Home
Looking for a carry/sporter .223 and weighing out all the options. This will be a coyote, varmint, and whatever I come across type of gun. Don't want anything tactical or too heavy. Want it to balance nice.
Been considering a Mini Mauser or possibly a Cz 527. I know little about these other than some quick Google searches. Opinions please.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Looking for a 223 bolt gun... - 04/11/14
I've got the 527 and the wife has a Mini Mauser, they're both good rifles and coincidentally shoot the exact same handload extremely well.

Someone will be along shortly to gripe about the backwards safety and tall rings on the CZ, but neither have bothered me one bit. Never have got the gritty feel out of the Mauser action.

If I were buying a 223 today, it'd be another CZ.
I asked a similar question of the forum a while back and I was not the first to do so. My needs were the same as yours with back door/truck gun duty thrown is as well. I figured the way to go was a Remington 700 build and received some good input on that topic but that project has been throttled back due to another bit of advice. That was the merits of the Kimber Montana .223. I gave that some thought and a gun shop in Lexington just so happened to have one in stock. I called it mine and couldn't be happier with that selection.
Yeah...the Tikka, Montana and now Ruger American fit the bill as well but I wanted to educate myself a little with guys that have first hand experience with the Mini Mauser and Cz.
I understand and should have given your post a better read. Good luck with your quest.
I wouldn't overlook a regular ol' Rem 700 SPS sporter.
Posted By: SSB Re: Looking for a 223 bolt gun... - 04/11/14
I've got a CZ, one of the '90's Lux models and we really think alot of it around here. Handles like a wand and very accurate with 55gr TSX. A pard has a Mini Mauser, just as accurate, just as handy. Another pard aquired a CZ synthetic model. That one has utility written all over it. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Enjoy!

Best,
Scott
I picked up an XS7 for Christmas, & it's worked well. I've no doubt a Montana would handle and point better, but the Marlin has been a heck of a shooter for the price.

I'd be glad to let you check it out - we need to do lunch again, anyway. wink

FC
DH, My shooting buddy got an SPS last fall and it really shoots. He put on a new trigger and it's ugly as hell but it shoots really well.-Muddy
It ain't for everybody, but I'm pleased with my 223 Ruger American. I have nicer rifles and wanted an inexpensive beater in 223 for the same purposes you are indicating. I went with the compact with 18" barrel and shorter stock. Offhand the balance is not great, but it shoots MOA out to 300 yards off the bench. Not bad at all for a $360 rifle. If you're looking for something that looks nice the CZ's are an option. But I doubt they shoot any better.

If I could do it over again I think I'd have gone with the full size rifle and possibly cut her down to about 20" instead of the 18" on the compact.

FWIW I liked the 223 enough that I went back for a full size version in 308. I've not shot it yet, but I can already tell I like the feel and balance much better. I'll consider cutting the barrel down on this one after shooting and putting a few rounds over my chronograph.
I love my CZ 527 American. It handles like a rimfire and shoots like a varmint gun. For extended shooting, like at a prairie dog town, the barrel heats up. The backwards safety doesn't bother me for my uses, but the extended mag can get in the way when carrying it.
I wouldn't mind having a Cooper 51�

John
Ruger American 223. I like mine, and it shoots. Here's four rounds, from the magazine, at 100 yards. 50gr Nosler BT over Ramshot TAC.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Ruger American 223. I like mine, and it shoots. Here's four rounds, from the magazine, at 100 yards. 50gr Nosler BT over Ramshot TAC.

[Linked Image]

Yeah...I've been wanting one more and more. If they would only hurry up and come out in SS
Rustoleum. grin
Rustoleum. grin

Lol!!!
My only fear with the SS is that they will get their barrels from a different supplier or change something in the process and they may not have the same outstanding accuracy that they currently are producing.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Rustoleum. grin

Lol!!!
My only fear with the SS is that they will get their barrels from a different supplier or change something in the process and they may not have the same outstanding accuracy that they currently are producing.

Hah. That very thing has crossed my mind as I contemplate waiting on the SS.
Originally Posted by CFVA
I've got the 527 and the wife has a Mini Mauser, they're both good rifles and coincidentally shoot the exact same handload extremely well.

Someone will be along shortly to gripe about the backwards safety and tall rings on the CZ, but neither have bothered me one bit. Never have got the gritty feel out of the Mauser action.

If I were buying a 223 today, it'd be another CZ.

CFVA. I really like my CZ too. When I bought it, the seller told me "it thinks it's a .223" if that counts wink....:

[Linked Image]

I'd try a CZ in a true varminter if this American is any indication of how those shoot...
Posted By: dhg Re: Looking for a 223 bolt gun... - 04/12/14
There is no comparison between the CZ and the mini-mauser. The 527 is just one of the very best hunting rifles on the market. Beautiful, dainty little action. Make sure you get a newer ones which have the redesigned bolt handle that avoids the old issue with your ocular bell.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Looking for a 223 bolt gun... - 04/14/14
Originally Posted by dhg
There is no comparison between the CZ and the mini-mauser. The 527 is just one of the very best hunting rifles on the market. Beautiful, dainty little action. Make sure you get a newer ones which have the redesigned bolt handle that avoids the old issue with your ocular bell.

When did they change the bolt knob profile? Mine's about 4 or 5 years old, the discontinued camo version, and has it's pretty close to the ocular lense.

The set trigger is worthy of mention, too. That thing will spoil you.
Maybe the odd man out. I still like & enjoy my Mossberg MPV!
Cheers
Posted By: Ella Re: Looking for a 223 bolt gun... - 04/14/14
"Someone will be along shortly to gripe about the backwards safety and tall rings on the CZ, but neither have bothered me one bit. Never have got the gritty feel out of the Mauser action."

I think that sums it up. I've handled lefty versions of both. Both are really pleasant rifles to hunt with. The CZ is more refined.

I kept the mini-mauser, as I didn't like a safety that worked the opposite of everything else.

Ella
A gritty-schitty CZ 223 twisted 1-12",is a huge bet to lose and an easy Goat [bleep] to pass upon...from any/all angles.

Pass the Montucky 223 and hold the fluff.

Hint.
Posted By: dhg Re: Looking for a 223 bolt gun... - 04/14/14
Originally Posted by Boxer
A gritty-schitty CZ 223 twisted 1-12",is a huge bet to lose and an easy Goat [bleep] to pass upon...from any/all angles.

Hint.

Dude, i have no idea what you just said, but if you believe carnal relations with a goat from all angles is easy i would kindly suggest you have not fncked enough goats. Which surprises me.

FWIW, the new 53gr V-max makes 1:12 my preferred twist in a straight .223 again. You are going to have to go up to a 70gr bullet to get a significant improvement in BC, and the small improvement in BC can't compensate for the 500fps you have lost - at least not at any range a .223 can be relied upon to kill at.

CZ527, Lapua brass, 53gr V-max and about 25gr of Benchmark - that is the answer to your question.
dhg,

Hilarious that your sheer and utter [bleep] Stupidity,is what you fancy to be your Trump Card. You are in sooooooooooo [bleep] far over your head,I hope someone starts piping daylight to you,so you won't shut the [bleep] up. Laffin'!

1-12" is a Goat [bleep],despite your having the inability to grasp something so incredibly obvious. Cheer up,as there's hardly a 500fps difference between the 53's .290BC and a 70's .371BC...but it's your Imagination,Pretend with it however you please.

Your Imaginary 223 "experience" is [bleep] hilarious! Mebbe expound on these "distances" at which a 1-12" "excells",if only to add more humor to the equation,even more obliviously. Please do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you talk out your clueless ass even further. Probably a very GOOD [bleep] call to refrain your load's velocity,side step throating and COAL latitude to boot. Laffin'!

Knock it out of the Park,say a leetle sumptin' about the glass you fly on that piece of schit and then muse POA/POI correlations. Laffin'!

A POS Goat [bleep] CZ 527 is a series of heavy concessions,that sail over your pointy-head and tinfoil hat...which is only the beginning of the hilarity!

Where do you incredibly stupid [bleep] come from?!?

Wow +P+!
Originally Posted by dhg
Originally Posted by Boxer

Hint.

Dude, i have no idea what you just said, but if you believe carnal relations with a goat from all angles is easy i would kindly suggest you have not fncked enough goats. Which surprises me.

FWIW, the new 53gr V-max makes 1:12 my preferred twist in a straight .223 again. You are going to have to go up to a 70gr bullet to get a significant improvement in BC, and the small improvement in BC can't compensate for the 500fps you have lost - at least not at any range a .223 can be relied upon to kill at.

CZ527, Lapua brass, 53gr V-max and about 25gr of Benchmark - that is the answer to your question.

Allow me to translate Stick's carefully worded post for you.

The CZ is rough as guts, the 1 in 12 twist is fine for 50gr to 55 gr but is twisted too slow for the projectiles you will be wanting to use if you are twisting knobs and shooting beyond 300 yds....this makes the CZ very easy to pass up.

So a Montana would be more to Stick's liking.

I do not necessarily agree as I have the facility to drive or walk closer to what I want to shoot and am quite happy with using a CZ in .223 with 50gr projectiles, but for those like Stick that enjoy shooting at distance the gist holds true.
Please do not ask me to translate the preceding post as I couldn't be bothered, suffice to say Stick thinks you are a f-wit.

But don't take it to heart as he thinks that everyone is a f-wit.

Have a nice day.
I was looking at those supposedly awful in every way, Savage Axis, over at the local Wally World the other day, as they didn't have any Ruger Americans listed in 223...

I wasn't impressed of course with the AXIS, until I asked about the twist on them... was surprised and impressed with the answer from the spec sheet on each...

The 223 comes with a one in 7 twist... the 22.250 comes with a one in 9 twist...

for $289 for a beat around truck gun, that you don't have to worry about... those aren't bad specs...

the Bolts on them were also smoother than I'd give credit for them on..... these are kind of like a spot once held by the old Rem 788s.... rough, cheap and junky looking.. but real shooters
Just got off the horn with my LGS... He called his Distributers and they still cannot get the SS Ruger American 223. He said there are hundreds on back order through all the Distributers. Apparently Ruger is not shipping them for one reason or another.
I'm not going to pretend to know as much as Boxer on the subject, but, I'm going to second his suggestion. I own(ed) various Mod 70's, a mini mauser, Sako, and a CZ.

The Sako has the smoothest action and the mini mauser is almost identical in size and design. Once worked over by a smith the mini mauser can be nearly as nice as a Sako. However, in factory offerings, they both have small mag boxes and twist rates I'd avoid. A new barrel will fix the twist rate, but the mag box dimensions cannot be overcome. The only CZ that comes with a 1-9 is the varminter. It isn't exactly light, and your COAL is limited by the detachable mag. If you get the right Mod 70, like a Coyote, you'll have a decent twist. You, can also modify the mag box for heavier bullets. But, the action is the same dimensions as the rest of their .473's. It isn't exactly light either. Especially with the tractor axle barrel on the coyote.

The Montana is twisted right from the factory, will shoot any bullet you can stuff in the brass, and it will weigh less than everything I've mentioned. I was to cheap/stupid to buy one myself. Instead I spent even more money trying to build one off a different action. I kick myself every time I think about the one I passed on multiple times.

Today, you may have no desire to shoot anything over 55gr. A couple years from now, if you change your mind, you're screwed. Save yourself time, money, and headaches and get a Montana out of the gate. I sure wish I had. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Bought a 700 SPS in 223 the other day, put a Burris P223 4x12 on it and it is a shooter

can't hardly beat it for the price and 5 shots to sight it in..
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was looking at those supposedly awful in every way, Savage Axis, over at the local Wally World the other day, as they didn't have any Ruger Americans listed in 223...

I wasn't impressed of course with the AXIS, until I asked about the twist on them... was surprised and impressed with the answer from the spec sheet on each...

The 223 comes with a one in 7 twist... the 22.250 comes with a one in 9 twist...

for $289 for a beat around truck gun, that you don't have to worry about... those aren't bad specs...

the Bolts on them were also smoother than I'd give credit for them on..... these are kind of like a spot once held by the old Rem 788s.... rough, cheap and junky looking.. but real shooters

There is no embarrassment in using a rifle that cost $289.00, I wish to Christ we could purchase them for the same here, use them up and spit them out.

Cheaper than a barrel.
What do Tikkas cost in Oz?
Originally Posted by OldRook
Bought a 700 SPS in 223 the other day, put a Burris P223 4x12 on it and it is a shooter

can't hardly beat it for the price and 5 shots to sight it in..

Why so many? whistle

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
What do Tikkas cost in Oz?

QLD gun exchange & fishing has an ad in the last Journal and it lists the cheapest Tikka T3 lite blue with synthetic stock for $930, all the other T3's are from $1200 to $2300.
Only reason I'd not go Ruger is I"ve had one smith already refuse to rebore a barrel on one.

I"d rather have something I can swap parts on.. more mainstream makes more sense to me anyway.

But then I'd still like to have at least a 7 or 8 twist so I just keep my ARs instead.
Originally Posted by rost495
Only reason I'd not go Ruger is I"ve had one smith already refuse to rebore a barrel on one.

I"d rather have something I can swap parts on.. more mainstream makes more sense to me anyway.

But then I'd still like to have at least a 7 or 8 twist so I just keep my ARs instead.

Why did they refuse?
Said they would not take the barrel off the reciever as it was some hokey type setup. Had done it a few times and it was more trouble than worth.

Of course it doesn't matter in a way either unless you are going to replace the barrel or shoot more than about 3500 to 10K rounds depending on the quality of the barrel and your accuracy needs.

I've never been impressed with much of rugers overall quality. Seems designed on the cheap to just get by and slap a gun together as cheaply as they could and still sell for a good amount.

The 77s redone and given to the US Palma team failed miserably, I think 2 out of 12 were accurate enough..... to even use.
Originally Posted by minengr
I'm not going to pretend to know as much as Boxer on the subject, but, I'm going to second his suggestion. I own(ed) various Mod 70's, a mini mauser, Sako, and a CZ.

The Sako has the smoothest action and the mini mauser is almost identical in size and design. Once worked over by a smith the mini mauser can be nearly as nice as a Sako. However, in factory offerings, they both have small mag boxes and twist rates I'd avoid. A new barrel will fix the twist rate, but the mag box dimensions cannot be overcome. The only CZ that comes with a 1-9 is the varminter. It isn't exactly light, and your COAL is limited by the detachable mag. If you get the right Mod 70, like a Coyote, you'll have a decent twist. You, can also modify the mag box for heavier bullets. But, the action is the same dimensions as the rest of their .473's. It isn't exactly light either. Especially with the tractor axle barrel on the coyote.

The Montana is twisted right from the factory, will shoot any bullet you can stuff in the brass, and it will weigh less than everything I've mentioned. I was to cheap/stupid to buy one myself. Instead I spent even more money trying to build one off a different action. I kick myself every time I think about the one I passed on multiple times.

Today, you may have no desire to shoot anything over 55gr. A couple years from now, if you change your mind, you're screwed. Save yourself time, money, and headaches and get a Montana out of the gate. I sure wish I had. But that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

For Kimber prices I'll buy a donor action and build a good rifle every last time. Thats teh only downfall to them that I can see. When it costs what a donor plus a good barrel are to put on or only slightly less, it becomes a build a gun, not buy a gun.
I like the build idea.... and did
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

3 75 Amax's @ 400
[Linked Image]

3 75 gr Amax's @ 644
[Linked Image]
In Sept 2013 I built a Sav110 223 with a Lothar Walther bull barrel, TACTICOOL stock, tactical bolt handle, adjustable cheek rest, etc.

It will shoot one hole groups, but weighs 16 pounds with scope and bipod.

I have a Ruger #1V 223 that weighs half that, that shoots almost as well and is much handier.
What's a 75 amax? I hear stories of their existence but like a leprechaun, near impossible to find.....

I have a couple of .223's.
One CZ varminter
One rem sps
One rem AI, the CZ was my favourite to shoot and most accurate as well until I purchased that AI,
© 24hourcampfire