Home
Although I would never admit this to my lovely wife I as I guess most of us do likely own more rifles than I actually need. �Need� being the operative word here.

That being said I feel like many of us likely have many different flavors and styles with the latest and greatest new cartridges, calibers, optics, durable finishes and on and on and on.

With that being said the one I am posting here I have actually never even hunted with (working on changing that) as I always just grab a stainless synthetic something or other and go. But when I bought this rifle used at a LGS several years ago my sentiment was how can I truly call myself a true whitetail hunter without owning a classically styled Walnut stocked Model 70 in O�conner�s beloved 270 Winchester.

This one is scoped with a simple straight up Leupold 6X fixed in Redfield style rings and bases.

Though it is not waterproof, weatherproof, warp proof, scratch or anything proof nor is it the latest or greatest thing, this to me truly represents all a classic traditional whitetail rifle needs to be.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Post up your idea of a classic whitetail stick. I would love to see what others ideas of this are.

twofish

[Linked Image]
Like yours, the very classy M70 .270, but mine is an older fwt.
Found a nice 7x57 Mauser, Win M70 here this weekend with great wood.

Were it not for my son needing braces shortly - it would have come home with me.

Thinking that with a nice little 6x or 2.5-8 on it would be about perfect.

Nothing against JOC and the 270 but it's never done a damned thing for me.
[Linked Image]

Classic 06
I was doing some load development at the range this weekend and witnessed a guy shooting a Winchester mod. 70 FWT 270win. stainless.
I wasn't a huge Winchester fan -just because I started out with Remingtons -anyway -I watched this guy shoot three -three shot groups [trios] at ""200 yards"" the largest group .8".
The best group had bullet holes all but touching maybe .5".
He said both of his brothers and a friend had the same rifle and all of them shot just as good as his.
This rifle was very light but not like a model seven --very well balanced.
Man did that rifle handle nice...
Good pictures thanks.
Mike
Great pics guys....keep em' coming.

I am primarily a remington guy also so don't let this be limited exclusively to Winchesters. That was certainly not my intention.

Nice rub Keystone...!

twofish
[Linked Image]

not too shabby a choice when it comes to perforating porkers.

Best

GWB
My first centerfire. It has accounted for over half of my total take, and I've used numerous rifles for deer hunting.

I've said it before, but damn if deer don't seem to walk in front of that rifle like it won't hurt them. It usually doesn't....for long.

[Linked Image]
I opened this thread fully expecting to see Savage 99s, Winchester 94s and Marln 336s, along with an odd Remington 14 or 141 or two, maybe a Model 8 or 81.

Alas, it was not to be. Oh well, I've outgrown those, too laugh , and hunt with a M70 .270, although it's in a B&C stock, matte-finished. Mine has a common Leupold Vari-XII 3-9 on it, otherwise, very similar to yours. (I have an old M8-4x stashed in case something happens to the variable grin )

Nothing wrong with them, or the backup rifle, a Howa 1500 in .270, also. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it.

Attached picture winchester270.jpg
Originally Posted by geedubya
[Linked Image]

not too shabby a choice when it comes to perforating porkers.

Best

GWB

Hey GW

How many pics of perforated pigs do you have??

Mike
Yep!
[Linked Image]
Quein sabe

I kill 50 or more in a good year, most with at rifle. My best 3 day total is 15. I've been taking pix for at least the last 15 years, with my first digital pix. during the 1999-2000 season.
Don't always take pix but do quite often.

I've actually never counted.

If I'm posting to many re-prints let me know. I'll dig deeper in the memory banks.

Best,

GWB

Not at all. I like to see them.

Mike
Quein sabe

I kill 50 or more in a good year, most with at rifle. My best 3 day total is 15. I've been taking pix for at least the last 15 years, with my first digital pix. during the 1999-2000 season.
Don't always take pix but do quite often.

I've actually never counted.

If I'm posting to many re-prints let me know. I'll dig deeper in the memory banks.

Best,

GWB

Beautiful pics...never get tired of seeing a scene like that!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

grin
Not always the best or most efficient, but an open sighted (or tang peep) 1899 is about as classic as it gets.

I realize this ain't no whitetail, but here's my 303. About as classic as it gets in my book, though I haven't killed a whitetail with it...yet.
[Linked Image]
Another classic...Marlin 336 in .30-30
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My 'classic' bolt action scoped deer rifles would have to be a pair of DWM custom Mausers in 6.5 Swede and 7x57mm Mauser, fine oil finished walnut and polished blue steel. smile

Gunner
A classic hot number - 250-3000.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

grin

------------------------------------------------------------

Go ahead -agg him on next thing someone will have a purple rifle with yellow/pink polka -dots...laf...
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by handwerk

[Linked Image]

Mine mostly all look like Randy's (Handwerk).

But we both been fooled...they can't work. They are 270's. Need to bump them up .007 and then they will work.

Learned it here. smile
[Linked Image]

Custom stocked 58' Featherweight in 270 win - my idea of a classic, but up for sale here soon too.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by handwerk

[Linked Image]

Mine mostly all look like Randy's (Handwerk).

But we both been fooled...they can't work. They are 270's. Need to bump them up .007 and then they will work.

Learned it here. smile

That pic by handwerk is about as beautiful as can be!
Originally Posted by tdn
[Linked Image]

Custom stocked 58' Featherweight in 270 win - my idea of a classic, but up for sale here soon too.

You'll regret it.... cry smile
everyone has a different idea but mine would be almost anything that's not a bolt action
Originally Posted by roundoak
A classic hot number - 250-3000.

My 250 is a Rem. 700 Classic, low dual dovetail mounts, 3-9x40 Leupold. It's zeroed dead nuts at 200 yards, and I've practiced using holdover to reliably break clay birds at 300 which is about the limit for the load I'm shooting.
Being a rifle slut, I enjoy taking game with a number of rifles.

For several years, these two rifles accounted for most of the white-tail deer I shot.

Browning High-Wall, 30-06 Springfield

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even nailed a pretty good ram with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The other

Winchester Model 70 Classic Supergrade (CRF) 300 WSM.
Note: I made 26 one shot kills with this rifle using 150 gr. Sierra Sptizers.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSC02478-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSC02062.jpg[/img]

Last couple years I have not taken a buck. I've let my son and grandson do the buck killing.

This year quien sabe?

As I have two freezers full of bear and elk my son shot earlier this month in New Mexico I'll probably be pretty selective.

Best,

GWB
Geedubya: Seems to me that you make them ALL work pretty good. wink

Now where the hell is that cigar? grin
Another "classic"...especially if you're a lefty. 25-06 Sako, Leupold 3-9X. Whitetail perfection, especially with 100 grain TTSX bullets.
Bob

[Linked Image]
While the .30-06 (top) will likely always be my favorite, I felt the need to obtain a Model 70 in .270 (bottom) a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

I bought it in the summer of 2011 and didn't hunt with it until last year. It turns out the .270 is actually capable of killing deer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one,taken at 336 yds, was testimony to the effectiveness of JOC's favorite deer combo. It flopped right over:
[Linked Image]
... although I did substitute some modern developments, RL-22 and 130 Accubonds, for 4064/4831 and cup and cores.

It has a long way to go until it catches up with the .30-06, though. That XTR has been in my hands since I was 13 and has treated me very well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Geedubya:

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB
Outstanding stick of wood on your 270 Win.

Great stuff there guy.

Love to see more of your pix.

Best

GWB
Geedubya:

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Haha...excellent! Is that a Cooper in that photo?

Also, beautiful .270 rovert!
Win M70 7x57

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RGK
Another "classic"...especially if you're a lefty. 25-06 Sako, Leupold 3-9X. Whitetail perfection, especially with 100 grain TTSX bullets.
Bob

[Linked Image]

that is one classy/sexy looking Sako. Almost enough to make a guy turn lefty.

Good on ya'

Best,

GWB
Yes sir,
Cooper model 52 Jackson Game, 25-06 Rem., 110 gr. Accubonds
Hardly classic, but pretty close to perfect.

[Linked Image]
Yes sir,
Cooper model 52 Jackson Game, 25-06 Rem., 110 gr. Accubonds

Thought that looked familiar. I am fond of those Coopers also. A favorite of mine is a Jackson Game in 280AI. It shoots lights out!
Some mighty fine stuff there guys!!!

Best,

GWB
My other classic, since it has laminate.

[Linked Image]
This one is pretty classic to me...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
This one is pretty classic to me...

[Linked Image]

The No. 1 is def. a classic in my book as well.

Very nice!
How about Ingwewife with a Rem 722 in .257 Roberts?

Classic enough? grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Damn - I need a 257 Bob
Works on Mule eared deer too.... grin

[Linked Image]
Geedubya:

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

That's more like it...! smile
My WW Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 with a Leupold 2.5x8
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Ingwe-san,

will that be what your darlin' bride will be totin' when ya'll come a axis killin' here in Texas next year?

Best

GWB
The secondhand ADL in 270 WCF I bought about 20 years ago seems lucky. Got the 3 biggest whitetails I've shot.

It's going along again tomorrow for 3 days in a scabbard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Other 2 bucks were taken in more classic whitetail country, down on the riverbottom.

Glamour shot.

[Linked Image]
There have been a lot of beautiful rifles posted here.

Geedubya, since you asked for more pix, here are some that relate to recent posts.

I had a sporterized K-98 in .257 Roberts which I sold to buy the .270.

[Linked Image]

I also have a No. 1:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You guys are killing me with these beautiful pictures.

Sam Olsen that is beautiful country where ever you are brother you're a lucky man!
Public land but be prepared to see other hunters.

No lease whitetail....grin
Originally Posted by twofish

Sam Olsen that is beautiful country where ever you are brother you're a lucky man!

That is one of the good things about the "net".

IMHO having regular guys post pictures of their rifles, and the country they hunt, along with their stories is 10 times better than anything on the hunting channels.

Here's an attaboy to all ya'll

Best,

GWB

That is one of the good things about the "net".

IMHO having regular guys post pictures of their rifles, and the country they hunt, along with their stories is 10 times better than anything on the hunting channels.

Best,

GWB

Amen to that!
This is as "Classic" as I got(she's sporting an old steel Weaver K3 now)
[Linked Image]

Although my CZ-550(.270) is still my favorite...
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Two sides to every coin.

I'd love to be in one of the Western states where ya'll have public land, elk, bear, cougar, sheep and goats. But I don't and in all likelihood will never in this lifetime.

So I make the best of it I can. I do hunt private land and have either one or two leases (depending on my finances).

Some folk in the western states make fun of how we hunt here.
However I'm not a bit ashamed of how I hunt. I hunt working mans leases. I've never paid over $1,700 a year for an annual lease. With the exception of the bear I killed in New Mexico last year, everything on my wall has been taken DIY, no guide and no trophy fee. I've never hunted high fence, and most likely never will.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes we hunt over feeders, but on a 50,000 acre low fenced ranch with similar land around it for about a 50 mile radius, that don't mean killin' deer is a cake walk.
I hunted three different weekends during this bow season. Got to my lease on Thursay in time to hunt. Twice I stayed through the Monday morning hunt. That is 14 days in the stand, most days morning and evening. I've seen one doe and two fawns during that whole time. We've had so much rain and such an acorn crop the deer don't even bother coming to the spin cast feeders. Heck I even got skunked by hogs one weekend and that almost never happens.
G, I know you hunt.

Didn't mean to sound negative.

I just wanted to be clear that most of the big pieces of public land around here get a lot of pressure. The whitetail I shot was a total lucky fluke.

You'd really have to look to even find any whitetail out there now.

I did see a decent 5x5 last week right before dark here close to home on deeded.

Haulin' ass, the other direction, just got a 2 second glimpse through bino's.

G W

Thanks for the pics!

Some NEAT stuff there.

Many of us make the best of what we have!

OTOH - Living out W in some of that BEAUTIFUL country also has it's limitations. i.e. 1 deer per year. Some only by draw, etc.

Here in S. Ark. I have a liberal gun deer season with a liberal deer limit, CAN be up to 6 per license.

All in all there are pluses and minuses on both sides.

Two sides to every coin.

I'd love to be in one of the Western states where ya'll have public land, elk, bear, cougar, sheep and goats. But I don't and in all likelihood will never in this lifetime.

So I make the best of it I can. I do hunt private land and have either one or two leases (depending on my finances).

Some folk in the western states make fun of how we hunt here.
However I'm not a bit ashamed of how I hunt. I hunt working mans leases. I've never paid over $1,700 a year for an annual lease. With the exception of the bear I killed in New Mexico last year, everything on my wall has been taken DIY, no guide and no trophy fee. I've never hunted high fence, and most likely never will.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes we hunt over feeders, but on a 50,000 acre low fenced ranch with similar land around it for about a 50 mile radius, that don't mean killin' deer is a cake walk.
I hunted three different weekends during this bow season. Got to my lease on Thursay in time to hunt. Twice I stayed through the Monday morning hunt. That is 14 days in the stand, most days morning and evening. I've seen one doe and two fawns during that whole time. We've had so much rain and such an acorn crop the deer don't even bother coming to the spin cast feeders. Heck I even got skunked by hogs one weekend and that almost never happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Nice mounts Geedubya !

Really like that rusty colored hawg..
[Linked Image]

Not a whitetail deer, but my favorite deer rifle is the rifle in the picture, and that is my Model 70 classic 7 WSM sitting in a compact edge stock, PT&G bottom metal.
Old style classic, modern classic and a combination of both.

[Linked Image]
Middle one please.....grin
BTW, I have several 70-80s models R 700s but IMO I only have one that I consider 'classic' deer rifle.

[Linked Image]

I've admired that XTR FTWT since the first day I saw the '81 Win. catalog. This particular FTWT is @ '90 model in 6.5X55. I like the RIFLE better than the cartridge but the Swede is classic.

[Linked Image]
This was last year on the first day I hunted this particular rifle. I'd guess you could say it works.
Savvy is classy...

[Linked Image]

...when old meets new:

[Linked Image]

DMc
G, I know you hunt.

Didn't mean to sound negative.

Sammo,

didn't take it that way and didn't mean to come across as whinin'.

It's good to make the most of the cards we're dealt.

You and I are good for sure.

Best

GWB

I've done spot & stalk out west, and hunted over feeders, too.

Out west you spend a lot of time glassing, hiking, sweating, looking for the critters. On a lease you spend a lot of time working on the feeders/blinds, sweating in hot weather, or driving to the lease - in my case 300 miles each way, and you do it several times a year. You also spend hours just sitting in the blind, doing nothing.

There was one previous lease where we kept seeing young bucks with gore injuries in their side - about two feet apart. For two years, no one ever saw the buck that was responsible. He was smart enough not to go to the feeders - at least not during shooting hours.

This year, I will hunt out of a blind, and I will also chase mulies, too. smile
Was a .338Fed in the pic, but it turned into a modern classic with a twist and is now a .300Savage.

I kinda am growing a little fond of it myself. Have yet to see if it has any luck in it as a .300Savage.

Model 94 30-30

[Linked Image]

336 .35 Rem.

[Linked Image]
An early 700 ADL 270.

[Linked Image]
Here's one I been using for years. Was inspired to get one after reading John Wooters as a young man. Mine is a 1964 Sako Forester L579 Mannlicher in .308 caliber.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Sako308Mannlicher1.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/Sako308Mannlicher.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Originally Posted by fordisto
Model 94 30-30

[Linked Image]

336 .35 Rem.

[Linked Image]

I like those lever guns buddy...
A couple of classics. One of these will be my Axis deer slayer I'll use early next year. Top is an AH (24" barrel) in .25-06. Bottom is a Ruger Centennial .30-06. Both wear 6X scopes.
Bob

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

Your daughter is going to get real pizzed off if you keep callin her your wife
Where I hunt we do alot of work in the hot months as described above. Bush-hogging, planting food plots, clearing shooting lanes in cutovers, hanging feeders and building stands all about an hour and a half from home. I can have shots at our lease as close as bowhunting range in a climber to 400 yards over a cut-over from a box blind. I have been out West also and love the majesty and beauty of the vistas and the thrill of glass, spot and stalk.

It is all good with me so long as it is fair chase!

Below is what I typically might grab going to camp. A "neo-classic" Remmy Model 7 in 300 SAUM with a Leupold 4.5 x 14 and a pretty good buck for this area that fell to the Remmy in the middle of a 100 acre cut-over.

[Linked Image]
Remmy Model 7 and buck where he fell.

[Linked Image]
The only time I ever saw him prior to end game in a pic of him working a scrape.

[Linked Image]
And the ugly mug that shot him!
For the last few years I have been hunting with "Modern Classics", synthetic/stainless bolt guns.

Here is what I normally consider a classic and take out a day or two each season, Marlin 336 in 30-30, first CF given to me at 12
[Linked Image]

Here is another I picked up this year that I consider a classic, Rem 660 in 284 winchester. Douglas Prem barrell cut to 22" old school Leupy 2x7 and a beauty of a wood stock, all up about 7 lbs 4 oz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It's not a whitetail, but anything in .280 Remington sure seems classic to me!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by teal

Were it not for my son needing braces shortly - it would have come home with me.

If it helps any... It is. grin

I picked one up last year and shot my buck with it. A leupold vxii 2-7(gloss) in Leupold base/rings holds it on. It's quickly becoming my favorite gun.
Classic Whitetail rifles for me are this M88 in .308 WIN and this M70FW in .270 WIN. I have a few others, but these two are among my long-time favorites.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Odessa
Classic Whitetail rifles for me are this M88 in .308 WIN and this M70FW in .270 WIN. I have a few others, but these two are among my long-time favorites.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great looking NC buck Odessa!
[Linked Image]

making meat with the swede
Originally Posted by tzone

If it helps any... It is. grin

I picked one up last year and shot my buck with it. A leupold vxii 2-7(gloss) in Leupold base/rings holds it on. It's quickly becoming my favorite gun.

[bleep]' enabler.... grin

Anyone know an ortho who works cheap?

[bleep]' enabler.... grin

Anyone know an ortho who works cheap?

Here this should help. laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
.....my sentiment was how can I truly call myself a true whitetail hunter without owning a classically styled Walnut stocked Model 70 in ........

I just bought a walnut/blued Win 70 Featherweight in 30-06 for the exact same sentiment. I have lots of high-end �ber accurate synthetic custom rifles, but decided I wanted an M70 in '06 as my old-school toy.
Originally Posted by greentimber
.....my sentiment was how can I truly call myself a true whitetail hunter without owning a classically styled Walnut stocked Model 70 in ........

I just bought a walnut/blued Win 70 Featherweight in 30-06 for the exact same sentiment. I have lots of high-end �ber accurate synthetic custom rifles, but decided I wanted an M70 in '06 as my old-school toy.

Yes! Ultimate classic. Winchester (1949) .30-06 standard grade, with a Lyman 4X.
Bob

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A 1953 Pre-64 .30/06 that I bought off of Cabela's used rack. I re-cut the checking and put an oil finish on it from an old Outer's stock re-finishing kit. The barrel channel and action mortise were sealed with spar varnish.

I mounted a 4X Leupold with Weaver Grand Slam (all steel) bases and Weaver medium-height rings.

I wish I could say that it was a tack driver but the original barrel was pretty well washed out. I bought an action wrench, barrel vise, and headspace gauges and found a better barrel on ebay and re-barreled it myself. It's still not a tack driver but it's better than it was. At least I didn't break anything.
Great pics and beautiful rifles guys!
Mine is a Kimber in 257R. I have many other rifles but this one is perfect for whitetail.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

I couldn't agree more.
My Classic is my Rem 700 BDL in 308 Winchester from 1977. I bought it with my first $500 Christmas bonus. The rifle, Leupold 3-9 Vari-X II, suede case, two boxes ammo, scope mounted & sighted @100 yards ran me $487 out the door.

That gun has evolved over the years.

[Linked Image]

The whitetail I shot was a total lucky fluke.

I thought only fish had flukes. laugh
Originally Posted by Tom264
[Linked Image]

OMG!!
Thinkin' you better volunteer your man card.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[Linked Image]

OMG!!
Thinkin' you better volunteer your man card.

I've seen it enough times now that I'm beginning to appreciate it. Betting if Tom put it up for auction, it would surprise many by what'd it'd bring!

I know one little toot that would love to have it.

[Linked Image]

DMc
Originally Posted by DMc

[Linked Image]

DMc

DMc: if she's wearin that outfit, she must have a dirt bike to go with it?
[Linked Image]

I see some have beat me to it.
No further comment. confused
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by DMc

[Linked Image]

DMc

DMc: if she's wearin that outfit, she must have a dirt bike to go with it?

Nate, I'm dirt bike poor:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DMc

[Linked Image]

That is an awesome picture. Enjoy it cause it goes by fast. We rode hard for alot of years with the kids but they are grown now...

Lovin' seeing all that gear on. Good on you!

Have fun!
Originally Posted by DMc

[Linked Image]
DMc

That's FANTASTIC!!

Can you say HAPPY??

Thx guys, not my intention to hi jack this thread. This was supposed to be about Tom's rainbow.

History repeats itself. Them's Grand kiddos.

That is an awesome picture. Enjoy it cause it goes by fast.

True dat, meet their mothers.

[Linked Image]

DMc
The rainbow gets all the love....
smile
Originally Posted by jwall
[Linked Image]

If that makes you happy ? ?
jwall
Get you some GOOD! Serra Game King Bullets & kill you some deer!
...so i guess my truck gun savage .243 doesn't count? lol

mine is a 24/47 mauser in .257 that i will post pics of as soon as it's here
Originally Posted by Displaced_Texan
jwall
Get you some GOOD! Serra Game King Bullets & kill you some deer!

There is NO SUCH thing IMO.

YMMV
Need to pull out the Win. 94 in 30-30 and get a shot of it.

I would not be surprised if the 30-30 was found to be responsible for the demise of more whitetails and any other round.

Here ya go Twofish, this one's a 32WS.

[Linked Image]
I knew I had a shot of a 30/30 somewhere, just found it.

[Linked Image]
I love those lever action 30-30's, especially when they get old and worn looking.....can't get much more "classic deer rifle" than that!
Here ya go Twofish, this one's a 32WS.

[Linked Image]

Oh yea...that's what I'm talkin' about.

Great pic of a true classic!
Just bought MY idea of a whitetail classic from a friend. A Clean JM stamped 336. Sold that huge Leupold on top of it yesterday in the classifieds and I'll throw a set of XS ghost ring sites on her.

[Linked Image]

The 30-30 in either a Mod 94 or 336 is about as classic as it gets for me, well maybe throw in a 300savage Mod99.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 444Matt
The 30-30 in either a Mod 94 or 336 is about as classic as it gets for me, well maybe throw in a 300savage Mod99.

.... or a 760 Carbine in 308.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
[Linked Image]

You suck! That's exactly the look I was trying for and this is what I got! (Bleh!!!)

[Linked Image]

DMc
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt209/gregintenn/99%20savage/IMG_2268_zps93fe4d14.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt209/gregintenn/99%20savage/IMG_2288_zpsa7f639a6.jpg[/img]
Some of my ideas of classic whitetail rifles.
Adolph Minar restocked 1903 Spfld in 30-06

[Linked Image]
Great picture Phil, looks like it's ready to go to work.
Great pictures guys...and great "classics" as well!
Originally Posted by 458Win
Adolph Minar restocked 1903 Spfld in 30-06

[Linked Image]

You sure can't run out and order one of them! grin
One thing for sure, when it comes to Whitetail rifles, the word classic means different things to different people. We have seen heavy and light, wood and synthetic, bolts, single shots, levers, calibers all over the board.

Perhaps we should ask, what defines a classic Whitetail rifle? Doubt that will clear much up either.
Hmmm.... Nice long barrel for running shots.... I get that. E
I have just enjoyed looking at people's rifles the way they are used. It's interesting to me as well what classic means to those who reply.
Hopefully we will get to see some more of these beautiful rifles No matter what the specifics!
264 Win mag Super grade?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Or a Sako Finnwolf in 308?

[Linked Image]
Or a Win 94 pre 64 in 32 WS?????

[Linked Image]
Fotis, beautiful stock on your 264 Super Grade!

And he lives out there in Gods country too� Ha ha!
Originally Posted by gunner500
My 'classic' bolt action scoped deer rifles would have to be a pair of DWM custom Mausers in 6.5 Swede and 7x57mm Mauser, fine oil finished walnut and polished blue steel. smile

Gunner

The little Swede scored again today, down in Arkaksas on a doe cull hunt, hit doe number one this morning below the left eye, [all I could see was two ear tips and the eye, very thick] the 140 gr Partition ranged down her neck and exited between the shoulder and brisket area, DRT, the little Swede never ceases to impress me with the level of accuracy, penetration, and performance for such a mild mannered cartridge.

Hopefully more to come tomorrow. smile

Gunner

Thank you Colonel!
M700 Classic in 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire