Home
Posted By: RevMike Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/15/13
If you were going to put glass on a Sako 85, .260 Remington, used on deer/feral hog anywhere from 50 yards (over feeders for the pigs) to unlimited (deer along gas line right-of-way), what would it be?

Let's assume we're using the Sako Optilocks unless you have a different suggestion.
I have a M85 Finnlite 30-06. It is equipped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x scope which works very well for both target shooting and hunting. Balance is still good. The rings supplied with the rifle were used.

If you desire a lighter package then a 2-7x would be a good compromise.

Jim
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/15/13
I appreciate that. One of the things that I like about the Sako is the low bolt throw. It allows for the scope to be mounted low enough for a solid cheek weld. Some folks don't have that issue with 90 degree throws, but for some reason I do. I always use a small riser if I can't get a good weld.
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/15/13
Optilock lows on my M85 7mm-08, Svrovski Z-5 3.5-18X44, ballistic Turret, sweet, got em both from Alex at Europtics
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/15/13
Zeiss 2.5-8x32, Sako Ring Mounts, Sako Grey Wolf 338 Federal.
Posted By: bh444 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/15/13
I have a VX3 2.5-8 (yawn)
seems to work.
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/15/13
I have a sako 85 finnlight in 6.5x55 with optilock ringmounts and a leupold vx3 2.5x8. Not very exciting but it works anyway.

I have to say if mine wasn't a finnlight I probably would have went with bigger scope. But mine weighs 7lbs 3 oz with scope, rings and no ammo.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
My Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM wears a Swarovski 3-10X 42 mm which compliments it very well. The scope is quite low.

The scoped gun will weigh under 7 lbs, ready to hunt, when it comes home from its new stock job.
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
What stock is it going to have?? Yours is a short action mine is long.

I have that scope on my 7 mag. Would recommend it to anyone but it is a fair bit larger even though not much more weight than the leupold.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
Is your 85 a hunter model ?
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
Originally Posted by ldg397
What stock is it going to have??

MG Arms fiberglass 20 oz Classic
www.mgarmsinc.com

I dropped off the Sako when I picked up the Ruger. The Ruger pics are in two threads in Hunting Rifles.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
The I'm considering is the Sako 85 Classic.

By the way, I was talking with a friend about this last evening and his suggestion was to buy a CZ550 American in .270 (since you can't find a 6.5x55 right now). He commented, "The fit and finish won't be as good as the Sako, nor the round as inherently accurate as the .260 with factory ammo, but it'll do everything you want it to and more. Save the money and invest in lot of ammo and a good scope." His comment about the fit and finish not being the same as Sako I couldn't argue, but I was wondering about the .270 not being as inherently accurate as a .260 with factory ammo. Anybody done any bench comparisons? Especially out of the 550 American?
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
I have a Swaro 3x9x36 on my 260 Finnlight with S&K rings. It makes for a well balanced, compact package. I do mostly mountain hunting and don't want any extra weight. I guess it depends on what your hunting as well. To me, a deer at 150 yards looks pretty big at 9x .
Posted By: 65X54 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
I put an fx 6x36 on my swede chambered Bavarian and couldn't be happier..
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
Be hard to beat a Cameraland demo Swaro Z3 4-12x50 for $738 on Doug's gone fishing sale. It only weighs 14ozs.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
Originally Posted by RevMike
If you were going to put glass on a Sako 85, .260 Remington, used on deer/feral hog anywhere from 50 yards (over feeders for the pigs) to unlimited (deer along gas line right-of-way), what would it be?

Let's assume we're using the Sako Optilocks unless you have a different suggestion.

FWIW,
Many times I will preface posts such as this with the prelude, Opinions are like noses, everyone has one and most of them smell. So this is just one man�s opinion.

The pix below is of three Sakos.
The top is a 7wsm in a model 75 hunter. I mounted a 3 x 10 x 50 illuminated. I�m more of a fan of 44mm and smaller objectives, but this one was handy at the time.

The middle rifle is an AIII hunter (IIRC) with a 3 x 9 Luepold in 220 swift.

The bottom is a Model 75 Varmint chambered for the 260 Remington. It is topped with a 3 x 9 x 36. This is not a light rifle so I was not going for weight reduction.

[Linked Image]

This l61r Varmint in 7mag is topped with an old (new at the time ) leupold Vari X-III 4.5 x 14 x 40.

[Linked Image]

And this Model 85 Bavarian carbine with a 4 x 12 x 50.

[Linked Image]

Finally for varmints and turkey to say 150 yds., this Riihimaki in 222 Rem with a 2.5 x 8 x 36 Leupold.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don�t know if there is such a thing as �the ideal scope�. Especially if you�re trying to use one rifle to do it all.

So here goes. I�ve gone through my high magnification days. I like the rule of thumb of 6x per 100 yds for varmints and 4x per hundred yards for big game. Now hogs are not necessarily big game, but you get the picture.

You referenced the type of hunting that you will be doing. What you describe is pretty much the same as I. I�ve set up on right of ways that you could see for a mile. Other times I�ve set up say 120 to 160 yds away from a clearing about 20� in diameter.

I don�t use my scope for locating game. I use a good pair of binocs and a spotting scope. I have found that over the years the �wobble� of a high magnification scope is a distraction. Also, the time it takes to regain your sight picture if your rifle has significant recoil and get back on game when you�ve a limited field of view is a negative to me.

I do very little killing at 300 yards plus. In fact most of my killing is from 30 yards to say 170 yards. I'd be willing to bet that would also be the case with you. I know that long range hunting is the "in" thing, but I classify myself as a short range meat hunter. Not much bumms me out more than letting a bullet fly and not recovering game.

I find that where the brush is thick, or on a right of way where you may not be able to pinpoint the point of impact, if you can�t find blood within 10� of the point of impact, unless your quarry is DRT, many times one will not find his animal. At 200 yds. plus unless you have distinct landmarks, flags or reference points it can be tricky finding blood, especially at dark-thirty.

I think if I were to try to limit myself to one rifle and one scope on a 260 Rem, I�d do something like a 4.5 x 14 x 40 up to a 50 mm objective. With the 260 Rem @ +/- 2,800 fps. MV, and a high BC bullet of say 130 grains, one can zero 1 to 2 inches high at 100 yds and hold on fur over 200 yds. With today scopes and reticles it is relatively simple to be good to 400 yards with practice. Leupold has their Boone and Crockett and CDS. Both Zeiss and Swarovski have a ranging system. Almost all have reticles featuring mil-dots.

JMHO

Best,

GWB
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/16/13
I agree with everything said so far even though it is different from each other. Everyone has a specific purpose in mind for their rifle and scope accordingly. I love S&K mounts which is what I put on all my rifles except the sako. I have z3 swarovski scopes on my larger rifles and love them.

Truth be told will probably move my leupold vx3 2.5x8 to my marlin guide gun in 45-70 next year and then put a swarovski z3 3x9 on the 85 finnlight 6.5x55.

As far as 270 vs some flavor of 6.5? I would go 270 if you don't reload but IMO 6.5 anything is way cooler than 270 just because everyone has a 270 which also tells you it works pretty good.

If you want something factory and still pretty cool since you mentioned cz I assume you prefer controlled round feed. I would look for one of the winchester model 70 in 7x57 which came out this year.

Don't get me wrong though if you can afford a sako and good glass get it you won't be sorry and they aren't getting any cheaper.

This is what I have and it look like it is on sale right now. You need to buy soon before the selection is picked over before hunting season especially l
When looking for unique calibers.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-finnlight-65x55-jrsfl51.aspx
Posted By: RevMike Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/17/13
All of these comments, especially the pictures, are really helpful and appreciated. I've been looking at the Sako 85 for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that this is probably going to be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. I don't handload, but like the .260 or 6.5x55. Ammo for both is more or less readily available, and recoil is easy to live with, so either of those is probably the caliber I'm going to stay with.

That Finnlight is a nice looking rifle, but I think I'm going to opt for wood this time. I have a Savage Model 16 synthetic stock) in .260 - that's an accurate little bugger! - and it's the one I don't mind dragging through the brush or banging around in a truck when I need to. So I think a nice classic rifle is on the menu.

Your (GWB) comments about our shooting terrain being similar is pretty accurate. Most of my shots are taken anywhere between 50 and about 200 yards. The closer shots are usually over feeders (feral pigs in Florida) and the longer ones are either along the right-of-ways or across a wiregrass vista on the west side of the property. While long-range shots are certainly possible and present themselves all the time, two-hundred yards is my self-imposed limitation. And generally my shots are a lot closer (50-100). Frankly, my old Model 94 is about the handiest thing and more than adequate for the bulk of the shooting, but I do like the .260.

While I'm not dead-set on a Sako, Alex at Eurooptic showed me a Model 85 Barvarian like the one in the picture. That is a great looking gun, but I've always been a bit wary of the old "hog back" design when using a scope. I like a very tight cheek weld and have always thought the scope height would be a problem with that. Do you have any issues with the scope on the Bavarian? If I had one, what I'd probably do is just put a 1-4 or 1.5-6 on it, mounted as low as I could get it, perhaps add a comb riser if needed, and be done with it. Those rifles really look good with that short low scope, and in the terrain I'm shooting, it would work pretty well. Lots of wood to scratch up climbing in and out of a stand, though!

The Winchester Model 70 FWT in 7x57 is an interesting suggestion. I looked at the CZ550 in that caliber online until someone went ahead and bought it. Dang it...I just couldn't convince myself to push "Buy". Oh well, if I was going to buy a CZ I'd hold out until the next shipment of 6.5s arrive.

Once again, thanks for the comments. As I said, this will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase - Sako or otherwise - so I want to take my time and get it right.

MLW+
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/18/13
Only thing I would add is the 260 would be be better than 6.5x55 if you don't reload. Factory 6.5x55 is very under loaded for all the 100 year old rifles out there except for Norma ammo. Sako is great and the 260 is great. Good luck.
I have swaro z5 5-25x52s BTs on 75 Finnlite and 85 Grey Wolf.
Sako low rings and bases worked great,
Posted By: Buzzsaw Re: Ideal Scope for Sako 85 - 07/18/13
Her's my M85 Stainless Hunter, 7mm-08 in low optiloks, Sworvski, Z5 . All from the boys at Europtics. I think they have one more 7mm-08 left.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire