Home
Posted By: Otter6 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/17/13
OK,another OtterSix thread Yeah! At any rate,I have a question for all you .30 Otter men. If you were limited to the 30/06 for antlered game in big bear country. What bullet would you handload to give the best results both as a deer/moose round as well a Griz protection?
The 220 grain Partition certainly comes to mind.
Mega ditto's on the 220 partition
180gr TSX

180 TSX
180 Failsafe
180 Partition Gold
200 Partition

Trying to make this decision right now. Can't get my new '06 to shoot the TTSX, so It'll probably be the 200 NPT.
168 Barnes TTSX and Lapua brass.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/17/13
I figured the big Partitions would come to the surface along with the TSXs. I just loaded up a few 180gr Grand Slams over Superformance. Not sure how it will work out,but had to try.
220gn Woodleigh
200gn or 220gn Partition
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/17/13
I would load up the following and just see what my rifle shot the best:

180 TSX
180 Partition
200 Partition
220 Partition
Two bullets that come immediately to mind are the 180 and the 200 Partition.
A big bowl of popcorn is being made.
Nothing like Alaska or the Yukon, but we've a big bear or two up here. smile I do most all of my elk, sheep, and whatever hunting with a 3o-o6 M7o shooting 168 TSX over H4350. Never lost any sleep toting that combo into the backcountry.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
220gn Woodleigh
200gn or 220gn Partition

I just went over to the Woodleigh site for a look around. Impressive. Could be a little much as an all around bullet though. How are they on the lighter skinned critters?
If Antlered game is the main course, the Nosler 180 accubond would warrant serious consideration in my selection.
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
250 Barnes original..........

or a 220 Partition....

or a 240 Woodleigh..........

wink
I ran 200gr Partitions but that was back in the day. Today I'd load 168gr TSX's.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
Any recovered Woodleigh pics floating around?
Posted By: grovey Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
180's will kill anything with antlers,but i'd feel undergunned against against any of the big bears with anything from a 06.Imagine going in a dense thicket after a marginaly hit 9' bear.
Posted By: irfubar Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
Phil Shoemaker goes into the willows after brown bears on a regular basis with a 30-06!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
Tough to beat the 220 gr Partition for big bears, a good 200 gr slug would also be good.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
A big bowl of popcorn is being made.

I'll second that...
Plus, what's with this 220 gr. bs. If you can't go big, you might as well stay home and watch tv...My vote is for the 250 gr. barnes:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
It takes a special twist to stabilize a 250, I doubt many modern rifles could do so unless a custom barrel is installed for that bullet sepcifically? I think 220 is the highest one could go and some rifles may not shoot that well either depending on twist.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
180gr partition would be my choice. you might see a bear, but odds are you won't. you might have to shoot said bear, but odds are even higher you won't. there is no doubt a 180gr partition will kill any bear walking, along with the antlered game you are after. just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Royce Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
"Phil Shoemaker goes into the willows after brown bears on a regular basis with a 30-06!"

Couple of problems with that, though. First of all, Phil has spent so much of his life hunting and guiding for bears that he hasn't had time to live on the east coast and read gun magazines to see what kind of bear rifle he should use.
Secondly, I have seen Phil repeatedly imply on the Campfire that bull a well placed shot from a non magnum is better than a poor shot from a big bore flinch'nPooper, if you can believe that heresy.

All the above tongue in cheek, of course. I can't think of anybody who knows bear guns better than Phil.
I, for one, would never tell a pro like Phil how to do his business but I would carry the biggest rifle I could shoot well be it a 30 06 or a 33 or a 35 or a 375.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
168 or 180 TTSX

180 NPT, 200 NPT
Posted By: battue Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
All mentioned probably will work well. Key is being cool enough to make it work.
I'm thinking Phil is a pretty cool fellow.
Posted By: kutenay Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
Originally Posted by Royce
"Phil Shoemaker goes into the willows after brown bears on a regular basis with a 30-06!"

Couple of problems with that, though. First of all, Phil has spent so much of his life hunting and guiding for bears that he hasn't had time to live on the east coast and read gun magazines to see what kind of bear rifle he should use.
Secondly, I have seen Phil repeatedly imply on the Campfire that bull a well placed shot from a non magnum is better than a poor shot from a big bore flinch'nPooper, if you can believe that heresy.

All the above tongue in cheek, of course. I can't think of anybody who knows bear guns better than Phil.

That about says it, eh. I have witnessed a few BC Grizzlies killed with the .30-06 and while I have owned many rifles so chambered, I just sold four of my final five in the past tear as I prefer .280Rem. and .270Win. rigs.

For the P-64 Fwt .30-06 I have left, my last rifle so chambered, I have loaded 200 NPs over RE-22 and 180 NPs over H-5350. I live and hunt in BC, where Grizzlies are quite abundant, even strolling through my hometown and scaring the c*** out of all the newcomers there and I feel "OK" with this.

A rifle you can shoot well and quickly seems to be a "better hammer" to me, regardless of the game involved.

Purely, for bears, I would lean toward the 200NP.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
Another vote for the 200 gr NPT.

I wouldnt hesitate to carry that combo in big bear country, and wouldnt hesitate to hunt big bear with it...
Posted By: Arac Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/18/13
My friend has killed quite a few grizzlies with the 220gr Partition out of a .300 WM. His load is fairly mild, and I doubt a bear could tell the difference between it and the .30-06.

I will also add my name to the list of those who like the 200gr Partition. I have never used one on big bears, but I have seen what they do on other critters. They work quite well.
Phil also has "Old Ugly", his Mauser .458 WM and a new M-70 in 9.3x62 with Legend stock and a rather light barrel. So, he may not always be packing his '06.

DF
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/19/13
He's quite the fella for sure. I inquired about a moose hunt with him a while back. I wish I could have swung it,but the money just wasn't there. Expensive,but it sure looks like a quality outfit.
Posted By: WBill Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/19/13
Otter6,
"If you were limited to the 30/06 for antlered game in big bear country."

Apparently, I'm a big chicken in comparison to everyone else here! LOL crazy That said, being a chicken, I'd opt for a larger bore when playing in Griz country and would grab my OTHER 06...my 375 H&H with a 270 grain Swift A-Frame. It would handle all the antlered game nicely and I think it would be better suited if a ANGRY encounter occurred. cool

Just wouldn't want to become bear scat, sick , I would let fear and common sense dictate my limitation of not using a 30/06 in big bear country.
Originally Posted by Scorpion
The 220 grain Partition certainly comes to mind.

+1
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms contains info from Alaska Fish & Game on rifle choice.

Seems to match with the posts above. The part about shot placement seems most important - no surprise.

The tabs on the left of the page include on on shot placement with anatomical illustrations.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/20/13
180 gr. Swift A-Frame would be my first choice for an '06. TSX's and Partitions would be good choices as well.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/21/13
Thanks for the link Marlin1895. I saved it to my favorites. Good stuff. I like the idea of the soft point/partition type bullets. Reliable expansion on the lighter skinned critters,good weight retention to break down nasty critters. I've had/have big boomers. 300 Ultra,300 Win,338 Win. I seem to have developed a problem in my neck. I know I have the on-set of arthritis a couple of places as well. The big guns REALLY aggravate the neck thing. So,that being said,I'm weighing my options. I don't want to do the muzzle brake route unless there is no other way.
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR .30-06

by John Barsness

. . . I have shot some 220- and even 240-grain bullets from the .30-06, the last Woodleighs, usually with H4831. They have grouped fine, but I am not real sure about what they're good for, since I have never had any problems with .30-06 bullets penetrating big game with lighter spitzers. Maybe if I were using a .30-06 when guiding brown bear clients, as Phil Shoemaker has done, I might pick one of the real heavyweights - though Phil mostly used 200 Partitions, as I recall. . .

TODAY THE PRIMARY OBJECTIVE of most handloaders seems to be accuracy, with muzzle velocity closely behind, though we still run into guys who claim to get 100 or even 200 ft/sec more than most loading manuals suggest might be realistic. In my experience these experimenters are often into hot cars as well as hot handloads, but most of us recognize that if we want a .300 magnum we should buy one, rather than attempt to turn our .30-06 into a .300 WSM.

The majority of us want fine accuracy with as much velocity as is safely possible. Modern powders continue to improve performance, though sometimes not quite as much as we'd like to believe. While some new powders do provide higher muzzle velocities under "normal" conditions, they can lose considerable velocity at cooler temperatures. (And exactly why "normal" means about 70 degrees, the temperature of our climate-controlled living-rooms, I've never been able to quite figure out. Do we hunt deer in our living-rooms?)

Though I own rifles chambered for centerfire cartridges ranging in powder capacity from about 12 to 120 grains, and in calibers from .20 to .45, I am an unabashed admirer of the .30-06 Springfield. In fact 10% of my centerfires are chambered for the .30-06. This isn't because I don't like smaller and larger .30's; another 20% of my rifles are chambered for .30 caliber cartridges ranging from the .30-30 Winchester to the .300 Weatherby Magnum. (Obviously I haven't fallen for the modern suggestion that 7mm is the perfect all-around bullet diameter for big game hunting - though I own exactly as many 7mm rifles as .300 magnums.)

But the .30-06 always seemed just about right, even before my first game animal. This was because the gun writers of the early 1960's, including Jack O'Connor, told me so. I spent my paper route money not just on .22 ammo but a subscription to Outdoor Life and an annual copy of Gun Digest, and so knew an awful lot about big game rifles long before taking my first deer.

Since then I have actually used the .30-06, buying my first at age 20, a "sporterized" Model 1917 Enfield that I turned into a real sporter, partly by grinding the rear sight "ears" from the action and drilling and tapping it for scope bases. This rifle shot pretty well, but I soon acquired yet another .30-06, a used Remington 760 that the brother of a friend had to sell cheap.

Since then I've owned at least 20 more '06's, including several 1903 Springfields (one a Sedgely sporter), a couple of pre-'64 Model 70 Winchesters, several 98 Mausers, a T/C Encore, a Browning BAR and a Sauer drilling. Last fall I took the biggest bull elk of my life with a Benelli autoloader in .30-06, using 180-grain Federal Tipped Trophy Bonded ammunition, while filming a TV show, about as modern a rifle and load as can be found. In fact I've owned or hunted with a .30-06 in every type of rifle action except the lever, and might have to correct that.

For many years I'd taken more big game animals with the .30-06 than any other cartridge, though recently the .270 Winchester edged it out slightly. I still have taken a much wider variety of game with the .30-06 than any other round, ranging from American pronghorn and African springbok to elk and kudu, on three continents. It works.

Over the decades I've experimented constantly with various handloads, so know how to make a .30-06 shoot both accurately and with reasonable zip. The loads that follow have worked not just in one rifle but several. They may not work in your .30-06, and may have to be adjusted slightly due to differences in chambers and bores - but the odds are they will work pretty darn well.

Let me start by saying that if you have been loading your .30-06 with IMR4350 and any bullet weight from 150 to 220 grains for many years, then you might as well go ahead and keep using the same load. That powder still works for anything worth doing with a .30-06. What follows is for rifle loonies only.

150-grain bullets:

I am not crazy about using bullets under 150 grains in the .30-06. Yeah, some modern 130-grain bullets will penetrate elk reliably, but I was born and raised and live in the West, and have hunted too many other windy places to be impressed with high muzzle velocity that sacrifices wind-bucking ability. So the list starts at 150.

As noted, IMR4350 is a fine powder with 150-grain bullets, and a safe one too, since you just about can't pile too much into a .30-06 case to be dangerous. But in recent years Ramshot Big Game with 150's has proven itself a little better. Not only is Big Game less cold-sensitive than IMR4350 (not a bad thing when hunting in a typical Montana November) but accuracy and muzzle velocity tend to be just a bit better. It also meters a heck of lot easier than IMR4350, which really doesn't meter at all but ka-chunks its way through a powder measure.

Nosler's latest Reloading Guide 6 lists Big Game as the fastest powder for 150-155 grain bullets. I tend to trust Nosler's numbers a little more than those of some other manuals, because they actually report the muzzle velocities from their pressure barrels, rather than working up loads in a pressure barrel and then shooting them for velocity in a sporter barrel, or rounding them off to the nearest 100 ft/sec.

Nosler's muzzle velocity for their top charge of 58.0 grains is 3056 ft/sec, while Ramshot's own top load is 57.5 grains for a muzzle velocity of 2932 ft/sec. My own experience is that 3000 ft/sec is easily reachable in a 24" barrel, sometimes with less powder. A lot depends on the bullet. I first tried Big Game with 150's using Swift Sciroccos, a rather "sticky" bullet, and got 3059 ft/sec with 54.0 grains from the 24" barrel of my New Ultra Light Arms Model 24, with fine accuracy. With 56.0 grains ejector-hole marks appeared on the case heads.

This proved to be a deadly deer load, but also serves to remind us that today that various bullets create widely different pressures, so we can't blithely substitute one company's 150-grain data for use with another company's 150-grain bullet. Start with around 53 grains of Big Game, just to make sure, and watch the chronograph carefully. Often a magnum primer will help accuracy when using any Ramshot rifle powder.

165-grain bullets:

Here's where good old IMR4350 really shines. For decades my standard load with 165's was 58.5 grains. The extra half-grain may have been superfluous, but did seem to result in better accuracy in more than one rifle than "just" 58.0 grains. Muzzle velocity was around 2900 ft/sec, and this load killed a pile of big game, first with Sierra GameKings, and then with Nosler Solid Bases and Partitions, long before we had today's vast array of "premium" bullets to choose from. In fact, I would still be happy to hunt any game in Montana with a 165 Partition and 58.5 grains of IMR4350.

(By the way, you won't find this load in any manuals, because .30-06 data is kept to 60,000 psi instead of the slightly higher levels afforded more "modern" cartridges. But a few years ago I loaded up some 165 Partitions with 58.5 IMR4350 in Federal and had Ramshot's pressure lab run them through their piezo barrel. The average pressure for 10 rounds was 58,348 psi, with very low standard deviation, so the load was entirely safe even by SAAMI standards - and with the Federal 215 primer, which tends to raise pressures slightly over standard primers.)

These days, however, I am far more likely to load 59.0 grains of Hodgdon's H4350SC, and for the same reasons I load Big Game instead of IMR4350 with 150-grain bullets: H4350SC meters a lot easier and is far less cold-sensitive. In fact in tests at around 0�F it didn't lose any velocity at all from 70-degree levels, while IMR4350 often loses 100 ft/sec or more. The loss of velocity isn't as important as the changes in point of impact that often occur. H4350SC also tends to be a little slower than IMR4350, though this isn't always true from lot to lot, so again watch that chronograph.

180-grain bullets:

For decades I bounced back and forth between IMR4350, Hodgdon H4831 and Alliant Reloder 19 when loading 180's in the .30-06. All worked pretty well, but none stood out so much across several rifles that I could pick one load and stick to it. Then, a few years ago, I tried Ramshot's new Hunter powder with 180's. The first experiments took place in my old NULA with Barnes then-new Triple Shock X-Bullets. Eventually I worked up to 58.0 grains. Accuracy was very fine and muzzle velocity was right around 2800 ft/sec.

I have since tried this load with different 180's in several .30-06's, including my Sauer drilling. Accuracy has been universally very good, and in 24" barrels velocity around 2800 or even higher. Ramshot's own data goes up to 60 grains (with Hornady BTSP Interlocks) but I have never found any reason to go beyond 58.0 grains. The load has worked not only in the NULA and Sauer but in the .30-06 barrel for my T/C Encore and a fine pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester. In the Model 70 (with no changes other than adjusting the trigger and making sure all the screws were tight, including the forend screw) the load grouped around .5" with Sierra GameKings and .8" with Nosler Partitions at 100 yards.

In fact, when I went to New Zealand in early 2007 to test Berger VLD's on wild goats and big red stags, I immediately loaded up 58.0 grains of Hunter behind some 185 VLD's, and got 100-yard groups of .4" at 100 yards, with a muzzle velocity of 2862 ft/sec. Combined with the very high ballistic coefficient of the VLD's, this made shooting at long range very easy in the New Zealand mountains. So now I do have a 180-grain .30-06 load that works in several rifles.

200-grain bullets:

Today I don't think there's a real need for anything bigger than a 180-grain bullet in the .30-06, but when I started using one in the 1970's I often hunted elk and mule deer in the steep, thickly-timbered Montana mountains near the Idaho Panhandle. Shots could come at any angle, but a lot of range or velocity wasn't required. I tried some of the old "semi-spitzer" 200-grain Nosler Partitions (the ones with the relief groove around the middle) in my first Springfield sporter and found that 58.0 grains of the original military-surplus H4831 shot acceptably (especially for an ancient rifle with a 3x Weaver) at just over 2600 ft/sec.

This load worked very well, so even when I "modernized" with a Ruger 77, a Bushnell 4x and Nosler's extruded-jacket 200-grain spitzer Partition, I tried H4831 again, this time the newly-manufactured version, eventually working up to 59.0 grains for about 2650 ft/sec. The new powder was a little hotter, but the load worked just as well as the old one. Eventually this load was used in a bunch of .30-06's, anytime the game was relatively large and the ranges relatively modest - though with the spitzer bullet it shoots as flat as a factory 180-grain load.

For a few years I used the Ruger 77 for all my big game hunting, using either a "deer" load with the 165-grain Nosler Solid base or an "elk" load with the 200 Partition. They shot to the same place at 100 yards, and the only difference in appearance between the rounds was that the 165's were loaded in Remington brass and the 200's in Winchesters, just so I could tell them apart.

However, that didn't always work. Once while pronghorn hunting I ended up with the 200's. I didn't realize it, though, until after shooting an antelope at about 250 yards - and the 200 worked just fine. In fact this load is still so reliable that I occasionally use it again on some wild and tasty beast. And why not? One of its virtues is that it doesn't shoot up a lot of meat.

I have shot some 220- and even 240-grain bullets from the .30-06, the last Woodleighs, usually with H4831. They have grouped fine, but I am not real sure about what they're good for, since I have never had any problems with .30-06 bullets penetrating big game with lighter spitzers. Maybe if I were using a .30-06 when guiding brown bear clients, as Phil Shoemaker has done, I might pick one of the real heavyweights - though Phil mostly used 200 Partitions, as I recall.

The newest spitzers will work both near and far, and on the biggest game. I have shot enough 165-grain Barnes TSX's and 180-grain Nosler E-Tips into big game now to know that they work very well on game larger than deer, and that if they don't seem quite big enough I should probably be carrying something like a .375 or maybe even a .416. Heck, even at the modern muzzle velocity of 2800 ft/sec a 180 Sierra GameKing works just fine for most hunting, including elk. That's still one of the virtues of the .30-06. Though modern powders and bullets allow it to compete with far more modern rounds, it still works quite well with standard lead-core bullets, a real virtue if you're traveling and get separated from your cutting-edge handloads.
Posted By: Arns9 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/21/13
Damn! Reading JB on the '06 is like listening to George Strait: Pure pleasure!
Posted By: CRS Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/23/13
Here endeth the lesson
Originally Posted by Otter6

[Linked Image]

Not from a bear, but a 180 PP Woodleigh out of a 30-06 at around 25 yards, through both shoulder blades of an ordinary Alaskan bull moose.

[Linked Image]

This is another Woodleigh, just a test and a 350 45-70 bullet instead. But it punched through a moose leg joint without failing as most any ordinary bullet will.
If truth be told, I'd bet there have been more bears killed with a 30-06 over the years than any other caliber. A measly little old 30-30 would probably be the next runner up on cartridges killing the most bears.

Any old time Alaska photos usually showed a Native American standing over a dead bear holding an old Springfield 03-A3 or a 1917 Enfield, both being a 30-06. And in lots of the old photos, the hunters were shown with their trusty M1-Garrand 30-06

Wouldn't be my first choice in Big Bear Country, I'd personaly take my 300 Ultra Mag loaded with a 200 grain Noser Partition. Or if I was hunting only on Kodiak Island, maybe my .375 H&H Magnum.

But if all I had was a 30-06, I'd load it with a 200 grain Partition and not sweat it.
And of course, shot placement is always going to be more important than caliber selection in my book. JMHO, though. wink
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/23/13
Oh there's no doubt the old OtterSix has an unbelievable track record. A lot of it with crappy bullets. I'm currently talking to a couple gunsmiths about building my ultimate rifle. I've been a rifle loony for a long long time. Kinda burned out I guess. That combined with the cost and availability of loading supplies,is coming to a head. My oldest is well on her way into the p-point system. Maybe she will carry the torch for me,lol. I love fiddling with rifles,but I need to streamline things. License,preference points,diesel fuel,food. College tuition. All working against me as a loony. But I don't mind. We're patiently waiting for the time to apply for her first elk license. A black powder hunt in Colorado. I'm ready to settle down with one rifle. A couple smokin handloads,and more money for licenses. Whoever builds it will likely get the job of building her graduation present as well.

Back to the point. I'm very well invested in the 30/06. I've had a bunch of them in the past,and have a deep respect for it's abilities. My only real question is what you all think about bullets in bear country. I'm currently planning a DIY moose trip to AK and figure the new rifle has to be involved. Odds are I'd be lucky to see big bears,much less have any problem with them. A fella needs to be prepared though. Especially if there is meat on the ground. My old favorite loading has been a healthy charge of I4350 and the 180gr Hornady. I don't think I've owned an 06 that didn't shoot them well. I'm not all that well read when it comes to all the super premium bullets though. Like the Woodleigh. Very impressive I must say,and suitable for the moose as well. We need a thread of recovered bullet pics. I love seeing them and the stories associated with them.

In a nut shell.I'm thinking 15 years down the road. What I build now will accompany me as I get older. I seriously considered a 338 Win complete with brake. Way silly for whitetails though. Although the ones I've shot with it died abruptly. The only deer I've shot that just pulled it's legs up and bounced when it hit the ground was shot with a 200gr Speer @ handy 3,000 fps from a M77 338 Win mag. With the majority of my hunting revolving around the deer family that doesn't make sense. So,it's come down to the 30/06 or 7 Rem mag,with the OtterSix having the edge. Mainly because of the heavy bullets available,at reasonable velocities. Like Mr Barsness said. It isn't a magnum. If you need one,buy one. Pretty logical.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/23/13
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Otter6

[Linked Image]

Not from a bear, but a 180 PP Woodleigh out of a 30-06 at around 25 yards, through both shoulder blades of an ordinary Alaskan bull moose.

[Linked Image]

This is another Woodleigh, just a test and a 350 45-70 bullet instead. But it punched through a moose leg joint without failing as most any ordinary bullet will.

Cool stuff right there. Thanks for posting the pics. How were they for accuracy?
Originally Posted by Alex38
180 gr. Swift A-Frame would be my first choice for an '06. TSX's and Partitions would be good choices as well.

+1

I've had good results with Swift AFrames in a variety of critters.

180 grn Swift AFrame, 54 grns of H4831 - call it good. This is the load that gives the best accuracy in my old FN Belgian Browning.

Having this I would not feel undergunned until I was face to face with a bruin. At that point, for me, everything I've got has felt too small at the time. smile

Esox

My factory 760 Rem 06 shoots the 250 gr Barnes well.
Posted By: 35 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/28/13
Have you considered the 35 Whelen?
Originally Posted by 35

Dangerous talk.

I can't even finish one rifle before another idea taints the waters.
Just a box of the Rem 220 CLs would be good to switch to after you have made a kill.
Posted By: prm Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/28/13
Make no mistake, I have zero experience in this matter, but what about a 200 A-Frame? Heard nothing but glowing reports from two PHs I've spoken with. They regard the A-Frame as the best hunting bullet available.
Posted By: 35 Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/29/13
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by 35

Dangerous talk.

I can't even finish one rifle before another idea taints the waters.

You know variety is the spice of Life!! :):)
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another vote for the 200 gr NPT.

I wouldnt hesitate to carry that combo in big bear country, and wouldnt hesitate to hunt big bear with it...

+1
Posted By: MarkG Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/30/13
I'd be more conserned about the 200gr partion
On deer, than I would the 180 gr partition on a big
Bear. So for me it would be the 180.

OR

You have a great excuse to rechamber to 338-06 and
Run 210gr Partitions for everything !
Posted By: las Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/30/13
I've a couple .06s. Working up another one now with heavy barrel for caribou at range. OK - what's "range" for me- 500 yards or so (need rangefinder....)

Mostly what I carry for walkabout bear protection up here (Alaska) is a '94 Win in .30-30.

Seems to have worked just fine for the last 20 (since I re-acquired it) of the 40 years I've been in Alaska. Ain't HAD to kill a bear since. Or ever, tho a few blacks have gone for freezer filler, a couple with a .30-30, tho not this '94.

The last thing I killed with the '94 was a No Dak white-tail in my senior year of HS in 1966.... it's over-due for another blooding. Probably moose. smile

That said, if you are worried about big bears with an '06, pick your favorite premium bullet. Barnes seems to be popular.
Originally Posted by MarkG
I'd be more conserned about the 200gr partion
On deer, than I would the 180 gr partition on a big
Bear. So for me it would be the 180.

OR

You have a great excuse to rechamber to 338-06 and
Run 210gr Partitions for everything !

If that was my concern I'd certainly run with the 220 then. It's a rather sleek RN design which opens easily but has plenty of stuff behind it.

[Linked Image]

This 180 from 300 yards into a moose would be enough if you did things right. A 200 would be more inclined to drill even better. Nothing wrong with "better" when bears are an issue.
Posted By: Rman Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/30/13
We can get around a few bears here. I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 180 A-Bomb at 2850fps or so.

R.
Toss the .30-06 before you get hurt. Big bears need big medicine, so nothing short of a 40mm Bofors Auto Cannon will suffice. These are still in service in the AC-130 Gun Ship, so ammo and parts are still available. Mounted on a 6x6 truck they are the ideal bear medicine. Loaded with an 870 gram Poltroon bullet at 3,370 fps they are capable of taking everything from rabid koalas to polar bears. Famous professional hunter Sir. Jerrold Quimby, took 800 African elephants with one shot under fortuitous circumstances when the entire herd lined up along the Muggbuhaha River in East Carbunkle, Kenya, July 9th 1938. So, go big or go home.
Posted By: Ready Re: 30/06 in BIG bear country? - 06/30/13
Did 180 TTSX. Would again.
Interesting thoughts from all here. Should I be fortunate to do something like a DIY moose hunt, I would very likely take my .35 Whelen shooting my pet load of 225 gr. Barned TSX at 2710 FPS and never look back.
However, as the OP's question stated the rifle must be a 30-06.
A very many years ago my first serious big game rifle was a 1917 Enfield that I bubba's into a spote of sorts. Several years late I had a local gunsmit make it right. Game hunted was coastal Blacktail dee in California and bullet of choice was the 150 gr. Sierra spitzer over a charge of milsurp 4895. Guess you could all it H4895. I won't even there with the fun of using tht stuff but the loads killed deer. That was late 1956 as I recall. I used that load like forever, even on big Nevada Mule Deer when I moved to that state. in 1970. A friend I partnered up with convinced me 180 gr. bullets were the way to gp so I went with the 180 gr. Sierras. Not sure if they were still not calling them Pro-hinters at that time and one of the boxed I have left still has the California address on it. I'd worked up a load for elk in the rifle I had at the time, a J.C. Higgins M50 a late friend had given me before he passed and it was the 180 gr. Nosler Partition at an stimated 2700 FPS. I killed the biggest bodied Mule Deer I ever saw with that load and almost lost it due to improper bullet action. Took three shots to bring that big boy down and on autopsy, it was apparent that none of the bullets expanded. The hole though the lungs looked like I'd poked it with a pencil. Certainly did not look like advertised Nosler results. Very disappointing. Went back to regular cup and core bullets for deer anyway.
After reading aall the comments on this thread, I'd probably go with either the 180 gr. Partition or maybe the 200 gr. Partition. It would depend on which my rifle liked best and if velocity was high enough that I'd feel comfortable with the load. I'm thinking that probably Bullwinkle would not be an awfully long range proposition and mostly likely any problem with a bear would be up close and personal. So rather than varmint grade accuracy, which would ne nice is possible, I think I would work toward as safe a high velocity as I could garner and accuracy at 100 yards of 1.5" or less. After all, Brown Bears and Moose are not exactly small targets. All this is hypothetical anyway as I'll probably never do that kind of a hunt ever. Too old and too fat.
Paul B.
© 24hourcampfire