Home
I need to have a couple of stainless 700 rifles re-tubed. These particular rifles have had no work done other than trigger work and a pillar bedded Brown Precision stock added.

It am considering letting Pac Nor do the full monty for the rest of the work.

This would include action truing, barrel purchase, chambering, bolt fluting and hopefully beadblasting the barreled action to the same finish.

What has your experience with them been like? To what extent do they true and lap an action? Were you satisfied with accuracy and quality of work? What kind of turn around time might I expect?

I sounds like a great price for the work since chambering and truing are both done for $300.0 +/-.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

twofish
Only had them do a barrel change.
Fast turn around,something like three weeks. Think I caught them in a slack period.
The lady that answers the phone was a pleasure too deal with.
That's all I got.
[Linked Image]
I have two actions there right now. I went with them as they have been highly recommended by several shooters whose opinion I value.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
[Linked Image]

Please elaborate.....?
It doesn't matter what brand of anything it is, d223 will always get a crappy one. grin
This one, my 223AI, started life a 700 SPS. Sent it off to PN for an 8-twist, fluted Lilja #7 @ 22". They squared the face and lapped the lugs on the action.

Pic of the muzzle/crown.

[Linked Image]

Timing of flutes

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the barrel flutes & bead blast finish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What it is capable of

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Nail
This one, my 223AI, started life a 700 SPS. Sent it off to PN for an 8-twist, fluted Lilja #7 @ 22". They squared the face and lapped the lugs on the action.

Pic of the muzzle/crown.

[Linked Image]

Timing of flutes

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the barrel flutes & bead blast finish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What it is capable of

[Linked Image]

Nail,

That looks great! I did not realize that they would allow you to utilize another makers barrel. Did you get the Lilja through Pac Nor?

As stated the finish quality looks really nice to me.

Congrats!

Keep em' coming.

twofish
Contour
Have 8 or 9 PN's. Never had one that wouldn't shoot. As one of the other posters stated- great to deal with.
They have done two for me that are both superb shooters. I would not hesitate to use them again.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Contour

Yep,. Lilja contour, PN tube.
Contour

If you are asking me which contour. I would intend to use their #3 contour for a 30/338 and perhaps a #2 for a 7/08.

I have a new Bartlien 30 cal #3 contour in my shop now. That is why I was intrigued by the mention of Pac Nor installing the Lilja on the rifle above.

twofish

ETA: Nevermind...I see from post above what the Lilja reference was.
Originally Posted by twofish
Contour

If you are asking me which contour. I would intend to use their #3 contour for a 30/338 and perhaps a #2 for a 7/08.

I have a new Bartlien 30 cal #3 contour in my shop now. That is why I was intrigued by the mention of Pac Nor installing the Lilja on the rifle above.

twofish

Just so this doesn't any more confusing. It is a PN tube with a Lilia #7 contour.

Sorry for any confusion.
Originally Posted by Nail
Originally Posted by twofish
Contour

twofish

Just so this doesn't any more confusing. It is a PN tube with a Lilia #7 contour.

Sorry for any confusion.

Got it, thanks.

You have a great looking and obviously great shooting rig Nail!

C'mon guys, tell me more.

twofish
I wasn't confused.............grin
I used a Pac Nor on a custom Model 70 in 257WBY about 10 years ago. Shot awsome and so far that rifle is now on its third happy 24hrcf owner. All have been happy with the rifle from what I have heard and I have tried to get that rifle back. When I obtained an FN Sporter in 257WBY with a well worn barrel, I gave up a Gen lll Glock 20 and a new Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag shotgun to my local gunsmith to install a - you guessed it - PacNor 257WBY barrel. Since having bought my first Pac Nor, I had opportunity to buy and use a Lilja 3 groove and a famous maker cut (will remain nameless, lots of folks love his tubes) rifled barrel. I could have specified almost any barrel on this rifle, and am going back to PacNor FWIW. To be fair and up front, the number of custom barrels I have purchased over my lifetime is only a dozen or so and there are several members whose experience far exceeds mine, but since you asked, I am telling you what I have experienced and what I am doing with this new to me (and probably last ever re barrel in my life) project.
I've a single Pac-nor tube on my 1-8" .22-250 Ackley. Ii is a 700 MR contour dupe. It shoots very, very well.
I have had two rifles rebarreled by them. They squared the face of the actions but that was it, no lapping of the lugs, etc.

The rifles did shoot pretty darn good, but I sold both of them.
Great thread here. Thanks for starting it.
Pac-Nor did my 264 and a 340 Roy for me a couple years ago. I thought they did a superb job on the flutes and the brake on the 340 which actually belonged to a buddy. I was just doing the tuning and fitted the larger contour barrel into the stock.

My 264 and his 340 both shoot very well. And they are not picky for loads.

We set both of ours up with bead blasted barrels on blued actions to save the cost of blueing a barrel.

My Ruger 77 in 260 is on a short list to get a PAc-Nor tube very soon.
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like they a good bet. Glad to hear all the positive feedback.

If anyone else out there has anything to add to this I would love to hear it.

twofish
I really lost count of the Pac-Nor barrels I have. I use them because they offer both Savage prefits and Remington 700 barrels with a Savage type nut.

I did have one Remington 40X action rebarreled by them, including having a Holland recoil lug installed. However, Pac-Nor doesn't drill the action for the recoil lug locator pin. So what I do now is send any new bare Remington action off to Greg Tannel and have the bolt double sleeved, firing pin bushed and pin ground to fit, the lugs matched, and a double pin recoil lug installed. I do not have the action face trued or the barrel threads single-pointed as I want to retain the factory dimensions for swap barrels. The new production bare Remington actions are close enough that they don't really need truing. Then I order up a Pac-Nor barrel with the Rem-Nut in whatever length, chambering, contour, twist, rifling style and groove count, finish and muzzle brake I want.

In fact, later today a new 24" Polygonal Rifled, 1:10" twist, Pac-Nor Remington 700, Varmint Contour barrel with Rem-Nut, Vais muzzle brake, chambered in .308 Winchester, is scheduled for UPS delivery. Pac-Nor has become busy, I was quoted 8 to 10 weeks last August, but that stretched out to almost 7 months. No big deal all the custom makers are swamped, Hart and Shilen have taken as long or longer, and I am also waiting for a new Brux barrel for a Savage that will take as long. These are all prefit barrels that I install.

Don't worry about accuracy. Here's a 10 shot group from one of the Pac-Nor barrels. This was a 1:9" twist, polygonal rifled Savage contour barrel, that I installed on a Savage Precision Target Action. Conditions were just right, no wind at all, fog just above the firing line, no morons with a .338 Lapua sitting near me, and I didn't hiccup.

[Linked Image]

P.S. The new Remington 783 has an action that mimics the Savage Target Action, uses a barrel nut that fits the Savage wrench, and can have barrels interchanged the same way. The 783 also uses a floating bolt head, now if they will swap out between standard and magnum . . . hummm!?
Originally Posted by mathman
It doesn't matter what brand of anything it is, d223 will always get a crappy one. grin
True dat! IIRC even his pet rock died... wink
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
I really lost count of the Pac-Nor barrels I have. I use them because they offer both Savage prefits and Remington 700 barrels with a Savage type nut.

I did have one Remington 40X action rebarreled by them, including having a Holland recoil lug installed. However, Pac-Nor doesn't drill the action for the recoil lug locator pin. So what I do now is send any new bare Remington action off to Greg Tannel and have the bolt double sleeved, firing pin bushed and pin ground to fit, the lugs matched, and a double pin recoil lug installed. I do not have the action face trued or the barrel threads single-pointed as I want to retain the factory dimensions for swap barrels. The new production bare Remington actions are close enough that they don't really need truing. Then I order up a Pac-Nor barrel with the Rem-Nut in whatever length, chambering, contour, twist, rifling style and groove count, finish and muzzle brake I want.

In fact, later today a new 24" Polygonal Rifled, 1:10" twist, Pac-Nor Remington 700, Varmint Contour barrel with Rem-Nut, Vais muzzle brake, chambered in .308 Winchester, is scheduled for UPS delivery. Pac-Nor has become busy, I was quoted 8 to 10 weeks last August, but that stretched out to almost 7 months. No big deal all the custom makers are swamped, Hart and Shilen have taken as long or longer, and I am also waiting for a new Brux barrel for a Savage that will take as long. These are all prefit barrels that I install.

Don't worry about accuracy. Here's a 10 shot group from one of the Pac-Nor barrels. This was a 1:9" twist, polygonal rifled Savage contour barrel, that I installed on a Savage Precision Target Action. Conditions were just right, no wind at all, fog just above the firing line, no morons with a .338 Lapua sitting near me, and I didn't hiccup.

[Linked Image]

P.S. The new Remington 783 has an action that mimics the Savage Target Action, uses a barrel nut that fits the Savage wrench, and can have barrels interchanged the same way. The 783 also uses a floating bolt head, now if they will swap out between standard and magnum . . . hummm!?

That is great news to hear short of the current backlog of work but I will say that I am not surprised.

Thanks again for your replies..

twofish
I've been using them for the last 15 years or so.....

Mainly Savage heavy varmint prefits...

Never had one not shoot extremely well....

Seems they are very busy....12-14 weeks for a prefit
If you send them an action to be trued and barrel fitted, will they do any specific work for setting throat length for a specific bullet?
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
If you send them an action to be trued and barrel fitted, will they do any specific work for setting throat length for a specific bullet?

I sent them a dummy round with mine and they put it to good use.
I had a 378 Bee built using an SS Super match Pacnor. 1.5" at 300 yards with the Barnes XLC 270 grain at 3150 fps.
I sent a dummy for the .280 AI I had them do and they throated to my spec without issue. It shoots superbly with everything I've tried.
Twofish, I'll send you a PM. Don't want to get sued.
I have a Pac Nor barrel on my Nosler 30-06 and love it. I can get .557 groups at 100 yards with cheap Remington Core Loks and even better with premium or hand loads.
Thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate all of the input. Nothing like firsthand knowledge of a company and it's services.

twofish
3 shots in the hole on the right during break in..
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gunnut308
3 shots in the hole on the right during break in..
[Linked Image]

Wow...impressive! One of the guns I am planning the build for is indeed a 7-08.

Which contour did you use and what length? Also, is that a Brown Precision stock. Looks familiar.

I believe you could even kill one from the Gar Hole with that rig!

twofish
gunnut308, If My 257WBY tube shoots ONE HALF that well, I will be tickled pink! Good barrel or not, that is some good shooting there. I have to have lots of X's in my glass and lots of heavy sandbags to shoot a decent group these days.
Remmy Mountain rifle contour cut to 21". Shoots 140 BT's and Partitions to the same POI at 200 yards. The stock is a TI take-off.
PacNor did all the barrel and bolt work and they were right on their delivery time. I'm very pleased.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Remmy Mountain rifle contour cut to 21". Shoots 140 BT's and Partitions to the same POI at 200 yards. The stock is a TI take-off.
PacNor did all the barrel and bolt work and they were right on their delivery time. I'm very pleased.

Nice!
Maybe I am unlucky. I had them do two barrel jobs for me, a 338-06AI post 64 Win 70 that was a 1.5MOA '06 and shot 1.25 with the new barrel and action work. Figuring it was the action I had a Rem 700 donor rebarreled to 280AI and it was almost MOA.
Originally Posted by handsup
Maybe I am unlucky. I had them do two barrel jobs for me, a 338-06AI post 64 Win 70 that was a 1.5MOA '06 and shot 1.25 with the new barrel and action work. Figuring it was the action I had a Rem 700 donor rebarreled to 280AI and it was almost MOA.

Did you discuss this with the folks at PacNor? One of the things that they have a reputation for is follow up, service and backing up thier work and products. They might want to see, handle and shoot your rifle a bit, but if the barrel is not a really accurate tube, I would be surprised if they did not re tube it (or them) for you under warranty.
I've sent them two actions and had my rifle maker do a 3rd.
One action is a 660 Remington with a very long 24 inch Mtn Rifle Contour barrel with a .550 muzzle diameter. Groups run .7-.8 at 100 yds. and 2.5 inches at 300 yds. While these are 3 shot groups, it's done it many times. One load, with the Hornady 75 gr. V-Max ran under .5 consistantly. This is a .25-284.
The No.1 contour barrel on my tang safety Ruger in .280 has done lots of groups around .5-.6 for three using Sierras 100 gr. HP and 120 gr. PH bullets.
The '06 on a 98 Mauser action runs .5 MOA for three several times and did one 7 rd. group at .6 once with 155 gr. Scenars.
That's not all. The barrels run a long time w/o cleaning out any copper, and, if cleaned and oiled, the first round is never more than an inch out.
You might say I'm really happy with them. E
I have never had them do any work, but I have used plenty of their barrels though.

They have all shot very well with no complaints.
My shooting buddy had a 1.25" diameter barrel fitted to a Howa action, in .221 Fireball. It shot bugholes from day one, and never varied with any load, any bullet under 50 grains. In fact, my buddy got bored with it and sold it for something else! You had to work at it to shoot groups OVER .3", and that was with a Howa factory trigger. We stocked it in a Boyd's Varminter stock, and it was one fine piece of machinery. With all that barrel, you could surely watch every bullet impact on prairie dogs, too.
I told him he'd regret that trade, and he now mourns its loss.
Very happy with the barrels and service I've received from Pac-Nor.
6mmBR, 30BR.
Good afternoon twofish,

I have one Pacnor barrel on a 338wm I built a few years ago. It is a SS, super match grade, #4 weight, sporter contour, cut at 26". I just bought the barrel from them and had the fitting done up here due to cross border issues but the rifle certainly shoots well.

The picture below is pretty typical of what it does at 100 yards and that slowly spreads out as I go out further. I could show you 20 or 30 more very similar to this.

[Linked Image]

I shoot this rig regularly out to 500 yards and it generally hits what I point it at to that distance. Too much snow this winter to go further out.

Based on my experience I would certainly work with Pacnor again.

You guys rigs are impressive. Targets very impressive as well.

All good things to hear.

Thanks,

twofish
Crappy pic but this is a typical 3 shot group at 100yds with the 162 Amax in my pacnor .280ai. IIRC there was about 10mph cross wind. I wasn't shooting for groups just fouling the barrel prior to deer season.

The lone shot is the fouler from clean barrel, the hole to the left is 3rds fired fairly quickly. 1"dot pictured

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire