Home
Posted By: thomasgajan favorite rifle - 12/15/12
its been nearly a decade since i posted on this site,under pa deerslayer rifles are a tool my favorite is the 270 whats yours?
Posted By: snubbie Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
I'm currently carrying a .25-06. But I'm right partial to my Marlin 336. Just something about a lever gun. I bought a Marlin in 1977 or 78, my first centerfire and I still own it.
Posted By: johnw Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
i have rifles ranging from .17 to fast .30, and i like them all...

if i had to choose one rifle, it would be a tough choice between my model 70 classic featherweight, and my model 99f savage.

the model 70 is chambered to a more versatile cartridge, but the savage is a thing of beauty grace and slick handling...

i suspect that if i owned a model 99 in either .250 or .243 i wouldn't pick others up, very often, to hunt with...
Posted By: cal74 Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Last few years my favorite has been a Remington Mtn. Guide (SS) 7mm-08

Finally picked up my Kimber Montana .280ai yesterday and if it shoots, I can see it quickly becoming my favorite.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
CZ-550 Premium, .270(soon to be upgraded to a Super Slam 2-10x42 ebx)
Posted By: mart Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
That's a tough call but my old model 70, converted to left handed and rebored to 35 Whelen would be it. The Remington KS Mountain Rifle in 300 H&H and the model 70 400 Whelen both come in pretty close on it's heels.

Mart
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Without question the Winchester 94 30-30 my dad got me for Christmas in 1952. More kills than a dog has fleas.

btw A .270 isn't a rifle. smile
Posted By: kutenay Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
My first P-64 Mod. 70 Alaskan-,338WM, bought unfired in January, 1968. I have had five of these, still have four and about three dozen customized big game rifles, been selling off ones I never seem to shoot, but, this is my sentimental favourite and one of my best shooters.
Posted By: GRF Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
M70 .325 WSM accurate reliable with good glass it fits really well with a McMillan stock in a Monte Carlo style. I am looking for a smaller calibre favorite. Thanks GRF

Merry Christmas
Posted By: sandcritter Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
or, "Old rifles that make my newer rifles obsolete."

Husky 1640 6.5x55, early 1940's I think, properly tweaked by last owner w/ LaPour 3-way and irons removed. FX-II 3x20mm. Honest-to-God hunting rifle and a joy to carry.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: nsaqam Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
My LH Kimber of Oregon M84 in 6x47.

6# 1.7oz of rifle splendor.

That said, I just picked up a LH Stiller with a Lilja #2, Jewell trigger, and stuck in an EDGE that I'm really liking a lot.

Will have to shoot exceptionally to supplant the KoO however.

Oh, the Stiller is chambered for the classically superb .270 WCF!
Posted By: ts300wsm Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Right now its my new Remington mountain ss in 308 BUT I also like my Remington XCR II in 300 RUM
Posted By: DonFischer Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
To date my favorite hunting rifle was my Rem 660 in 308, my son got it home some how! I do have other's here and years past that I have liked but several years ago got a Win Mod 70 Ftr Wt in 6.5x55 that I do love. In both rifles it is a combination of handling and sufficient cartridge for the job at hand.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
wood/blue ruger mk2 in 270 win. accurate and bullet-proof. in 2011 i bought myself an fn m70 super grade in 270 win because i thought it would be my do-all, end-all favorite. it's very accurate, and oh so pretty, but it just doesn't do anything for me. gonna either give it away or sell it. there is just something about the mk2 that calls my name. ymmv.
Posted By: Tanner Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
'52 M70 300 H&H Improved
Posted By: Westcoaster Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
My custom SS Model 70 New Haven Classic in 338wm.
Posted By: Kay9Cop Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
My next one.
Posted By: buffybr Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
For many years my favorite rifle was also my first centerefire rifle, a Herter's Model U-9 .30-06 that I later had re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. That rifle put A LOT of elk, moose, and other animals in my freezer and on my walls.

But the rifle that has put the most animals in my freezer, and probably on my walls is Mauser Mark X that I had chambered in .257 AI and that I stocked back in 1978.

However, my favorite rifle now is a .300 Weatherby Vanguard that a few years ago I put in Fancy Claro Walnut and checkered with my favorite multi-panel wrap around pattern. It's (I think) a beautiful rifle that shoots like a laser and hits like the Hammer of Thor.
Posted By: ingwe Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Lets see...my favorite rifle....

hmmmmmm....

Do you mean today ???
Posted By: gunchamp Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lets see...my favorite rifle....

hmmmmmm....

Do you mean today ???
Kinda how I feel. If I'm pressed, maybe my kimber 84l select in 3006. Favorite cartridge, thats easy. 3006!!!!
Posted By: nsaqam Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Originally Posted by Kay9Cop
My next one.

That right there is TFF!

And TF true!
Posted By: sidepass Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
My favorite changes with the task at hand. For the most part my custom FN Mauser in 9.3x62 is. For deer my Kimber Longmaster in 308 winchester is what I carry mostly. Close behind are my 257 Roberts, Rem 700 and Kimber in same caliber.
Posted By: Freezerfiller Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Last year I wasat a raffle and won a m 70 sporter in .270wsm. I put a VX3L 3.5x10x50mm on it. Sub MOA. I would say its slowly becoming my favorite.
I also have a Rem model seven in .223 I sprayed flat white for winter varmint hunting that ranks right up there.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/15/12
Sounds like some of you don't really have a favorite.

You don't sell, or replace your favorite rifle. You enjoy it, and grow old together.
Posted By: Zrack656 Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Steel receiver BLR 308, special ordered from Browning in 1986 with no sights. It currently wears a Leupold Rifleman 2-7. I own several other rifles but always seem to return to my BLR. It is the rifle I would never consider selling.

-Z
Posted By: Mako25 Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Welcome! >kinda, welcome back anywho<
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Sako 75 in 300 RUM. I have killed more game with that rifle than all the others I own combined. It needs a new barrel but I just can't bring myself to tear it apart yet (even though I bought a new Lilja barrel for it). I keep thinking about buying a Brux barrel for it so I can put off tearing it apart. Silly I know.

Dink
Posted By: colorado Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, it's a little much for elk though ...

[Linked Image]
No way I can pick one - I have catagories:

..500 Jeffery, it's a little much for elk though

Sho' is a pretty mule. grin
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
My old model 700 in .300 Win., next my grandfathers model 54 30-06..
In the rimfire catagory, two entries; first is a Stevens Favorite, but the M77/22 is a better rifle.

Short action, small face - goes to a custom 700, chambered in .204 Ruger. It's put the "a" in accurate.

Short action, standard face - tied, between a custom 722, in .300 Savage, and an M77 in 6mm (bone stock, but an early rifle, and has the adjustable trigger).

Short action, magnum face, no entry, and likely won't ever be.

Long actions are dominated by two standard bolt face rifles; one, a M77 in 25-06 that has had trigger work, and accounted for more game, and varmints than the rest combined. It's not however my "favorite". That distinction goes to a custom Mauser, chambered in 30-06, and based off a G33/40 action (if you're Mauser aware, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout).

magnum face - Ruger#1, in 300 H&H - unhappliy, it's been sold.

Magnum actions - none in stock (that belong to me anyway). I am in posession of a 30-378 Weatherby, and for the life of me, can't understand why anybody would want one. A hundred and fifteen-grains of powder, you serious?

*edit: Ruger #1 - magnum face
my grandfathers model 54 30-06..

I envy you the heirloom gun(s). Mine would have been Dad's Enfield, which he "liberated", in 'bout 1945. A former brother-in-law stole, and then sold it.
Posted By: Freezerfiller Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
As I was growing up my Dad was always very anti CZ firearms. I never really understood why. Maybe he had a bad experience with their customer service, I really dont know... But after being a member of this forum for several months I have noticed they have a lot of fans. I dont even know anybody that has one but there are a lot of guys here that love em'. I think I may keep my eyes open for a good deal on one.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
here's a couple of mine will start off with a model 54 30/06
[Linked Image]
here's a savage 99 short rifle in 30/30
[Linked Image]
and 1910 winnie 94 in 25/35 made in 1910
[Linked Image]
also can't forget a ruger flattop 1959 357 mag
[Linked Image]
or a winnie 94 rescued by brother Bill 25/35 made in 1922
[Linked Image]
cool

Vintage, history - all that jazz.

Never owned a 54. 'Bout as "Mauserish" as a rifle can be, without a stripper clip, and thumb slot.
also can't forget a ruger flattop 1959 357 mag

Hey, FOUL!

Dat's not a rifle.

Yeah, the old three-scews -- though .45 Colt is my choice -- are hard to beat for single actions. Built to take whatever you can feed 'em.
here's one of brother Bill's favorite a savage 99 a barrel band 30/30
[Linked Image]
and Dr. Death a model rem 14 in 30 remington cut down to a carbine
[Linked Image]
sorry about the flattop it is one of my favorites! I got caught up in the moment!
sorry boy's I got the sickness bad!!!!!!!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Marlin 336 30.30 made in 1953. That gun was simply made for me! I can't imagine a rifle handling any better when on the move.

Right behind it is an FN Model 70 Featherweight in .270 WSM. This rifle is amazing! Everyone that shoots it loves it.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Originally Posted by sandcritter
or, "Old rifles that make my newer rifles obsolete."

Husky 1640 6.5x55, early 1940's I think, properly tweaked by last owner w/ LaPour 3-way and irons removed. FX-II 3x20mm. Honest-to-God hunting rifle and a joy to carry.
[Linked Image]

love it

Posted By: rockchucker Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Originally Posted by nsaqam
My LH Kimber of Oregon M84 in 6x47.

6# 1.7oz of rifle splendor.

That said, I just picked up a LH Stiller with a Lilja #2, Jewell trigger, and stuck in an EDGE that I'm really liking a lot.

Will have to shoot exceptionally to supplant the KoO however.

Oh, the Stiller is chambered for the classically superb .270 WCF!

but i got the blue swede that u will never own smile
Posted By: wrench_man Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
The one that leaves my safe the most often is my '50 Marlin 336A 35 Remington, with the vintage Weaver K-4 on top and puting the 200 CoreLoct's where I want them to go it's hard to beat!
Posted By: thomasgajan Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
for many years my favorite was a 700 rem bdl in 25-06
Posted By: jwall Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
thomas -

I had to go back and check, yep, two 'similar' threads, no criticism.

THIS thread:

My favorite rifle -- Win 70 XTR Featherweight.

I like others as well but that '81 style stock & checkering just lights my fire.
Posted By: jwall Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Originally Posted by sandcritter

[Linked Image]

Man ! That is a 2 - K O O L pic. cool cool
Posted By: deg967 Re: favorite rifle - 12/16/12
Favorite Deer rifle Model 70 Featherweight Classic. Any non magnum caliber.
Ruger UL prolly 2nd
Posted By: jwall Re: favorite rifle - 12/17/12
Originally Posted by jwall
thomas -

I had to go back and check, yep, two 'similar' threads, no criticism.

THIS thread:

My favorite rifle -- Win 70 XTR Featherweight.

I like others as well but that '81 style stock & checkering just lights my fire.

Pic Added:

[Linked Image]

THAT !!

In yrs past I was ADDICTED to the Rem M 6 pumps. Still really like them and have 'some'.

But I have fallen head over heels for the 'CLASSY', slim, trim, svelte, CURVACEOUS Featherweight.
(really don't mean to be redundant)
Posted By: castnblast Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Brno 21H 7x64
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kutenay Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Is that one that Jan re-did the bolt handle on, when he was still with Martini Gunmakers?

One of mine has an original ZG-47 bolt handle done that way by them, I like it, but, have found a couple of longer Obie-style bolt handles and am having these installed on a couple of my other 21/22 rifles.

I still prefer the factory "round bolt" in these to any other rifle I have ever seen and the one I have is well used, pristine bore and shoots like the proverbial lazer.

To date, I have owned 8 of these superb little rifles, kept 6 as a couple had minor cosmetic issues and I have several ZGs as well. I have never seen an original 7x64B, I would do almost anything to get one of those actions to go with the ZG action I have to build a pair in 7x64B and 9,3x64B......great stuff,eh! smile
Posted By: navlav8r Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
I have favorite(s) but not A favorite. I just have to make sure I have the right ammo when I walk out the door grin
Posted By: castnblast Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by kutenay
Is that one that Jan re-did the bolt handle on, when he was still with Martini Gunmakers?

That's the one. Wish he wasn't so far away!
I am currently getting an original round bolt, single trigger 21H 8x57IS worked on by my local gunsmith, dropped it off last week to get a NECG three position locking safety and bolt shroud installed. When it's done it just might be my new "favourite"!
but if I could find a ZG47 in 9.3x62 I might have to reconsider that...
Posted By: BoltactionMan Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
As of now my CLR in '06, right out of the box.

KC
Posted By: TATELAW Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Mine was my Vanguard S2 in 257Wby. I made the mistake of letting one of my best friends borrow it. He said I couldn't have it back and would have to accept cash instead.

I'm ok with it, kinda been wanting to upgrade to a 257Wby in a Mark V action anyway. Just haven't seen the right one pop up in the classifieds. If I'd known mine wasn't coming home, I would have jumped on Safariman's custom Pre-64 when it came back up for sale a few weeks ago!
Posted By: nmitchell Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Mine would be a tossup of Ruger tang safety ultralight in .257 Roberts or my Rem Mountain Rifle blue/walnut in 30-06.

Neil
Posted By: DMc Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Hmmmmm, Eenie, Meenie,Minee, Moe...., One potato, two potato....

300 Savage ADL:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc
Posted By: ChipM Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
For sentimental reasons the 336, 30-30 Marlin I got from my parents at the age of 12. Then it was a 338-06 Weatherby SBGM that converted me to a bolt gun guy. For the last couple of seasons it has been a Weatherby SS Carbine in 7mm-08. Now I have another 7mm-08 coming soon bought off the fire that may take its place, you never know.

The Marlin 336
[Linked Image]

Weatherby 7mm-08

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
I'm fortunate to own some nice hunting rifles so, this is a tough one. My favorite is probably my pure stock Ruger 358 Win M77 Hawkeye. It shoulders well, it is a pleasure to shoot and, reloading accurately for this caliber is quick and easy. A close second is my CZ 550 American in 9.3x62....it is almost a toss-up.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12

One of mine has an original ZG-47 bolt handle done that way by them, I like it, but, have found a couple of longer Obie-style bolt handles and am having these installed on a couple of my other 21/22 rifles.

I still prefer the factory "round bolt" in these to any other rifle I have ever seen and the one I have is well used, pristine bore and shoots like the proverbial lazer.

To date, I have owned 8 of these superb little rifles, kept 6 as a couple had minor cosmetic issues and I have several ZGs as well. I have never seen an original 7x64B, I would do almost anything to get one of those actions to go with the ZG action I have to build a pair in 7x64B and 9,3x64B......great stuff,eh! smile

Kute, I have been offered a 21 7x64 Brenneke by a Gentleman I know in Queensland....he also has a ZG47 in the same chambering.
Both are close to pristine.
Posted By: whitedogone Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Savage Edge
Posted By: hillestadj Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
For me its a tie between my 3 Browning Aceras for first place. CZ 527 Target Royal comes in a close second. I have much nicer rifles that those 4 but for some reason they get picked up the most.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Probably my favourite, though not the one I hunt with the most, and not even the one I shoot the most is a Ruger #1 in 405 Winchester topped with a Leupy 2-7X33 VX-II. Shoots really accurately, and hammers both ends if you want to chase a 300 grainer downrange at 2500 fps.

[Linked Image]

And here's a 100 yard group I shot with hunting speed ammo as above.

[Linked Image]

For purely nostalgia, it would have to be the 1948 Browning pump 22LR that Mom gave to Dad for his birthday the year they got married. He willed it to me. I have no idea how many bullets have been chased out the muzzle on that one, but Dad told me that he used to buy a brick every payday (2 weeks). Still light matches with it.
Posted By: Woodmaster750 Re: favorite rifle - 12/18/12
Remington 750 in 30-06.
Posted By: jwall Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
Shootist :

I have a great admiration of the # 1s. I've had a few in the past, all.270s.

Regardless of cal/cart my preference is for the model similar to yours.

I like the A H forends and 22" blls. SWEET!

The TC encores are NOT in the same league w/# 1s.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
700 ADL .30-06 with it's vintage Weaver widefield 3-9x40
Posted By: RDFinn Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
Got 4 favorites these days,meaning I trust them to hold POI,function flawlessly,go bang when I want them to regardless of conditions,and I have killed with them.

They are:

-pre 64 M70 in 375H&H with Krieger tube and Brown stock.
-pre 64 M70 FW 270 with Krieger tube and Brown Pound'R.
-pre 64 M70 FW 270 with factory metal and McMillan Compact Edge
-Simillion M70 Classic 7mm Mashburn Super with Krieger tube and Echols Legend Edge.
Posted By: jwall Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
BobNH -

WRONG --------- too many answers!!

? is Favorite RIFLE ?

Could it be UR fav is Pre 64 ? guessing of course!! grin
Posted By: rta48 Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
favorite rifle? without a doubt my LH Sako Mannlicher Carbine .308 (thanks John Wooters)-

Ruger 270, its been bedded and the trigger tuned.

I have others that I really like. I have a Cooper 280 AI that's scary accurate, but it doesn't feel like the Sako or Ruger does, when I am in the field.

Randy
jwall: OOPS! blush

Pre 64 M70 270 FW....not much doubt about it. cool smile
Posted By: kutenay Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
Originally Posted by castnblast

That's the one. Wish he wasn't so far away!
I am currently getting an original round bolt, single trigger 21H 8x57IS worked on by my local gunsmith, dropped it off last week to get a NECG three position locking safety and bolt shroud installed. When it's done it just might be my new "favourite"!
but if I could find a ZG47 in 9.3x62 I might have to reconsider that...

I had seen only TWO of these in 40+ years of very active gun collecting and then "Tradex" found some in, I think, Sweden, and there are probably a few dozen now in Canada. I have the two I mentioned and also a complete action from a "donnor" ZG 9,3 and am not yet quite certain exactly what to build on it.

I was hoping to find a second 21 like your 8x57 and then, using it and the ZG, have Ralf build me a pair of "dream rifles" for my final project. However, while my wife offered this as a 65th b-day gift in 2011, her health issues made her retire and our income dropped accordingly. So, that is one fantasy about guns that I will not fulfill, but, I have no complaints and have or have had almost everything I have ever really desired.

I just sold one of my pair of ZG-.30-06s to a really fine chap in Alberta, so, now have a total of 11 of these rifles and I might try to buy an original ZG in 8x64B, that a friend owns....something different and quite an interesting cartridge, loaded with 200 gr. NPs, eh.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Got 4 favorites these days,meaning I trust them to hold POI,function flawlessly,go bang when I want them to regardless of conditions,and I have killed with them.

They are:

-Simillion M70 Classic 7mm Mashburn Super with Krieger tube and Echols Legend Edge.

You mean like one of these two dogs ?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grin grin
Posted By: kutenay Re: favorite rifle - 12/19/12
Very nice, really like the understated and practical style and they have that "look", as in " get'er done".

What chambering(s), bbls, etc?
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by BobinNH

They are:

You mean like one of these two dogs ?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grin grin

RD: You rascal! cool Yeah a pair of Mashburns will work pretty well, too!

Merry Christmas Roy and thanks for the post! smile
Very nice, really like the understated and practical style and they have that "look", as in " get'er done".

Those are Bob's retro, military surplus rifles............. grin
Those two rifles just ooze classic first class hunting rigs there Bob. Well, except for the scopes anyway.

Kutenay: Those are a pair of M70 Classics,both in 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum.Barrels are both 24" Krieger #2's, 9 twist.Both chambers cut with Dober's reamer.

The one on the left is mine;built by Gene Simillion on an early M70 Classic action,originally a 270...Williams recontoured BM,trigger recontoured. Action opened to H&H length with Echols box,Dakota-style follower. Stock is an Echols Edge,was bedded by Gene and paint job was done in D'Arcy's shop to a black with brown speckle.Leupold DD dovetails for mounts and the scope is a fixed 6x36 LR.

When I decided to build that rifle,my pal wanted to do one as well,and the one on the right is his with a Classic action and all metal by Gene.I believe his BM is Blackburn with trigger recontoured.Stock is another Echols Edge with bedding and paint job by Charlie Santoni.Mounts are Talley LW and scope is a 3.5-10X Leupold.

These two rifles were (are) our test beds for the 7mm Mashburn Super,and both shoot good and deliver typical Mashburn velocities.

Like Roy said, they came out pretty good for Milsurp... wink grin
Posted By: Konnari Re: favorite rifle - 12/20/12
I have two favourite rifles: First is my Sauer S-202 in 30-06 (I also have an extra barrel in 9.3x62) and the second is my Sako 85 Varmint in 260 rem. But the rifle I tend to use the most is my Sako 85 Gray Wolf in 300WM for some reason !

Sauer S-202 30-06 with S&B 2.5-10

[Linked Image]

3 shots @ 100 metres with Sierra Game King 165 gr. HP

[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Varmint 260rem.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
The one I am packing at the moment.
Posted By: BrianSin Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
I have two, a rem 700 8mm rem mag, built in 80. And a CZ 550 in 505 gibbs.
Posted By: Tracks Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
Over the last ten years I've learned to love my Rem 700 ADL 338-06 more and more.
23" Lilja, Banser stock, Leupold 2.5X8
It's perfect for my hunting needs.
A little Sako 338-08AI runs a close second but one of my Grandsons claims it every hunting season so I only get to use it on the range. grin
Posted By: Whelenman Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
264 win and 35 Whelen
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by rta48
favorite rifle? without a doubt my LH Sako Mannlicher Carbine .308 (thanks John Wooters)-

Ruger 270, its been bedded and the trigger tuned.

I have others that I really like. I have a Cooper 280 AI that's scary accurate, but it doesn't feel like the Sako or Ruger does, when I am in the field.

Randy

That's funny. Same here with a 1964 Sako Mannlicher Carbine .308....thanks also John Wooters. A real dream in the woods with an older 2x8 Burris Signature on top.

Next favorite is a recent find, a Browning Safari High Power in .257 Roberts made in 1969....very rare, approx. 25 made in that caliber. Still can't believe I stumbled into that. Best gun buy I ever made. Photo below.......

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kutenay Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
Boy, THAT is a score!

I have quite a number of relatively rare and highly desirable hunting rifles and have sold many of my nicest specimens, due to advancing age and no heirs to leave my guns/gear to. But, I have, in my almost 55 years of active gun nuttery of the worst type, NEVER seen one of those and I have shopped for decades at two of Canada's largest Browning dealers plus haunted gunshows.

YMMV, but I would HAVE to hunt that rifle and would install a Micky Edge in the Browning Classic model, perhaps my favourite of my many synthetic handles and just giv'er. 115 NPs at close to 2900 would, IMHO, do the business on any deer and without recoil or blast.

Good for you in getting it and I hope you shoot many BIG ones with it! smile
Posted By: jwall Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by Whelenman
264 win and 35 Whelen

What R I F L E S ?

If you don't mind my asking?????
Posted By: lawnman Re: favorite rifle - 12/25/12
If I were to through a rimfire out there.....My vintage Marlin 39a and 39a Mountie. Make me feel like a kid again!
Boy, THAT is a score!

I have quite a number of relatively rare and highly desirable hunting rifles and have sold many of my nicest specimens, due to advancing age and no heirs to leave my guns/gear to. But, I have, in my almost 55 years of active gun nuttery of the worst type, NEVER seen one of those and I have shopped for decades at two of Canada's largest Browning dealers plus haunted gunshows.

YMMV, but I would HAVE to hunt that rifle and would install a Micky Edge in the Browning Classic model, perhaps my favourite of my many synthetic handles and just giv'er. 115 NPs at close to 2900 would, IMHO, do the business on any deer and without recoil or blast.

Good for you in getting it and I hope you shoot many BIG ones with it! smile

Definitely plan on hunting it, just like my Sako Mannlicher, which I've been hunting with for years and looks as good as the day I bought it.

Browning only shows records for two or three, but they acknowledge some additional ones exist. The 25 number is probably pretty accurate according to them. I did get a letter from Browning verifying mine as to serial number, year of production, barrel length, sights, date of sale etc.

Came with Buehler bases and rings. The rings on it were #8's which are high. I found a pair of #6's which are low. Putting a vintage 2x7 Redfield Widefield Accu Range scope on it, unless I find a nice vintage Browning scope that I like better.
Originally Posted by lawnman
If I were to through a rimfire out there.....My vintage Marlin 39a and 39a Mountie. Make me feel like a kid again!

Agree...Have a 39D. Nice little rimfires.
Posted By: dubya Re: favorite rifle - 12/26/12
My Kimber Montana 338 Federal. It'll take anything in NA I could ever dream of hunting all in a light, accurate and good lookin package with a CRF action!
Oh and a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32 laying low on top.
Posted By: Grunt_0351 Re: favorite rifle - 12/26/12
This one....

[Linked Image]

Was a gift from my father for my 16th birthday. Custom Remington 700 in .280.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: favorite rifle - 12/26/12
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Whelenman
264 win and 35 Whelen

What R I F L E S ?

If you don't mind my asking?????

Ruger 77 in the Whelen Model 70 in 264
Posted By: mooshoo Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Originally Posted by mooshoo
here's a couple of mine will start off with a model 54 30/06
[Linked Image]
here's a savage 99 short rifle in 30/30
[Linked Image]
and 1910 winnie 94 in 25/35 made in 1910
[Linked Image]

my new favorite 250 savage 99 barrel band
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
mooshoo, some fine guns there..I have my grandfathers model 54 '06...Sold most of my Savages..Still have a couple 94's and Marlins..Had one of them rebarreled to .25-35..A fun caliber..
Posted By: mooshoo Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
mooshoo, some fine guns there..I have my grandfathers model 54 '06...Sold most of my Savages..Still have a couple 94's and Marlins..Had one of them rebarreled to .25-35..A fun caliber..

here's one of my 25/35's super cool and very fun to shoot, also killed a deer with this one when she wore 26" octagon barrel
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
The top one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
[Linked Image]

So far, my 1986 mountain rifle in .270. Talleys, Leupy 2.5-8, just added a montana sling. Perfection IMO. Killed my first deer with it this season. I have a stainless .30-06 mountain rifle take off I might throw on in the spring for a little more versatility.
Posted By: Paul_C Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Mine is a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308. We are so comfortable together. We know each other so well. She just feels good in my arms even if she's not the best looking one in the safe. And I trust her.

Of course my 2 FN M70s are beautiful rifles (.270 Fwt and .243 Ultimate Shadow) and my M77 30-06 has nice wood and a handy 20" barrel. And my Ruger Deerfield .44 Mag begs me to take her into the creek bottoms and do bad things with her.

But "Hanna" and I are like one. Yes I name my rifles.
Posted By: efw Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
My Mauser 1996 Straight-Pull in 30-06, recently added a 1" Decelerator & 1" extension, oil/poly refinish, Montana sling, and a Burris FFII 6x. Shoots 130 TSXs and 165 Interlocks extraordinarily well:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
have I already commented on this thread? My favorite centerfire rifle is this one:

[Linked Image]

savage model 16 in .250 savage. a pleasure to carry and shoot. Leupold stays set on 6x
Posted By: Laguna Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Even though I don't own one, my favorite cartridge is .280 Rem. It might just be the perfect cartridge for all North American game.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Originally Posted by Laguna
Even though I don't own one, my favorite cartridge is .280 Rem. It might just be the perfect cartridge for all North American game.

I once read a piece by the editor of American Rifleman that pretty much said the same thing.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
This month its my T3 Stainless Hunter in 3006 and as always my Brno Model 2 .22LR grin
Posted By: wageslave Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Mine is a sucks, .243 ai. in a Ti.
Originally Posted by Laguna

And here is me thinking that your big gay easter bunny costume festooned with .280 shells would be just smashing when you attend the next gay mardi gras.

p!ss off raisin.
Posted By: JGray Re: favorite rifle - 12/28/12
Not my favorite "hunting" rifle, but would have a harder time parting with it than anything else in the safe...

Shiloh Sharps - bought off the rack in Big Timber as a No. 3 Sporter in 45-90 with 32" heavy barrel and standard wood. After shooting it for a couple of years, had it re-stocked in extra fancy, AA finish, accent line cheek piece, bedded forend w/ ebony tip, ebony pistol grip, bone & charcoal pack color case hardening, and shortened the barrel to 28". I guess now it's a Saddle Rifle:

[Linked Image]
And I am betting that it is bucket loads of fun!
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Probably my favourite, though not the one I hunt with the most, and not even the one I shoot the most is a Ruger #1 in 405 Winchester topped with a Leupy 2-7X33 VX-II. Shoots really accurately, and hammers both ends if you want to chase a 300 grainer downrange at 2500 fps.

[Linked Image]

And here's a 100 yard group I shot with hunting speed ammo as above.

[Linked Image]

For purely nostalgia, it would have to be the 1948 Browning pump 22LR that Mom gave to Dad for his birthday the year they got married. He willed it to me. I have no idea how many bullets have been chased out the muzzle on that one, but Dad told me that he used to buy a brick every payday (2 weeks). Still light matches with it.

There is mysticism in a beautiful single shot rifle.
Originally Posted by JGray
Not my favorite "hunting" rifle, but would have a harder time parting with it than anything else in the safe...

Shiloh Sharps - bought off the rack in Big Timber as a No. 3 Sporter in 45-90 with 32" heavy barrel and standard wood. After shooting it for a couple of years, had it re-stocked in extra fancy, AA finish, accent line cheek piece, bedded forend w/ ebony tip, ebony pistol grip, bone & charcoal pack color case hardening, and shortened the barrel to 28". I guess now it's a Saddle Rifle:

[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful rifle.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/29/12

My favorite is my 99 in 300 savage.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: favorite rifle - 12/29/12
I don't have a favorite...I love them all, just like my kids grin
Posted By: NH K9 Re: favorite rifle - 12/29/12
If forced, I guess it would be my 7600 carbine. I love all of 'em, but that's what seems to get grabbed when I reach into the safe.

George
Posted By: kutenay Re: favorite rifle - 12/29/12
Originally Posted by JSTUART
The top one.

[Linked Image]

Details, mate, details!!!!

I have one safe half-full of these gems!
Posted By: JGray Re: favorite rifle - 12/29/12
Originally Posted by JSTUART
And I am betting that it is bucket loads of fun!

Most fun I've ever had shooting - puts a big grin on my face every time I pull the trigger!
Posted By: stumpman Re: favorite rifle - 12/29/12
I just shot me new favorite rifle. I bought this Model 7 308 a while back and topped with a new Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm. It shoots factory ammo great better then any model 7 I have owned and it looks good with it's new stock on it. Light weight and a great shooter can't beat it. Not the greatest pic but the only one i have right now.

Attached picture Model 7.jpg
Posted By: mmgravy Re: favorite rifle - 12/30/12
Have to agree with bsa...............
Posted By: wpgtkd Re: favorite rifle - 12/31/12
My new Tikka T3 270win topped with a 2.5-10x50 Nikon Monarch.
© 24hourcampfire