Home
Posted By: mp4444 338 fed 185 tsx-not expanding!! - 02/10/13
Hey everyone, I follow the campfire but first time posting.
I have a 338 fed kimber montana and did some dry newspaper bullet tests @ 100y,2 feet thick and was stunned to discover 185tsx @2640fps didnt expand at all, made it to back of box!
I could load it again, tried 2nd time only to have one petal just begin to peel back. (Wish I knew how to post pics).
What gives, are they made for the fast 338's.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, scratching my head if I should take these out on next moose hunt.
Welcome to the Fire

Dober
If it were me, I'd fire a few other types of bullets into that ol' dry newsprint, and see what they did.

Ya got penetration, I'll say that.
I started out useing the barnes 185, then switched to 200gr Fusions and finally speer deep curls( which is what I've beleive are the fusion bullets anyway). The only bullet I've ever recovered was the barnes 185, from a small 6pt shot at aprox 30yrds, through the brisket, it ended up underneath the skin above the opposite back ham. although It seemed to open up perfectly, that was not enough penetration for me, especialy at almost point blank range. I have never recovered a Fusion or a speer (again I think they are one in the same), and although I havent had an opertunity to test them on moose, they have broken the both shoulders of bear and deer, as well as gone length ways through a deer in about the same circumstance as the barnes (started at the back ham, came out the shoulder from 127yrds) My barrel is only 16.5 so they are going a tick or so slower

Here is the barnes
[Linked Image]

Here is the texas heartshot
[Linked Image]
It helps if they are shot into a fluid medium. Just be sure not to hunt dry newsprint with that load.
And be sure to use a CRF action... grin

Dober
Originally Posted by ingwe
It helps if they are shot into a fluid medium. Just be sure not to hunt dry newsprint with that load.

Shooting,dry,fluid,and load in one post grin
Milk jugs stuffed with shredded newspaper and then filled with water? Anybody tried it? Maybe a bit time consuming, but could be cool.
185gr TSX will kill most anything with aplomb, [bleep] the newspaper tests and go kill [bleep].
Originally Posted by mp4444
I have a 338 fed kimber montana and did some dry newspaper bullet tests @ 100y,2 feet thick and was stunned to discover 185tsx @2640fps didnt expand at all, made it to back of box!
I could load it again, tried 2nd time only to have one petal just begin to peel back. (Wish I knew how to post pics).
Any thoughts would be appreciated, scratching my head if I should take these out on next moose hunt.

Welcome to the Forum, where no one hardly argues! I think your next move should be to get a box of 180gr. Accubonds, find the sweet spot and go hunt up a moose.
For those TSX's, there is a Classified section here. whistle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober
Must be a Winchester Featherweight also. whistle
I've shot quite a few 185 TTSXs into magazines and paper and they always expanded perfectly. Two 215 Sierra gamekings left .338 cal holes through about two feet of magazines though. Couldn't even find them in the dirt.
Welcome,
I have not shot any into newspaper, but have taken 6 deer with my Tikka T3 with the 185 TSX. All exited and I did not recover any bullets, but the exit wound was a whole lot larger than the entrance. I wouldn't worry about it, they will work fine.
My one experience with the 185 gr TSX was on a decent bull elk at 290 yards. It was loaded to a bit over 2900 fps from my 338-06. The bull just collapsed at the shot. A quartering away behind the shoulder shot that centered the off shoulder. The bullet was recovered under the hide, lost all its petals and weighed 122 grs.
Hard to beat a 210 grain Nosler Partition out of the 338 Federal for moose.
Originally Posted by prm
I've shot quite a few 185 TTSXs into magazines and paper and they always expanded perfectly.

Were lucky that they expanded. Like others have posted, need water to make them work, sort of. Most animals (like us) are 70% water. The density and fluidity resists the bullet enough so that the energy is diverted to cause the bullet deformation.
Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone.
I figured the dry news print had something to do with the hollow point of the tsx and expansion.
Have'nt shot anything in a fluid median yet but did shoot a bunch of bullets out of several different calibers that day-308,358,444 and the 338 fed.
Read somewhere that dry news print will certainly stress a bullet,if it performs in the dry stuff it will definitely perform in a wet median which more closely resembles a living game aminal.
Mako25, I did shoot the 180 accubond,200 hdy IL and 200 speer hotcore, got mushrooms out of all of them including the other cals in different bullets/weights. Only weird thing was the tsx!
Dropped a young bull moose,apprx 600lbs live weight,at 30y paced, last oct with the 338 fed and the 180 accbnd combo @2750. First shot went just behind leg into lung, ran 10y and dropped on side of road, put 3 more into his chest as he got up and began limping into forest-20y in was a steep drop into a ravine.
Easiest "packing" out job ever, just jack-knifed the truck and trailer and hauled him in with another truck!
After reading some of your experiences with the tsx, I would think it'll do fine on big game-think I'll take Steelhead's advice...
Side note: Have some pics I'd like to share-can anyone direct me to posting them?
Thanks again
[Linked Image]

They seem to do just fine for me. Note: this wasn't a dry doe, it leaked all over the place.

[Linked Image]
I did shoot the 180 accubond,200 hdy IL and 200 speer hotcore, got mushrooms out of all of them including the other cals in different bullets/weights. Only weird thing was the tsx!

Well done, experience is a great teacher, and thanks for sharin' yours.

My take is certain chamberings just don't require a specialized, or "premium" bullet, and the .338 Federal is in that catagory. That's not a knock on the .338 -- I truly like 'em -- I'd happily hunt it with the Speer, or Hornady.
Yup, sure looks like they're expanding just fine!
Anyone have any favorite loads with the 185 tsx?
Have'nt played too much with load workup-getting 2640fps with I3031 at max with 22" tube.
Thanks in advance.
If you can get your hands on Handloader, #254, August 2008, John Barsness (Mule Deer here on the 'fire), has load data for the .338 Federal that I've yet to see surpassed.

No loads for the 185-grain TSX, however there are no less than five bullet/powder combinations that have the velocity, and energy to take critters out to 400-yards. That works.
As for your pics, theres a sticky on the photography forum explaining how to post them.
My take is certain chamberings just don't require a specialized, or "premium" bullet, and the .338 Federal is in that catagory. That's not a knock on the .338 -- I truly like 'em -- I'd happily hunt it with the Speer, or Hornady. [/quote]

That's pretty much my take, based on my limited experience. Shot a 700lbs(approx) bull moose at about 100y,(used truck odometer), right in the hump with a 358 win blr.
Was using 200 hdy Interlock at 2,485fps, moose just collapsed on the spot.
Butcher literally dug out a perfectly mushroomed bullet from one of the vertabrae- text book perfect and man, what a punch that little round packs! Had to see it for myself to believe everything I was reading about it from those that know.
Ingwe-will look into it...thanks
Mako25-appreciate the info..
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Welcome to the Forum, where no one hardly argues! I think your next move should be to get a box of 180gr. Accubonds, find the sweet spot and go hunt up a moose.
For those TSX's, there is a Classified section here. whistle

+1
I see you hunt the .358 Win as well. That same Handloader article I mentioned earlier covered (actually compared) the .338 Federal, and .358 Win.

You'd benefit greatly, as there are loads for the Hornady 200-grain roundnose that'll be steamin' at 2,700 fps, but more importantly - the 225-grain Sierra Game King, at over 2,500 fps, which also makes the .358 Win a 400-yard game-taker.

That Game King load, and one for the 210-grain Speer Hotcore, are all I use in .358 right now. BIG whallop.
Oh, I'd swear by the 358 win after witnessing first hand what it can do. My largest moose, 36" at around 775-800lbs was shot with the same load and rifle,(using RL7 then), at an estimated 250y,(ranged 198y where he fell).
Hit him 3 times in the boiler room, first two were broadsides and third was in the chest head on. Would you believe one of the broadsides went right through?! Exit wound was'nt very large, maybe size of a nickel.
This with a plain jane cup & core bullet at a modest velocity, placement is everything I guess.
Does that article by John Barsness mention the use of Ramshot TAC?
Does that article by John Barsness mention the use of Ramshot TAC?

Yes Sir, in fact, with the heavy bullets in both chamberings, it was the velocity king.
If you want the data from he article let me know. I can scan and e-mail it to you.

-Z
In response to the OP's photo posting question, here's how I do it.

1. Go to Photobucket and set up an account.

2. Download the Photobucket app for your smartphone. This app will automatically upload every photo you take to your Photobucket account online. Saves a lot of time, no need to tranfer photos to your computer and then upload.

3. To put the photo in your post, simply go to your Photobucket account and click on the photo you want to post. This enlarges the photo and gives you a list of options on the right side of the screen. The bottom option is IMG code. Click on this and it will say copied. Go back to your post, right click your mouse, in the drop down menu click on paste. Click on Preview Reply button beneath the reply box and it should show your photo in the post.

BTW, welcome to the Fire!
My best loads were with IMR 8208XBR, there is quite a bit of info in various threads if you do a search.

I have a Federale and tested the 160 and 185 TSX in water jugs and they expanded perfectly. If you are worried about the TSX expanding, use a traditional bullet. The 180 or 200 Ballistic Tip and the 200 hot core are great bullets for the Federal. The 210 Partition is about perfection if you want to go premium.
Hey everyone, I finally figured out how to post pics-I'm a little retarded with computers. Thanks to all for the help.
I got the tsx to expand-3rd time's a charm and no longer doubt its expansion on game as witnessed from pics.
This is what they look like from dry newsprint and penetration from last one was 14in.
[Linked Image]

Hers's last years moose with the 180 accbnd and inside entry hole
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These are all 180 accbnds, 1st one came from dry newsprint box and next three were recovered from moose.
2nd bullet was first broasdside hit-clipped a rib going in and penetrated maybe 6-7in. last two were from chest hits.

[Linked Image]

Thats the kimber with my first attempt at painting the stock.

[Linked Image]

Zrack, thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it.
How do we go about it...
Nice pics! There are lots of good loads in a thread dedicated to good 338 FED loads. For the 185 Barnes (TTSX in my case), TAC and 8208 XBR work very well. I'd give a very slight nod to TAC for less pressure signs at the same velocities.
I've heard good things about Ramshot X-terminator also. Have a pound of it, just didn't try it yet.

If you would use water soaked paper then the TSX bullet will expand. Barnes states that the bullet needs the hydraulics to expand

IMHO and experience dry paper is not a good medium wet pack is much better
John is correct on the hydraulics.
Well I've picked up some xbr8208 and TAC, and according to Hodgdon load data, xbr seems to be the fastest of the bunch- still looking for load data for TAC.
There seems to be some kind of confusion about what kind of primer gets the best results-large rifle or mag for TAC?
I realize I'm probably playing catch up here, can anyone jump in with any info?
I've always used TAC and mag primers 48.5 is where I found the sweet spot, but it is very close to max. As always work up. there is a very good thread here in the reloading forum search .338 fed in big game rifles.
185 TTSX from .338-06 they expand just fine
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://s6.postimage.org/3ppe6625t/DSC00523.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s6.postimage.org/nh5ibhsoh/DSC00569.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s11.postimage.org/9ymmbs3cj/IMG_0738.jpg[/img]
[img]http://s6.postimage.org/sx179635d/trio_barnes.jpg[/img]
Fantastic pics! Thanks for sharing, must have been one heck of an adventure to say the least.
I guess most were pass thru shots. What rifle & load combo were you using.
Cooper Excalibur .338-06 185TTSX over R-15
Some bullets are built to perform well in dry newsprint and sand, while others do best in animal tissue while hunting. I know newspaper is only worth shooting or wrapping dead fish in, but not the test of a hunting bullet.
Don't know about the tsx but my montana in 338 fed loves the 180 accubonds with RL15 or 8208XBR. The one deer I killed with this combo was a complete pass thru and the exit wound was pure devastation so I would say expansion was great.
ballistic gel / not dry paper is a far better method for seeing your bullets performance.
Bowandgun, how far was your shot, where did you hit it-any bone contact, how fast is your load(s)?
Reason I'm asking is because penetration on moose I shot, (posted above) didn't penetrate all that much. To their credit, the 180 accbnds held together incredibly well under high impact and lost about 30% of weight as advertised.
Not complaining, dead is dead, just expected a little more penetration.

[Linked Image]

(Hole in heart from chest shot)

4444, I have in my procession a 150 .308 Accubond that looks very similar to Brads Barnes Banana. I was shocked when I dug it out of the dirt bank it was shot into at 100yds at 2850fps. I shoot a 150gr TTSX in my -06 without any hesitation and I'm a long time Partition and Accubond user.
I guess I never understood the interest in shooting light bullets in the .338 bores. The 225 and 250's have much better BC's, work great at short and long range, and the Partitions, Aframes, Hornadies, and the like never fail to expand when needed. Don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about not enough expansion with the heavier bullets with any kind of medium, but especially animal flesh and bones.

If you want to shoot 180 class bullets, why not just shoot 30-06 and 300 Win Mags for those bullets? The .338 bores are happiest with the heavier bullets, IMHO, and have better ballistics at long range with the heavier slugs.

Bob

Great looking bag- that Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, and Eland are superb! Where were you hunting?

Bob
Well I can speak for myself to the "why use light bullets in 338 cal."
Most importantly for me is to carry a rifle as light as reasonably possible with a lot of "knock down" power (that's my kick), and when you get to 30-06 capacity it's getting up there with a 6lb rifle shooting 225's and up.
Really out there for me in the magnum class, so what I try to do is cheat a little by using the lighter bullets which allows me to push them a little faster and keeps the recoil down while getting the "partial" benefits of a 338 bore.
By going to a bullet like the tsx it allows better penetrating qualities to offset the lower S.D of the light for cal projectile.
That's my line of reasoning, when I read a post about a 458 win mag in a 6lb rifle, I thought to myself what craziness, but to each their own I suppose.
Originally Posted by Sheister
I guess I never understood the interest in shooting light bullets in the .338 bores. The 225 and 250's have much better BC's, work great at short and long range, and the Partitions, Aframes, Hornadies, and the like never fail to expand when needed. Don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about not enough expansion with the heavier bullets with any kind of medium, but especially animal flesh and bones.

If you want to shoot 180 class bullets, why not just shoot 30-06 and 300 Win Mags for those bullets? The .338 bores are happiest with the heavier bullets, IMHO, and have better ballistics at long range with the heavier slugs.

Bob

The problem with the .338 fed is anything bigger than the 210 part takes up too much case capacity. This is the trade-off with having a .338 in a short action with plentiful brass. For my purposes it's not much of a concern.
grin

Great looking bag- that Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, and Eland are superb! Where were you hunting?

Bob
RSA Northern Cape
Originally Posted by pa_gus

Bob

The problem with the .338 fed is anything bigger than the 210 part takes up too much case capacity. This is the trade-off with having a .338 in a short action with plentiful brass. For my purposes it's not much of a concern.

Exactly right. There are tradeoffs for using a short action, 308 based cartridge. In the end though, I don't find it to be a limitation. It shoots a 185 TTSX fast enough to still be doing over 2000FPS at 500 yards (at elevation), and that will kill anything I intend to hunt, as far as I intend to shoot (more actually). Interestingly, if you compare downrange velocities between the 338 Fed and the 30-06, each shooting 180-185s, they are remarkably similar at typical hunting ranges.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
185 TTSX from .338-06 they expand just fine

dvdegeorge, What was nearest and farthest shots you made on your safari and how did the heavier animals react to hits-bang flops/ran a distance and expired?
Which animals did you recover the 3 bullets from?
Closest was 176 yds(Mountain Reedbuck) farthest was 400yds(Springbok). Some dropped some went a short distance shot placement dictates that. 3 recovered bullets were from a frontal shot on the Blue Wildebeest, quartering to at 300 on Zebra and broadside on Eland at 359 yds
Nice, good source of performance info.
Was initially going to rechamber the 338 fed to a 338-284 kcg (similar ballistics to 338-06), got the dies, 100 pcs brass (expanded to .338) and the best powders according to load data.
Then the rifle arrives and I discover there's not enough room in the blind magazine, to seat bullets even moderately out.
Only bullet that was hardly decent before the ogive began to disappear in case mouth was the 200 speer hot cor.
Anyone know if it can be modified to go a little longer.
Don't regret the 338 fed at all, just could have gotten another 250 fps or so-talk about putting the cart before the horse! smile
you don,t need to spend money on premium bullets for use in the 338 fed the speer 200 grain hot core, and hornady 225 grain work rather well in my experience

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...iameter-225-grain-spire-point-box-of-100

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...338-diameter-200-grain-spitzer-box-of-50
I'd stick 210gr partitions in your cases and be done with it. No need for a hard bullet at 338Fed velocities, and the partition will break any bone you ever want to.

It's the same problem people have with the 358win. Guys want to use hard mono-metal bullets for cartridges that don't need them and then they complain about lack of expansion. I remember someone on this forum, or another one, that wanted to use 200gr tsx bullets in his 35 remington!!!!.

IMO,the 308 length case just doesn't generate enogh velocity to warrant a barnes tsx, Nosler e-tip, or Hornady GMX.
Mine is a Tikka T3, replaced the bolt stop and use 06 length mags. It has a rather long throat and now I can use the extra length for more powder. Other rifles may not be able to do this. The 338 Fed is a shot action round and that is it's limitation. The Tikka is a long action, I am now not limited to 210 or so as the max because of the mag length.
Fun thread. Welcome to the 'Fire, mp4444!

I have not run a 338F; no comment there. I've been hunting .358's for a while though, but only on deer. You mentioned RL7; that was nice to see as I've had great luck with up to 200-gn bullets and RL7. TAC is awesome for 225's in .358; that's the only word for it. Stuff goes fast and you don't need to get into a bunch of powder compression. O' happy day.

Seems like you've gotten a lot a great advice so far.

Dvdegeorge, the photos from your safari were very entertaining. I mean that in a nice way. We actually look a lot alike (hey! gimme back my nose!) and two of the photos really made me chuckle. The one in profile is like from GQ.... y'old swordsman..... and the one where you've got some bloody African antelope by the neck and look demented is great too. Thanks for putting them up!

We also look like a dude from the Village People. I thought you should know.
It has long been known that hollow point bullets, like Hornady 52 and 53 grain .224 bullets, often used for accurate varminting, well before polymer-tipped bullets came on the scene, didn't always expand well, sometimes apparently not much at all. So it shouldn't be surprising that harder, homogenous-metallic, hollow-pointed bullets sometimes don't expand well, if at all. I have shot and killed several dozen animals with the monos beginning in the early 90s. I have recovered a reasonable collection of copper as a result. They are a bullet that cannot be bettered when they work well. When they don't, they are not confidence inspiring at all. I have come to the conclusion that John Nosler wasn't wrong with his Partition design, and that it is still a bullet worthy of modern-day consideration. I also believe his widespread promotion of polymer-tipped bullets wasn't a bad idea either. And monolithic bullets are best chosen when they have polymer nose cones.

I'll leave it at that and forgo the recovered bullet pics from animals since your dry-paper specimens pretty much cover the range of poor on-animal expansions I've seen in critters I've killed.
Well, if the TSX condition that the OP mentions is true, than that round combination would be approved by Wisconsins new legislation.
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
I'd stick 210gr partitions in your cases and be done with it. No need for a hard bullet at 338Fed velocities, and the partition will break any bone you ever want to.

It's the same problem people have with the 358win. Guys want to use hard mono-metal bullets for cartridges that don't need them and then they complain about lack of expansion. I remember someone on this forum, or another one, that wanted to use 200gr tsx bullets in his 35 remington!!!!.

IMO,the 308 length case just doesn't generate enogh velocity to warrant a barnes tsx, Nosler e-tip, or Hornady GMX.

I see you're still an idiot.
I just got done loading up a bunch of 338 Fed, 200 grain combined tech with Ramshot x-verminator and cci mag primers. If the weather co-operates I'll have a report tomorrow.
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Mine is a Tikka T3, replaced the bolt stop and use 06 length mags. It has a rather long throat and now I can use the extra length for more powder. Other rifles may not be able to do this. The 338 Fed is a shot action round and that is it's limitation. The Tikka is a long action, I am now not limited to 210 or so as the max because of the mag length.

Smithrjd, I'm on the exact same track right now with that tikka. A friend bought it in 338 fed along with a 30-06 clip, to re-chamber to 338-06 but changed course and re-barreled his BSA instead.
Found smith for re-chamber job to 338 KCG, now just needs to be shipped.
Did you re-barrel or re-chamber yor tikka, what kind of velocities are you getting and with what powders, also have you taken any game with it yet.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I have not run a 338F; no comment there. I've been hunting .358's for a while though, but only on deer. You mentioned RL7; that was nice to see as I've had great luck with up to 200-gn bullets and RL7. TAC is awesome for 225's in .358; that's the only word for it. Stuff goes fast and you don't need to get into a bunch of powder compression.

Abandoned RL7 because max speed was 2485 with 200 hdy il although accuray was just under an inch.
Tried TAC in my 358 BLR and got these results:
200g hrdy IL, 52.0g mx load (from J. Barsness), 200&250cci and hrdy cases got me 2560 fps-(20"tube) with 1.75" groups.
Same vel as I3031 at max, with 200cci's but worse accuracy, usually get 1.25" @100y,(2 touching and one out) and 1.75@ 200y with 1. 5X4.5 Nikon.
H322 does better(same components)@2575 and a shade tighter on grouping.
Realizing it's only a 20" barrel, did I miss something.
Anyone out there getting better speeds out of their BLR's.
My Tikka is stock, stock barrel etc. Changed the bolt stop out and used the 06 length mags to be able to get a longer COL. The Tikka is a long action, the bolt stop makes it a short action throw. I'm getting a bit over 2700FPS with 8208 XBR and the 185g TSX. Charge is 47g but that is about max, I would start much lower. The Tikka's have a rather long throat. I have taken 6 deer with this load none were beyond 75 yards all were pass trough's and did not recover any bullets. Exit wounds were rather massive. In my Tikka right about moa at 100y.
I misunderstood-believed you had rechambered,or rebarreled to 338-284!
I'm at 2640fps with max load of I3031 in my 338 out of a kimber-next powder is 8208 xbr-fastest according to hogdon data. Waiting for a break to head out to the range-will post results.
I'm at 2640fps with max load of I3031 in my 338 out of a kimber-next powder is 8208 xbr-fastest according to hogdon data. Waiting for a break to head out to the range-will post results.

Is that 2640 for the 185 TTSX? If so you'll be happy with TAC or 8208 XBR. Both will get over 2700 comfortably. AA2230 is on my list to try with the 185. It's really good with the 160 TTSX. I have a copy of Barnes load data showing 2798 using AA2230 with the 185 TSX/MRX.
Hey everyone, I finally figured out how to post pics-I'm a little retarded with computers. Thanks to all for the help.
I got the tsx to expand-3rd time's a charm and no longer doubt its expansion on game as witnessed from pics.
This is what they look like from dry newsprint and penetration from last one was 14in.
[Linked Image]

Those sure do look like chit... I'm convinced X's do this more than most are willing to admit.
Originally Posted by Brad
[Linked Image]

Those sure do look like chit... I'm convinced X's do this more than most are willing to admit.

Agreed. After one use with XLC's I could never bring myself to use TSX bullets on game. The tipped TTSX and MRX have been great every time we've tried them.
Originally Posted by prm

Is that 2640 for the 185 TTSX? If so you'll be happy with TAC or 8208 XBR. Both will get over 2700 comfortably. AA2230 is on my list to try with the 185. It's really good with the 160 TTSX. I have a copy of Barnes load data showing 2798 using AA2230 with the 185 TSX/MRX.

2640 fps is with 185 tsx, I've found that my rifle runs true to max loadings from hogdon data-primers begin to flatten when I begin pushing beyond that.
Haven't tried either powder yet-waiting for a chance to get out. What barrel length is Barnes using for their loads, they usually go with 26"- mine comes in at 22". What speeds are are you getting out of TAC and 8208xbr.
My rifle is incredibly finicky with 200 hdy sp, it happened to be the bullet I first used for load development and what a surprise-it was spraying them all over the place with 3 diff powders,I'm talking about 7-8"groups and some off the paper)! Thought I had landed on one of those lemon kimbers everyone seemed to be talking about.
After 6 diff powders, was ready to call it a day for the 200hdys, (did well with 180 accbnd and 185tsx so no lemon for me-was relieved),and then tried a last ditch effort with H322 and it grouped into .5" with 2 rounds and I pulled one out for 1.5" total-I'll take it!
What powders have you tried with this bullet.
Coyote_Hunter [/quote]

Agreed. After one use with XLC's I could never bring myself to use TSX bullets on game. The tipped TTSX and MRX have been great every time we've tried them. [/quote]

I'm of the opinion that Barnes has finally got it right with the TTSX. It seems to be the latest refinement made to overcome the occasional lack of expansion by inserting the plastic tip and enlarging the hollow cavity behind it, and solved the accuracy issues in some rifles that wouldn't shoot the barnes x by cutting relief bands around the shank to displace the copper by the rifling.
I saw pics from my Dad's hunt in S.C a few years ago and they performed flawlessly out of his 308 using 150 TTSX from 35y-out to 508ranged yards-nice exit holes no question about expansion.
Not knocking the TSX-questions of its performance have been laid to rest by me as evidenced by some of the pics posted in this thread for the 338 fed, the TTSX might offer a little extra comfort with that plastic tip...
mp4444, Barnes uses a 24" barrel for 338 Fed loads. I've found their loads to be at the high end of things. I've tried TAC, 8208, and without referencing my notes, I think H4895 & 2000MR. With two different 22" barreled rifles I've seen 2720s to 2750s (over two different chronos) comfortably with either TAC or 8208. I do see primers starting to flatten a bit earlier with 8208. That was only with max loads in 100 deg temps and very hot chambers. Both have been very accurate and I'd happily use either powder.
Thanks, getting real itchy to shoot those loads!
(I'll get my fill of shooting next month when Snow goose season opens! grin)
I'm of the opinion that Barnes has finally got it right with the TTSX.

Perhaps... here's a TTSX I pulled out of a cow elk. I've posted it here before, but as you're new here thought you may want to see it. Didn't hit anything on the way in, 308 Win, 150 TTSX. Just didn't open and tumbled after impact found backwards on the off shoulder:

[Linked Image]

I've shot several hogs successfully with that bullet in 338 Fed, but couldn't tell you how the bullets expand. I've never recovered one.
Damn, just when you begin to think you've figured it out! I guess if you shoot enough the law of averages kicks in somewhere, weird stuff begins to happen occasionally.
I remember reading an article by Phill Shoemaker, if memory serves, about how he had amassed an entire array of recovered bullets over the years from his clients in many different calibers- including the large bore bear busters. Many of these bullets had "failed", from tumbling, pan caking, not expanding, fragmenting etc. but recovered from dead bear. If anyone can comment on the subject, it's people like him, in the industry, who see more than many of us ever will.
Brad, how far was the shot on that cow elk and what was the reaction, trailing job?

Awesome pics Dan!!
Originally Posted by pa_gus
I just got done loading up a bunch of 338 Fed, 200 grain combined tech with Ramshot x-verminator and cci mag primers. If the weather co-operates I'll have a report tomorrow.

47.3 grains,new nosler 308 brass resized, didn't measure oal ( just short enough to fit in the ruger box). 5 shot group measured .953 (ragged hole). Chrony's batteries were acting up.... so I don't have any speeds ( sometimes it's better without them)
pa_gus, thats's nice, wish I could keep 3 cloverleafing-never mind 5! Light rifles are difficult to shoot well, thats what I've realized but its a hunting rifle so plenty accurate for my needs. Though it's frustrating to know it has potential to go .5"
Got to the range today, 5 degrees cloudy,with 5 km crosswind.
1st half went pretty decent then had a guy shooting a 300WBY with a bigazz brake sit next to me-had to time my shots between his.
Anyway, my chrono was off also-batteries probably so no velocity readings today, but shot typically- 2 touching and 1 out.
Only this session the 2 touching were almost in same hole with TAC, 1st time I've done that, could be indicative that it might be the magic powder for this rifle.
Now I'm anxious to know the speeds.

8208 XBR-1.3" edge to edge
[Linked Image]
TAC 1.5" edge to edge
[Linked Image]
Did a dry newspaper test for kicks with heavy bullets, just to see what kind of penetration and expansion I could expect from these weights and speeds.(except 185 tsx, shot it to convince myself it would open smile )
185tsx, 210 tsx, 250 partition, 225 hdy intrlok, 250 sierra
Hrdy and sierra got mangled pretty good- didnt expect it at that impact velocity, maybe 2100 fps, guesstimating here.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll have to dig up some pics of 185 TTSXs (and 210s) shot into magazines. They opened much wider than those TSXs. I presume impact speeds were comparable.
It could be because these were shot into dry newsprint, probably why it didn't expand the 1st time and prompted my original post.
Hollow point of tsx requires a fluid medium to create hydrolic force to begin expansion. Ttsx on the other hand initiates expansion by forcing plastic tip into enlarged cavity-should expand hitting anything.
That's the theory but doesn't always work that way as evidenced by Brad o's experience:
Quote..here's a TTSX I pulled out of a cow elk.... Didn't hit anything on the way in, 308 Win, 150 TTSX. Just didn't open and tumbled after impact found backwards on the off shoulder:end quote
(pic posted in this thread).
Sure would like to see those ttsx's!
Some pics of TTSXs (l-r, 210s, 185s and one 160)

[Linked Image]
prm, that's some nice expansion-picture perfect. Did you shoot them in wet magazines?
All dry magazines. To add, starting from the left is a 225 Accubond, 4x 210 TTSXs, 7x 185 TTSXs, 1x 160 TTSX, top of the row of three is a 210 Scirocco II, middle is a 200 Ballistic Silvertip, bottom is a 200 Hot Cor and to the right are 3x 180 BTs (all are .338 cal bullets)
PRM, Anything hit with those bullets would certainly fill your freezer! Have you taken any game with the 185 tsx yet?
Waiting for chance to get out and get some speeds on those TAC and xbr loads, I`ll post them for anyone`s interest/curiosity.
I've shot one hog, one buck and one bull elk with the 185 TTSX (two powered by XBR, one by TAC). No complaints from me on performance. All bullets were pass throughs, even one on the elk that went in high at the back of the right ribs and exited in front of the left front leg.
Thanks for the info- how far was your elk?
Thanks for the info- how far was your elk?

Only ~80yds.

Steeply downhill through the gap just up and left of the barrel.
[Linked Image]
Like the camo on your rifle- did you buy it that way or paint it?
Went to range this morning, 5 degrees and cloudy with about a foot of fog on the ground-targets not clear but what the heck, I was there.
PRM, thanks for heads up on those powders.
Speeds are with 5 shot avg. at max for both loads-
2,727 with 8208xbr and
2,762 with TAC 1.5" groups for both loads.
Need to measure case head expansion for safe pressure levels and pretty sure I can shrink those groups on a clearer day based on previous targets.

I shot a 160 lb boar over the weekend using 338 Federal/185 TTSX combo. Shot was about 50 yards. He was quartering too and hit him on the point of the shoulder. He dropped right there and kicked for about 20 seconds. Bullet exited offside ribs, turned the heart inside out and jellied the lungs.

I couldn't ask for better performance. Picture kind of sucks. Once we hosed off all the mud, he was a pretty charcoal grey.

[Linked Image]
Send them to me I'll get rid of the pos for you.
Nice hog. If you get the chance, try a hog with a 160 TTSX at ~3k and see how it does vs. the 185. I'm curious. Wish I could hunt hogs anytime. Good bullet test medium!
Originally Posted by prm
Nice hog. If you get the chance, try a hog with a 160 TTSX at ~3k and see how it does vs. the 185. I'm curious. Wish I could hunt hogs anytime. Good bullet test medium!

Pretty sure it would be the same result. I do have some 160s but I have several lifetimes supply of 180/200 NBTs, 210 Partitions and 200 Hot Cors.
No doubt about the outcome. Just curious about the wound channel with a couple hundred extra FPS. Seemed better on an elk, but that's only one data point.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober
Must be a Winchester Featherweight also. whistle

Great advice but the technical hitch is, they don;t make a .338 caliber Featherweight although it is a jolly good idea.
Originally Posted by prm
I'll have to dig up some pics of 185 TTSXs (and 210s) shot into magazines. They opened much wider than those TSXs. I presume impact speeds were comparable.

I have to wonder if Cerebrus buying Barnes has anything to do with troublesome expansion the OP is seeing. Cerebrus has an excellent reputation of ruining really good companies. Wouldn't surprise me if their bean counters found cheaper copper and streamlined manufacturing process to save a few pennies. I guess it would depend if he was using new or old stock. Just a thought.
Worked on this guy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Use the 180 or 200 Ab's since they worked for you.

And next time use WET newsprint or milk jugs filled with water.
© 24hourcampfire