Home
Posted By: Foster tape around barrel - 05/07/13
i notice some of you have tape around your barrels. sometimes in more than one spot. i have heard of putting tape over the muzzle but not wrapped around the barrel. this might be a dumb question but what is it inteded for? i assume it must be for some kind of dampening or vibration control to make it shoot better??
Posted By: SLM Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
Spare tape for the muzzle.
Posted By: rattler Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
the tape around the barrel is extra tape to replace the stuff over the muzzle after i take a shot....
Posted By: Seafire Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
unless you are Jeff O.

then it helps attract game and make the shoots you take more accurate...blue works the best, as I understand.. grin
Posted By: GeoW Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
Also stops leaks..
Posted By: noKnees Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
reinforces the barrel, allowing for hotter hand loads
Posted By: Karnis Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
Originally Posted by GeoW
Also stops exhaust leaks..

Fixed.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: tape around barrel - 05/07/13
...and if you have the right color cerakote and tape, makes people ask who did the stepped barrel...
Posted By: davidlea Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
What tape?
Posted By: deflave Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
Originally Posted by SLM
Spare tape for the muzzle.

Correcto.

Travis
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
Just to add...I've also used the spare tape to wrap my tag around the antler or lower leg of the critter.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
When I was guiding elk hunters, I would transport them into harsh country in an old jeep. Very rough roads would wear the bluing off the barrel where the barrel rested in the gun racks. I would mark the spot and wrap a few layers of electrical tape around the barrel and no bluing was lost.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
Originally Posted by noKnees
reinforces the barrel, allowing for hotter hand loads

That is always my reply when someone sees my rifle in the woods or range and asks. They always just shake their heads and walk away.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
I wrap the extra tape to quiet the harmonics--makes all the difference as my harmonics never shut up.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
This is the way my 10-yr old son does it. Learn something!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
Tape is not created equal. Electrician�s tape, for example, often refuses to stick to a cold barrel. Blue masking tape is best not only because it sticks better but because it has special properties not found in other types of tape. Although not a guarantor of success, blue masking tape around the barrel:

1. Adds 250fps to muzzle velocity.
2. Eliminates bullet drop and further loss of bullet velocity past 300 yards.
3. Makes all rifles shoot 0.5MOA or better.
4. Makes the hunter invisible to the game.

Ready to go hunting:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Success...
[Linked Image]

More success...
[Linked Image]

See, the hunter is invisible�
[Linked Image]

The hunter is still invisible�
[Linked Image]

More success...
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_11412.JPG[/img]

No tape? What the Hell was I thinking, putting the entire hunt at risk??? A mistake not to be repeated!
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_057511.JPG[/img]

Oh, yeah� Tape around the barrel is handy if you need a piece to protect the bore from rain, snow, ice, dirt, etc�

Posted By: TMan Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Although not a guarantor of success, blue masking tape around the barrel:

1. Adds 250fps to muzzle velocity.
2. Eliminates bullet drop and further loss of bullet velocity past 300 yards.
3. Makes all rifles shoot 0.5MOA or better.
4. Makes the hunter invisible to the game.

Boy do I feel dumb. All the money I spent on load development, bedding stocks, and camo stuff, and all I needed was some blue tape.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
I just figured a lot of folks had broken their barrels inhalf and tapped them back together
Posted By: woods_walker Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
I definitely need to get some of that blue tape!
Tape also makes 'em look sexier - 'specially if it's pink.
Posted By: Crowkiller Re: tape around barrel - 05/08/13
I've learned to take enough to share. In elk camp I had enough to tape everyone's barrel twice, but barely!

I found some nice brown electrical tape I have high hopes for.
Posted By: GeoW Re: tape around barrel - 05/09/13
Before taping, make sure your bullet hasn't fell out of the little end of the barrel. If it already has fell out, the powder prolly has too. The tape won't do ya much good.

If you shoot through it... it will leave a hole. Could be considered as over penetration by some..
Posted By: msuhunter Re: tape around barrel - 05/09/13
One thing has always made me wonder about the masking tape on the end of a barrel. How is it that the smallest scratch on a crown can significantly affect accuracy but a piece of tape over the spout doesnt?
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: tape around barrel - 05/09/13
Originally Posted by msuhunter
One thing has always made me wonder about the masking tape on the end of a barrel. How is it that the smallest scratch on a crown can significantly affect accuracy but a piece of tape over the spout doesnt?
Because the bullet touches one and doesn't/can't touch the other.........
Posted By: JMR40 Re: tape around barrel - 05/09/13
Pressure in the barrel blows the tape off long before the bullet gets to the end of the barrel.
Posted By: sir_springer Re: tape around barrel - 05/10/13
Who said gun owners have no sense of humor? smile
Posted By: Skeezix Re: tape around barrel - 05/10/13
Dammit Coyote! You're givin' away all our secrets!

Well.... At least you didn't tell 'em how it eliminates glare and aligns light rays coming into our scopes and allows us to spot game 30 minutes earlier and 500 yards farther than normal (even using cheap Chinese optics). And how the blue color arouses curiosity in game animals and makes them come right to you.
Posted By: Domhnall Re: tape around barrel - 05/11/13
Originally Posted by JMR40
Pressure in the barrel blows the tape off long before the bullet gets to the end of the barrel.

I wonder about that. It sure doesn't blow the entire piece of tape off the barrel. It only makes a bore-sized hole in the tape. So does the compressed air coming down the bore ahead of the bullet blow a hole in the tape? Or does the bullet actually touch the tape and make the hole? Not that it matters. Either way it doesn't affect accuracy as everyone says and as I've confirmed to myself by trial and error.
Posted By: rattler Re: tape around barrel - 05/11/13
compressed air ahead of the bullet....
© 24hourcampfire