Home
That fat jolly old fellow is quite a nice dude... smile
He found one of the Grice run 35 Rem Carbines just for me!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice.

David
That's a nice rifle. I would like a 35 Rem in a Remington model 14 in good shape, as well.
Happen to know where any others are hiding?
Originally Posted by CRS
Happen to know where any others are hiding?

Took Santa several months to find this one.... reaching the ends of the internet.
Real nice gun in one of my favorite "woods cartridges".
Was that a special run Remington did?
Great "all-around" rifle and round.
That is a pretty little Rem Pump in a great woods cartridge
Nice, looks like you are having a Merry Christmas.
Nice. I load 200gr Hornady FTX bullets for my 350 mag @ 35 Rem velocity and it's an accurate load.
Very nice!
I am glad one of those 35's called to me when they first came out. I have been tempted to sell it a few times, but can't do it. My 35 just seems to have good mojo. When I carry it, good things seem to happen. The 35 carbines really are a great rifle.

Dale
super cool pics, love the remington pump guns in 35 rem!
Very Very Nice!
I like the straight-grain walnut on that one.
Merry Christmas indeed!
Very nice present BlackFrog, not something you see every day.
That looks like fun.

A guy could find one in 35 Whelen a bit easier, and load it down (if you can't find one of these like you want).
Very nice, the 35 Rem is a real nice little deer cartridge that is often over looked these days. Wouldn't mind one of those to go along with my 336.
I already have a 7600 Carbine made to 358 Win, and now this can be the matching 35 Rem sister. smile

I had been watching for one of these for a quite a while, I missed a used one last month which was gone within hours of it being posted, and gone by the time I noticed it later in the day.

Nice score!
I don't have many regrets but I let one go a while back. Looked at it for over 2 months in the rack, fondled it, the shop owner said he'd give me a killer deal, and I didn't pull the trigger. My wife finally got sick and tired of me talking about it and said GO. Went back and it was gone.

It would have been nice to have.
I had no idea that Santa had contacts of that caliber ! I'm going to have to get back in touch with him , it's been a while .
sweet
One of the best looking Christmas trees I've ever seen, hard to beat that under the tree:

[Linked Image]
You are absolutely right BlackFrog. That is a fine looking Christmas tree. Santa must really like you.
Awesome... love my 35 Remington Handi. 200 grain Core-Lokts are killers!
Actually this "present" was something I had been searching for some time now. My father (now 81) still loves his deer hunting and deer camp, and always enjoyed special and unique rifles and shotguns. A couple years ago I mentioned that I had seen one of the Grice run 7600 Carbines in 35 Rem. He has always been a 35 Rem fan from the old days, a classic caliber not seen much now.

He never knew the 35 Rem became available in the Grice special 7600 runs. After I mentioned that 35 Rem 7600 Carbine, he thought that would've been a super rifle to have. He would ask about the gun occasionally, wondering if I had ever seen any more, knowing that I keep an eye on the gun/rifle boards for interesting stuff. I looked for a while, but none ever seemed to turn up, or if one did surface it was gone immediately.

I found this one recently, and was thrilled to find it. It was delivered to my FFL on Christmas Eve, just in time.
I packed the Remington box in an oversized outer box, wrapped it all up, and put it under the tree with my Dad's name on it.

Christmas morning came with little kids ripping presents open and wrapping paper flying everywhere.
I waited until the end to put that big box in his lap. Of course he had NO idea what was in that huge box with his name on it.

He pulled at the wrapping in wonderment, not knowing what in the world was in there, picking through the bubble wrap to get to the inner box.
He finally saw the end label of the Remington box that said "7600 18.5" Barrel 35 Rem".

His face said it all- complete shock and surprise.
Seeing the thrill of his delight was worth the price of any fine rifle in the world.
He was saying half under his breath, "I'm over 80 years old, and no one has ever given me a rifle before...".
I was a little slow in trying to capture the moment, but needless to say I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas.
[Linked Image]
I'd love to find one of those! Congrats and well done. With a bit of brass trimming, it'd be legal for deer here in Hoosier-ville.
That's quality stuff right there. I have about reached the point that I enjoy gifting firearms as much as I enjoy getting them for myself.
Wow! That's awesome! Merry Christmas to you and your father.

David
Nice Hog Rifle
Nice, very nice! Even looks like it has a barrel band on it already cool stuff.

Dober
Yup, barrel band and stock sling stud already installed.
The shop owner had taken this gun in trade quite a while ago, and couldn't absolutely guarantee that this gun had never been shot, but was 99.9% sure that it was still new and unused.

I could not see any evidence of use, no wear at all on the action slide arms.
Not that it would've mattered a whole lot as I was going to buy the gun regardless of NIB or not, it looked perfectly new to me.
I couldn't find a mark on the gun.

I'm not sure who had more fun with this rifle- me locating/buying/wrapping this rifle knowing I had found a needle in a haystack, or my dad opening this up and realizing what it was.

It doesn't get much better than a Christmas feeling like that. smile
Nice find..When I was a kid, my grandfathers best pal used a .35 Rem..he killed a load of deer with that rifle and a bear or so as well..oddly it is one of the few common caliber I have never used or owned..may have to try one..
You are a good man, and fortunate to have your father around to receive such a fine gift, mine was gone before I was 13.
Originally Posted by RDW
....and fortunate to have your father around to receive such a fine gift, mine was gone before I was 13.

Not only am I blessed to still have him around (I just turned 43), but to have him in such good health that he's still deer hunting, climbing tree stands, cutting/stacking wood, etc.

I fully appreciate every outing we get to have together.
That's some special stuff....
Now THAT's and Assault rifle..!

Could do some serious assaulting...

wink

Great story. Great Dad. Great son. Great rifle. The picture of your Dad and the rifle says it all. A great Christmas.

I know how you feel. My brother and I gave my Dad a Marlin 39a lever action 22 LR years ago. He gave my brother and I Marlin 39a rifles when we were 13. We returned the favor and gave him one. He said the same thing... "No one has ever bought I rifle for me." He was 65 years old. He couldn't wait to get it outside to get into a plinking session with us. A memory that will last forever.

It IS better to give than receive. Well done.

Here's a link to an interesting study of 35 Remington bullet tests (expansion). Cut to the chase, the Remington 200 grain jacketed round nose works great.
35 Remington bullet tests

I had two Marlin 336's in 35 Rem (an early waffle top 336A ballard rifled model, and a 336c 20" microgrove version). I'm still trying to figure out why I sold them.
BlackFrog - great Christmas story - now you guys need to get out and drop one with that new rifle! Odessa
There has been some of these on the used rack at Grice's. They did have some new also.
Buttstock- thanks for that link, I'll print that out for Dad- he'll enjoy the reading on the 35 Rem.

I had called Grice earlier this year, nothing there for the 35 Carbine. I kept an eye on the Pennsylvania Hunting forums too (along with several other sites) since they seem to be central concentration of Rem 7600's and Grice.

Having Dad get a shiny new rifle like this give him lots to look forward to in the upcoming months besides a long winter. Figuring out which mounts and scope, sighting it in, and then counting down the next 47 weeks until the next deer season!

I think his birthday will bring a Leup VX3 1.5-5x with Post & Duplex installed, and then for Father's Day a set of Talley LW's.
That was a good thing you did for your dad!
Cool story!
good choice. i bought the same gun several years ago and topped it with tally LW's and a cheap bushnell 4x. it is known around my house as "The Meatmaster". i have gotten my two best bucks with it. it shoots like a dream (after a little trigger job) and will be passed down to my kids someday. i also found its big brother, the very rare whelen 7600 factory carbine a few years ago. the two are inseparable in my collection.
I expect to see photos of your dad with a deer he shot with it next fall!!
Winner!

DMc : )
© 24hourcampfire