Home
My son has been using a .243 the last couple of years to deer hunt. In looking for something that has light recoil and terminal effects, I've decided on one of two bullets:

- 85 gr. Sierra HPBT
- 100 gr. Remington Core-Lokt

Both of these will be hand loaded. What would you prefer for a shoulder shot or are either of them appropriate for a shoulder shot? I'm only looking at these two this year as this is what's loaded and ready to go.
I'd be busting lungs with those bullets. Both will work just fine.
I've started using the Barns TSX 85 grain. Fantastic shocking power, good wound channel and can get an exit hole in case you need to track it on a not so great hit.

Switched to these from Sierra 100 grain boat tails and very glad it did. The Barns can handle a shoulder hit much better in my opinion.
For shoulders, use the 100gr.

Too each his own, but I just don't do shoulder shots with my .243. I will take a behind the shoulder shot if thats all that is presented--prefer neck,head, or high behind the shoulder (spine)I roll my own with 80gr. NBT's and Varget at around 3400 fps. If you are convinced to do shoulder shots, just use the 100 grainers-Core-Lokts have probably killed more deer than anything out there.IMHO.
G
whats the twist rate in the rifle if its 1:10 go 85 gr. and 1:9 go with the 100 gr.
Twist is 9.125.
With that twist rate you have options from the 85grs to 105. For my son, I'm rolling 85 gr tsx's. If he gets nervous and hits bone, I want to make sure it gets to the vitals.

With the 2 bullets you asked about, especially the 85 gr HPBT, I would be a little cautious on the shoulder shot.
For the guys who say 85gr TSX.....spot on. Shoot em through the lungs or take out shoulders. The carnage is amazing. IMO there is not an animal alive that will shrug off a vital hit with a 243+85grTSX.
Ditto
Originally Posted by EddyBo
For the guys who say 85gr TSX.....spot on. Shoot em through the lungs or take out shoulders. The carnage is amazing. IMO there is not an animal alive that will shrug off a vital hit with a 243+85grTSX.

I've not shot many of the 85's, but the 80TTSX is my favorite 243 bullet. Starting at 3300+, I've seen some amazing results. That's what I'll be toting during the KY gun season.
Shoulders anchor,lungs travel.

Both reliably.
Shot two deer with a 243. Not much of a sample I know but might be of interest to you. First was at 200 yds thru both shoulder drt and found the bullet perfectly mushroomed under the hide on the off side The other thru the lungs about 20 yd drt bullet not recovered In both cases a 100 gr core lokt about 2800 fps.
Around here I like shoulders when using the smaller calibers, as blood trails with lung shots are generally not that heavy. Use a well-constructed bullet and go for bone. I'll shoot lungs with softer bullets in larger chamberings.
My opinion is that the double lung is preferred by archery hunters.
It should be even more spectacular with a high velocity rifle.
Barnes TTX or 100g, anything less lung shots. Problem with the high velocity small caliber bullets is meat damage. I personally would hate to ruin both shoulders with blood/bone shot meat.
Originally Posted by whelennut
My opinion is that the double lung is preferred by archery hunters.
It should be even more spectacular with a high velocity rifle.

If I hunted in the open, I'd always go double lung, as you could watch stuff fall. Around here, that's not the case. In my location, the advantage on a double lung hit goes to the archer, as he will know where his animal was standing within a margin of maybe 5 yards. Finding blood should be easier. With a rifle shot, the deer may be gone in two seconds and you may searching for a while and covering more ground to find blood/sign.
Tested the Sierra 85 gr. JHPBT Gameking in water filled milk jugs last week. I reduced the speed to around 2,400 fps and shot them at 50 yards. The Gameking seem to blow apart but made it into the fourth jug.

Latter the same day I shot a 180 lb. buck at 200 yards with my 6x47 Rem. Double lunged him due to the test ran earlier in the day. He ran 30 or so yards with a good blood trail.

2 1/2" exit wound. Excellent performance for lungs but would shy away from big bones...
We have shot a truck load of deer with my daughters 243 and 85gr TSX's. Great combination that has never let us down. I have zero reservations about putting them through the shoulders and have several times with great results.
I can't comment on the two bullets you have. I would probably go lungs, as the 243 made me nervous on deer before we tried the 85gr TSX. Give the Barnes 85gr TSX a whirl next year. The 243 and 85gr TSX were made for each other.
I've busted both shoulders on a deer without problem with the TSX. And without excessive damage.

Also lung shot them, typically getting the "bronco buck" and a mad dash for about 30 to 40 yards.
I might have to give the TSX a go.
Originally Posted by devnull
My son has been using a .243 the last couple of years to deer hunt. In looking for something that has light recoil and terminal effects, I've decided on one of two bullets:

- 85 gr. Sierra HPBT
- 100 gr. Remington Core-Lokt

Both of these will be hand loaded. What would you prefer for a shoulder shot or are either of them appropriate for a shoulder shot? I'm only looking at these two this year as this is what's loaded and ready to go.

Seeing as how both of those bullets are relatively thin jacketed bullets, I'd have your son aim between the individual ribs........

On the other hand, if you use enough bullet it doesn't matter where in the front half of the deer the bullet may hit.

Casey
I've seen the 100 CoreLokt go through quite a few deer. I would never hesitate to bust shoulders with it, or to take out lungs.

If it wasn't so stubby it'd be a good all-around bullet for the 243.

I realize that my experience with the 243 is limited to pronghorn, muleys, and elk rather than whitetails, but I have not been impressed with the corelokt on any of them.

There are so many better bullets out there for the 243........

Casey
I have the 95 grain Ballistic Tip loaded, and I'm not worried about deer shoulders.
Originally Posted by mathman
I have the 95 grain Ballistic Tip loaded, and I'm not worried about deer shoulders.

I wouldn't be either. My kid sent one through both shoulders on a mule deer last year and it worked great.
The 95-grain Ballistic Tip is one of the BT's with a thicker jacket. It penetrates really well.

My wife has shot through both shoulders and the spine of a couple of mature Montana whitetail bucks with the 100-grain Nosler Partition, both bullets exiting. Partitions work too, despite having lead cores.
I shoot the 80 ttsx. I would not hesitate to take a frontal shot, neck shot, or even a Texas heart shot in a pinch. If I had to use any leadcore bullet in it, the gun would not see deer season.
MD, off subject but between the .308 165 and 168 is one "thicker' than the other?
As I recall, no, but you might want to contact Nosler on that.
Same jacket thickness, just longer. I asked Nosler.
Don't forget the Speer 80 grain Deep Curl...
Thanks both of you.
Did I miss something?

OP said his son has been using it for two years, what's he been shooting? Coyotes or something?

I guess deer hunting and deer shooting ARE technically two different things....

Mike
Two .243 kills from this month, 105 A-Max both dropped in their tracks

Neck Shot
[Linked Image]

High Shoulder Shot
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by erickg

Neck Shot
[Linked Image]

High Shoulder Shot
[Linked Image]
Great pics! I love the pics with the kids in them. I have had two of my quickest kills with the old Hornady Spire Point 100 grain. The first was a head on shot entering the chest low and I found the jacket separated in the bucks diaphram. The deer dropped and never quivered. Range, 50 yards. The second was a clasic broadside shot at 175 yards. Hit him right behind the shoulder, two bounds and he piled up dead. Found the expanded bullet under the far sided hide. I would think that those Hornady bullets would be real comparable to the CoreLokt which has also served me well in my 30-06 150 grain. I don't bust shoulders, don't need to when deer go down so quickly from heart/lung boiler room hits.

Neck Shot
[Linked Image]

High Shoulder Shot
[Linked Image]

Pretty good stuff right there.

I have heard the "high shoulder" was pretty effective but those fellows get it done. grin Flat freakin Bad assed and in the best way. grin
How would the old hornady 100 gr interlock round nose stack up against the op's sierra 85 bthp and 100 gr corelokt?
80 gr TTSX does things all out of proportion to what it should and at reasonable ranges shoulders won't phase it much!
Originally Posted by grovey
How would the old hornady 100 gr interlock round nose stack up against the op's sierra 85 bthp and 100 gr corelokt?
I have no experience with the Sierra but with that weight in a C&C/HP it sounds more like a coyote bullet. I think that if you hit the deer in the chest cavity it would be bang/flop. Shoulder shots, I wouldn't but it would probably kill also but with huge meat damage. The 100 grain CoreLokt in 6mm is designed for deer so I wouldn't hesitate to use it on any deer sized animal. I'm sure no expert on shoulder shooting damage because I don't shoot them there. Behind the shoulder works well for me and that's why I shoot them there. Looking at some of the photographs on this site would sure turn me against shoulder shooting. Some of these animals look like there is no edible meat left in the front third of it. I just aim 1/2 way up the body behind the shoulder and it gives you the largest kill zone. Dead on you get a double lunger. If you hit high, you get the main artery to the rear or spine. If you hit low you get the heart. If you hit left or right you get the shoulder/lung or the liver, all of these on the ethical broadside shot.
Busted both shoulders on a nice buck at 100 yds
Via 243 w 95 BT. Killed deer using 70 TNTs thru 105
Amax. The 95 BT and 80/85 Barnes are my go to in 6mm

Prefer BT for longer shots.
From what i've read( alot) about the sierra 85 gr i'd have to agree about keeping them outta the shoulder. I'd think the hornady 100 gr rn i asked about (in therory atleast) should perform as good as the corelokt, maybe better.
In my experience, a 95NBT placed anywhere north of a deer's diaphragm is dead. Pass throughs and soupy thoracic cavity are the norm. I know the Barnes bullet has its following but I don't see a reason to switch.

High Shoulder Shot
[Linked Image]

I'm thinking the little fella on the left needs a bigger jacket! (grin)

Nice pics for sure.....
100 grain Partition did one heck of a number for a kid we guided in NE last year. Right behind the shoulder and it didn't walk. Well, maybe two steps, I can't remember.

I know that's not one of the options, but in my personal estimation, I think I'd go TSX or Partition in the .243 over Core-lokt. But that's just me.
Yeah, 5 year old's are easy, dads old USMC stuff is a big deal. Small buck for sure, but the trophy is the memory of the day spent with the boys and seeing how excited they are still when mom's frying up "their" deer for dinner.
I sure miss the old Speer 105 grain bullet.
Congrats erickg

My neighbor laments the 105 speer just about every time we talk about loading for the 243.
I could see busting shoulders on a elk you don't want to see go down a big ravine or fear of tracking a mean bear into a swamp, but ruining a good portion of the deer's meat and sending lead fragments all over to see that "dramatic DRT" shot isn't worth it. Seems stupid and on par with "hunting show" mentality where they only care about the antlers and not the meat.

Put it in the boiler room and you will find them quick enough.
105 'max recovered from neck/spine shot buck, found under hide on off side.
Weight is 45.5gr or 47% retention. Shot was 75 yards, so impact velocity was up there, no cup core separation.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by humdinger
I could see busting shoulders on a elk you don't want to see go down a big ravine or fear of tracking a mean bear into a swamp, but ruining a good portion of the deer's meat and sending lead fragments all over to see that "dramatic DRT" shot isn't worth it. Seems stupid and on par with "hunting show" mentality where they only care about the antlers and not the meat.

Newsflash: Conditions in other areas are not necessarily just like your back yard. You have obviously have never crawled on your hands an knees thru the south Texas thornbrush, getting your arms and legs bloody, with the temperature in the 80's, and come nose-to-face with a curled rattler.

May seem stupid to you sitting on your couch, but I don't like chasin' 'em thru the brush. Open your mind, don't be so quick to judge, and understand that conditions may be different in other places.
Erick, the 105 that I spun out of an 8 twist 6BR at 2850mv, hit the spine of a doe at 200 yds, VAPORIZED in 1-2" - nothing left but lead/copper dust.......it was a rear raking shot, but don't trust an amax 105 to bust bone at high vel.....
Originally Posted by southtexas

Newsflash: Conditions in other areas are not necessarily just like your back yard. You have obviously have never crawled on your hands an knees thru the south Texas thornbrush, getting your arms and legs bloody, with the temperature in the 80's, and come nose-to-face with a curled rattler.

May seem stupid to you sitting on your couch, but I don't like chasin' 'em thru the brush. Open your mind, don't be so quick to judge, and understand that conditions may be different in other places.

Exactly, a 100 YRD sprint can be a game changer in some country.

[Linked Image]
Interesting, the varying results a bullet can give. One could always hedge I guess and shoot TSX's....
I've put the 85 gr. Sierra through a deer shoulder. It killed the deer but thoroughly trashed the shoulder for eating. Recovered what was left of the bullet just under the offside hide. It was mushroomed almost completely to the base and had lost alot of lead but the jacket and what little was left of the core were still together. I've put 100 gr. core-lokts through shoulders several times and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the need should arise. I haven't recovered one from a shoulder shot yet {yes, all exited} but none went through both shoulders either. Of course you can't really go by my results, as I've also put 55 gr. Hornady sp's launched from .222's and .223's through deer shoulders before and after reading countless accounts on here of how tough deer are and how you need TSX's or partitions to shoot through shoulders I've come to the conclusion that the deer in my area are made of much flimsier stuff than most.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've put the 85 gr. Sierra through a deer shoulder. It killed the deer but thoroughly trashed the shoulder for eating. Recovered what was left of the bullet just under the offside hide. It was mushroomed almost completely to the base and had lost alot of lead but the jacket and what little was left of the core were still together. I've put 100 gr. core-lokts through shoulders several times and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the need should arise. I haven't recovered one from a shoulder shot yet {yes, all exited} but none went through both shoulders either. Of course you can't really go by my results, as I've also put 55 gr. Hornady sp's launched from .222's and .223's through deer shoulders before and after reading countless accounts on here of how tough deer are and how you need TSX's or partitions to shoot through shoulders I've come to the conclusion that the deer in my area are made of much flimsier stuff than most.

I hear you, I'm paddling the same canoe as you. The past two years I've used a .223 mostly shooting Sierra 65 gr. Gameking BTSP at around 2,900 fps to kill deer.
Went to a 6x47 Rem shooting 85 gr. Sierra JHPBT and its like I've gone to a big bore magnum.

Deer aren't that hard to kill, If one can shoot....
22 cal 62 grain TSX sails thru deer shoulders no problemo, why worry about a 24 cal 85 grain? I shoot the neck or shoulders.
The 243 100 grain CoreLokt is a bullet that gets it done just fine on deer, from most any angle or bone structure. It's well enough made in that combo to get the job done.
I shot a 180lb 8 point this year with my tikka and 80 TTSX over 43 gr H4350. High shoulder broadside about 110 yds. Entry hole looked like a pencil exit like my pointer finger. No bloodshot meat no shredded material. Dropped in its tracks Little bullet is bad ass!

The thorn brush would be nasty and I can see your perspective. On the other hand, you've never heard of the Minnesota "heart shot" either because I wouldn't destroy hindquarters... unless I was just after antlers. Different strokes for different folks there Willis.
Deer fall into huge ravines too.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

so if your intent is to shoot them in the shoulders to stop them from falling into ravines, then wouldn't use a stouter gun than question if the 243 would bust both shoulders?
I've come to the conclusion that the only bullet I need for hunting with a 243 is the 80 TTSX. I'll bust shoulders all day long with that bullet.

so if your intent is to shoot them in the shoulders to stop them from falling into ravines, then wouldn't use a stouter gun than question if the 243 would bust both shoulders?

Because it likely won't make any difference. Shoot a good bullet, the 243 will get the job done.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The 95 GR BT mentioned earlier worked fine stopping my sons deer.

The thorn brush would be nasty and I can see your perspective. On the other hand, you've never heard of the Minnesota "heart shot" either because I wouldn't destroy hindquarters... unless I was just after antlers. Different strokes for different folks there Willis.

So maybe having a different opinion than you ain't necessarily "stupid and hunting show mentality", huh, Slick?

Why? A 95gr NBT, 100gr Partition, 85gr TSX or an 80gr TTSX will go through any shoulder from any deer/elk/moose/bear in NA. In over 80 deer shot with a 243win and 95gr NBT's, you can count the ones that did not collapse at the shot on one hand. Most of those being straight lung shots. Closet measured in feet, farthest at 427 yards.

The 243win with the right bullet is a MONSTER.
Let me fix that...

243 + right bullet + VITALS Placement = Death wink

Wrong bullet, placement, or both, like any round can = slower death or not, tracking or lost....

But no doubt, the 243 is a killer when used properly, even the pipsqueak 6BR using 28-30 grains of powder will do 90% of a 243 speed, and is deadly, esp. when twisted to use the better bullets.
550yd wayward Buck,caught sniffin' [bleep] this afternoon. 105Hornie HPBT...exit side of the equation,ala LFB.

Shoulders B Gone Spray.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Couldn'ta taken a step,if he wanted too...all of which was by design.

Hint.

So maybe having a different opinion than you ain't necessarily "stupid and hunting show mentality", huh, Slick?

Not totally Dick. Deer hunting is different all around the country. Reading about "cull hunting" and "paying by antler class" and "shooting in front of feeders" and calling deer "dinks" is a style of hunting that I don't care for. If shooting the deer through both shoulders is the only way to prevent losing a deer in the brush and rattle snakes, I can accept that. Shooting a deer through both shoulders or blowing out the hindquarters so you can get those horns just to save a little tracking is meat wasteful. I was hunting WI with a guy who said if he saw nice antlers on a deer, he would shoot it in the hindquarters just to get it. We were on busy public land so it may be a conditioned mindset to allow that. There is a sickening trend of people dumping headless deer here in MN because all they wanted is a shoulder mount. So when does blowing out all the meat blur over to cutting the head off? My father always told me if we shot the hindquarters out that he would take my hunting away because we are wasting the meat. That's how I was raised. I assume Texas allows you to take several deer so throwing the shoulders in the scrap bucket isn't a big deal. Up here in MN, we are quite limited to one deer typically and only a few days to hunt so maybe you should expand your mind to my perspective, huh, Dick?
Must be my mind set as well. Northern Minnesota was where I grew up. I hate wasting meat, but then again I am a meat hunter. Not much meat in the head and antlers.. In the tight woods at the normal range a neck shot works well for me.
"I assume Texas allows you to take several deer so throwing the shoulders in the scrap bucket isn't a big deal. Up here in MN, we are quite limited to one deer typically and only a few days to hunt so maybe you should expand your mind to my perspective, huh, Dick?"

You make a lot of assumptions. Many of which are wrong or irrelevant. I never questioned your hunting methods or ethics. Only your narrow minded prejudices.
"I assume Texas allows you to take several deer so throwing the shoulders in the scrap bucket isn't a big deal. Up here in MN, we are quite limited to one deer typically and only a few days to hunt so maybe you should expand your mind to my perspective, huh, Dick?"

You make a lot of assumptions. Many of which are wrong or irrelevant. I never questioned your hunting methods or ethics. Only your narrow minded prejudices.

Narrow minded? You won't open your mind to a more conservative less meat wasteful mindset. I could "bust shoulders" if I was paranoid about tracking deer into the popple trees, tad alders, down the ravines, and into the beaver sloughs. I don't.

You take offence that I'm calling out a hunting method that makes you question yourself. You never see the hunting shows come to Minnesota where you can't use bait piles, high fences, raise their deer like cattle, and feed the big horn culture.

Enlighten me on how you hunt and your game laws instead of criticizing my values, traditions, and laws of my land.

To make this an engaged discussion, answer a few questions:

1. Do you and your hunting crew harvest does and why / why not?
2. Do you own / lease / guest of where you hunt?
3. Do you do anything to promote ehtical hunting or a positive hunting outside of hunting season?
4. Give me a quick rundown of your game laws & seasons since I've made assumptions?
5. How do you personally manage your buck harvest and any selection rules?
6. Do you recruit hunters?

Chill. The only thing I took issue with was your comment that shoulder shots were "stupid". And I don't want to debate Obamacare or the nations debt on this thread, either.

edited to add: and I am completely ok with you hunting according to the way you were taught, and consistent with the local ethics and customs, as long as it is legal.

IMO, we are all hunters and should support each other, not bicker among ourselves, or criticize each other, as to the right or wrong way to hunt.
"harvest"?...
If you desire an exit, Shoulder with TSX or other suitable bullet.

Unless you just like walking after schit.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"harvest"?...

Well I like a good debate once in while to get people thinking or just to engage a discussion. I'm really indifferent on this, but I have my reasons for disliking some of the things that make hunters look questionable.

I teach MN firearms safety and were taught to use the phrase "harvest" or "taking" over the term "killing". It also applies to saying "firearm" or "gun" instead of "weapon". 80% of the people are neutral on hunting so we teach to cover your bloody game during transit to not offend non-hunters. MN suffered the "lead in meat" ban for food shelf donated venision and thats another tool for anti-hunters could leverage(and part of my personal bias for lung shots). The lead in meat panic has stopped somewhat. The one thing hunters do that hurts us is "I eat everything I kill" and I don't want to start eating skunks or coyotes personally. One thing I hate about hunting shows is they seem to glorify the antlers only and sound so disappointed when they harvest a smaller than expected buck, but few promote the nourisment. The goofy "cutting out the back straps" thing always makes me wonder if they throw the rest of the deer away.

So you may say I am giving in to the "political correct" people when I say "harvest" or worrying about lead and bone fragments in meat for the deer I gift away occasionally. You could say I am giving into the MN DNR propaganda machine in teaching this stuff, but I have to believe I fall in the middle trying to recruit new hunters who are bombarded with "killing is bad and lets hug" while they play first person shooter games in their basement becoming desensitized.

Thats all. chilling now.
I prefer Lung Shots myself with the 243
I have a hunting buddy that uses a .243 and shoots Hornady SST's. He kills the heck outta deer with lung shots.
One thing I'd like to see from Sierra, and I think it wouldn't be too hard, I'd like to see them take the Gameking HPBT's and add plastic tips. The .243 85gr HPBT is a pretty well respected bullet for instance, but it has the B.C. of a golf ball. Market is trending toward VLD hunting bullets, be nice to see Sierra try and keep up.

That would change the expansion characteristics in a direction Sierra bullets don't need to go.
I take the shot I'm given, be it lung or shoulder. Preference is towards lung
I high shouldered a bull with 105 Amax.
Didn't take another step.
A.I. of course. grin
You showboater.. Betting you just took the head?
Yep. Somehow I'm just not worried about shooting a whitetail with a 95 Bal Tip.
Originally Posted by SLM
showboater..

Does the A.I. make me one?
I'm lovin it....
Originally Posted by Boxer
550yd wayward Buck,caught sniffin' [bleep] this afternoon. 105Hornie HPBT...exit side of the equation,ala LFB.

Shoulders B Gone Spray.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint.

Larry,

I love the looks of those blacktails you shoot up there. Someday I hope. How do the Horny's hold up at close range? Wondering about trying them in the kids 243. our average shots are feet to maybe 150 yds through the woods

Thanks
Originally Posted by mathman
Yep. Somehow I'm just not worried about shooting a whitetail with a 95 Bal Tip.

Don't tell anyone , but I know of some elk that died due to the 95 BT.
I've never seen nor heard of a deer hit well with a 243 getting away, regardless of bullet. I shot core-locts and powerpoints when I was a youngster out of a 243, all hits just rear of shoulder, animals down either immediately or within 10 steps, no exits, ranges to 200 yds. Seemed as uncomplicated as it gets to me then.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've never seen nor heard of a deer hit well with a 243 getting away, regardless of bullet. I shot core-locts and powerpoints when I was a youngster out of a 243, all hits just rear of shoulder, animals down either immediately or within 10 steps, no exits, ranges to 200 yds. Seemed as uncomplicated as it gets to me then.

You nailed it. It IS uncomplicated. I've started carrying my 243 Mountain more the last few years. Mostly because my youngest is up and hunting,and we sometimes only have one rifle with us. The 243. I've said it before. Take a look at the young guns success photos in any of the major hunting publications. All sorts of kids killing all sorts of critters. A LOT of them using various 243s. If it's good enough for first timers,it's well capable in experienced hands. Light report,next to nothing for recoil,accurate.What's not to like? Put a good bullet in the C.N.S. or boiler room and get the knife.
Shhhh...the wives may find out we only need one rifle!
The 243 will absolutely work well on deer. My wife used one for years. She has taken just about as many deer as I have. Just use the right bullet. No light weight, light jacketed varmint bullets. Two years ago at my BIL's hunting in the Nebraska National Forest, had a 3X3 appear, not moving right, put him down. Had been hit right on the shoulder knuckle, baseball size chunk missing bones and joint busted up. No idea what caliber, no penetration and a wounded deer soon to die deer. I am not a fan of the 223/5.56 for deer, but with a good bullet and some accuracy they will and do work. Just pick the right bullet. As to shoulder shots I do not like them, they can ruin meat. I will how ever take a shot that is offered if I need to.
The 243Win steps along briskly enough,that it'll quickly sort good from bad and I've had more than a few 6mm projectiles zook ala "lowly" SAAMI 243. All boolits ain't equal and the sooner one realizes that,the better off he'll be...both in the long and short term.

105HPBT at 65yds this afternoon at Warp Nine via LFB.

[Linked Image]

Aerated lungs will make EVERYTHING travel,broke bones will freeze same in place.

Such choices is easy.

Hint.
What's the deal with the YELLOW tape??
That's how to tell which is the dangerous end.
The last deer I shot with a 100 C&C bullet (almost thirty years ago) was a high shoulder shot. The bullet blew into what some have called "copper and lead dust." One of those fragments hit the spinal cord, so the deer went down on the spot. I saw what happened when I butchered the buck myself.

A friend used only 95 NP. Even though the 100 NP was a semi spitzer back then, I opted for the heavier version. Later I got the 100 in a spitzer form when Nosler came out with them. At the time TSX had not been introduced, and I don't think the Nosler SB had been redesigned as a hunting bullet just yet. The Partition has worked well for me on deer, but it shoots 3 inches higher than my 70 grain coyote load. Perhaps the TSX would shoot closer to that point of aim, reason enough to try some, and by reputation, they work just fine.

I haven't used my .243 for deer in several years. Women, kids, and other old farts seem to be highly successful with them, so I may break the little small ring Mauser Safari out of jail and use it next week. Season opened yesterday, but we are tied up rehabbing a duplex this week end. Should finish tomorrow and can head out in a day or so.

I let a couple of really nice bucks walk last year. They should be even better this go round. They are both on family owned ranches and should still be hanging around. Weather has been good so they should be in good flesh. My helper promised me a large quantity of home made tamales if I would furnish her a deer. Deal on, less the back straps. Maybe a couple?

Jack
Boxer - What make is that 105HPBT you use?
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Boxer - What make is that 105HPBT you use?

Hornady 105HPBT
The 243Win steps along briskly enough,that it'll quickly sort good from bad and I've had more than a few 6mm projectiles zook ala "lowly" SAAMI 243. All boolits ain't equal and the sooner one realizes that,the better off he'll be...both in the long and short term.

105HPBT at 65yds this afternoon at Warp Nine via LFB.

[Linked Image]

Aerated lungs will make EVERYTHING travel,broke bones will freeze same in place.

Such choices is easy.

Hint.

I miss that time of year there. If there is anything better than hunting those orange horn bastards, I ain't found it.

The troop still hunting the Murder Hole?
Shot more than a few deer and antelope with 6mm bullets in the 243 and 6mm 100 gr Horn SP and 100 gr Corelokt work well as does the 100 and 95 gr NPT. Primarily shoot double lung or if the shot is quartering away I aim for the FAR shoulder, where I hunt DRT's aren't as important as they are to some here on the fire. To me the basic key to shoulder shots is to get thru the vitals first and the shoulder on the exit , never ever saw that fail. Magnum man
A question......is the bullet referred to here the 6mm 105G Hornady A-Max? If so, I didn't realize some folks used these bullets on whitetail. If true, then a couple more questions: 1) Are you only using the heavy for caliber bullets? 2) Are you only using them for long shots as shown below?

Thanks!

Shoulders B Gone Spray.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint.
As far as I know, Boxer has had a long string of success with the Hornady 105 AMax at both close and far ranges.

However, he has been using the Hornady 105 HPBT match bullet recently and found that it also is highly effective at both close and far ranges.
Sample of one from this year.

Onside lung offside shoulder shot.

190 yards, 243 w/90 Scenar.

Dropped out of sight at the shot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a cool looking buck!
The 85 Sierra is definitely more than just some coyote bullet. At this point I prefer them over 100 grain Speer or the factory loaded 100 grain Hornady or Core lokts I used to use for that matter.

I always go for double lung. If I shot for shoulders I would go straight to the Barnes.
Shoulder shot with a 243 and an 85TSX. It worked...

[Linked Image]
That's a nice buck and rifle.
Not too shabby Darrik....grin
Not totally Dick. Deer hunting is different all around the country. Reading about "cull hunting" and "paying by antler class" and "shooting in front of feeders" and calling deer "dinks" is a style of hunting that I don't care for. If shooting the deer through both shoulders is the only way to prevent losing a deer in the brush and rattle snakes, I can accept that. Shooting a deer through both shoulders or blowing out the hindquarters so you can get those horns just to save a little tracking is meat wasteful. I was hunting WI with a guy who said if he saw nice antlers on a deer, he would shoot it in the hindquarters just to get it. We were on busy public land so it may be a conditioned mindset to allow that. There is a sickening trend of people dumping headless deer here in MN because all they wanted is a shoulder mount. So when does blowing out all the meat blur over to cutting the head off? My father always told me if we shot the hindquarters out that he would take my hunting away because we are wasting the meat. That's how I was raised. I assume Texas allows you to take several deer so throwing the shoulders in the scrap bucket isn't a big deal. Up here in MN, we are quite limited to one deer typically and only a few days to hunt so maybe you should expand your mind to my perspective, huh, Dick?

We ain't all like that. There are certainly some hunters in Texas, as well as others states, that get too caught up in the mount over the respect for the animal, but I can most assuredly vouch that there are MORE of us in Texas that'd be happy with a doe with no meat damage over a wall hanger that got all torn up. I make the analogy to the huntin' shows being a fair and accurate representation of the actual real world deer hunting opportunities available to the average hunter. Yeah right. We don't all drive King Ranch diesel F-250's with matching bass boats and we don't all get a chance to shoot even 100 class deer.

Enough on that. I really like Winchester's 100 gr PowerMax bonded pointed hollow points. They punch straight through and they hold together. Last year I blew a softball sized chunk of spine out of a wild hog at 215 yds with one, and I wouldn't have any issue trying to break both shoulders on a deer if I absolutely had to.

Now one last thing. As far as shooting a deer in a certain spot so as to limit the amount of potential tracking that might need to be done, the one thing the Texas weather has going for it is that we have the opportunity to use the world's FINEST blood trailing dog, the Texas Blue Lacy. If the deer or hog runs more than I can see into the brush, I just go get my lacy girl, Lilly, and she goes straight to em. The 243 has not needed backup in my experience, but should I ever need a little help, Lilly has my back!
Yesterday's 105AM fun...

[Linked Image]

Dug out of deer shot at 115, 419, and 83 yards, respectively.

Why can't I get a pulse?!
[Linked Image]

Are your tracking skills up to the challenge, Stevie Wonder?

[Linked Image]

The 105 AM does just fine near and far, IME.
Damn...looks like someone shoved a M80 in his pumper.

What Dozier model is that?
I believe it's a "Personal utility", but I'm not 100% sure as it was gifted to me by a good friend.
Bullet failures. Fifty years ago, I had some too stoutly constructed 150 grain ..270 Bronze Points fail to open and just punched holes in a lung shot deer, despite three being in a softball size group. A fourth shot to the spine in front of the shoulder ended that. Little meat damage.

The only Texas heart shot I ever made was with a .30-06 loaded with 180 interlocks, about twenty years ago. Perfect shot, no entry wound, blew up the pelvis and the bullet, requiring a neck shot to finish him off. BTW, meat damage was minimal. I did a horn display of that escaping mule deer's rack. He tasted good too.

To the .243, I had a Sierra 100 SPBT come apart on a deer shoulder many years ago. A fragment found it's way into the spinal cord. I went to the 100 NP and have never found a reason to change. I use 70 Sierras for coyote and other pests.

It has been my experience that at some time or another, lots of the older bullets failed to perform to expectations. Newer technology has given us a much better product, and it is not limited to any one brand. These days, if the proper bullet is selected, the caliber seems to be on steroids compared to early in my hunting life.

Jack

Originally Posted by jt402
Bullet failures. Fifty years ago, I had some too stoutly constructed 150 grain ..270 Bronze Points fail to open and just punched holes in a lung shot deer, despite three being in a softball size group. A fourth shot to the spine in front of the shoulder ended that. Little meat damage.

The only Texas heart shot I ever made was with a .30-06 loaded with 180 interlocks, about twenty years ago. Perfect shot, no entry wound, blew up the pelvis and the bullet, requiring a neck shot to finish him off. BTW, meat damage was minimal. I did a horn display of that escaping mule deer's rack. He tasted good too.

To the .243, I had a Sierra 100 SPBT come apart on a deer shoulder many years ago. A fragment found it's way into the spinal cord. I went to the 100 NP and have never found a reason to change. I use 70 Sierras for coyote and other pests.

It has been my experience that at some time or another, lots of the older bullets failed to perform to expectations. Newer technology has given us a much better product, and it is not limited to any one brand. These days, if the proper bullet is selected, the caliber seems to be on steroids compared to early in my hunting life.

Jack

Interesting to hear you say that. I had a similar experience with early 150 grain .30 caliber Bronze points in a .30-06. When I recovered the deer, it looked like he had been shot with FMJ's. I switched to C&C's and have never looked back. About 20 years ago, I was telling the story to a young guy, and he looked at me like I was insane. It seems that his experience with Bronze points was exactly the opposite. I guess that some time between our experiences, Remington changed the jacket.

I haven't shot many deer with my farm beater .243, but those I have shot were shoulder shots (I have neither the time nor inclination to chase deer) with 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. Penetration has been very good with drt's the result.
Well while not a .243 this was with a .257AI and 115 grain Partition. Range was right at the 400 yard mark according to my rangefinder. Bullet broke a rib going in and going out. This is the entrance. The exit was not much larger. Doe stumbled downhill about 10 yards before piling up.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
I used to prefer a shoulder shot but try to stay off them if I can. That TSX will bust any deer shoulder around with a .243. I mostly use Sierra Prohunters and have had no trouble with shoulders with them either even with close shots. Only stopped one and that was just barely. Good luck!!
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Nosler 95g Partition. The 95g Partition will hammer through both shoulders with ease in a 243 or 6 Remington.

85g Tripple shocks will break shoulders and exit rib cages from quartering angles! I did a Texas heart shot on a doe, 100 yd shot, with a load of 44.5g of R#19, WLR, 85g TXS, she dropped at the shot. The bullet traveled the length of the doe, found it under the hide as it was about to exit after traveling through the front shoulder.

I am a firm believer in shoulder shots...been that way for 30+ years.
Shooters pro shop has 100gr partitions right now, I just got a couple hundred of them. I shot 2 deer Sunday eveneing at 300 yards with 95 grain VLD's. Neither went more than 40 yards, lung shot one with a half dollar sized exit, shoulder shot the other with no exit but did break both front shoulders. No exit on the shoulder shot deer at 300 is why I bought the partitions.
I would not expect the Partition to exit on a 300-yard double-front shoulder shot either. It will be laying under the hide.
© 24hourcampfire