Home
Posted By: local_favorite H&K 770 - 04/05/14
Anyone have and or use one for hunting? What do you think of it? Prices seem a little on the silly side as are most things H&K, just wondering if they're worth it.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
I've owned 4 or 5 HK 630s over the years. I think you have to ask yourself "What am I gonna use it for?" The 770 shoots the .308 cartridge, so its not a coyote rifle. For deer, its big and heavy. The ergonomics aren't great. What I found appealing about the action is that its the roller-locked, delayed blow-back. Its a mechanical marvel and I like German engineered industrial products. But, the combustion gasses get blown right back into the action and so it gets dirty quickly. They are accurate rifles. I think an SL7 or SL6 would be neat to have, just to have one.

My .o2 worth.
Posted By: local_favorite Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
I've only ever held one H&K hunting rifle (and did not fire it) but I think you've summed up my feelings for it pretty well. I can't really tell you what I would use it for because I've already got a good rifle for any purpose it may serve, but it is sort of a mechanical wonder/oddity so I guess my interest in it them is just because they're neat.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
Dude, get one of the new G2 DPMS 7.25 pound .308 carbines and a 10 round Pmag. I have an 18 inch barreled Smith MP10. With a good scope in a good mount these guns are accurate, reliable, and probably not much heavier than the HK.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
Is the 770 the one with the fluted chamber?
Posted By: local_favorite Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
The 630 does and I think the 770 does as well. Which as I understand it aids ejection but ruins brass. Not to mention they apparently sling that ruined brass like 20ft so good luck finding it anyway.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
Originally Posted by local_favorite
The 630 does and I think the 770 does as well. Which as I understand it aids ejection but ruins brass. Not to mention they apparently sling that ruined brass like 20ft so good luck finding it anyway.

The brass issue would definitely dissuade me from the 770 because I reload.
Posted By: roninflag Re: H&K 770 - 04/05/14
I have experience with the 630; awesome. it does throw the brass about 50-55 yards. murder on coyotes though. love to have one in 30-06!
Posted By: spence1875 Re: H&K 770 - 04/06/14
As stated the ergonomics are bad, I had a 770 and a sl6 in the past. Accurate, but a pain to take apart. Also no spare parts anymore, even in Germany at HK.
Posted By: safariman Re: H&K 770 - 04/07/14
I have its milsurp cousin in a CETME with HK furniture and magazines. Fun rifle to goof off with, and it is in my safe as an "ultimate rainy day" insurance policy firearm, along with a pile of already loaded magazines.

The grooved brass CAN be reloaded, but use a press with a long power stroke and lots of camming leverage plus lots of good lube. The cases will still look odd after being re sized, but they can be reloaded at least once. IF you can find them in the first place!

For the money, if you just want a roller delayed blowback German semi auto system, I would just get a surplus CETME and rock on. CDNN has them for about $975, and they sell a claw typs scope mount for them as well. With mine, the factory peep sights are close enough to 'ON' to work for what I want it to do or expect from it. And RUGGED, to boot.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: H&K 770 - 04/09/14
Originally Posted by local_favorite

I don't think it ruins the brass, but it throws it a helluva long way.
© 24hourcampfire