Home
Posted By: dkevinbarnes Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/15/13
I've heard alot good things about the lightweight Husqvarna 1640 action, but I've never come across one until this weekend at a local gunshow where I found a J.C. Higgins Model 51-L chambered in 30/06. The seller said he does not believe it has ever been fired. It has a few safe dings but is in amazing condition for a 50 year old rifle.

I didn't need a 30/06, but for $475.00, I felt like I couldn't pass it up. I've been reading up on these rifles and it seems that some have suffered from cracked stocks behind the tang and am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent this? Would bedding the stock help? Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Post some pictures.
Dad had a JC Higgins back in the early 60's. I shot my first moose with it. I think it was either a model 50 or 51. The bolt was a little sloppy, but it worked well. It shot where it was pointed -- first moose went down at the first shot at about 400 yards. Dad traded it for a Savage 99C in 308. Arrrgghhh. Wish I could get it back!

Medicman and myself - 1965. I was 15, he was 11. You can just barely see the rifle in my right hand to the left of the picture. It was a neat old rifle.

[Linked Image]
Will do as soon as I get it put back together. There was alot of dried up grease in the bolt and the action was a little stiff, but hoping with a good soaking that it's gonna loosen up.
That's a great old pic. From my limited knowledge, I think the model 50 and 51 have the FN action where the 51-L has a Husqvarna action. I think there was even another model that used a Sako action. I'm guessing the "L" stands for lightweight because this rifle weighs only 6lbs 5oz according to my postal scale.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/15/13
The 50 and 51 models used the FN actions bought from that legendary firm by Husqvarna and these are real "sleepers" which can be found in .30-06 and .270 Win. in NICE condition for around 5 bills. They have an elegant and perfectly sized barrel profile, 23.6" in length and are, IMO, the "perfect" .270s, I even slightly prefer them so chambered to my beloved P-64 Fwts.

These rifles, will, when fed 150NPs over a max load of H-4831, RE-22 and probably a few other "slow" powders, hit the magic 3000 fps-mv acclaimed by "J'0C" and with sub-moa accuracy. Given this performance and the light weight of them when restocked in a Bansner, I consider this the best value and performance for most big game hunting currently available.

I like the smallring HVAs, just going to test my latest custom .280, a Krieger Fwt. 23", Bansner, Timney and Wisner safety this coming Thursday or Friday and it weighs a hair over 7 lbs, with a VX3 Leupy in Talley Lts....but, I consider the FN action a better one and, again, there are lots of these out there and they can become one hell of a rifle at a "workin' man's price".
My Dad's was the classic mauser type bolt action, but if I recall correctly, it had just a 22" bbl. Dad got it with a 4X Bushnell scope with a post and crosshair reticle. Couldn;t get it to hold zero, wo we shot it with irons. Minute of moose, for sure, as the picture shws. As I recall, the rack wasn;t very big, but the body was large and the meat was fabulous.
Posted By: drover Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/15/13
" I've been reading up on these rifles and it seems that some have suffered from cracked stocks behind the tang and am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent this? Would bedding the stock help? Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated."

Cracked stocks behind the tang on Mauser actions are usually caused by the action tank bearing against the stock where it is inletted for the tang. If there is a slight amount of clearance between the action tang and the stock you should be good.

drover
This is my Model 50 30-06. I've been sidetracked with other projects and have not given this one enough time. I'd like to put the barreled action into a MCM stock, brown with red pad.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by woods_walker
This is my Model 50 30-06. I've been sidetracked with other projects and have not given this one enough time. I'd like to put the barreled action into a MCM stock, brown with red pad.
[Linked Image]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Now see you have just gone and reinforced my doubts to leave it stock. No sling swivel studs in the original stock. This one needs fine tuning to make it a good carry Rifle for me.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/16/13
The most practical and functional approach to using this very good but commonplace rifle IS to install a Micky MKX Edge stock on it. The original wood on these is usually pretty sad and the above Micky is among the best of the many synthetics I have and do have since 1985.

This is NOT a pristine Oberndorf sporter, it IS a mid-market sporter sold in large volume and even the specimens in 99% original condition sell here in Canada for maybe $650.00. So, YES, do it!
Do you recall how the barrel channel fits with the MKX inletting? The Higgins barrel may be lighter than a Mark X, have not compared them side by side.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/16/13
You need to just buy an inletted "blank" and have a good smith install it, or, send your rifle to McMillans and have them do it.

This rifle, in an Edge stock, Talley QDs and a Leupy 1,75x6, I prefer their "heavy duplex" and with the factory irons, or, better, some aftermarket Recknagels, should some in around 7.5 lbs....and, it will then be, with appropriate loads, an excellent and inexpensive tool for serious hunting of ANY animal in North America.

Actually, a matched pair of these, re-worked as above, is one of the most practical and "cost efficient" setups one can obtain for such hunting and there will always be lots of spare parts, etc, as you use them over time.

In any event, unless you are GOOD at installing synthetic stocks and I have done a few that turned out well, but, detest doing it, the best alternative is to just have Micky's or a good "pro" do it. The cost of, especially, an "Edge" inletted blank is such that I prefer to have a "pro" do it, rather than risk a screwup by doing it myself.

There, ARE less costly alternatives, I am VERY happy with the three Bansners I have, one is on an identical action/rifle, a FN "Musketeer" in .308Norma. A friend gave me this in almost NIB condition, I installed some parts I had, a Blackburn bottom metal, Recknagel sights and a gentleman who has done a lot of work for me since 2011, installed the used Bansner I bought.

The result is a 8ish lb. rifle that I REALLY like the whole "feel" of and in one of the most practical chamberings for a handloading BC hunter, the excellent .308Norma. The whole caboodle cost me maybe $1100.00 and from my experience with these '50s/'60s FN sporters from various Euro. makers, it should shoot "bugholes" with my preferred 200 NPs.

Just some suggestions, take it slow and get it done right and you have a rifle for the rest of your life. HTH.
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Now see you have just gone and reinforced my doubts to leave it stock. No sling swivel studs in the original stock. This one needs fine tuning to make it a good carry Rifle for me.

I didn't mean because it would ruin any collector value, but because I prefer Mausers with wood stocks. I have one Mauser with a synthetic stock, but I consider it a beater. But mostly I was just giving you crap. Do whatever works best for your situation.
No worries, I apprciate the thought provoking opinions and feedback. I did get a good chuckle out of your response.
Originally Posted by dkevinbarnes
I've heard alot good things about the lightweight Husqvarna 1640 action, but I've never come across one until this weekend at a local gunshow where I found a J.C. Higgins Model 51-L chambered in 30/06. The seller said he does not believe it has ever been fired. It has a few safe dings but is in amazing condition for a 50 year old rifle.

I didn't need a 30/06, but for $475.00, I felt like I couldn't pass it up. I've been reading up on these rifles and it seems that some have suffered from cracked stocks behind the tang and am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent this? Would bedding the stock help? Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.

I assume you picked that rifle up at the Birmingham gun show this past weekend. I saw it myself and realized what a good deal it was. Unfortunately, I was a little short on cash or you would never have seen it in the first place smile
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/16/13
I think bedding heals any ill fitted inletting job.
BigBore,

Yes I did buy it at the Birmingham gun show. I'm glad you agree it was a good deal. I really don't know much about these rifles but just thought it had to be worth $475.00 based on its condition. The action is a little stiff, but I'm thinking that's due to the lack of use and hope it will smooth out. The bad news is that I'm already wanting another in 6.5x55
Posted By: 32_20fan Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/16/13
Cool find on your JC Higgins 51L. I found a 51 recently in 270 Win that shoots 130 partitions extremely well. I have a fair number of synthetic stocked rifles including a MKX in a McWoody but this in one rifle I can't quite go that direction.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's a beauty!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/17/13
I saw a JC Higgins FN 30-06 for $229 about a month ago, stock
was chopped but everything else was fine.
Posted By: natman Re: Found a J.C. Higgins 51-L - 07/21/13
Husqvarna made the actions for the 51-L, but had nothing to do with the 50 and 51. They used FN actions and High Standard barrels.

If you do decide to restock a 50 or 51, be aware that the trigger is an unusual two piece design with the sear on the receiver and the trigger on the trigger guard. It is critically important that the distance between the two is the same as the original stock.

Or you could just replace the whole thing with a Timney.
© 24hourcampfire