Home
Posted By: jr1968 Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
What would be a good deer round when the longest shot
would be 150 yards, and deer that weigh 130 lbs. at most?

jr1968
Your question is like asking "what would be a good car for me to drive 5 miles to work every day?"

There are LOTS of good cartridges that would fill the bill. And the bullet is more important than the cartridge.
Give the good ol .30-30 or maybe the .35 Remington a look. Either will work very well at that range.
It'd be tough to pick a loser for your scenario, though I've little doubt some 'fire favorites will be along shortly to do just that...........
Just about any rifle you find on sale, new or used that is legal for deer in your state.
Posted By: Shod Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
It'd be tough to pick a loser for your scenario, though I've little doubt some 'fire favorites will be along shortly to do just that...........

I'd have to respectfully disagree with that statement! Given the current situation with components there are quite a number of oddball cartridges that are next to impossible to get ammunition for now days. Any rifle that you can't get components for would be a very bad choice unless you plan to throw your rifle at the deer to kill it.

Shod
Anything but a .270 wink
slingshot would be best
Posted By: ned Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
Posted By: RWE Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
577 T-rex
Posted By: RWE Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
seriously, get a 336, a 4x, and some FTX's and get to gettin it....
Originally Posted by jr1968

jr1968

Pick something you like from 223 on up. Many I hunt with just get a 30-06 and call it good, if I was new to the deer hunting game I would start with a 7mm-08 in a compact and LW package with a great scope in great mounts. Spend good money on your scope and mounts maybe even more than on the rifle.
Originally Posted by RWE

This explains it a litte better than I did.
Originally Posted by southtexas
Your question is like asking "what would be a good car for me to drive 5 miles to work every day?"

You got that right!
Anything that will work on a whitetail at 250 yards will work on one at 150 yards as well. Pick whatever appeals to you and get out amongst em!
My 722 in .300 Savage....
The best is subjective. That being said, with those parameters I would roll with:

6mm Rem

Something in that class of cartridges, in a lightweight bolt gun, with a short barrel (20"s) or so, topped with a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 Leupold, or 2.5-10 Nightforce.
Come on, guys.
We need the specifics first.
Whitetail or Mule?
Flatland or Rockies?
Farmfields or badlands?
Opening day or Rut?
Buck or doe?
Trophy buck or cull?
Brushy or grass?
Deep forest or logged?
Irons or optic?
Bolt or AR?
Lever or Smokepole?
Windy or calm?
Rain or snow?
Altitude or Sea level?
10x or 8x binocs?
Paper or plastic?

Thanks, I got it.

Pretty much any center fire that goes bang.
Sounds like a perfect scenario for my M-77 in .250s smile

Or a nice 257
or a 6.5x55
or 260
wink
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The best is subjective. That being said, with those parameters I would roll with:

.243. There...fixed it for you! I'm thinking jr1968 isn't a handloader and 6 mm remington ammo can be difficult to aquire. Shod

Something in that class of cartridges, in a lightweight bolt gun, with a short barrel (20"s) or so, topped with a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 Leupold, or 2.5-10 Nightforce.
300 RUM, 208 A-max, 6.5-20 Leupold.
ok, i'll bite. 308 for several reasons

guns chambered in every known action
relatively mild recoil
reduced recoil loads available
regular cheap, readily available effective ammo
probably more bullet/ammo selection than almost any other from cheap milsurp to precision target
most 308's will shoot real close to MOA if not screwed up
the 150 grain corelokt bullet will drop a deer in its tracks for $16/box
.223 Rem
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by RWE

This explains it a litte better than I did.

This would be my first stop as well, although I wouldn't turn away from a good deal on a 7mm/08 Ruger American if it was cheaper than the 336 Marlin.
I'm thinking a light, fast action .308 WIN might work - I'll try this one out tomorrow morning and report back.

[Linked Image]
.276 Pedersen.

Thank me later.

FC
First choice would be a .30-30..seriously.

Accurate enough for sure,not so fast it tears up a lot of meat, and big enough to leave a blood trail should you need one. A truly excel;lent and in these days overlooked deer cartridge.
Originally Posted by mmgravy

And I really like this one, too. wink

FC
Originally Posted by doubletap
300 RUM, 208 A-max, 6.5-20 Leupold.

Never hurts to make sure your bases are covered! laugh

Shod
Posted By: Teal Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Accurate enough for sure,not so fast it tears up a lot of meat, and big enough to leave a blood trail should you need one. A truly excel;lent and in these days overlooked deer cartridge.

+1 My first thought was I'd use my old 94 and be done with it.
.35 whelen. I use a crack barrel for primitive season and usually carry it on into rifle season.

Dave
Originally Posted by RWE

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Or almost any short .473" cartridge. To list a few:
.243 Win
.257 Roberts
.260 Rem
6.5x55 Swede
7mm-08
.308 Win
.338 Fed

Pick your poison,they all work.
Pretty much all of them are good 150 yd deer cartridges. I have a .280rem, a 7x57mm, if I bought one today it would be a .243Win unless I found a cool classic rifle I liked. I'd just get it then. smile

Pick a gun you like. At that range they'll all work.
Originally Posted by mmgravy

Exactly what I was talking about in a classic rifle. laugh

I'd be hard for me to pass up a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Although, I just did that on account of no funds for the gun right now. It was hard not to bust out the plastic for that sucker!!

The description the OP gave actually begs for this ^^^^
Posted By: semi Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
Originally Posted by rem141r
ok, i'll bite. 308 for several reasons

guns chambered in every known action
relatively mild recoil
reduced recoil loads available
regular cheap, readily available effective ammo
probably more bullet/ammo selection than almost any other from cheap milsurp to precision target
most 308's will shoot real close to MOA if not screwed up
the 150 grain corelokt bullet will drop a deer in its tracks for $16/box

^^^^^^^ this
I agree with the Marlin 336 in 30-30 or 35 Rem. I picked one up in 35 Rem recently and topped it with a Burris 1.75-5x20 for just this type of hunting. They are light and compact, accurate enough and just plain work for deer at these ranges.

[Linked Image]
I'll cast another vote for 308 of choice! 150 and then some!
A Remingon Model Seven chambered in 260, 7mm08, or 308. Leupold FXII 6-36. Uncle Mike's Mountain sling.
Originally Posted by teal

uzi nine millimeter ...

jr1968

45-70 in a Ruger or Marlin
Your land looks similar and maybe a little less steep than where I hunt up North.

I came across a 99F long ago in .358 Winchester and it has been ideal in my view for woods hunting. The deer there vary in size but we have to be ready if we see a bear!

It's not easy to get a shot there and if the buck runs then be prepared. Being able to shoot a powerful rifle well is an advantage over those who are not practiced.

The Po;obah has spoken.

jr1968

308 Win 165 gr Bullet of your choice
jr. -

There have been several good suggestions, however....

I would NOT choose any cartridge/rifle with a LIMITED range of 130-150 yds.

I would choose one of SEVERAL that will also be dependable for shots out to 300 yds. Who knows? you may get to hunt somewhere in the future where 130-150 yd. limit is a liability.
Wouldn't this be the 358 Winchester? whistle

+1 While I agree there are many others suitable, within the parameters in the OP's question the 30-30 is as good as any and you can buy a box of shells at wally world cheaper than about anything else. The one issue might be style of rifles is somewhat limited.
308 would be very hard to beat for your needs.
The 30-30 with a straight 4x is hard to beat based on your parameters or even the 35 rem. You can also find these in a pump gun. For a bolt, as stated above a 20" carbine in 7mm-08, 243, 260, 308 again straight 4 or maybe a leupy 1x4 would be just as good
Posted By: CLB Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13

jr1968

30-30
35 Rem
444 Marlin
.300 Savage
.308 Win
7-08 Rem
.243 Win
7x57
6.5-06
.270 Win
30-06
.280 Rem
300 SAUM
7mm SAUM

Pretty much everything I own or have owned as far as cartridges go...

Far more important to me are the rifles and bullets I choose.
300 Savage
An accurate peep sighted 30/30 and a box of 150gr. cup and core bullets.

BD

Do you keep those next to your 270s?

;-)
Posted By: mart Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/27/13
35, 375 or 400 Whelen. grin
A Marlin .30-30 with a 4x scope and a box of Remington Core-Lokt 170 grain ammo.

At the distances specified by the OP That rig will kill deer like it's mad at 'em.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Wouldn't this be the 358 Winchester? whistle

It would be ONE OF that qualify. I've had a few 358s and 200 yds. was pretty easy.

But there are others which would do so with LESS recoil. The 7-08 among others.
Posted By: DMc Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/28/13
DUH! Everyone knows the 300 Savage is the PERFECT 150 yard deer round!

DMc
Have a pre-64 Model 94 in 32 Special with the original open sights that has proven perfect for this situation and yardage.
Small compact bolt gun in 6.8 SPC
Originally Posted by senior
Sounds like a perfect scenario for my M-77 in .250s smile

Or a nice 257
or a 6.5x55
or 260
wink

I like this.
Originally Posted by Recruit
300 Savage

in Remington Core Lokt! Perfect match for your criteria.
For those conditions I'd probably grab my M70 classic .358 Win.
Originally Posted by Odessa
I'm thinking a light, fast action .308 WIN might work - I'll try this one out tomorrow morning and report back.

[Linked Image]

If you find yourself unhappy with the 308BLR let me know!!!

Seriously for under 150yd deer, that screams leveraction with a good peep/ghostring sight for me. Hoping to tote this with me friday if the FFL delay comes through

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JustLucky
Just about any rifle you find on sale, new or used that is legal for deer in your state.
. I think this is still a true statement. I may need to add that you need to also ask to buy a box of shells at the same time with the rifle. Most oddballs are not usually on sale and I have noticed a lot more shells on the shelves since November (deer season). Just use common sense. You wouldn't buy a toy without batteries. But, I will say that when ammo was at the lowest levels on the shelves I could always find 30-06 and 270. Try to buy ammo ahead as you can afford it.
Good advice, brother Lucky.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I agree with the Marlin 336 in 30-30 or 35 Rem. I picked one up in 35 Rem recently and topped it with a Burris 1.75-5x20 for just this type of hunting. They are light and compact, accurate enough and just plain work for deer at these ranges.
[Linked Image]

That is a very nice looking Marlin!
Originally Posted by 444Matt

[Linked Image]

Seriously for under 150yd deer, that screams leveraction with a good peep/ghostring sight for me. Hoping to tote this with me friday if the FFL delay comes through

[Linked Image]

.30-30?

I like the stock.

Hope you get to burn fur with it.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

[Linked Image]

a lot of good choices but none are better than this imo.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.30-30?

I like the stock.

Matt,

You got good wood !

Paul.
50 BMG...no tracking required. However if you are recoil sensitive, then 300 Savage.
Posted By: Otis Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/28/13
I like my Ruger 77 in 358 Win. Perfect at those ranges! [img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]
Same rifle I'd use at 50 yards or 450 yards. Most any of mine.
I hunt NY over in zone 9T, a little west of where you are. Since NYDEC has allowed centerfire rifles, I've taken deer there with .308, .270, and .30-06. They all work well.
A Marlin 30-30 would have me covered but If I could find a 7x30Waters that would be sexy too! cool

Or a 250Savage.

Dang, ONE best cartridge cry that's nuts!

jr1968

Pick a cartridge from .26-.30 caliber firing a bullet at 2600-2800 fps. This (obviously) encompasses many choices. Any will work so pick your favorite and go hunting.

Just for the record, I'd choose a 7-08 smile
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.30-30?

I like the stock.

Matt,

You got good wood !

Paul.

Thanks guys, just the standard stock set on the newer remlin 336W's

Looks like I won't be able to pick it up til Saturday. I'll be chopping wood cooking BBQ and drinking bourbon all day saturday in prep for the Iron Bowl so it will have to wait another week or so.
358 Winchester would be my choice at 150 yards. For deer, it is a little hammer and IMHO would work well out to 250 yards with the right bullet. I hand load and use 225 grain NP's for both elk and deer.

jr1968

Anything between .223 and 35 Whelen.
The 270 would be perfect but no one wants to admit it. Seriously, the 270 is an excellent deer caliber.
Anything lighter than a 22LR is likely too light. wink
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The 270 would be perfect but no one wants to admit it. Seriously, the 270 is an excellent deer caliber . . . . . . for women. .

Fixed it for ya. laugh
^^^^^^
Shootist...good one grin

Originally Posted by Arns9

Pick a cartridge from .26-.30 caliber firing a bullet at 2600-2800 fps. This (obviously) encompasses many choices. Any will work so pick your favorite and go hunting.

You do realize you just left out such effect deer guns as the 30-30, 32special, 35rem & .44mag shocked
And also my fav deer gun of all time, the 1899 Sav 38-55 shooting 220Horns at 1900fps smile
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The 270 would be perfect but no one wants to admit it. Seriously, the 270 is an excellent deer caliber . . . . . . for women. .

Fixed it for ya. laugh

No! No!..............that's the 7X57 !! <G>
Mule Deer once extolled the virtues of the B29. It would be my choice without hesitation.

If I could find one. He didn't release specs when he wrote it up way back when...
Enough of this banter. I will tell the secret of killing deer at 150 yards. The identity of this cartridge has been closely kept secret for the last 70 plus years. It is perfect in all respects and largely overlooked.

6.5 Jap.

Go now, pilgrim, to Gunbroker and bid on an Arisaka.

You will possess the most perfect deer cartridge for 150 yards smiting.

Most of the suggestions made are acceptable. My preference would be for a light weight bolt rifle in a light recoiling, accurate cartridge, shooting a bullet of at least 120 gr. at a mv of 2500 fps or up. My preference would be a 260, 6.5x55, 6.5X47 Lapua, or 7mm-08. Even in a short range rifle accuracy and a flat trajectory is paramount to shoot thru the little "windows" in the brush. Good optic that help you see your way thru those windows is also a must.
Thank you Guy's,

For all of your help, I wish the 6.5x55 was cambered
in more commercial offerings, but I think it is narrowed
downed to either 25-06 or 243. I really appreciate all of your
help.

Thank You Very Much,

jr1968
What shade of red is the best one? Off the top, at least two dozen different rounds. Bottom line is the one you can shoot well. A dinner plate offhand with the rifle and cartridge of your choice. That is the best one for deer at 150 yards. Pick a good bullet and put meat in the freezer.
Thank you Guy's,

help.

Thank You Very Much,

jr1968

Great choices. If you are going to shoot factory ammo, I would go with the 243 for availability and variety.
Posted By: kawi Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/30/13
The one that puts you about one sisty closer..
Plus 1,ammo availability is a plus ,you want something that will run a deer from end to end if by chance you have a. Bad shot for whatever reason 308,30-06,270, will all work well and you won't have any regrets
.300 Savage
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
.300 Savage

I like this one or .30-30. Obviously the Savage round would reach further, but I've found the .30-30 to be quite adequate at 150 yards.
Posted By: LBP Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/30/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
.223 Rem

+1 or a 22-250 either is plenty.
Posted By: LBP Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 11/30/13
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by teal

uzi nine millimeter ...

.45 long slide with laser sighting

or even

12 gauge autoloader... grin
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
.300 Savage

Where's he gonna find ammo?

Not prejudiced, just reality.
+1. The 300 S. Is about perfect ballistically, and I love my M99. But if you're not a Handloader, ammo is hard to find, and expensive when you find it.
Originally Posted by JustLucky

Yep - True, Just about any rifle!

And if you don't reload - Don't stray too far from a 30/30, 308, 270 or 30-06.
Originally Posted by southtexas
+1. The 300 S. Is about perfect ballistically, and I love my M99. But if you're not a Handloader, ammo is hard to find, and expensive when you find it.

Like most things, I'm sure it's regional. If he can find the ammo, go for it.

FWIW, I was shocked to find 150, 165, and 180 grain CoreLokt ammo on the shelf at our Bass Pro Shop, in this shotgun-only deer hunting state. Moreover, it was all under $25/box. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to what shows up on the shelves there, or how it's priced.

But barring such good luck, the OP could go the boring route, and use a .308 Win. Sure, he'd be sacrificing cachet and �lan, but the deer would die. In fact, the .308 will even get them metrically dead. Here's one that died at 150m:

[Linked Image]

Federal factory stuff with 150 TSX's at a claimed 2840 fps from the muzzle. No drama.

FC
"sacrificing cache and �lan..."

Man, I hate it when that happens! grin
I really like the .300 Savage here but since it's discontinued I'd have to recommend the .308 Win.
Thank you Guy's,

help.

Thank You Very Much,

jr1968

Between the two I'd take the .25-06 if I could get one with a 24" tube. Either will work just fine.
The best 150 yard deer cartridge?

The 30/06..............of course! grin
Posted By: Brad Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 12/01/13

jr1968

For me, at that range and weight, hand's down I'd run a 250 Savage with 110-120 grainers.

But there is no "best" just what you like...
Posted By: PJH Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 12/01/13
Given a range of 150 yds, the 30-30 Win. is my choice. It's not what the tv hunting shows use, but is more than capable for the task presented. I will be carrying one on Monday for the opener here in PA.

jr1968

.30-30 with a low magnification scope.
Keep it cheap and simple.... .308 win.... 150 gr. Core-Lokt... They just work. No questions asked. Every single time.
Standing or running Deer.

I just couldn't resist. grin
Originally Posted by battue
Standing or running Deer.

I just couldn't resist. grin

If running does the chambering really matter since it will be a miss anyway smile
You might consider the 7.62x39mm. You can practice a lot with the cheaper ammo and use the better stuff from Win, Rem, Fed and PRVI for deer.

Here's a nice little platform: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

Good luck and be safe.

JS

this will work all day long 35 rem with a 200gr rcbs cast bullit
[Linked Image]
and a 25/35 model 94 never had a problem
[Linked Image]
an a old stand by winchester 54 in 30/06
[Linked Image]
love old school!!
Posted By: DMc Re: Best 150 yrd. deer cartridge? - 12/02/13
Old School

[Linked Image]