Home
Posted By: Bigbuck_12 SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/25/14
We'll after reading SAS's thread on Kimber tinkering. I decided to attempt my first bedding job, and why not start on my most expensive rifle.

Here is the recipe I used:

1) I prepped the stock with my dremel

2) mixed up the acraglass

3) slathered it on like frosting a cake

4) assembled rifle which has been sprayed with Hornady one shot (I didn't have a fancy bedding bolt so I bought a 1/4" fine thread bolt at the hardware store and cut the head off)

5) set in gun vise for 10 hours

6) pull stock from gun

All in all I think the hardest thing was to just get my nerve up to try it. The only thing I feel I did incorrectly was I put to much tape around the barrel in front of the shank which held the barrel further from the stock then I would have preferred ( that was the area that I freelanced from SAS direction). I won't be able to shoot for a while but I figure if the wheels fall off in the accuracy department, I can get the dremel out and try again. Despite some of the hijacks from SAS's thread, it is the reason I frequent this site.

Thanks,

Bigbuck
Good deal Bigbuck! Let us know how it shoots.

This truly is a great site for learning and sharing knowledge.....the classifieds can be hard on the wallet too;)
Posted By: 16bore Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/25/14
Hopefully you still have some of the same lot of ammo you shot previously. Always nice to see the fruits of your labor.
Here are a couple pics:

action sprayed and stock dremeled out

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pics of the finished assembly
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I guess I'll see how successful I was when I get out to shoot. 16Bore, I have lots of ammo left from last fall to compare with.

Posted By: turkish Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/25/14
No flies on that. That thread has me wanting to try my hand, too.

Comparing these jobs to the M77 sticky --- why no bedding of the tang for the Montanas?
Posted By: eric123 Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/25/14
Ordered up a bedding kit,going out to buy myself a Dremel and give it a go on my Kimber.
The mag box on my is tight, and the barrel channel is also tight,so all the little tricks SAS suggested are going to get done.
Looking forward to your range report

Eric
Posted By: turkish Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/25/14
Eric, what caliber, and how well does she shoot now?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/25/14
Originally Posted by turkish
No flies on that...

+1 ...
Posted By: eric123 Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/26/14
Originally Posted by turkish
Eric, what caliber, and how well does she shoot now?

7-08 AI 1.5 to 2 in, at 100 yds, but 3/4 of that may be me laugh
I would have to get at my notes to see how many grns of reloader 15 i have been using,but if memory serves me right any load over 46 grns was starting to cause some stiff bolt lift
If some different powders were to show up on the shelves around my neck of the woods a feller could try something different.
But I want to try what SAS is doing first, should help.

Eric
And the "moral of the story" is:

Buy a Tikka!
Posted By: Holston Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/26/14
Originally Posted by Bigbuck_12
We'll after reading SAS's thread on Kimber tinkering. I decided to attempt my first bedding job, and why not start on my most expensive rifle.

I'm in the same boat...
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Buy a Tikka!

Already have one and while it's a nice rifle that I like, I just love the feel of my Montana. I have had three kimbers and they have all shot moa with a load they liked. I'm hoping to make it shoot more combinations of bullets and see if I can't get rid of 2 bullets touching and then one that opens it up. I'll report back after getting out to shoot. Not only has it been cold but the wind has been brutal!
Posted By: lastround Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/27/14

Buy a Tikka!

Seems like I have heard this story before. I have heard a lot of stories about Tikka's and I am sure they are nice shooting guns. But, I have never owned one and never will. With this country in the financial condition it is in, I will continue to buy guns made in America by American gun companies, even if I do have to tinker with them a bit. Just me......... And I am sure a lot on here disagree with those thoughts, and I don't condemn you for it, but that's how I feel about it.
Posted By: prm Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/27/14
Nice job! Sure it won't hurt anything.

As for the Tikkas, I think they feel way too fat. Don't like the feel at all. My Kimber feels perfect to me, points like it's connected to me and shoots very well too. I'll keep it thanks.
My Kimber feels perfect to me, points like it's connected to me and shoots very well too.

Nothing feels like a Montana 84M (maybe a 20B will?).

For a low-cost rifle I'd wait about a month for the Ruger American in stainless. Tikka-like . . . American made . . . and for a lot less money. The .223 and 243 twists are a big plus too.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 01/27/14
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
the classifieds can be hard on the wallet too;)

that is the dang truth ...
I finally made it out to shoot this last weekend and I think I'll call my first bedding job a success. Winds were around 10 mph so I think I shot pretty well for the conditions. I also hadn't shot since October, other than a couple of rounds hunting, so I think I did alright.

[Linked Image]

I shot three groups that were very similar to this one, right around 3/4 inch. I seem to have gotten rid of the group wrecking fliers that I was getting last summer and fall. Now I will have to experiment a little more with load development as I'm almost out of re15 and have lots of varget. This load was a 120 nosler bt and 44 grains of RE 15.

Very nice! I'm sure you will be happy with your Montana now grin
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
Nothing wrong with that group!
Originally Posted by lastround

Buy a Tikka!

Seems like I have heard this story before. I have heard a lot of stories about Tikka's and I am sure they are nice shooting guns. But, I have never owned one and never will. With this country in the financial condition it is in, I will continue to buy guns made in America by American gun companies, even if I do have to tinker with them a bit. Just me......... And I am sure a lot on here disagree with those thoughts, and I don't condemn you for it, but that's how I feel about it.

Those yankee bastids in Yonkers NY need to standing in line for govmint cheese. I drive toyotas and hondas as well, because they have yet to screw me.
Posted By: smokepole Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
Some people are in fact better off buying a Tikka.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Some people are in fact better off buying a Tikka.

Yep. You can spot them cause their usually driving a Toyota or a Honda wink
Hey , I drive Toyotas and I have owned 8 Tikkas, but IMHO there's no comparison holding a tikka and holding a Kimber Montana. And structurally speaking it's not really a fair comparison. Of course everyone's needs and desires are different! And both specimens need to shoot!
Posted By: lastround Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
Just for information purposes, Toyotas are made in Princeton, Indiana and in Georgetown, Ky. by American workers. Not sure about Hondas, but then we are talking about guns here. ( I drive a Ford, by the way )
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Hey , I drive Toyotas and I have owned 8 Tikkas, but IMHO there's no comparison holding a tikka and holding a Kimber Montana. And structurally speaking it's not really a fair comparison. Of course everyone's needs and desires are different! And both specimens need to shoot!

You are so right about feel of the Kimber Montana vs. the Tikka

I suspect you'd like driving my Challenger R/T too wink
Tundras and Tacomas are made right here in San Antonio, they quit making trucks in Indiana a while back.
Posted By: lastround Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
If that is the case, then I stand corrected. That is still in America isn't it? (Grin)
Yup!
but IMHO there's no comparison holding a tikka and holding a Kimber Montana. And structurally speaking it's not really a fair comparison.

True, the Tikka feeds so much better and is about five times as smooth. Stocks can be replaced.
How about a pic of your Tikka?

I want to see how you dealt with the bottom plastic sick
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
How about a pic of your Tikka?

I want to see how you dealt with the bottom plastic sick

I sold it.
Posted By: Boxer Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
SquatToPee,

Hang a picture of yourself,with anything...if only to obliviously connect ALL the [bleep] dots and really knock schit outta Da Park. Crossed-eyes are always at least good for some pity,so you'll get sumptin' outta it. Laffin'!

Looking forward to those Excuses and the Whine,though in no particular order.

Laffin'!
Stink, I can tell by the slope of your forehead that your momma and daddy were first cousins. Your little sawed-off azz crawled up inbred hill and you're still tryin to stand up.
Posted By: Boxer Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
SquatToPee,

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you please/must.

You are a [bleep] RIOT...always trying to be in the "thick",dropping names and attempting to feign a [bleep] clue,but it just ain't ever in the cards for you. I wonder why that constant,is?!? Bless your heart.

Hilariouser than schit,that the ONE and ONLY thing you've actually "done"...whooped your dumb ass and pointy head in one fell swoop. Perhaps if you Whine enough and make the requisite number of Excuses,your Imagination will kick in and you can Pretend it didn't happen?!? Laffin'!

I mean these Kimbers are VERY "tricky" mechanisms,unlike ALL other rifles and it weren't a "fair" fight for someone who "knows" and "does" as "much" as you. Laffin'!

Ring the bell on the Double Dog Dare and put it ALL into hilarious perspective,by posting a pic of your plight and rest assured,the WELL founded pity will follow. Laffin'!

Just where do you incredibly stupid dumbfhukks come from?!?

Wow +P+.

Posted By: CLB Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
Stick, maybe if you toss TAK a softball regarding Steyr rifles particularly in .308 he might be able to swing at that one.
Tundras and Tacomas are made right here in San Antonio, they quit making trucks in Indiana a while back.

No wonder they're having problems now... grin

Originally Posted by Kimber7man

No wonder they're having problems now... grin

Actually they started having problems when they started making em here vs Japan back in 94, and that's coming from a long time Toyota owner with three of them parked in my driveway.
Posted By: mathman Re: SAS's Kimber inspiration - 02/04/14
My mother had a Cressida which was still being built in Japan after some other models came to the USA. Toyota wanted tight control of the construction of their flagship car at the time. That inline six ran smooooth.
Yep.

Had an 88 Taco Xtra Cab 4x4 with 4 cyl engine. Traded it for a Jeep Wrangler. One of the worst auto deals I have ever done. But my wife liked it....
© 24hourcampfire