Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Bloodied the new .358 today - 12/07/13

Off the hind legs. Jumped the deer out of a thicket. And missed when the deer zigged and I zagged. Settled down on the second shot and at about 75 yds. It was DRT. Not perfect shot placement, as the bullet hit a bit far back, but not a lot of meat damage and as I said earlier, Bang-flop

][Linked Image]
WAY TO GO G-12! smile
Thanks Ken, i was thinking of you today. Hope you were able to make your trip. And I hope you got some more good news
Nice job gitem!

I figured you were talking deers or something similar, but looked on the wild hope someone had tried the knockout game on you. Probably better this way.
Yes,we made it G-12. smile
Looks like a fat one, nice!
No smokepole. That .358 hit it so hard it knocked the spots clean off of it. I have been under never ending ball busting for shootin a runt
Runts taste good!

Nice shootin'!
Runts are also easier to get to the truck.
Gitem-12,
I guess you used a 358 Winchester.
Can you tell me the type of bullet?
Always love the bang-flop
Nice job
Posted By: prm Re: Bloodied the new .358 today - 12/07/13
Nice job! Don't feel bad, I shot an even smaller one with my bow earlier this year. It's bad when you can pick it up and carry it to the truck like a suitcase.
Originally Posted by 30mmplumber
Gitem-12,
I guess you used a 358 Winchester.
Can you tell me the type of bullet?

Hornady 200 grain spire point factory loads. I got the rifle and didnt have mich time to olay with loads but these are giving me 1inch groups
1" groups,you're d*** lucky to even hit the deer! laugh
Good for you
Thanks rick.

Ken you would not believe the compliments i got about being such a good shot,...being able to hit a target that small running
Did you tell them that you shot it with one eye closed. whistle
Nope when they were laughin i simply asked how maby tgey killed today

Things got real quiet
laugh That will work! grin
Nice job, my friend. I like the young tasty ones, and am guilty of inviting one just like that into my freezer this fall. Only I used a 6mm...
Posted By: Otis Re: Bloodied the new .358 today - 12/08/13
Great job, I held out all season to shoot Mr. Big buck with my 358 Win. too and ended up knocking the spots off of one also. My first deer with the 358Win. and still have a 3 day modern hunt after Christmas so maybe then. I used a 200 gr. Hornady Interlock hand loaded with 50 grs. BLc2 military brass & BR primers clocked @ 2464 fps. Shoots bug holes too! Loving my 358 Win. Oh 40 yard shot!
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Nice job, my friend. I like the young tasty ones, and am guilty of inviting one just like that into my freezer this fall. Only I used a 6mm...

I've still got three tags to fill and the entire last week of the season off. So i'm hopeful it will see more use and yes them little ones are darned tasty
I read a post somewhere around here in the last few days where someone called them "Vealison" I think it was. LOL
Vealison.

I love it.

Hell yeah Gitem, I have the exact same rifle, EVERYTHING so far has went right down with the 200 gr TSX's, I had concerns of them not opening at a lower velocity of only 2700 fps at extended hunting ranges.

I was wrong, they have performed perfectly on light game [deer/pigs] out to just over 200 yards so far.

Just got in from hunting out in the snow and ice with mine a few minutes ago, the all weathers are GTG for any weather condition, enjoy that rifle, I sure like mine.

Gunner
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I've still got three tags to fill and the entire last week of the season off. So i'm hopeful it will see more use and yes them little ones are darned tasty
Take enough ammo. whistle grin
We are planning a river hunt this week. All during duck season we we kicked deer off of the islands in the river. And after a week and a half of pressure I have a suspicion more than a few deer will hold up on those same islands. So the plan is to motor as far north as we can get, and drift down river watching the banks early in the AM, then start doing little 3 man drives on the islands the rest of the day. Hopefully we can find a few bigger than the one I shot yesterday
Got a dog bigger than that deer.
[Linked Image]

But no open season on the dog.

Oh and good luck on filling your three tags G-12. smile
Bambi Bites!!! my favorite :-)
Thanks Ken. I'm looking forward to tge time off
wink
The Pres. Says dog is a fine meal though....
That'll get it done!
Posted By: mart Re: Bloodied the new .358 today - 12/09/13
Good job. The 35's are great from the 35 Remington to the 358 STA. There isn't a bad one in the bunch. Keep up the good shootin.

Mart
No smokepole. That .358 hit it so hard it knocked the spots clean off of it. I have been under never ending ball busting for shootin a runt

What else can we say, except you like getting you balls busted??? Nice rifle though grin

You better shoot 5 more if you want to fill your freezer laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: Bloodied the new .358 today - 12/09/13
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hell yeah Gitem, I have the exact same rifle, EVERYTHING so far has went right down with the 200 gr TSX's, I had concerns of them not opening at a lower velocity of only 2700 fps at extended hunting ranges.

I was wrong, they have performed perfectly on light game [deer/pigs] out to just over 200 yards so far.

Just got in from hunting out in the snow and ice with mine a few minutes ago, the all weathers are GTG for any weather condition, enjoy that rifle, I sure like mine.

Gunner

We used the 200 gr TTSX launched at 2650 fps from a pre-64 M70 carbine on a couple of handfuls of critters, large and small, last summer in Africa and the bullet performed perfectly.
The Pres. Says dog is a fine meal though....
Since when do you believe the Pres.... whistle
Since Walt said we should
laugh
Originally Posted by EdM

Gunner

We used the 200 gr TTSX launched at 2650 fps from a pre-64 M70 carbine on a couple of handfuls of critters, large and small, last summer in Africa and the bullet performed perfectly.

10-4, Thanks ED, I have two boxes of the 200 gr TTSX's to try as soon as I get about 20 more loaded rounds with the TSX's shot up. wink

Gunner

Off the hind legs. Jumped the deer out of a thicket. And missed when the deer zigged and I zagged. Settled down on the second shot and at about 75 yds. It was DRT. Not perfect shot placement, as the bullet hit a bit far back, but not a lot of meat damage and as I said earlier, Bang-flop

][Linked Image]

Congrats - that one will eat good smile I resolved to shoot a mature doe yesterday morning, but of course only saw fawns and young bucks, so they all walked smirk
Posted By: EdM Re: Bloodied the new .358 today - 12/10/13
Originally Posted by EdM

Gunner

10-4, Thanks ED, I have two boxes of the 200 gr TTSX's to try as soon as I get about 20 more loaded rounds with the TSX's shot up. wink

Gunner

The one and only recovered after passing a diagonal longitudinal path through a hog. This a 200 yard shot. The exit where we cut the slug out is clear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one dropped at just shy of 400 yards and the bullets clearly expanded and he dropped at the shot. grin

[Linked Image]
The young man there done some fine shooting, also good to know the TTSX's opened out to near 400 yards, should I ever be presented a longish shot while toting my 358W I can take it with confidence. smile

Gunner
© 24hourcampfire