Home
Have any of you from Fire land stripped off the factory finish on the wood of a BAR and put on a rubbed oil/satan kind of finish instead?

If so, how'd you go about it?

Many thx

Dober

First, make sure your gun is unloaded.

Remove wood from metal.

Hand rub your wood with a good stripper. This is where making sure your gun is unloaded comes in handy. Hate to hear of discharging while hand rubbing your wood.

Let me know how you finish it.
Dober, I would try citric strip because of that polyurethane finish. I would PM Karnis if you are unsure about it. My younger brother has one in 7mm rem mag and that would be the last rifle he would part with. His has the satin polyurethane finish which is nice in that gun.

Here is a link to replacement stocks grin

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/browning-bar-rifle-butt-stocks-and-forearms/B317607-T2
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Have any of you from Fire land stripped off the factory finish on the wood of a BAR and put on a rubbed oil/satan kind of finish instead?

Many thx

Dober

Mark, if it's similar to the glossy finish on a BLR, simpler is to just go at it with some steel wool. I did it on mine- nice matte finish in about 45 minutes!
NOt a bad idea either. One could also use rottenstone and knock some of that gloss off. Jeff it is the same exact finish as the BLR

Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Many thx

Dober

Mark, if it's similar to the glossy finish on a BLR, simpler is to just go at it with some steel wool. I did it on mine- nice matte finish in about 45 minutes!
a rubbed oil/satan kind of finish

Dober

Is a Satan finish kinda like a McFlame?

laugh
© 24hourcampfire