the cheekpiece that felt really good. Then I had a custom Win 70 in a Brown Precision with the cheekpiece that also felt great. For me, it's become about the cheekpiece with a relatively straight stock. My current gun is a Win 70 EW SS in a the B&C Medalist and it fits just about perfect.
At a standing position in the field the quickest sight picture for me is a M99A with the straight grip stock. Otherwise I like the fit of my Ruger M77s.

[Linked Image]
I have(all on pre 64 M70's)and like mcm compact edge, brown, bansner and rimrock, but when it comes to the best fit for me it is for sure the echols legend.
Bansner and Rimrock in synthetic; pre-64 model 70 fwt and Rem 700 classic in wood
Nice looking, good shooting rifle bsa...
For a Tactical-Style rifle, the Manners MCS-T with a stock pack is by far the most comfortable rifle I've ever shot. It's like shooting while laying on a couch, and is extremely conducive to small-group shooting.

In a hunting rifle, I'm liking the Mickey KS I just got ahold of, but my all-time favorite shape is the pre-64 Model 70 .300 H&H stocks. They are a great design for my body type, and I hold them in pretty high-regard.
Mcmillan Sako Classic
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Echols Legend for magnums; Brown Precision for standard cartridges and lighter rifles.Borden Rimrock is excellent too.

I also like those exact combinations. The McMillan Compact is good on standard cartridges too.

Chet
The factory Kevlar stock on my CZ 550 American 9.3x62 seems fits me the best of all rifles I own. I believe it is made by Bell & Carlson if I'm not mistaken. I like the "chunky" feel. Although less "chunky", my Ruger M77 and Browning X-bolt stainless stalker also fit well.
Look of American Classic fits my eyes best, but my body seems to prefer Monte Carlo w/ long LOP like the Fajen on my Remington-built 03-A3:

[Linked Image]
The ones I made.
Sako hunter from McMillan for me
1minute I best learn to siefer plained from ruff cut.
700 Classic, Ruger #1 Sporters, McMillan KS Model 7 stocks, & Brown Precision FS stocks made for Remington Model 7's back in the early 80's. And since some people use them as slug guns, Remington 870s. (Talk about natural point-ability!)

DMc

The best stock fit for me that I've encountered in over 40 years of trying them all has been Weatherby's Mark V stock of Japenese vintage. The German and USA stocks are not quite as nicely contoured. McMillans copy of Weathery's Deluxe stock is my favorite synthetic model.
Originally Posted by roundoak
At a standing position in the field the quickest sight picture for me is a M99A with the straight grip stock. Otherwise I like the fit of my Ruger M77s.

[Linked Image]

I've got a similar rifle that my aunt had shortened by one inch. Darn thing points better than any shotgun I own.

I don't know if it's stock fit or just overall balance, but current short action Model 70 Featherweights work very well for me.
Remington Mountain Rifle
Echols Legend.

In factory rifles the Cooper 57M stock is amazing. Have never handled their centerfires, but asume they are the same exact profile.
Another Sako Hunter lover.

The Wby and BDL MC styles fit me well too. The Ti style stock works as well.

If I had to choose one it'd have to be the Sako Hunter style.
Hate to say it, but the standard B&C Medalist that i have on an M700 short action just fits right. Had a few McMillans in various shapes, and an HS, but the B&C is the most natural.

Got a Game-scout on order, so crossing my fingers.
© 24hourcampfire