Home
Ok im looking for some advice I want to get a rifle for my son. Looking at a ruger american or a tikka t3 hunter both would be in 243. Looking for any advice on which to get. Both can be had locally or ordered so that isn't a big deal.
I've never shot a Ruger American, but both my Tikka .223 and .243 are sweet little guns. More up front expense for the Tikka, but unless that's going to take away from your scope budget, I'd don't thinks its prohibitively more expensive. Both my Tikkas are light, easy handling and very accurate. If you want to get crazy, there seems to be more aftermarket things you can get for the Tikka such as a stock or bolt shroud or whatever...I guess the Tikka is more of the known quantity. I have a 3-9x40 Burris FF2 on the .223 and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX3 on the .243. A good light scope really complements the Tikka
The price isn't really playing that big of a decision maker
I like rugers but this isnt much af a comparison. The 2 are on different levels. The tikka is a much nicer, smoother and more accurate rifle out of the box. The trigger on the tikka is one of the nicest factory triggers out there too. Nothing wrong with the ruger, its just an entry level rifle. The tikka is not.
Don't bet against the American in the accuracy department...

[Linked Image]
I see the Ruger as an American-made Tikka clone.

Both entry-level rifles, but the Tikka costs a fair amount more since Beretta got stupid on their pricing.

For a couple hundred less, I'd buy the Ruger in a heartbeat, unless I had to have stainless.

I have seen zero bad reports on the Ruger American

If only Tikka made a 35 Whelen....then we would have a great rifle/caliber combo.

I have great luck with Tikka rifles. Shoot very well. carry light and the geometry of the stock works well in the recoil department for me.
[Linked Image]

Orchemo

Here is my Tikka 35 Whelen in the Bell & Carlson stock I bought from you, all you need is to find a used Tikka .270 or .30-06 send in JES a couple of hours down the road from you and you are set. BTW it shoots great!
No contest. I have a Tikka T3 .308 and like the guys above me said, must smooth, great trigger, easy to shoot. Handled (but didn't shoot) a friends American and it felt clunkier and rougher.

The Ruger American is a nice rifle for the price, but if you can afford it, get the Tikka.

Maybe have him handle both in the store. Get whichever one feels better to him, but tie goes to the Tikka.
I agree with the others above... fit, finish, quality, etc. goes to the Tikka. Although I'm on a Salvage kick right now, I've owned five Tikkas and all have shot great.

I don't like the fact that the American doesn't lock the bolt. I can't stand that, but that may not bother you or your son.

Another thing I didn't like about the American was the mag release. It feels cheap and weak. I was looking at it at the store. With the mag out, I pushed the release and it didn't want to spring back. I reinserted the mag and it fell out. Maybe the release had already gotten broken, but it just seems flimsy.

Other than those two things, the American seems ok. Same with the Tikka-clone that Remington introduced.
Not a fan of any new rifles with the barrel nut outside the barrel.

I would rather the choice be between a Ruger HawkEye and the Tikka. To me would be a toss up there between those two.

Geo
No comparison. Tikka all the way. Plus, you won't be contributing to the maggot LaPierre's million $ salary, either by not buying the Ruger.
Originally Posted by RowdyYates
No comparison. Tikka all the way. Plus, you won't be contributing to the maggot LaPierre's million $ salary, either by not buying the Ruger.
wow
When on safe, does the American's bolt lock down? CP.
Nope.
Originally Posted by CP
When on safe, does the American's bolt lock down? CP.

If you are not opposed to an 'empty chamber' while not actually shooting, the uncocked bolt mostly negates the need for a locked bolt.

Or the safety for that matter.
Tikka tikka tikka.
If price was a factor there would be something to talk about....without a price consideration the game is over.
FWIW, after using my Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55 since 2005 amd my SS 223 for the past three years I can without reservation recommend the Tikka.

I have recommended Tikka T3's to many family and friends and there hasn't been one negative comment or concern about fit, finish or accuracy.

There were complaints about the cost of additional magazines and one who thought that his 300WSM kicked too much (told him it would before he plunked his money down.....but he had to have the magnum - which we now down load to 308/30-06 speed).

Have handled several Americans, shot and sighted in several 270 & 30-06's. Shot well enough just couldn't warm up to them.
If I was set on a Ruger I'd spend the extra bucks and get the Hawkeye.

Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Ok im looking for some advice I want to get a rifle for my son. Looking at a ruger american or a tikka t3 hunter both would be in 243. Looking for any advice on which to get. Both can be had locally or ordered so that isn't a big deal.

ahhhh.........Tikka
Tikka hands down. Make it a 7mm-08 instead of a 243. He'll thank you later.
Where are all the "Buy American" fans ? confused
458Win....maybe their is a difference between apples and oranges after all...regards....bearit...
My Tikka T3 stainless .338 Winchester Mag is the most accurate rifle I have now. It will shoot just over 1" 3 shot group at 200 yds. Best thing about it is it only weighs 7.5 lbs with leupold scope.
Got to go with the T3 here. I have a couple T3s and while they are not even close to my favorites, I personally feel they are in a different league than the RAs. I've handled several of the RAs at local shops and they feel like a cheap Rem 710 or Mossberg to me personally.
Originally Posted by 458Win
Where are all the "Buy American" fans ? confused

He said Tikka or Ruger.......not Savage.....
© 24hourcampfire