Home
Posted By: leomort would you keep? - 06/06/14
I moved from Pennsylvania where I could use my 308win to deer hunt but moved to Indiana where rifle hunting not allowed.

Would you guys keep it? Or send it down the road?
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
If you like the rifle and it is a nice rifle then keep it. It will only go up in value unless it is something like a Savage Axis.

If you really need to sell it and get a slug gun or something , then sell it.

Hope you enjoy your new home but it would be a bummer not to be able to hunt with a rifle.
Posted By: yeselk Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
You can still shoot it can't you?
How about using it to call coyotes? Or is this not allowed?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
If you can afford to keep it and still have something to hunt with in IN, keep it. You never know when a chance to hunt somewhere else might pop up and a good rifle is a good thing to have around anyway, especially in something like .308 or .223. The Zombie Apocalypse could happen any day!
Posted By: noKnees Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
If its your only rifle I would keep it. You can hunt in other states and a 308 is pretty good for most everything in the lower 48
Posted By: deflave Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
I would need to know what it is and what you feel it is worth before I could answer.

PM's preferred.

Thanks.

Travis
Posted By: leomort Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
Yes, it can be used for coyote hunting.

A guy was telling me that calling/shooting coyotes up in the Lafayette area are typically long shoots, 500-600yards. Don't think the 223rem would have enough steam at that range to take coyote reliable?
Posted By: pointer Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
Originally Posted by leomort
I moved from Pennsylvania where I could use my 308win to deer hunt but moved to Indiana where rifle hunting not allowed.

Have a 358 Hooser barrel screwed on it and you can use it here in Indiana.

http://ajbrownarms.com/services/358-hoosier/
Posted By: Pittu Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
I would never sell a rifle unless I already had one of that caliber that I liked better.

I think you would regret selling it, unless there is something about it that you dont like. Every American (who isn't a liberal POS moron or psycho) should own and know how to operate at least one 30 caliber centerfire rifle.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: would you keep? - 06/06/14
Originally Posted by Pittu
I would never sell a rifle unless I already had one of that caliber that I liked better.

I think you would regret selling it, unless there is something about it that you dont like. Every American (who isn't a liberal POS moron or psycho) should own and know how to operate at least one 30 caliber centerfire rifle.

YES and you should be required to show it to vote!
Posted By: bangeye Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
Several questions first. How old are you? Do you think you will never again venture outside of Indiana ? Do you have other rifles? Does it hold any good memories for you? Hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. I'd probably keep it and just get e a slug gun for Indiana or maybe a nice ML which I believe is legal there for both. Primitive and modern gun season.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
I'd move
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
Me too.

But on my recent trip to D.C., I observed that the deer along I-70 in southern Ohio are taking a hell of a beating this spring. We were seeing about a dead doe per mile, but just one buck.
Ohio has more deer than I figgered.
Posted By: doorgunner Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
Yes, it can be used for coyote hunting.

A guy was telling me that calling/shooting coyotes up in the Lafayette area are typically long shoots, 500-600yards. Don't think the 223rem would have enough steam at that range to take coyote reliable?

That doesn't make sense, so I'd take that advice with a grain of salt. I've been calling and pounding coyotes with boring regularity for almost 40 years. Even in heavily called areas, yotes don't hold up at 500 to 600 yards. I think quite possibly the person giving you this advice doesn't know chit about calling coyotes. And FWIW, the 223 is perfectly adequate for coyotes at 300+ yards, unless you can't shoot, or you are using the wrong bullet/rifle. Lot's of people talk about consistently killing them past 300, but I'd bet they are not being entirely truthful with you. A coyote's kill zone is an extremely small target past about 300.
Posted By: efw Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
Or, living in Indiana, doesn't know what 500-600 yards looks like?

I was popping recyclables here in Michigan at 250 and a truck load of guys stopped to ask what kind of canon I was using to reach out so far... 50 BMG? You shoulda seen the looks on their faces when I said naw, 223...

We flat landers just don't know how to judge distance.

I'd keep the 308, get a 358 Hoosier, and a 223.
Posted By: cal74 Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14

I just moved from SD to a shot-gun only zone in MN :(, I probably have 15-20 different deer rifles. Don't think I'll be selling any, so certainly wouldn't sell just one.

There will be a day where you'll be able to use it again for a big game hunt somewhere or other.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
There's a long list of stuff I sold because I wasn't' using it right then and now wish I still had. Now I try to think about it very hard before I let something go on a whim. Now, if I could manage to apply that to BUYING stuff, I could pay for that operation Grandma needs.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
Keep it unless it's eating too much food.
Posted By: SansSouci Re: would you keep? - 06/07/14
leomort,

A good rule to live by: never sell a gun.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
Originally Posted by efw
I'd keep the 308, get a 358 Hoosier, and a 223.

Sound advice...
Posted By: Homesteader Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
doorgunner - am I clear on this post...IN lets you use a CF rifle to hunt/shoot coyotes BUT forces you (via state regs) to hunt dear with a shotgun? IN hunters/shooters - what is the reasoning behind this? A lawmakers joke, perhaps. Homesteader
Posted By: valad Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
I am with the above post in "Why does IN or any other state impose shotgun only on deer season?"

And to the OP if this was your only rifle I'd keep it. But if you bought it recently and is a recent production rifle you can always find another one should you need it.

How about thinking of moving out of IN?
Posted By: pointer Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
Originally Posted by Homesteader
doorgunner - am I clear on this post...IN lets you use a CF rifle to hunt/shoot coyotes BUT forces you (via state regs) to hunt dear with a shotgun? IN hunters/shooters - what is the reasoning behind this? A lawmakers joke, perhaps. Homesteader
Yes. Not sure, but I'm guessing tradition and faulty logic.

FWIW, CF rifles can be used if they meet the following criteria; bullet .35" or bigger, case length no longer than 1.8". I could easily see them allowing all CF rifles in most counties in the future.

valad- Instead of moving he should just enjoy that all types/forms/methods of hunting are legal on Sundays in Indiana... wink
Posted By: Mike_S Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
Not to hijack the thread but in silliness Massachusetts leads the league. For deer anywhere in the state a shotgun or muzzle loader must be used. Bear a rifle. Private land, public it doesn't matter.

For the record I live in the Peoples Republic of Konnecticut and use a shotgun with slugs for public land hunting, and I have lost count of the rifles I keep for my week in Maine.
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
I'd keep it!
Posted By: leomort Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
I lost all but one firearm in my divorce, left handed CZ 452 American.

I've replaced them with two left handed ruger hawkey, one in 308 win and one 223 rem.

I'm more a recreational shooter now, then a hunter.

Both rifles have McMillan stocks & Leupold Scopes so not shabby rifles..

Yes, I wasn't sure that guy was accurate with his 500 hard coyote shooting. But I've only hunted whitetail in Pennsylvania where our shoots are relatively short.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: would you keep? - 06/08/14
same rules in ohio, guessing it's due to occasionally shooting a coyote, versus 2,000,000 guys shooting rifles for 2 weeks a year in every direction in residential areas.
Posted By: leomort Re: would you keep? - 06/09/14
mbjgalt, yes Ohio is very similar as Indiana & I suspect for same reason.
Posted By: pointer Re: would you keep? - 06/09/14
I lost all but one firearm in my divorce, left handed CZ 452 American.

I've replaced them with two left handed ruger hawkey, one in 308 win and one 223 rem.

I'm more a recreational shooter now, then a hunter.

Both rifles have McMillan stocks & Leupold Scopes so not shabby rifles..

Yes, I wasn't sure that guy was accurate with his 500 hard coyote shooting. But I've only hunted whitetail in Pennsylvania where our shoots are relatively short.
Since the 308 is a Ruger, I'd have a barrel made in 358 Hoosier and make it a switch barrel rifle. With the fixed lug, a few tools, and a witness mark you could switch between the 308 and Hoosier easy enough.

I'd be suspect of most anyone touting shots of that distance in Indiana. In most places 500yds might cross 3 landowners... wink

BTW, what part of the state did you land in?
Posted By: leomort Re: would you keep? - 06/09/14
pointer,

I'm in Indianapolis.

What's irritating me is finding a range or sportsman club that allows me to shoot centerfire rifle. I've got the stuff to reload and want to learn how to reload but without a range kind of makes reloading moot.

There's Atterbury but that's a decent drive and only 100yard range?
Posted By: pointer Re: would you keep? - 06/09/14
What part of the city do you live/work? I work on the westside of town and live NE of the city.

Ranges are definitely not thick on the ground here and real thin if you want to shoot past 100yds. There's good one about a bit over an 1hr north of Indy (Bass and Bucks, Wabash, IN) that goes to 750yds and is $15 for the day or $10 for an hour. hey usally carry a pretty good selection of reloading stuff as well.

Not certain when I'll be going next, but I'll be in touch the next time I head that way.
© 24hourcampfire