Home
Posted By: KRC508 Interarms Mark X Action - 08/18/13
Is the Interarms Mark X Action any good for a general rifle build?
Say 25/06

Any advise appraciated
Yes,have a Interarms Mark X action that's going to be the basis for a lighter coyote calling rifle.
I second that. I had a cool little 243 built off of an Interarms Mark X action and I wish I still had it. It was one of the best shooting rifles I've ever had!!! Weight was just right, live and learn frown
Have two Interarms rifles this one been re-barreled to .22-6mm and weighs 10+ lbs.
[Linked Image]

And this one a factory Interarms .30-06.

[Linked Image]

The .30-06 had the trigger replaced with a Timney as did the other one.
Posted By: g5m Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/18/13
These are very good actions. In my opinion they are excellent for builds.
Recommended.
Posted By: Paulh Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/18/13
Good actions IMO

Got a 338-06 AI built on one. Another box stock 7mm Mag bought back in '94 NIB only one round fired through it.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/18/13
Well I have two of those Zastavas KRC and they are the same thing, and I would not hesitate to use one of those actions for a custom build.
Posted By: efw Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/18/13
What they said; they're fantastic actions for a build. 25-06 would be great on that action, particularly if it was one originally chambered to an 06-family cartridge though any of them would work with at max minor tweaking.

There are a lot of nice stocks, triggers, shroud safeties, etc.

What do you have? An action? A donor rifle?
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/19/13
Currently have two. One is a 375/338 win mag in a McMillan stock.

The other is a long throated 338 RCM with 30 #7 SS barrel in a Joel Russo Stock. Stock trigger breaks at 1 lb. FYI the big rifle has a Near Mfg picatinny rail. Just pointing out that you could make an F class/LR rig if you wanted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Sevens Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/19/13
It's a Mauser 98 action, so without a doubt it's good for a general rifle build. Actually have one in 25-06 myself.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/19/13
Zastava actually chambers the current version of the Mark X in 25-06. May be more economical to start there and have your 'smith fine-tune it, add a better stock, etc, as opposed to a full custom build.

These can be had from K-Var for $539.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/19/13
I have an older, restocked Mark X in 25-06 and it is a serious shooter. A 22-250 Riley restocked at 14 is also a decent shooter. The Mini-Mauser in the safe in 223 is also pretty decent, but a very different action. Several members here have shot foxes with it in Kodiak and have expressed a desire to duplicate it...

Quite a few others have come through but failed to shoot to expectations... at least three in 30-06 come to mind, a 270, and a couple Wentworth 375s. But they probably were neither that bad nor unredeemable, I was a rabid trader at more than one point in life.

The 25-06 is kind of a "chunk" despite the bigleaf maple stock, but few rifles I have seen could compete with it. It easily makes the top ten list of all the rifles I have ever dealt with for accuracy. The 80gr TSX shoots so well I hesitate to make an accurate statement on a public forum. If only shooting houses and feed plots worked here, because it would be "the" rifle for the job.

I have never had one rebarreled, but suspect the basic structure of the action would have no negative effect on accuracy...

A stock 77 tang safety in 243 and a 375AI with a Pac-Nor barrel on a 700 action are the only two other rifles I have dealt with that are in the same league with the Mark X 25-06.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/19/13
Mark X rifles used to be everywhere you looked but dont see
many around any more. There is a custom 6.5RM in my area, very
nice rifle.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
Before I re-barreled one, I would shoot it. A couple of the most accurate rifles I have ever had where Mark X factory rifles with nothing done to them.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
Not a Mark X, but a Zastava, same thing I guess.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GF1 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
Yep, most are shooters. I bought a new Mark X bbl'ed action in .270 in 1975, had Paul Jaeger stock it and it shot lights out. I built a .458 on another new factory bbl'ed action, fitted it to a Fajen stock, and it shot beautifully. My most recent is a factory Mannlicher 30/06...when it shoots an inch group, I've done something wrong on the bench. It's usually about .6".

Yeah, they shoot, and are reliable as are all Model 98 Mausers.
I've got one of the Charles Daly zastava mausers in 30-06 that I bought because they were closing them out for $260. It's one of the best shooting rifles I've got.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
I recently had McGowen convert one to .376 Steyr. Next step is to send it to NECG for sights then it'll go off to Robar for NP3 finish.

Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I recently had McGowen convert one to .376 Steyr. Next step is to send it to NECG for sights then it'll go off to Robar for NP3 finish.

Now THAT is an interesting build!
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
I have a mark x action sitting on my bench that should be a 25-06 AI in a few months.
Posted By: z1r Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Now THAT is an interesting build!

Did one of those many moons ago using a takeoff CZ550 barrel. I kept the CZ 3 leaf setup.

Also just completed one in 9,3x64. Siblings.

Recently completed a pair in 375 & 416 Ruger.

Posted By: jt402 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 08/20/13
Back when I had plains game in Africa on the brain, I bought the Interarms Whitworth version in .375. It was a nice rifle and shot rather well, but was not "slick" like my FN and Browning Safaris. I'm sure a little lapping, work, and use would fix that. Good actions. Jack
Posted By: KRC508 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 09/03/13
Guys, in your opinions is the Interarms Mark X action better quality than the current Zastava actions?

I know that they are much the same, but wasn't the Interarms Mark X action made before the war in Yugoslavia ( now Serbia )
Or am I totally wrong?

Any updates appreciated

Regards
KRC508
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 09/03/13
I have had a good look at some Mk X rifles and they do look a tad better finished, but that might have been because they were older and had been tricked up.

Functionally, I believe they would be identical.
Built this 6.5-06AI on a Mark X. Told my brother at the time, but before I tried, that it was "my 600 yard clay pigeon shooter".

I was right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 09/04/13
They are much better looking to me than the Zastavas to me. I had a beauty of one in 30-06, but sold it to TnBigBore. His father is making good use of it now, he returned the favor by selling me minty HVA.

If I had my pick I'd build on the Mark X over the Zastava but consider both good actions to build on.
Posted By: KRC508 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 09/04/13
Good looking Rifle, by the way what rings and bases are you using and what brand of stock is the action on?

Regards
KRC508
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Interarms Mark X Action - 09/04/13
I no longer own this rifle, sold it to another campfire member, but it was one of my favorites. I finally decided I just didn't need a 338-06 and sold it to someone who could use it. This was as solid and depedable as a working rifle could be.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire