Home
Started gathering up parts before turkey season for a mountain rifle build. It all came together and here she is. Loaded up a handful of rounds for the barrel break in and to get it on paper, season is only a month away. Fired 3 shots on a pizza box to get close. Then moved over to the target. Three shots landed in the hole on the right. I adjusted and called it good for now. Time to load more rounds and stretch her legs to see how she does a little further out.

Load development might be finished grin Seven shots and she's ready to rock...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sweet! What are the details on the rifle parts? Overall weight?
Good shooting and great looking rig!! More details man...
Pawn Shop Remmy 700 action
Pac Nor Mountain Rifle contour 21"... PN also did the flutes and trued the action.
Picked up the TI stock here on the 'Fire.
Old style trigger worked over by local gunsmith... 2.5 lbs. Old dude does an amazing job.
Trigger guard and guts from the 'Fire.
Talley LW Extry Lows
Leupold 2.5-8

Don't have any scales for weight but its a "Poor Mans TI" wink

Nice rig Roger! It may be a poor mans TI, but I bet it shoots better.
That is a damn fine rifle.
Nice gun
Thanks guys! I should invest in scales and a chrono. I just keep buying powder and boolits, then shooting stuff and pokin' critters cool . Had a few Pac Nor tubes and I'm impressed with their work, delivery time, bbl quality and accuracy.
Very nice and well thought build. Love the 7mm-08 and sure you will be happy with it. Looks good out of the gate
Nice! I'm starting to think I need another 7-08....
Originally Posted by KDK

Me too......sweet rig gunnut, really sweet.
That's the winner blueprint you got there. I have two rifles almost exact rifles and they fit me like a glove...

That rig will just about do it all.

Good job.
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing some pics next to some dead critters here soon. Did you try any other bullets? I've always been pleased with pacnor tubes.
Care to share how much $$$ you have in the rifle (not including glass)?
Looking good gunnut!!!!
My guess is 6lb. 9oz.....
I'll take it!
Very well done sir...
Originally Posted by KDK

I'm with you on that....my bucket list keeps getting deeper..
Nice rig. Inspirational, if you know what I mean.
Nice gun. I've done similar. The cm action can be a PIA in a wet climate. BT/DT, and cuss myself all the time for it.
Those 7-08s are like crack. I had two in the past that I sold, and couldn't stay away. Just had another one cobbled together but haven't shot it yet. Nice gun.
gunnut nice rifle!Thankfully no gear shifter bolt handle.Sweet! wink

I've had two 7-08 in my house too. I'm thinking about another.

First one was a Rem. 700 TI. I bought this gun for my wife she didn't like it so we sold it.
The want came back, so I bought one from Buzzsaw here at the Campfire. Before I had a chance to shoot it, I let my nephew talk me out of it. It's a great shooter too.
So, I might build or I could buy.
Very nice. I need a 7 -08
Originally Posted by 16bore
My guess is 6lb. 9oz.....

You almost nailed it brutha�. 6lb. 11oz as it sits with Talleys and Leupold 2.5-8
I have a somewhat similar "mountain rifle" built on a sts. Remmy Mod. 7, PTG fluted bolt, their alloy light shroud, rebuilt factory trigger, Micky Edge KS handle, Remmy Ti bolt handle, welded on, Gaillard "Mtn. Rifle" contour 22" tube, in 7-08 and currently wearing a Talley QD base, QD Screwlock rings and a VX2 2x7 with that dotted reticle.

This, was put together by two of BC's BEST smiths, one is "brno284" who posts here and he KNOWS what a "mountain rifle" should-oughta be. They built this gem for his personal "sheep rifle" and, through great, good fortune and the kindness of a gentleman, in eastern Canada, whom I have never met, I was able to buy this for about 2/3 of the build cost and as new.

I am a HARDCORE "CRF" man and I have a LOT of fine, working custom "light" rifles, but, this is THE one that will be with me on any further backpack mountain trips I make, assuming that an injury to an old injury that I sustained last May, heals and I can go again, into the BC mountains, where I long to be.

I think that, all in all, with a GOOD bullet, the 7-08 is about "perfect" for so much of the hunting that most of us actually DO and as a longtime 7x57 guy, I already know what I can do with one,so, I join the rest here in saying, THAT is one NICE rifle!!!

Mine goes 6-4 or 6-5 and I am thinking, "Murphy Precision" Ti mounts and a silver Leupy 2.5x8, custom HD reticle......
© 24hourcampfire