Home
I recently examined a J.C. Higgins Model 50 by Fabrique Nationale. It was very clean. It had a cheap scope in some nice Weaver mounts. They wanted $450.00. Is that too much?
If that were here I would have torn my pocket apart getting my wallet out.

You bastards are spoilt rotten.
I have a new VX-2 3-9X40 that would fit nicely.
I'll bet it shoots better than any rem 700 too..... whistle...And you don't have to worry about the bolt handle coming off or the extractor not working wink
I have one in 30-06 that is very clean as well and I paid more than the one you are looking at and thought it was a good deal. That said, there are no sling studs, the stock is not exactly svelte and the trigger should be improved. The FN Mauser action is superb and that is the heart and soul of this platform.
Yep - that is a good deal.
BUY IT
I'd try to negotiate it down a bit, but I'd have $450 + tax in my pocket just in case.
I have one in 30/06 and really like it. It is slick and smooth feeding. The $450 is a price that I would pay for it if it is in good shape. Toss the scope and the trigger. A replacement trigger is easy to find and not hard to install. You won't be sorry. Makes a nice rifle. From what I've heard they have a reputation for good accuracy and my 30/06 is no exception. It will do between an inch and an inch and half @ 100 yards all day long.

There are some firearms that come around every so often that just should not be passed up and this is one of them.
A smoking deal at that low price. My deer rifle for this year and likely into the future is an FN Mauser of a similar vinatage that started out as a 257 Roberts and was later re chambered to 257WBY. I REALLY like it, a great deal. Not likely to ever leave my hands while I can still hunt except for some light gunsmithing in the offseason. Obtained it too close to deer season to try and have the safety upgraded and a few things done.
$450 is about $50 too high unless it has a high quality scope on it. Then again, the .270's seem scarcer than the 06's, and if you're not inclined to shop around, it's a better buy than any currently produced rifle at $450.
I bought one in .270 several years ago for my son. It's astoundingly accurate. We fight over it quite a bit (Just in fun. He knows it's his.) Whenever we hunt together, he often lets me use it, and I've killed several deer with it. Good kid. And he consistently pounds out 1/2 MOA groups with it shooting plain ol' Federal blue box stuff.

He picked up several boxes of PMC ammo on sale several years ago and that stuff is freaky accurate outta that rifle. I've watched him punch some five-shot groups less than 3/8" with that ammo.

Buy the rifle.
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I recently examined a J.C. Higgins Model 50 by Fabrique Nationale. It was very clean. It had a cheap scope in some nice Weaver mounts. They wanted $450.00. Is that too much?

There's a thread a bit more than a week old titled "FN Mauser action" in the Custom Rifles forum that may interest you.
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Originally Posted by Swampman700

There's a thread a bit more than a week old titled "FN Mauser action" in the Custom Rifles forum that may interest you.

Now that I'm on my computer rather than phone, making it a bit easier to paste a link, here it is:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../8111430/Re_FN_Mauser_Action#Post8111430
I agree that the .270's appear to be the scarcer model. I all the M50's I've seen at gun shows, only one has been a .270. I have four right now that are all 30-06 except that was (GASP!) a .270. Didn't realize they were scarce and it's now a 7x57 with custom stock. One of my favorite rifles. I would gladly give $450 for a .270. I agree that the trigger should be changed. It really is a Mickey Mouse affair one what it otherwise a very nice rifle. I think the stock is a bit clubby but nothing that a little file work and sandpaper won't cure.
They also make the basis for a nice custom rifle should you so desire. If you decide to get it, PM me and I'll make you copy of the owner's manual.
Paul B.
© 24hourcampfire