Home
Posted By: Dan700mn Herters j9 - 03/17/14
Saw a herters j9 in 300 wm. Looked like a good rifle. Any one have experience with the j9?
Likes and dislikes ?
Posted By: savage62 Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
Yes Its a Mauser action Belive sako made the gun
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
I thought they were BSA actions. Might be wrong. I'm no expert. I tried to order one for about two years back in 69 or so. They would never deliver. Same with that Powermag hand gun they advertised
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
What is a fair price. 80% condition
Posted By: lotech Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
I had a couple of Herter's bolt-action rifles years ago that were made on BSA actions. They also used a Mauser-type action in another model. I think one was a U9, the other a J9?
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
The J9 was a Yugo 98 Mauser with a Douglas barrel and Herters stock.

The U9 was a BSA Monarch action with a Douglas barrel and Herters stock.

Both tended to be accurate. Stocks varied from plain jane with garish lightning bolt spacers to very, very nice figured walnut,

Values generally between 300 and 600 dollars.

I have three U9s and they are all shooters, very accurate.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
They were made on several brands of actions, BSA and Interarms (Zastava) actions

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10503...n-rifle/herters-j9-300-winchester-magnum

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2737615
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
A bit of confusion on the one on "GunAuction" I have owned three Herters "U-9"s All were on BSA actions. All were marked: "U-9"!

I have owned only one "J-9". It was on a Santa Barbara Mauser action. Upon removing the bbld action from the stock I noted the left side of the tang was clearly stamped: "Made in Spain" . I didn't keep it for that reason...

GH
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
Kind of makes one feel old remembering that far back
Posted By: Bandukwallah Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
I had a Herter's J9 in 6mm Rem. I bought the barreled action and stocked it myself, using a Herter's semi-inletted blank. It was a fair shooter, but had ejection problems. That is to say, it would extract the case, but would not eject it. Another problem was the safety, which became inoperable when the trigger pull was lightened.

The action was made by Zastava in Yugoslavia.

FWIW, Frank DeHaas commented on the J9 in "Bolt Action Rifles" revised edition, pg 185: "It is the poorest commercial centerfire bolt action I have seen. Perhaps not all J9 actions are so poorly made as the one I got, but in making my evaluation of this one, I cannot recommend the J9 action."
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Herters j9 - 03/17/14
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Kind of makes one feel old remembering that far back

Shoot! I can feel old without that much help... blush

Ironically, I never bought anything from Herters... They went under just about the time I started reloading (1973) My purchases back then were pretty sparse. Young, newly married, and a new baby... Didn't leave me much money for gun expendatures. smile

The U9's that I owned were in the '80's... The J9 was later...

U9's were a .222 Rem Mag, a .284 Win, and an '06...

GH
© 24hourcampfire