Home
Posted By: SamOlson Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/26/13
I know, it's still hunting season, and these types of redundant questions are generally save until January......

I'm bored.......grin

Thinking a Kimber MT in 270 WCF w/3.5-10 VX3(B&C or maybe M1?).

That or a MT in 7/08 w/2.5-8x36 VX3.

A good 140-150 grain bullet in either.

What would the fellow mulie hunters choose?
Close...

Kimber 84L .275 Rigby!!!!! FXII 6x42 w/M1 grin
Not bad........laughin'
Posted By: NTG Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
I liked the 7-08 that drew first blood this year with a mulie. If I had more $$ it'd probably be a kimber montana in 7mm-08.
Posted By: msalm Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
140 gr accubond @ 3250 out of my 7mm WSM, stiller action, bdl bm, 25" fluted Rock Creek barrel in a grey bull stock. A mule deer at 375 and 5x6 elk at 500 this year. Have a Leupold 4.5-14 w/ CDS on it. I might switch out the stock for a trimmer style but it is really pretty good as is.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I know, it's still hunting season, and these types of redundant questions are generally save until January......

I'm bored.......grin

A NULA, in 270 with a Leupold 6x36 and dots. Or the same deal in a Kimber 84L rebarreled with a #2 contour. 7mm-08 would be great too. As for bullets, a Partition or Accubond.
Posted By: 805 Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
M700 257WBY with 100gr TTSX or 115gr NBT with a 300 yard zero and BC reticle or custom reticle.
My 20" Tikka T3 .308 with 2.5-10x24 compact Nightforce. It has become my favorite all around carbine/ rifle. Plus it shoots exceptionally well. With the composite stock it's an easy packing, lightweight joy to carry.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
270 with a Leupold 6x36 and dots.

Until this year used a 6x42 LR or 6x36 LR on my last 6 or 7 bucks. Awesome scopes.

Cartridge is easy, I always over-think and obsess over the 'perfect' scope.
Nice setups, keep the selections coming!
I'd have a Weatherby Back Country in 270 Win. With the Talley LW lows and a new Conquest HD-5 2-10X42mm. With a black 1.25" Montana sling. And shooting some Federal Fusion 130 gr.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/backcountry
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-2-10x42-Conquest-HD5-Rifle-Scope-P60838.aspx
Farm country whitetail rifle.

[Linked Image]

Model 70 with a VX-1 3x9 with CDS.

I plan on rebarreling it to 6.5-06 in a few months.
1" Montana sling and 140 Accubonds under 59 grains of H4831sc.

Big pimpin'.
[Linked Image]

How about this one.
Remington Alaskan Titanium in .280 Remington in a McMillan Hunter's Edge, a Leupold FX3 6x42 w/Dots.
Ben, I like that.

I hear you on the farm country whitetail rifle. That rifle will easily double as a great mulie rifle. Same yardages.
If I was going for a trophy mule deer (as I usually stick to whitetails) I'd pack my Faux Ti 7saum, 6x42 w/M1 and partitions.
Hmmm.

It'd be 6 or 7mm. Light monos at 3300+ or slick heavys at 2900+. Don't really give a [bleep] about SA or LA. 22-23" 2ish or 3ishbarrel, slim stock.

Light, under or about 7.5 pounds all up. Scope would be a 6x42 or 3.5-10x40 leupold. I'll take M1's or CDS over dots.

SS and synthetic are nice, but I wouldn't poop on a really nice piece of wood with a SS barrel and a nice coat job. Might even prefer it....

Yea, its pretty slick as it sits. Thought I'd give the turrets a try. The moa setup is pretty fun for target practice, it should be pretty sweet when I order the custom dial.
I haven't hunted Mulies but mine would be my .270 WSM in McMillan Featherweight with VXIII 2.5-8 in Leupold dual dovetails. Currently shooting 130 gr Interlocts at 3,250 fps

Mike
My R8 Blaser with a 6.5-284 bbl. Not sure on what I'll do about optics, likely a Night Force 2.5-10x42
Pre-64 Model 70 Supergrade .257 Roberts
Echols Legend Stock
Schmidt and Bender Summit 2.5-10
S&K Mounts

[Linked Image]

Whatever a guy uses, he should be able to consistently hit a basketball from the muzzle to 400 yards (or whatever range he feels comfortable). He should be able to go from a comfortable carry position that he can utilize for miles, to a shooting position, and be able to fire on that 0-400 yard basketball, in under 10 seconds. The less time spent dicking around with foldy shooting sticks, wind gauges, magnification changes, and whatever other BS Field & Stream and Cabelas says is needed, the better off he will be.

If a guy is practiced up enough to do these things, and is in good enough shape to do some walking, he should be well off. When it comes to spending money on equipment, instead of buying another rifle, upgrade to a better set of binos.
Out of the box Remington Model 700 BDL .270 with a trusted Leupold VX-II 3-9x40. Hornady 130 gr Spire Point. Simple and reliable.
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Echols Legend Stock
S&K Mounts

[Linked Image]

cool Cliff.....
Posted By: Brad Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle

Whatever I have in my hands when I see a big one. For me that will be a 308 Win of some sort.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Echols Legend Stock
S&K Mounts

[Linked Image]

And an old school Idaho Mule Deer.

[Linked Image]

cool Cliff.....
and be able to fire on that 0-400 yard basketball, in under 10 seconds.

3 seconds pre-rut.

5-10 seconds during the rut(depending on how wild the does are).

Does will be moving out now if they see your ass!
You're completely right about the 3 seconds. Even during the rut, that's about how long the truly big guys will give a person.

3 seconds is about how long I figure on a coyote once the pickup comes to a complete stop, too. smile
Ruger 77 in 6 mm Rem, with a Weaver 4x14 Grandslam. scope on it.
just my $.02
Soon as I get a Tikka T3 rebarreled to 6.5 SAUM and top it with a 3-9x42 SWFA, I'll have it.

I'm liking my T3 Superlite 7mm Rem Mag a whole lot right now. 7lbs is move to carry around and it delivers the mail with both 168 VLDs and 162 A-Maxes. I want to see how 150 NBTs do.

Tanner
Posted By: SLM Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
That's why it's best to already have the barrel out the window.

Originally Posted by Tanner
Soon as I get a Tikka T3 rebarreled to 6.5 SAUM and top it with a 3-9x42 SWFA, I'll have it.

Tanner, I was thinking the same treatment for a Sako 85 which is currently a 300 WSM. McEdged of course.

Will the SAUM cartridge jive with a staggered WSM magazine?

Blame Rancho for this idea.
Originally Posted by SLM

And let someone else hold the wheel while you shoot...
Originally Posted by NTG
If I had more $$ it'd probably be a kimber montana in 7mm-08.

Consider yourself fortunate....and keep what you have. 7/08's rock.

Tanner, I was thinking the same treatment for a Sako 85 which is currently a 300 WSM. McEdged of course.

I think some guys are building the T3 SAUMs over on Snipershide. I can't imagine the case wouldn't work in a WSM box.

Rancho's SAUMs are about perfect in my mind.

Tanner
Originally Posted by SLM

The new Jeep Wranglers have the electric windows switches in the middle of the dash. Really counter-intuitive, when an excited opportunity to blast schit presents itself.

You gonna rebarrel the 7RM? I wonder if you could change bolts and re-chamber a 6.5x55?
Posted By: toad Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by NTG

I don't think I've ever heard anyone cry as much as you about a sample of one. Jeez, dude, take some Midol and let it go...
Junk 243....grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by NTG

I don't think I've ever heard someone cry as much as you about a sample of one. Jeez, dude, take some Midol and let it go...

The best part was when 20 minutes of work turned his rifle into a sub-moa shooter.
When it comes to spending money on equipment, instead of buying another rifle, upgrade to a better set of binos.

And boots.
Boots get you there!

Boots cost damn near as much as binos.

Still slumming 7 or 8 year old Nikon 10x42's, I love those things.....grin

You gonna rebarrel the 7RM? I wonder if you could change bolts and re-chamber a 6.5x55?

When money allows I'll just get a T3 WSM and rebarrel. I think it's the cheapest and easiest route.

6.5 WSM might be a good option too. More brass and what not.

Cool thread, Sammo!

Tanner

Well I don't know when it will be, but when I do finally get to go after Elk and Mulies I'll take 2, my .300 Win Mag or for just Mulies, my CZ550 270 wcf Leupy 6x42(LRD).
Old school..

Pre-War Model 70. .30-06

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NTG Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
Originally Posted by NTG

Oh, I do. I like the 7/08 thus far. Mine's a X7. The Kimbers I've handled are top notch. Really I'd only be gaining in looks and a little in weight as my X7 is quite accurate.

That Vaguard Back Country is also looking sweet!
I'd run either a Seven XCR or a 700 MR with Brown Precision handles in 243.

Right now it'd be 85 Interbond, but 95BT or 105Amax would work anytime needed.

6x36/42 Leupie, standard duplex, hold the turrets (since I can range just fine on deer with the crosshairs, and do it faster).
Posted By: SLM Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
Originally Posted by SLM

A guy that can steer from the passenger seat and not spill any beer is a true friend.

I think some guys are building the T3 SAUMs over on Snipershide. I can't imagine the case wouldn't work in a WSM box.

Rancho's SAUMs are about perfect in my mind.

Tanner

What's the muzzle velocity for a 130gr bullet?
Didn't draw a mule deer tag this year so I went coastal for blacktail. First kill for this rifle which was bought this past summer.

Two loads: 120gr NBT at 3100 fps, 120gr TTSX at 3000 fps. I can shoot both loads without changing zero to 500y with dotz (TTSX prints higher at 100y), or just use M1.

Jason

[Linked Image]
A little more old school.

Pair of 1894's .25-35

[Linked Image]
The only mule deer I have ever shot was at 27 yards...with a 7wsm.

He died and was so dead I think I may have over-deaded him.

Not sure I know what the perfect rifle is for deer so I keep building rifles almost yearly trying to figure it out.

Gonna try another 300WSM when McM ships my stock. The rest of the parts are foundering in the safe.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
Win M70 7x57

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice pics all!

4th Point, sweet blacktail!

Ingwe Dog in top form Poobs.
What I currently use - a Ruger M77 .260 Remington set in a Boyd's thumbhole stock, bedded and floated. 2.5-10x40 Nikon Monarch, 129 gr. Hornady Interlock propelled by 44 gr. of IMR 4350, started up with a Rem. 9 1/2 primer in Remington brass. Have a string of 8 one-shot kills, zero blood trailing, unless chunks of lung in the path count.
Jeez, dude, take some Midol and let it go...

Get used to it. You may as well.
Selmer, that is a good string of success.

Nice shooting.
I'm pretty fond of my tang safety 6mm Rem and the 100 grain Speer BTSP, though its a bit heavy for hiking all day up and down ridges.

No complaints with my .25-06 or .270 Win either.

7-8lbs all up for general walking around seems to be a good weight.
The first one.
Think I'll to tote a Montana .243 next year. Sweet rifle.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
This 6x42 HD is coming for it

http://img831.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img4127i.jpg
My next project would fit for this question. Not sure yet on the details but thinking something along the lines of this:

Ruger M77 MKII 270, Boat paddle stock, VX3 4.5-14 with a CDS

So far I have the stock, and can't make up my mind if I want to go 270 or 280AI... Won't start looking for the action/barrel until spring/summer so no rush.
Originally Posted by selmer
What I currently use - a Ruger M77 .260 Remington set in a Boyd's thumbhole stock, bedded and floated. 2.5-10x40 Nikon Monarch, 129 gr. Hornady Interlock propelled by 44 gr. of IMR 4350, started up with a Rem. 9 1/2 primer in Remington brass. Have a string of 8 one-shot kills, zero blood trailing, unless chunks of lung in the path count.

Great run! Nice shooting.
I don't know what's perfect but I know what's killed more mule deer bucks for me than anything else...a M70 FW in 270 wearing a 4X scope.
I'd use a 99 of one flavor or another. Probably this same 270 Titus I always use for blacktails and stuff.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Custom .284 Winchester mountain rifle. 24" Lilja barrel 1-9 twist. Loaded with 120gr TTSX.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd use a 99 of one flavor or another. Probably this same 270 Titus I always use for blacktails and stuff.

[Linked Image]

That a .308 or .300 Sav necked to .277?

Kind of a neat one ya got there.
Originally Posted by sactoller
Close...

Kimber 84L .275 Rigby!!!!! FXII 6x42 w/M1 grin

Honest to God I was looking at donors today....
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

Very sweet!
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by SLM

A guy that can steer from the passenger seat and not spill any beer is a true friend.

Got a squirrel dinner that way! My pic, Ruger boat paddle, SS 270WCF, Leupold 2x7x32.
[Linked Image]
Thats the first one: SUCKS SS .280 AI 24" King tube fluted (roughly a #3) in a McSwirly (Blue, black, grey) McHunter pattern. Does the 160 AB's and Deepcurls over the same load of RL22 into the same hole. Can't hate. 8lbs 2oz with the Talleys and 2.5-8.
[Linked Image]
6.5 Rem Mag on a SUCKS SS again, in a Mickey Edge McHunter with a Shilen custom contour (close to Krieger #2) topped with another Leupy 2.5-8. Moves 120gr Btips at 3250 and 140gr Accubonds at 3000fps with only 1" of vert. impact difference.
Weighs 7lb 2oz pictured.

Since discovering the mighty 257WBY about 30 years ago, that round has been my all time mule deer favorite by miles. I have played with, during that time, a couple of others like the 6/284 and 7mm Mashburn Super but the rifle that is at the smith's shop right now is an FN Sporter getting a 27.5 inch tube in 25 ROY. So in essence the ideal Mule Deer Rifle is a CRF Model 70 or Mauser action with nice wood and a good quality long tube (minimum 26 inches) in 257WBY, but I will concede that a 264 WinMag is its twin brother. My favorite scope for these has been a Loopy 4.5-14x40 Gloss AO, but last year I used a newly found and acquired (here in classifieds) Burris Signature Posi Lock 4-16x44 Gloss finish model and I like that one even better.

Turret twisting NOT needed when launching a Moly'ed 100gr TTSX at 3800fps or a skosh more.
Here is mine, blueprint above (FN Sporter)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While in the shop to get its new barrel, this one is also getting a LaPour Model 70 style Safety, Burris Dual dovetail bases and DD signature posi align nylon insert rings, and will be re blued in a very high gloss and very dark hot salt bath blueing. Polished and Blued, then RE Polished and blued AGAIN and one final polishing to give it that Weatherby Deluxe or old Colt Python dark shiny look all over.

Right now my perfect muley shooter is a Weatherby in .257.
Either of these two, both 26" .264 WM. A pre-64 Model 70 or a similar vintage Colt Sako.[Linked Image]
The best Mule Deer rifle is the cheapest 22-250 you can buy in Montucky and vel-cro to your dashboard of a half ton pick-up.
I'm thinking its the same as my whitetail rifle

Kimber MT 308 Leupy 6X
Posted By: Shod Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
Jeez, dude, take some Midol and let it go...

Get used to it. You may as well.

That's funny......Toad is the one bitchin and he thinks you are the one who needs the Midol.

Shod
go read TAK's Kimber posts and get back to us on that...
Posted By: Shod Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
This year I'm grooving on a M70 Zastava in 270 win bedded into a Bell & Carlson Carbolite topped with a leupold FX3 6X42.

Handloads consist of Norma brass filled with reloader 17 pushing a 150 partition under an inch at 200 yds. I have a feeling this rifle will be staying around for a very long time.

Plans for next year will be a 6.5X55 sweede of some sort with a 1 in 8 twist under 7.5 lbs ready to rock out to 750 yds.

Shod
Though I have nothing close to this currently, mine would be a Kimber MT with a custom #2 bbl in 260 Rem. Topped with a 6X42 CDS shooting 139gr Scenars.
Nice rifles and good ideas, keep 'em coming!
270 Titus is a 300 Savage necked to .277.
I've always figured a .270 Win was about as perfect a choice for a dedicated deer rifle as there is.

Kind of like a .30-06 but for deer - if you have one you don't need anything else.

Which is as good a reason as any for not having one.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My 20" Tikka T3 .308 with 2.5-10x24 compact Nightforce. It has become my favorite all around carbine/ rifle. Plus it shoots exceptionally well. With the composite stock it's an easy packing, lightweight joy to carry.

Mackay: is that the varmint contour 20" barrel? I wish I had picked one of those up back when they were still being imported.
Sam, I'm going retro. I found a much abused pre-64 M70 that I'm re-barreling with a Hart in the good old 30.06 and re-stocking with a McMillan that I ordered from Rick. I'll use a Leupold 6xLR. I stared my hunting career when dinosaur tracks were new with the .06 and I'm returning to what I started with. I plan on using 150gr NBT at 3000fps or so. What could possibly be wrong with that?
An 'all around perfect' mulie rifle is this one I have built-

Wby Vanguard action, .270 WSM cal.
Pac-Nor SMG barrel, 24", #2 contour
McMillan Edge stock, Sako Hunter style, 1" Pachmayr Decellerator pad, action bedded and free-floated
Timney trigger
VX3 2.5-8 glass in Talley LW mounts
130 gr. Nosler E-Tip bullets at 3300 fps. MV.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
My last six or seven mule deer have been taken with this .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, mostly with the 6x Leupold shown. Handloaded ammo, zeroed at 300 yards. I've used different bullets over the years, but the rifle remains the same.

[Linked Image]

Hunting for mule deer is my all-time favorite hunt.

Regards, Guy
Well mine is Winchester Extreme Weather Stainlessin 270WSM. Pretty flat to 300 yds and can push a 140 grain bullet through almost all the things it is pointed at.

Went with a Vortex 4x12PA Viper and Luepy rings/bases

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rman Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
7 poundish 243AI.
22" barrel.
6x42, M1's.
Talley Rings.
105 A-max at 2.850".

If more ooompf was required, than as above, in 7mm Shamwow.

If it can't be done with one of those two set ups, then it really just can't be done.

R.
Whatever a guy uses, he should be able to consistently hit a basketball from the muzzle to 400 yards (or whatever range he feels comfortable). He should be able to go from a comfortable carry position that he can utilize for miles, to a shooting position, and be able to fire on that 0-400 yard basketball, in under 10 seconds. The less time spent dicking around with foldy shooting sticks, wind gauges, magnification changes, and whatever other BS Field & Stream and Cabelas says is needed, the better off he will be.

If a guy is practiced up enough to do these things, and is in good enough shape to do some walking, he should be well off. When it comes to spending money on equipment, instead of buying another rifle, upgrade to a better set of binos.

Some good advice here. That's the way I practice and everyone at the range looks at me funny. "you are only as good as what you can see"
The closest to perfect that I currently own is a Montana 7WSM with a Leupold 3.5-10. No muley tag this year, but I did kill a dink Hills 4x4 whitetail last Saturday with it. I'd really like to find an 84M in 7-08 to go with it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one is the rifle I'll grab from now on....

GA Precision Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM. I shoot 139gr scenars at 3175fps....I had a hand in designing the rifle, so I'm a bit biased........grin!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/27/13
I would take either my 260 or 308 GAP Non Typicals...
[Linked Image]
270 Weatherby Mag Ultralight with a 4.5x14x40 Leupold VX3 shooting 130 grain Nosler Partitions!
Ga Precision 6.5 Saum in the Extreme Hunter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This one for me.German Weatherby MKV in 270 Wby mag shooting 130 gr partitions. Going to re-scope with a Leupold 4x12 I am thinking.
holy crap, these last few posts contain some badass hardware!!!

Nice mulie, Pat.

.264 with Brux 1-8" Sporter contour in a McM Classic.

[Linked Image]
Something in a 6.5mm, with a 3-15 or so scope. Definitely something that is capable of sniping a mulie out of his bed at 400-500yds.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one is the rifle I'll grab from now on....

GA Precision Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM. I shoot 139gr scenars at 3175fps....I had a hand in designing the rifle, so I'm a bit biased........grin!

Sheesh, Pat.... "Carl" is looking exceptionally rough these days! smile

That's an awesome buck.

Tanner
Great buck Pat.

Nice rifles everyone!

Here's my 2 current favorites.

Used this one on 4 bucks, 3 mule deer and a whitetail.

Sako A7, Edge stock, 6x42LR, 300 WSM, 180 Partitions, right at 7lbs scoped with sling.

[Linked Image]

New rifle that I used this Fall.

Montana 243, 2.5-8x36 B&C, 90 Scenar.

[Linked Image]

Never hunted mulies, I'd think though that my ol'270 M700/Pac-Nor in the B&C mountain rifle stock would fill the bill. 3-9 VXII w/dots to help point it the right direction. Got a big stash of those 140 ABs Sam mentioned.
Runner up might be the SC M70 Fwt. 7-08 with it's 2-7 VXII w/dots. Not as accurate as the 270 with the Pac-Nor but more than good enough for any shot I'd likely take.
Really need to try a mulie hunt before time gets away from me.

I'm bored.......grin

I don't currently own a 270, but I wouldn't mind another. A light rig launching the 150 LRAB would be lotsa fun.....tough on the Mulie population too.
Old Style - tanger M77 in the 7x57 with a 4X Leupold. Why a 4X? Because Jack O'Connor told me that is all I need.

[Linked Image]
montana .260 with 120ttsx's....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
This one for me.German Weatherby MKV in 270 Wby mag shooting 130 gr partitions. Going to re-scope with a Leupold 4x12 I am thinking.

BEAUTIFUL! And perfect in almost every way. While re scoping, go up one more step to the Loopy 4.5-14. The optics are excellent on those and in the LRS version (30mm tube) you can get the gloss finish that rifle deserves. There are also some Gloss finish Burris 4-16x44's out and about and that is what I started running this year after about a 25 year run with the Leupold 4.5-14's. Yours is my favorite rifle of this thread so far, other than mine, of course.... smile
Lots of great looking rifles posted on here! For perfect mulie rifles that I own, it'd be my old Mauser 98 sporter 8x57. Definitely not the perfect all-around rifle, but it serves me well. I'm also hoping to plunk a deer this coming season with my new-to-me Sako .22-250.

Pat, do you ever take your old Swift out after critters much anymore?
M70 stainless classic .270 Win in Micky (Winlite) stock, topped with a Leupy 2.5-8 with Boone & Crocket reticle. Been using 130 NBTs and 140 Sierras.
Huntsman: why did you hide your shooting sticks in that picture? Can't believe you went without them? laugh
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
I've always figured a .270 Win was about as perfect a choice for a dedicated deer rifle as there is.

Kind of like a .30-06 but for deer - if you have one you don't need anything else.

LOL I can't help it but to desire to have a 270 in my safe again! My last one ended up going to younger a cousin as a loaner and he fell in lover with it, so it is more or less his now.

I've got an itch to put together a duplicate of that rifle, just can't figure if want to go full looney with the 280ai or keep it classic in 270.

Of course this is coming from the same guy that uses a 30-06 and 30-30 as his do it all rifles. Plain and proven seems to light my fire.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

LOL I can't help it but to desire to have a 270 in my safe again! My last one ended up going to younger a cousin as a loaner and he fell in lover with it, so it is more or less his now.

I've got an itch to put together a duplicate of that rifle, just can't figure if want to go full looney with the 280ai or keep it classic in 270.

Of course this is coming from the same guy that uses a 30-06 and 30-30 as his do it all rifles. Plain and proven seems to light my fire.

A 338 win mag and 375 H&H are also "plain and proven" as well. Just sayin wink grin
True! I'm going to feel like such a noob if/when I go 375Ruger.
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Huntsman: why did you hide your shooting sticks in that picture? Can't believe you went without them? laugh

Not hidden purposefully. They happen to be on the ground behind the lunchbag. I don't go nowhere without them....
Originally Posted by 444Matt

I've kinda been thinking the same thing. Already have a crude ADL in 270 so thought maybe a 280AI. Not that there'd be a chit worth of difference for a hunting rifle.

I was just worried that feeding might not be as slick with the AI but that is just a guess. That and I would prefer to have smallest hole possible for the Kimber's cow barrel. No way I'd do a .30 cal Kimber, too thin for me.
My trusty 260 non-typical
VX-6 2-12x42

[Linked Image]
Posted By: prm Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/28/13
I'm thinking an 84L Montana in 280ai. Toss a VX-2 4-12 w/CDS on it and I'd be pretty happy. When I think Mule Deer hunting, I think high up the mountains of CO, so lightweight is important. I could go 7-08 in an 84M too, or possibly a Savage Lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. This could be hard to narrow down.

[Linked Image]

I shoot 139gr scenars at 3175fps...

For laughs, I plugged those numbers into JBM. That would greatly simplify wind and range estimation and adjustments! Nice rifle, and a nice buck! What does that rifle weigh?
[Linked Image]

My little guys like it as much as I do...the four of us put over 1500 rounds through it this past summer.

It weighs nine pounds with a sling and full mag.
I've been playing around with RS Magnum in mine.. Have you given it a go?
Thanks Pat. That is an amazing rifle combination. I may have to rethink my next rifle. Any reason to choose a 139 Scenar over a 130 Berger or vice versa? I'll try not to hijack this thread, but that rifle has me just about giddy thinking about the possibilities.
Originally Posted by prm
I'm thinking an 84L Montana in 280ai. Toss a VX-2 4-12 w/CDS on it and I'd be pretty happy. When I think Mule Deer hunting, I think high up the mountains of CO, so lightweight is important. I could go 7-08 in an 84M too

only thing wrong with yer 'pretty happy' choice is the LA kimber. the 84M in 260/7-08 is where it's at.......

[Linked Image]

At least until that damn scenarshooter upped the 'pretty happy' requirement with HIS 'orgasmic-ly happy' choice. [bleep]......grin
Yup, That ^^^ would work. But Scenarshooter's 6.5 pretty much ends the discussion on an ideal Mule Deer rifle for open terrain.
Maybe if it was 2lbs lighter(and didn't cost $5k).....grin

Dandy buck Marty!
Ha! It's a badazz rifle for sure, it also costs about as much as my truck!

Nice stuff Pat! Great pic of the kiddos and the buck!
A guy would have to give up drinking beer and whiskey in order to afford one of those.

And we know that ain't gonna happen.....grin

700 action, edge stock, fluted #3 brux, smith work... You could probably put something similar together that would go 7.5-8#'s scoped for a couple grand, sans optics.

I don't know what that Tasco he's got on there goes for though whistle
Posted By: jwall Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/28/13
Well for a WHOLE lot less money, I pick T 3 S S Lite in 7 RM.

I'm shooting 139 H B T S P at 3300 fps from a 24" bll. My current is a Rem 700 ADL Syn. and the same loads work in several 700s.

This load and rifle has accounted for many WTs and would definitely work well on M D. The 4 legged kind that is <G>
Those German Tasco's aren't cheap!

I have a Sako 85 300WSM that might make a good donor action for a 6.5 SUAM. Ditch the factory stock and replace with an EDGE.

Never screwed around with a 'custom' before but maybe someday.
You could buy mine..
You just built it and now you sellin'!?
Originally Posted by huntsman22

only thing wrong with yer 'pretty happy' choice is the LA kimber. the 84M in 260/7-08 is where it's at.......

[Linked Image]

Looks like a pretty handy rifle.

Interesting to see what everyone's idea of "perfect" is.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
You just built it and now you sellin'!?

Dude.. Everything is for sale. Prices just need to be agreed to. smirk
This one has taken way more mule deer than anything else in the gun safe. so it's probably about as close to ideal as anything that I own:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Commercial FN action, Krieger barrel, Caudill stock chambered for (gasp!) .270 Winchester.
Purty!
Mudhen, beautiful rifle.

For 15 years or so, it was a Sako 270 Win in a McM stock with a Leupold 2.5x8 scope.....got a couple of paint jobs over the years & besides mule deer, it also accounted for antelope, elk & moose so it's been my real go-to rifle.

Been replaced recently with a worked over Rem 700 MR in 280 Rem with a 2.5x8 Leupold & the Sako is "retired". The Rem is over a pound & a half lighter than the Sako. smile

MM

A couple of the Sako's work

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The current favorite.....Rem 700 MR in 280 Rem

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mudhen
This one has taken way more mule deer than anything else in the gun safe. so it's probably about as close to ideal as anything that I own:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Commercial FN action, Krieger barrel, Caudill stock chambered for (gasp!) .270 Winchester.

Another great rifle! And a commercial FN for its heart and soul, (Just like mine) to boot! Totally digging that one, friend.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by prm
I'm thinking an 84L Montana in 280ai. Toss a VX-2 4-12 w/CDS on it and I'd be pretty happy. When I think Mule Deer hunting, I think high up the mountains of CO, so lightweight is important. I could go 7-08 in an 84M too

[Linked Image]

At least until that damn scenarshooter upped the 'pretty happy' requirement with HIS 'orgasmic-ly happy' choice. [bleep]......grin

Huntsman22,

I have long envied your collection of fine handguns, every one of them which I have seen here so far (Or at least that I remember) being classic and classy and even an heirloom gun in some cases. WHAT evil spell befell you that your rifle wears plastic!?!?!?? You have fallen quite far from a very high pedestal I once had you on, sigh...... <G> And its not like you live in Rainy SE AK where such a handle might make a little bit of sense.

it's because I'm really a weenie-baby, and needed a lighter, easier recoiling rifle.

shhhh....

don't tell anyone and ruin my macho cowboy image, huh? thanks......
I've taken what I'd consider about a dozen really mature mule deer bucks over the decades, from Sonora to Alberta. The cartridges have run from the .257 Roberts to the .300 Winchester Magnum, but I just averaged the calibers, bullet weights and muzzle velocities of all the loads used. The result was a 7mm bullet of 150 grains at 2900 fps. Don't think I'd feel terribly handicapped using that for any mule deer hunting, anywhere.
If you'da used the swift or a 243 also, your average might be down where mine is. A 6.5 120 at 2975. Welcome to the weenie-baby club.
Posted By: rta48 Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/29/13
John and that is the reason I have settled on my 280AI, could have skipped the AI part and been fine. A .284 150 NBT in any setting will serve all of my needs.

Randy
Posted By: CFVA Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/29/13
My perfect mule deer rifle? This one:

[Linked Image]

Even works on whitetails:

[Linked Image]
Nice bucks buddy. I like the rifle too.
Sam;
Happy Thanksgiving to you sir, I trust that this has been a good one for you and yours.

Thanks for the interesting reading and viewing that your question/thread has provided. It's interesting how many different roads there are that lead to the same eventual outcome, isn't it?

Anyway, there was a time a couple decades back when we (my hunting partner, my good wife or I) would end up dragging at least one and most years two mulies off the local hills on our backs.

I built a .308 Norma on a wartime 98 action for my wife to give us a bit more reach across the feeder creeks and such. It looks like this.
[Linked Image]

I liked the cartridge so much that I cobbled together a Norma for myself on a 77 action and between the two rifles accounted for a fair few mulie bucks - along with the odd whitetail - over the years.

Sometime a bit later I started hunting this way.
[Linked Image]

For that style of hunting I modified a No. 1 which happened to be in .300 Win Mag - and the combination of the No. 1 and Carly the Appy proved to be a workable solution too.

This wasn't a horse hunting day exactly - it was a day off school for the girls so naturally we went hunting. wink

The No. 1 still worked there too, as long as I didn't have to carry it too far, as like another hat wearer here, I'll admit to being not that rugged a fellow. laugh
[Linked Image]

That time frame in my life accounted for the most mature mulies, so a 165gr or 180gr bullet heading out at 3100fps was the recipe.

Somewhere along the way I began to care less and less about mulie racks though Sam. Who knows, I might take up the chase again some year again - or not. This guy for instance is laying almost exactly where our eldest shot her mulie from this fall -on the mountain just behind our place.

[Linked Image]

These days I just use a plain vanilla .270 money pit 98 parts gun to fill the freezer most falls if I can. It weighs 7lbs holding 5 rounds of 130gr bullets that exit going 3050fps.

So that's my current mulie rifle and the path I've taken to get there.

Thanks again for the thread Sam and again all the best to you and yours this Thanksgiving.

Dwayne
Thanks for all the great posts, some really nice bucks on this thread!

Dwayne, awesome pics of your daughters and the pony.

You are also back to the old 270, I'm really surprised....grin

At 12 or 13 years old I started out with a 22-250 and it worked fine on a few deer and antelope. Couple years later I got a push feed M70 Winlite in 25-06. That is the only rifle I wish I still had, McMillian stock, nice and handy, etc..

By the time I was a junior or senior in high school the local hardware store had a 300 Win mag so like an idiot I traded the 25-06.

The 300 Mag was one of those monstrosities with the infamous ear breaking BOSS system. Used that thing for a few years and almost went deaf, didn't know any better.

In the mean time I picked up a slightly used ADL in 270 that was much easier on the ears. Still have that one but it's not anything I'd carry around all day on purpose.

Hunted a year or two with a pencil barreled '06 and then onto a couple different 300 WSM's. Actually really like the lightweight Sako A7 and used it several years in a row.

This past Fall was the Kimber 243's first season so of course I had to try that one out.

First deer(a few years ago.... grin), it's still hanging in my parent's house.

[Linked Image]
No way that's you.
No Aviators?
[Linked Image]

.220 Swift took this 30" buck 28 years ago, north of Bozeman in the Bridger Range.

The Swift will work fine if you choose your shots and keep them under 350 or so...
You can get a pretty nice buck down in those backyards..

Pair of 1894's .25-35

[Linked Image]

now that's super coool!!!!!!!!
I liked it when you had to climb the mountain....times sure have changed.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/29/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
No way that's you.

Yeah, where's the beer!? wink
Originally Posted by mooshoo

Pair of 1894's .25-35

[Linked Image]

now that's super coool!!!!!!!!

Agreed, in spades! I have purchased or more often traded into over the years many cool lever action rifles in various calibers that I wanted to use including a couple of 25/35's, a 22 Hi Power carbine, three or four 250/3000's, coupla 30/30 in both regular and AI versions, several 348WCF's, two different 358's all with the idea that I was going to take them somewhere in the Eastern US and hunt Whitetails in a classic old timey manner. I even have all of the LL Bean and Filson red and black hunting garments down to the Bean "Maine Hunting Shoes" smile Each time, though, these rifles have had to be sacrificed to the realities of a too early forced retirement and the always insidious monthly bills and such that keep coming. Still clinging to the hope of such a hunt, though.

I am REALLY enjoying this thread! Lots of great Mule Deer buck photos and some awesome rifles, both custom and high end factory stuff.

I have some neat mounts from my days of hunting in Africa most years, but very few animals are as pretty and as grand as a really good Mule Deer buck, IMO. Even after killing a semi load of them and my chronic pain and exhaustion issues I still get really excited about the mule deer opener! And I STILL have to talk myself down from trying to shoot with buck fever making a steady shot more difficult! Just love it, and these bucks. Keep 'em (the pictures) coming, please!
Sam,

Cool photo!

Those damn BOSS's have to be loudest muzzle brake ever invented. I was with a buddy in Colorado once when he shot a good mule deer buck with his .30-06 A-Bolt with a BOSS. He hit the buck pretty well the first shot, but was using a very hard "wonder bullet" that's no longer made, and the buck didn't die quickly, so he kept shooting--and the buck still died slowly. My buddy said, "I knew the rifle was going off because every time I pulled the trigger I went deaf!"
Sam...great thread here. Your 1st deer was a outstanding start!

Whitebird, Safariman, Mudhen, Montanaman, Huntsman, CFVA, BC, Scenar.....Nice rifles all!

For myself, my 1st rifle was a little 660 Rem .243. Moved on to a .280 Rem on a VZ24 Mauser and then a 10 1/2 lb FN Mauser 06.....still have this one. Then had an old Pre 64 H&H action barreled up as a .338. I owned that for 20 years and used it exclusively for 10. Mule deer, whitetails, and one cow elk.

More recently, I've stuck with 2 Husky Mausers....one factory pencil barreled 06 in a Rimrock glass stock and a 9.3x62 in the original wood.

I've got 2 .270's waiting......one old JC Higgins that now has a Micky Edge. The original barrel doesn't shoot real good, so if I can't make it behave, then on goes a Brux #2 9 twist. The other is a FN Mauser Deluxe which has a barrel taper very close to the Brux.

This batch of old Mausers will probably stay with me 'til I auger in. The only others I would like to try would be a Kimber Montana 84M of some sort. That's it for my Mule deer rifles. Great thread and pics all.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/29/13
[Linked Image]

.220 Swift took this 30" buck 28 years ago, north of Bozeman in the Bridger Range.

The Swift will work fine if you choose your shots and keep them under 350 or so...

Pat heres another north Bridger buck from back in the day�this was 21 years ago!

[Linked Image]

7x57
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The result was a 7mm bullet of 150 grains at 2900 fps. Don't think I'd feel terribly handicapped using that for any mule deer hunting, anywhere.

Could be a 7mm SAUM?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The result was a 7mm bullet of 150 grains at 2900 fps. Don't think I'd feel terribly handicapped using that for any mule deer hunting, anywhere.

Could be a 7mm SAUM?

Sure sounds like a 270 Winchester to me... whistle smile
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Pat heres another north Bridger buck from back in the day�this was 21 years ago!

[Linked Image]

7x57

[Linked Image]

Bridger bucks.....taken in the late 70's.
My favored one the last few years..7mm weatherby

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

7x57

Wow.

You were old even back then.
<belly laugh>
Take a knee,

A 7mm SAUM gets an easy 3100 out of a 150.

As Bob mentioned, a 7mm 150 at 2900 could easily be a .270 Winchester, especially since a .277 bullet is actually much closer to 7mm in diameter than a .284 bullet.
Maybe if it was 2lbs lighter(and didn't cost $5k).....grin

Dandy buck Marty!

Thanks Sam!

Consider me hooked... I'm cleared for takeoff next fall, just lining it up later this year.
It's been years since I've killed a mulie. Every year I tell myself I'm going to focus on them but always get drawn back to whitetails. I hunted them hard this season but shot a whitetail buck at 450 yards day before yesterday. But my ideal rifle that's in my safe for mulies would be this one
[Linked Image]

T3 270win with 130gr accubonds at about 3000fps, DNZ low mount with vx3 4.5-14x40 CDS. I've had it 2 years and so far it's been used on 8 deer with great results.
How'd you keep the rifle from getting blowed over?
Lovin' the pics, awesome bucks and country!

Thanks for sharing, post more if you have 'em.

I've never hunted mule deer in the mountains. That would be fun.

Saw the biggest mule deer of the year last weekend, on the Rez. Coulda shot him, had the 243 out the window....grin

Nose straight up a doe's ass. Shook my head and said a prayer that he smartens up soon!
Probably the same ones I use for white tails here in the east rem 700 mtn rifle in 270 or my ruger 77 in 257 Roberts . Either should do the trick I'd think.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
How'd you keep the rifle from getting blowed over?

I only hunt when the wind doesn't blow....grin
Posted By: anie Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 11/30/13
Great pictures of rifles and mulies!

I will stick with my redneck made lf model 70 300 win mag running 150 ttsx
At 3,300 v. Zeroed at 250
Originally Posted by anie
Great pictures of rifles and mulies!

I will stick with my redneck made lf model 70 300 win mag running 150 ttsx
At 3,300 v. Zeroed at 250

That sounds like a great overall rifle, round and load for Mule Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Speedgoats or whitetails to me.
Posted By: jwall Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 12/01/13
Originally Posted by jwall

I'm shooting 139 H B T S P at 3300 fps from a 24" bll. My current is a Rem 700 ADL Syn. and the same loads work in several 700s.

OOPS, I forgot that I also have a 700 BDL in 7 RM.....but it got toooo fat & heavy for me. It also like the 139 at 3300 fps and is proven.

My son is trying to claim that one. Probably will.
I really wish I could do this one over again in a 300 WSM.

I built it to be my West Dakota gun. It's a 700 short action, blueprinted and barreled by the Late Jeff Lawrence of Lewistown MT. One of the last guns he did before he sold to Proof Manufacturing here in Ktown. 1:8 twist "260 Tactical" Hollands lug, 1st gen Ti takeoff from 'Fire member Carl Ross painted by Rick Bin I believe. #3 countour tube, Talley low LWs, and a Loopy VX-2 With CDS elevation and an AO. I don't know if I love it enough to stock it in a Micky or send the scope in for an M1, or send it off to flute and lighten everything that can be fluted and hacked on.

[Linked Image]

Before Black Jesus made it hard to buy reloading components, I shot it with 130 Accubonds over RL19 in RP cases and Fed 210Ms. Getting into the 2800's was easy (the tube is 24") and if I had time to [bleep] with it, I know it'll group tighter.
[Linked Image]

It shoots good enough prone with a sling that I can murder the [bleep] out of a 10x10 plate at 450.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll [bleep] with it more this winter, especially with Lapua brass and H4350.
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Before Black Jesus made it hard to buy reloading components,

Dan, that had me laughing.!

Dude, there is still 15 minutes of light left this season, go shoot a trailerhood doe.

Either my nearly 60 year old model 70 .270 fwt or my pre 64 M70 mcm edge 280 AI. But thats just me....
Greek,
I'll trade you a high dollar crossbow for it if you got a little loot to add to it.
What are friends for?
Let me know.
Slave
Originally Posted by handwerk
Either my nearly 60 year old model 70 .270 fwt or my pre 64 M70 mcm edge 280 AI. But thats just me....

Not the H&H?
The 280AI sounds just right...
Make mine a 7mag something, 3-10x'ish scope, and 160's running 3000.
Not a 223 shooting 55's?

I heard those Texas bucks just stand around while you shoot at 'em.

grin
JGRaider has it about right. A 7 magnum of some description is a great choice.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DanAdair

Before Black Jesus made it hard to buy reloading components,

Dan, that had me laughing.!

Dude, there is still 15 minutes of light left this season, go shoot a trailerhood doe.

I smoked a riverbottom doe with a 12 gauge 2nd week of rifle. Enough for fajitas and meatloaf this winter.

I didn't feel the need to take pictures of what a headshot at 15 yards with Federal Premium #4 buckshot out of a .660 constriction choke does.

Plus, it was a before work hunt, and I forgot my camera frown

I might just sell that new 260 to my brother and buy a new Winchester M70EW in 300 WSM and stick it in a Micky. It'll be an awesome flatlands gun...
Not a 223 shooting 55's?

I heard those Texas bucks just stand around while you shoot at 'em.
grin

Those kind of deer can be found down here for sure, but the lardazzz lawyers keep those hunts all booked up.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 12/02/13
Dan,

that 260 is a sweet looking rig. Very nice
I've had more than a few 260's on 700/7 actions. I even know for a fact that it kills mule deer. Okay, I'll just build another gun in a 300 WSM laugh

One from the archives, before I had gray hair an' [bleep]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 12/02/13
Same, same whether blacktail, whitetail or mule deer, an old 700 ADL 270 Win that I bought used whilst living in Midland TX from Tommy "Hoss Fly's" pawn shop. Bought it, a 2.5-10X Leopold, 10 boxes of 130 gr Partition's and 10 boxes of Western primed brass for a fair price and have been shooting the combo ever since.

[Linked Image]
Dandy buck Ed!

Looks like that 270 works just fine.
Interesting thoughts and lots of great pictures. I prefer a little more weight in the rifle than some of you fellas.

This is my perfect muley rifle and it weighs a svelte 10 lbs. grin

[Linked Image]

I don't get to hunt mule deer very much but last year I drew a good tag.

[Linked Image]

Rifle is chambered in a version of the 264 Win Mag (140gr VLDs @ 3250fps) and offers more reach than anything I have seen but is still quick up close. Optic is my 4.5-14 with a custom turret that gets it just shy of 1100yds on the first rotation.

Taking the same formula but dropping down to .243 Win makes a pretty good Muley rifle if you keep the shots reasonable (less than 800yds). My old tan .243 has actually stacked up more nice bucks (just not by me)than the the grey rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott Z has a pretty close twin but (.264 Win Mag) with a #3 contour that started life as a booth gun for the shows. He has put that rifle to work and calls it "The Green Hornet".

Last years muley buck (350yds) and a nice eatin bull (975yds).

[img]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/DSC00089_zps4f88633f.jpg[/img]

The Green Hornet didn't get a mule deer this year but here is one of three whitetails it brought to bag in mule deer county.

[img]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums...013%20WT%20Hunt/DSC00750_zps61ec1cef.jpg[/img]

Be it mulies, whitetail, elk, antelope or whatever this rifle configuration works for me. grin
Dang it John!! Great bunch of critters! Thanks for sharing.
Never have had a chance to hunt Mule deer, but would love to. So if you gave me a musket and stuck me in Mule deer country I'd be happy.

Of course, If John let me use his rifle that would make me even happier.
Posted By: jwall Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 12/04/13
Originally Posted by jwall
Well for a WHOLE lot less money, I pick T 3 S S Lite in 7 RM.
>

DANG you guys!! I can't get that rifle off my mind.

It's not like I don't have a few 7 R Ms smirk crazy blush grin
Lot's of great bucks and rifles posted!

Burns, awesome 243 collection, too bad they are all dinks though.....grin

Here's another 243 dink from 2013.

[Linked Image]

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 7mm-08, 140 gr NP, Big Game and WLR primers, 2870 ft/sec.

[Linked Image]

P
Lot's of great bucks and rifles posted!

Burns, awesome 243 collection, too bad they are all dinks though.....grin

Here's another 243 dink from 2013.

[Linked Image]

Sam,

Great buck. I read the thread and loved the story . Thanks for posting it and the pictures.

The .243 Win really is a serious deer round. Maybe someday those guys will let me hunt bucks with mine. laugh

Nice job on this thread and thanks to everyone. Fun reading. grin

Did I ever post a picture of the deer I shot on the way to the range???

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jwall Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 12/04/13
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Did I ever post a picture of the deer I shot on the way to the range???

[Linked Image]

Man! You were a lot younger there!! <G>
Could a guy get by with a 6.5-06 ackley vs. A 264 win mag?
270 Winchester all the way.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Yep!

But, then I am slumming one! whistle
It depends. Do you want your choice to roll of the tongue? too-sexty-foh winnnnnnnmag

Or sound like yer coughing up a hairball? sixx-poin-figh-odd-sex ack,ack,ack,ack, ack-leeeee, puh-tooiey,wipe, improved.....
6.5 ShamWow?
That 'rolls', too....
Originally Posted by sactoller

Yep!

But, then I am slumming one! whistle

Can you PM me some loads? Thanks!

I suppose a guy could start making out with other guys too...
Few day's ago
Chit ball .25 115 Berger
Yuppie tube that seems to track well every!!!!!!!!!!!time
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 7mm-08, 140 gr NP, Big Game and WLR primers, 2870 ft/sec.

[Linked Image]

P

Pharm, will all the work you did in coming up with that load, I'm glad to see you got some results! Great pic, and congrats all the way around. Like I said before, when a rifle likes a partition, problem solved.
4-14 Leica, Rem 700 action, .264 Obermeyer barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady 140gr Amax No mule deer with it but it works on white tails.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Have shot a few mule deer but no big ones. Have always used my Model 70 in 300H&H with 180gr. Partitions, I expect it would work fine on the big ones too. Has a 4.5-14X50 Vari XIII on it.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

[Linked Image]

P

Pharm, will all the work you did in coming up with that load, I'm glad to see you got some results! Great pic, and congrats all the way around. Like I said before, when a rifle likes a partition, problem solved.

Yeah, the trick was finding speed. Varget was accurate as heck but sloooow. Big Game and WLR shot as well or better at 200 ft/sec faster.

Killed a Rosie bull with the same load, probably from the same production run.

P
Posted By: 805 Re: Your Perfect Mule Deer Rifle - 12/05/13
John,

What tag did you draw? PM me if you want. Im looking to burn my WY points.
© 24hourcampfire