Home
Lots of progress made! Injection molding machine is finished, mold received on Saturday, and I spent all weekend experimenting with different plastics, colors, temperatures, etc. Smashed my finger along the way, really a dumb move. I managed to make 2 good parts, a few marginal ones, and a bunch of bad ones! I learned that clear polycarbonate material is a no-go, really brittle and not suited well to my setup. Part shattered in the mold and it took me almost two hours to get the pieces out. I found a couple of materials that worked well, made one of each. I will send the parts out tomorrow to shortactionsmoker for testing. If all goes well there it will be time to ramp up production! I contacted Paypal last week and received clearance that this part does NOT violate their acceptable use policy so that makes things easier.

Here are a few pictures:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Very cool
cotis -

I assume you looked into Ruger patents regarding the part before spending time and money on this project?
That's great!

Cost?

Dink
Those things are uber.

Travis
Don't have a RAR (Yet!), which one is your part and what is this going to remedy?

Thanks,

Jerry
Current RAR 223 mags have a molded in block that keeps one from loading 75's and other 'sleek' pills.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
cotis -

I assume you looked into Ruger patents regarding the part before spending time and money on this project?

Yes, there are no intellectual property issues with this item. Same reason it is not patentable.

Impressive! Now if you just make some 75 amax bullets.
Just picked up my new Ruger American Predator yesterday! Really looking forward to the new magazine mod.

Will you need to modify existing magazines, or will you be selling them whole?
I am not selling whole magazines. I will do the installation of the new rear portion if you send me the magazine(s).
Will you sell just the parts, so that someone can do the modification themselves? Will there be any other payment available other than paypal, such as check, or Postal MO, or credit card?

Do you have a price yet?
My main plan is to sell just the part. I figured I would offer the installation service for anyone who didn't want to mess with it themselves. I hope to accept payments from almost any source, just please don't send me rolls of pennies! The Paypal and credit card processing may have a small fee added to cover some of my expense of that. Not positive as I haven't figured all that out yet.

I will produce a "how-to" instruction sheet with photos detailing the swap.

My price will be $25 for one, $45 for two, and $60 for 3. Want to buy a bunch, contact me and we'll talk! Shipping is included in the price.

I follow the golden rule - treat others as you want to be treated - so if there is a problem I will make it right. You wouldn't believe the amount of time and money I have spent on this in the last several months. My main goal here is simply to make my money back on this project! I could have bought a nice Cooper or Blaser rifle with what I have tied up in this, several if you put a dollar value on my time. Why I am doing all of this, that's a darn good question (I ask myself that sometimes, esp. after I smashed my finger working on it this weekend). I am one of those types that loves to tinker and solve problems, and this looked like a fun one to solve. Want to hear something funny? I don't even own one of these Ruger American rifles in .223 yet! Combine that with an entrepreneurial spirit and you find someone who is rarely bored. I have already ordered some bluetooth hardware for my next project, wireless control of a Pro Chrono chronograph using your cell phone!

I am still determining how long it takes me to make one. My manufacturing is a very manual operation and I still have to do some post-injection processing on the part. The three locking tabs need to be glued into the main body. Also, one of the holes for the mating tab is proving to be VERY difficult. you can actually see this in the 1st picture of this thread, it's the part in the upper left corner of the picture. There is a very thin-wall condition going on where the plastic does not want to flow. It is even a problem on the factory part from Ruger, the two I have from them both show problems in this area. I guarantee you they are using a bigger injection press than I am! I have removed the tab from my mold so it actually gets injected as a positive, then I cut the positive off and manually machine in the negative slot. Delicate work as the walls that are left are less than 1 mm thick.

Thanks for the interest and support! Chaz
Thank you for your entrepreneurial spirit! I'll take 2 when they are available grin
I am in!
I will take one !
2 for me !
Put me down for one as well, thanks
Nice work, cotis. Am awaiting their release.
I don't own one either but I am in for two. Let me know when to send the money.

Dink
Could I open one up to work on a .308?

Travis
I'm in for one and don't own one either
I have a spreadsheet going with all the people who have PM'd me or posted an interest. Thanks!

The parts I sent out for evaluation had a minor fit issue but we have identified and solved it.

I ordered more plastic raw material and a 3 ton clamp today. I hope to make more parts this weekend! I did try to buy one of these guns today, struck out at both Sportsmans Warehouse in Southaven and Bass Pro in Memphis. I know where there is a blued full size one at a local gun shop but I really want a stainless or predator version.
cotis,

Put me down for Two. I'll buy the gun later... I've learned not to miss these small shop runs as often they never happen again.

Are they making the RAR predator in stainless? I truly hope so!

Jerry
I would like 2 of these. Just had my dealer order a stainless compact for my son.

Thanks
I'll take 4 please.
I'll take 2!

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
cotis,

Put me down for Two. I'll buy the gun later... I've learned not to miss these small shop runs as often they never happen again.

Are they making the RAR predator in stainless? I truly hope so!

Jerry

No, the Predator is not available in stainless, at least not at the moment. Just picked one up on Monday, waiting on my scope and rings to arrive!
What is the allowable C.O.A.L.?

Thanks
I don't remember the factory mag COAL, but I have added 0.230 to it with my part.

Anyone who has contacted me via PM or posted here that they want one, I have your name on my list. Don't worry, I won't forget you as I need to sell some of these things! Hopefully the last of my needed supplies arrive this weekend so I can start cranking them out as fast as I can. I hope to have all commitments fulfilled before the 4th of July. Thanks guys!

If anyone is on other forums I would really appreciate it if you could spread the word regarding this part. Maybe I should set up a referral program?
COAL exceeds 2.5"...

You can reach the lands with room to spare with 75's and 80's....
I'll take 2 for $45 if I can send you a check or Postal Money order.

I don't mind if you wait for the check to clear before shipping. I'll also do a credit card if you get set up. Just let us know when to send the money.

I don't own a RAR yet either.
PM sent. Cool stuff sir.
It's taken 6 hours today, a trailer hitch ball (sacrificed for the 3/4-16 threaded shank), a 3/4" socket, an hour on the drill press and other fiddling, but the new clamp is made and installed! The socket allows for precise length adjustments to the clamp pressure. Glad I always have a habit of turning around to pick up tools I see on the road! The socket was one of these pick-ups. Time to start making parts!
[Linked Image]
This looks like a continuation of an earlier thread but I can't find it with the Search function. Can you give me the title and date of the first thread?

I don't need to shoot long, heavy bullets but my 223 RAR is having failure to feed issues with every load, including 55 grain bullets. Will this modification help with that?
What are your feeding issues?
Originally Posted by cotis
I did try to buy one of these guns today, struck out at both Sportsmans Warehouse in Southaven and Bass Pro in Memphis. I know where there is a blued full size one at a local gun shop but I really want a stainless or predator version.

I know where there is a compact stainless for sale if interested. I have a full size in SS and it is a good shooter, put a 4-12 redfield revolution on it and many crows have bit the dust.
cotis,

358wsm asked the same question above that I have; what is the C.O.A.L?

Could you take a measurement and let us know please?

Thanks
Jim
Hi Steelhead. Hope I don't offend with this digression.

Started with occasional misfeed with 65gr to 75gr bullets, but I thought it was a break in issue and intend to use 55gr loads anyway. On another thread I went on and on about how much I like this rifle.

I now have over 300 rounds through it and it has gotten worse. Happens usually with the first round, almost always with the last round, and, for some reason, almost never with the 2d, 3d and 4th round.

Working the bolt with some vigor helps but is not a complete fix. It happens with all loads now, even 55gr FMJ. The bolt rides up over the case, sometimes after it starts to push the round out, sometimes before it even moves the round at all.

Partly its the magazine as it can get jammed just trying to load rounds into the magazine. But it may be more than the mag. It happens even when I place a round into the ejection port, resting on the magazine lips. Seems to catch up on the throat.

I ordered a spare magazine from the online Ruger store and I hope that helps when it comes in. After 30 years of owning many different Rugers this is my first problem of any kind.

I like the rifle so much I will keep it even if I can't sort this out and just treat it as a single shot that might work like a repeater now and then. So much for using is as my dangerous game stopper.
Originally Posted by Rug3
cotis,

Thanks
Jim

I have his prototypes and his first set of mag mods. As I stated before, the COAL is in excess of 2.5". I'll get you a specific measurement when I get home later.
Originally Posted by sjs
Hi Steelhead. Hope I don't offend with this digression.

Started with occasional misfeed with 65gr to 75gr bullets, but I thought it was a break in issue and intend to use 55gr loads anyway. On another thread I went on and on about how much I like this rifle.

I now have over 300 rounds through it and it has gotten worse. Happens usually with the first round, almost always with the last round, and, for some reason, almost never with the 2d, 3d and 4th round.

Working the bolt with some vigor helps but is not a complete fix. It happens with all loads now, even 55gr FMJ. The bolt rides up over the case, sometimes after it starts to push the round out, sometimes before it even moves the round at all.

Partly its the magazine as it can get jammed just trying to load rounds into the magazine. But it may be more than the mag. It happens even when I place a round into the ejection port, resting on the magazine lips. Seems to catch up on the throat.

I ordered a spare magazine from the online Ruger store and I hope that helps when it comes in. After 30 years of owning many different Rugers this is my first problem of any kind.

I like the rifle so much I will keep it even if I can't sort this out and just treat it as a single shot that might work like a repeater now and then. So much for using is as my dangerous game stopper.

Easy fix. Your mag lips are too tight. Open the forward portion of the mag up a little with a Dremel or file.

When this happens...

[Linked Image]

Too tight...

[Linked Image]

Just right....

[Linked Image]

For reference... Here is a 75 A-Max loaded .010" INTO the lands. You won't be shooting bullets much longer than this...

[Linked Image]

IIRC....the round was loaded at 2.41". It looks as if there is too much space, but that's not the case. There is a slight bevel inside the mag box that can't been seen in the picture. I know there is a minimum of 2.5" of usable mag space. I'll get a max measurement later today...
Originally Posted by Rug3
cotis,

Thanks
Jim

I just measured the mag using both the factory part and my modification. Factory measures at 2.300", mine measures 2.520". As SAS said, there is a bevel in the front of the mag that shortens the usable length slightly. Additionally, the angle changes slightly on my part so I would be comfortable saying the usable length of my part is 2.500" inches.

My part will not correct magazine feeding issues, that is caused by the front half of the mag.

Rugerdiggs, I would be interested in the compact stainless.
Thank you much SAS, I will give that a try.
That didn't take long. Went a bit farther than you showed, mine ended up measuring .042, but it worked like a charm. Slow, fast or in between it is cycling 5 out of 5 every time. Thank you again. Back to the range for more fun later this week.
That's why I asked. SAS told me, I opened the mag, voila it feeds like a fat boy at a buffet.
Glad you asked. Glad SAS answered. This made my day.
tag
For the record I called Ruger about the problem, they mailed me 2 magazines gratis. New mags are wider.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
For the record I called Ruger about the problem, they mailed me 2 magazines gratis. New mags are wider.

Did the same thing with my dads 243 and ruger sent me one new one. I'll open the lips up a bit tonight on the bad one and then I'll have two when somebody buys it. Mine was doing exactly what SAS picture depicted.
Attempted to make some parts tonight. Ended up with 2 good ones and 10 bad ones! Lots of short fills in the mold, still figuring things out. I think the humidity is messing things up some. At this rate it's going to take a while to make the quantity I want....
[Linked Image]
You have gotten this far, you'll figure it out. Keep up the good work!

BTW - I have my RAR now, a Predator model. Put a Redfield Battlezone 3x9x42 on it. Haven't shot it yet...too hot to go to the range!
What material did you end up using?
Any update here? Hello? grin
I apologize for the delayed update. I worked on this up until the July 4th weekend then I took a break. I had guests in town and needed to relax. I am currently away on business.

status: I have made about a dozen good shots with another dozen I would classify as "blems" (functional but not perfect). Of this batch I have 4 completely finished. 2 I shipped to a member here who sent me money without me asking. The other 2 I planned on shipping to shortactionsmoker since he has helped me on this from the beginning.
I am currently away on business but I dropped the mold off at my local machine shop to solve some issues that were killing my productivity. I should be good to go when I get back.

Tedthorn-I have had the best luck using PC-ABS material, but I haven't given up on the pa66 glass fill stuff. The small inserts in the mold that kept popping out were killing my process because it takes me a long time to remove them from the part and re-insert them into the mold. I believe this time affects the plastic because it sits there "cooking" instead of being injected. Now that I have this solved I can focus on the temperature and pressure process hopefully.

I have purposely not opened up order-taking as I don't want to be in a position of receiving money and not have inventory to ship out immediately. Rest assured if you have posted or contacted me with an interest in this I have you on my list and will contact you! Thanks, Chaz

I'd like to be in line for 2 when you get ready to sell some. I admire your hard work and will get a RAR at some point.
I'm in for 4 when available.

David
I wish you the best of luck but I had a feeling process time would affect mold and resin temperature and cause you headache

Simple PP or PS might be your best bet. This we run by the trainloads and is very forgiving
In for 2 also
Chaz,
Awesome work so far. I'm in for 4 when ready.

Thanks, Tom
Definitely interested in a couple of these
Pm sent on payment instructions I would like one when available.

Thanks
Put me down for two
Just curious, any update on these? Looking forward to carrying the long ones in the mag on the snow machine this winter....
I am just about ready to receive orders. Should be ready in the next few weeks at most! Chaz
Excellent.
Thanks Chaz. Looking forward to it.
Put me down for three please.
I will take two,and I don't even have a rifle for it ,yet.
I'm in for three for sure.
No pressure, put me down for three, too. Thanks.
Cotis,

Any update? Anxiously waiting to send you money.....

grin

David
Here is my update on the mag mod manufacture. I have desperately wanted to make some the past few weeks, but life happens. Work got really busy, I had a weekend committed out on something, and last weekend was the opening of bow season for deer in TN (sorry, I have to have a little fun!). I ordered 10lbs of pellets last week so I have plenty of raw material on hand. I had good intentions of starting last night, but the replacement part for my garage door opener came in so I fixed it instead. I was really tired of opening that damn thing manually!

This is the exact reason I didn't collect money ahead of time, I didn't want to be in a position of not delivering. I underestimated the demand on this project which is a good thing I guess. Ruger has really helped me out with the introduction of the new Predator and Ranch lines (I didn't see that coming). If I would have known this I really would have done a kickstarter style campaign to raise enough money for a full production mold so parts could be made by a full-blown injection house (probably would need around $5k).

I have sent a few parts out already from by 1st prototype batch, I was hoping those customers would publish their experience with it but that hasn't happened yet. I really just need a solid few days of productive injection molding (not a bunch of half-shots in the mold) and I can crank these out. I have some vacation days to burn and I plan on starting tonight! Almost wish I had some help now....

I appreciate the support so far.
Chaz
Looking forward to getting mine!

I got one from Cotis and it is great. It snapped right in and works like a charm. Cotis pointed out to me that the tabs on the factory part are not very strong and are easy to break if your not careful. He is right. The part that he makes is stronger than the factory one. I've been loading the 75 AMax out to 2.390" with plenty of clearance. Feeds as well if not better than with the original mag. I just wish my rifle would stop spraying the Amax's to 4" groups at 100. Thanks Cotis, appreciate your work on this.
Cotis,

Much appreciated!

Thanks, David
Hmmm
When it happens I'll take 4.

Thanks.
Update: today couldn't have gone much better. This afternoon I successfully made over a dozen mag bodies and tabs. A new 30 gallon air compressor borrowed from a friend along with some Hornady one shot case lube made all the difference in the world. I still need to machine the slot in these, glue in the tabs, and do some minor fitting but I couldn't be happier with today's work.

I have some work things that will prevent me from doing much on this, especially next week, but I hope to get today's parts finished before then. I will start contacting people on the waiting list when that happens.
Originally Posted by cotis
Update: today couldn't have gone much better. This afternoon I successfully made over a dozen mag bodies and tabs. A new 30 gallon air compressor borrowed from a friend along with some Hornady one shot case lube made all the difference in the world. I still need to machine the slot in these, glue in the tabs, and do some minor fitting but I couldn't be happier with today's work.

I have some work things that will prevent me from doing much on this, especially next week, but I hope to get today's parts finished before then. I will start contacting people on the waiting list when that happens.

Chaz,

I really appreciate all of the hard work. I know your primary motivation was the millions of dollars to be made in making one-off magazine parts for a disount rifle - still I think a small part of the motivation was to help your fellow shooters.

Regards,
David
If you're still doing this, I'll gladly take 4 please!
Tako,
Still doing this. I'll put you on the list.
Put me on the list for 5 of them....Thanks!!
I will take two. My new 300 BLK has the same problem as described on the 223's
@Cotis

I will take two. Please put me on the list. Thank you for your ingenuity.
just a plug for Chaz...

I got 2 of them on the initial offering...

I am thrilled with my two... I highly recommend them to anyone owning a Ruger American in 223... Mine is a Ruger American Predator...
They are nice. He spent a bunch of money and tons of time with R&D. I wish him the best. His mag extension takes the rifle to the next level.
I'll take two as well. I'm ready to start in with the heavies and see what this rig can do.
Cotis,

Please put me on the list for 2!

Thank you sir!!!!
Any update??

Thanks tAKo
Latest update:
First off, I was sick all last weekend so I didn't do anything other than sleep, rest and watch TV. I am back up and going now.

I purposely made the decision never to take money in advance for orders because life has a way of happening. Well, it has. My wife has accepted a new job starting at the first of the year, only it's in a different state 10 hours away. So my nice plan of taking the last 3 weeks of the year off to do some hunting, resting, making parts, etc. is blown out the window. Now I am spending that time helping her move, etc. We have a good marriage but this will be a new experience doing the long distance thing for a while.

The good news is I will have plenty of time come 2015 to make parts! Until then my time is limited so I humbly ask for your patience. I am open to selling the entire setup if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Chaz
Well glad you're doing better now, always a nasty sickness this time of the year. Like you said "Life has a way of happening" so I understand that things come up, and no one can get mad at that! Hope the move goes smoothly, and your wife enjoys her new job. Also hope that you enjoy the holidays, and all works out nicely.

I'm in no hurry to receive these, just got bored at work, figured I'd see how the production was coming along. Really appreciated the update!

Thanks, tAKo
Glad you're doing well
This is a little off the topic but I.ve searched and can't find anything.I have a American in .243 that has feeding issues the second shell doesn't move up in the magazine.I called Ruger they are sending me a new magazine said I could keep the old one. I want to try to fix it any tips for taking it apart and putting it back together any flying pieces to watch out for?
Originally Posted by willycc
This is a little off the topic but I.ve searched and can't find anything.I have a American in .243 that has feeding issues the second shell doesn't move up in the magazine.I called Ruger they are sending me a new magazine said I could keep the old one. I want to try to fix it any tips for taking it apart and putting it back together any flying pieces to watch out for?

Wait for Cotis to reply. In a pm he told me there is a trick to taking them apart w/o breaking the tabs but I don't know what it is. I had already broken the tabs on my old base, but because I had Cotis's replacement base I didn't care.

David
Willycc, sounds like you have a defective magazine somehow. The part I make only works on .223 magazines.

I have found a pretty consistent way of taking them apart, but it is not foolproof. Depending on how careful and patient you are directly determines your success. The temperature of the plastic also makes a difference. Colder makes it more brittle and prone to breakage. Warm the mag using a hair dryer or hot water before disassembly.

There are three tabs holding the two portions together (the tabs lock into the holes on the sides of the mag). There is one tab on the left and two on the right. DO NOT MESS WITH THE TABS ON THE RIGHT! pretty much guaranteed to break at least one of them if you do. I push in the tab on the left with a small screwdriver while pulling on the rear of the mag. Don't push in on tab too hard as you will stress and break it. You are going for the absolute minimum force required to release it from the locking hole. You are trying to release just the left side by pulling back on the rear portion of the mag (basically twisting it slightly counter-clockwise when looking at the mag from the top, front of mag at 12 o'clock).

Once the left tab is free continued rotation counter-clockwise will allow the right tabs to unlock from their holes and release the rear portion. Reassembly is easier, just get the follower point in the hole on the rear portion and snap the rear directly forward onto the front.

It helps to have three hands for this procedure so I usually secure the mag in a vice with just enough tension to hold it securely. I also use a fired shell casing to hold the mag follower down so it doesn't unwind and pop out when you separate the mag. The pictures below show all of this.

Mag in vice with shell casing holding follower down:
[Linked Image]

Pressing in left tab:
[Linked Image]

Rotating rear portion off:
[Linked Image]
Thank you. I'am not going to try anything till I have the other mag.The spring seems a little weak in this one. Don't know if I can fix it but I'll give it a try. Thanks Again
Bill
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
For reference... Here is a 75 A-Max loaded .010" INTO the lands. You won't be shooting bullets much longer than this...

[Linked Image]

IIRC....the round was loaded at 2.41". It looks as if there is too much space, but that's not the case. There is a slight bevel inside the mag box that can't been seen in the picture. I know there is a minimum of 2.5" of usable mag space. I'll get a max measurement later today...

Just got a 16"-barreled Ruger American Ranch today. Jammed a long-loaded A-Max into the lands and it came out with COL of 2.525". Wonder if the Ranch has more freebore since it's chambered in "5.56"?? Should be perfect with the mag extension.

Member darrenk75b was kind enough to give up his extensions since he doesn't have a RAR yet. They should be in the mail now and I have a VX2 3-9x40 with CDS in the mail headed here also.

Can't wait to wring it out with the suppressor.
I'm at 2.445 in my 22" all weather RAR w/ 75 Amax's at a light Kiss. Have heard longer and shorter - it all work's w/ Chaz's mag extension.

David
I bought another mag today,and had a box of 75 gr bullets up to the checkout,then remembered I cant use them yet. laugh
They'll be available soon....
I hear that depends on the quantity of Wild Turkey 101...
Quality and quantity may go hand in hand there...
Quality and quantity may go hand in hand there...
I can pour drinks and man the smoker to keep production up if need be... wink

Good luck on the venture.
You're arm will get sore...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You're arm will get sore...
I went to an all-male college and am married. That motion is one I can handle... wink

Looks like we'll be saying NO to the Pale Ale.
Ha! I don't serve white Russians either... wink

Im in for 2
I have been offline for almost a week, just got back from moving my wife to Austin. Shortactionsmoker and I have a pending agreement for him to purchase the entire manufacturing operation for these mods. The exact dates haven't been determined due to the holidays so please be patient, hopefully parts will be available in a few weeks.
Thanks Chaz.

Guys -- please don't start sending PM's yet for parts. I'll get a back order list from Cotis and we'll go from there.

It's going to take a little training and travel arrangements need to be made by others too. I assure you we'll kick these things out pretty quick. I'll start a new thread once production is up and running.

I may actually ship entire magazines in lieu of the extension part only. I'll post details as soon as possible.
chomping on the bit. grin

[Linked Image]
Firing up the machine right now to mold some parts while watching the football games today!
If you ever decide to go with more production in a much shorter time drop me
a PM

We have some small presses open
[Linked Image] laugh
Originally Posted by fluffy
[Linked Image] laugh

Mail was fast! Glad it got to you quickly....
got a box of 75 amax on the way from midsouth today. grin
I'm still in for two when they are ready to go.

Glad to see they are being made and getting out to folks.
I,m still in for 2 also.
Tag for updates...;)
Guys -- I'll let everyone know as soon as they're running. I'm about done with shows and traveling. I've been gone most of the year and I have two more to go.

I have the back order list from cotis and I'll be in touch soon.

I'll post a thread as soon as I'm producing them. Thanks for the patience and you'll hear from me soon!

One more request....please don't start sending PM's yet. When I post the new thread, I'll provide complete contact info and instructions. Thanks again!
Don't forget to let me know..
nice
^^^

any updates?

Mike
ttt
I am I the process of buying a RAR Predator. I will be very interested in this modification
BTT

Looking forward to be able to shoot 75 grain AMax from the 223 without feeding them singly.
Do you need a molder?

I bet we have some small machine time
I assure you they'll be pumped out before long. I'll start a thread when things progress. I doubt I'll just ship extensions though. I might want to test them in mag form before they hit the mail.
Sounds geat hope production goes well for you and they get out to us!
Any updates on the production?
I'll post a thread the minute we're ready to sell!....that I promise.

I'm going to sell entire mags in lieu of extensions. Each one needs a little hand fitting and I want o make sure everything is right before its shipped. Although most are capable of fitting, some aren't. My goal is first time quality.
What is "first Ike quality"?
Seafire is kindly letting me borrow one of his before I buy to try it out and see how I like it. There are some One-in-a-Million great guys here at the 'fire. I'll likely be in for at least one of the new mags when things get moving along.
TTT
^^^^
Bump
Ive been watching this and waiting

Whats the story?
Lots of obstacles. Compressor issues and am not going to sell just the extensions. It will be a complete magazine. LOTS of fitting to do on the extensions only.

Besides that, I'm in the middle of a room addition and a total shop renovation! The room addition is about done -- thank God.

I'm going on vacation next week and things will be rolling after I return. Actually, dad is going to make them for me. He'll be kicking them out daily. If I don't run into more issues, they'll be several ready by the end of July.
thx
Can you give us a status report on the magazine mods?
Yes...

The ram is stuck in the mold. I've had other projects that take priority over the mag mods. Things need to be fixed before its up and running.

I assure you I'll start a thread as soon as they're pumping out.
Thanks for the update!
So this is basically never going to happen and you have a $2,000 door stop....ohh the misery.

Mike
No. This simply means I have to fix a couple of things and I've had projects that take priority over a hobby!
Do you need a molder?
Is this still going on? I'd like to mod my .223 mag if still possible. Just let me/us know. smile
Working on getting a molder. The damn machine is still down. I assure you all I'll start a thread when this is up and running. Until then, nothing available....
Tag
Does anybody have information on Ruger American 223 magazine modification to shoot longer bullets yet? Or does anyone have these yet available to purchase someplace? Any help would be helpful.... Thanks
Originally Posted by cow2killer
Does anybody have information on Ruger American 223 magazine modification to shoot longer bullets yet? Or does anyone have these yet available to purchase someplace? Any help would be helpful.... Thanks

Look 2 threads up^ (maybe if he typed in fucqin spanish y'all would get the point). Damn, SAS is top notch and says what he means and delivers on what he says. Y'all need to leave him the hell alone!
Thanks ......????I can read , I was wondering if anyone else does, that post was from 10/19/2015 just looking for some help. I'm working on getting the gun to shoot the longer bullets before hunting season was over in February. I just found this site it sounded great ,it looked like I could get some help from experienced shooters. I thank you guys again.
SAS posted this in another thread recently. Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't take it to be encouraging on their availability.

As far as the mag mods go, the shop doesn't own the machine -- I do. The ram has been stuck in the mold since I got it and it doesn't work...period.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
SAS posted this in another thread recently. Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't take it to be encouraging on their availability.

As far as the mag mods go, the shop doesn't own the machine -- I do. The ram has been stuck in the mold since I got it and it doesn't work...period.

SAS would be better off getting a professional molder to make these mag modifications. However after talking to a guy I know in the injection molding businesses, there aren't enough pre-orders to come anywhere close to paying for start-up costs. Right now with the guys asking for it, you'd have to probably pre-order at $100 a magazine.
All you need is the removable end cap, right?

That seems like it would be a LOT less expensive to procure from a molder in a sizable order than an entire magazine.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

SAS would be better off getting a professional molder to make these mag modifications. However after talking to a guy I know in the injection molding businesses, there aren't enough pre-orders to come anywhere close to paying for start-up costs. Right now with the guys asking for it, you'd have to probably pre-order at $100 a magazine.

And you're 100% right! I've spoken with a couple of guys and the cost is astronomical. Not to mention the fact that the mold isn't 100% right and each extension has to be fitted and filed to work properly.

The ram is still stuck.....they'll be no extensions from me any time soon. Anybody want to buy the damn thing????
No....not really

I would start over 100%

I would build a 2 cavity mold with slides and use a horizontal molding machine

But a mold would cost 8k made in China and USA molding machine time is several hundred $$$ per hour plus materials

If I was to build the mold on my own time and buy materials it would still cost 2k

In my opinion my money wouldn't ever be made back not to mention pulling any decent margin

Would I do it?

Nope

I'm just going to make a new mag end out of brass...
Aluminum would be your best choice
Big Stick had a mod but I cant find it, he posted a pic.
He didn't make it...
What about a 3D printer? Anyone have experience with these?
Lots of experience with them

It's like anything else...if you want a good product it isn't cheap

Your typical 3D printers won't give you a smooth product and normally those using them lean toward ABS plastic....not great with the tabs on these end pieces...they will break

Nylon and higher end printers run up the price....and they are not fast either
Just shoot 40gr BTs. Haha
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Lots of experience with them

It's like anything else...if you want a good product it isn't cheap

Your typical 3D printers won't give you a smooth product and normally those using them lean toward ABS plastic....not great with the tabs on these end pieces...they will break

Nylon and higher end printers run up the price....and they are not fast either

The tabs on the mag extensions that I received from Chaz (Cotis) were not molded into the part, but were seperate pieces that were glued into slots in the mag extension. Don't know if that makes 3D printing any more viable, just throwing it out for discussion....

David
I don't have a RAR 308-family mag to try, but...

Can the 308 mag be modified to use longer 223 cartridges, or can the 308 end piece be used on the 223 front?
Originally Posted by cow2killer

It's easy... fill-n-mill.

I posted it here...

Fill-n-mill
Gonna do this tomorrow. ^^^^

Thanks 4th Point.
Just be careful with the tabs, other than that it's easy.
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I don't have a RAR 308-family mag to try, but...

Can the 308 mag be modified to use longer 223 cartridges, or can the 308 end piece be used on the 223 front?

Nope, got a 243 mag...

maybe if you single shot it...which I do alot... but its not an easy fix...

I do have one of the Cotis Mags...

had two, loaned one to a forum member in Montana to try out...

haven't heard from him since... so guess that one walked away...

kinda disappointing..
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Just be careful with the tabs, other than that it's easy.

Thanks 4th, I heated the mag up with a hair dryer, depressed only the left tab, took my time and she came right apart.

[Linked Image]

Mixed up the Steel Stick and got the compartments filled and I think it turned out okay.

[Linked Image]

Note to anyone else who chooses to do this. I filled all the compartments at one time. The epoxy only has a working time of 3-5 minutes and it got pretty sporty toward the end. If I were to do another I would take more time and just do one cell at a time. I might even consider using Marine-Tex instead for the viscosity. Just my .02 worth.

I will work on the milling part tomorrow. I don't have a drill press so that might get sporty too. cool

twofish
Good deal TwoFish. I drilled for a little bit, then switched to the 1/4" router bit in a Dremel tool. In one pic that I posted in that thread, you can see the bit and part number.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Good deal TwoFish. I drilled for a little bit, then switched to the 1/4" router bit in a Dremel tool. In one pic that I posted in that thread, you can see the bit and part number.

Did you use the Dremel freehand or in a fixture? You results from the other thread look great, and I'll be really impressed if it was done freehand.
It was done freehand. A mini-mill would be worth a shot if available.

The epoxy is easy to work and machines well, but is still pretty dang hard and sticks to the plastic.
So here is my end result. It turned out fine and feeding and chambering work great. I went a little deeper than planned as it was done freehand and no depth gauge and I got a little carried away.

75 Grain Amax loaded to kiss. COAL = 2.445" in modded and OEM mag.

[Linked Image]

Maximum COAL of modded mag would be 2.600".

[Linked Image]

Shot from rear to show ride height of modded and OEM mag.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, hope this will shed a little more light on the process. A total mag COAL of 2.500" would have worked fine but if there is ever a need I have even more latitude the way mine turned out.

twofish
Nice work twofish, and thanks for sharing your results.

I think I went ~2.45" with mine which was plenty to kiss the 75 AMAX in my 223. I got carried away trimming the walls, but it didn't affect function.

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks 4th, I figure if the mag depth is ever creates a feeding issue I will just pour a little marine-tex in the bottom and fill to whatever my desired depth is.

twofish
I did this today. Thanks for the info, pics and tips. It came out very well and feeds great. I have the 16" Ranch rifle in 5.56mm. It has a very long throat. I ended up at 2.589". The only hiccup came when I was doing the final cleanup before reassembly. I was blowing out the end piece and dropped it. It hit the floor and broke the left tab off. It stays together when it's in the magwell but once I'm sure it's right, I'll add a dab of super glue. I need to find a few more magazines to modify and I'll be good to go. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Bob
I busted a tab during disassembly. Emblem glue worked for me, shown in the pic above. I "think" it melts the plastic just a bit to help the bond, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Thanks 4th. I'll give that a try. I hope I have the follower assembled correctly. It feeds fine so far, but I don't remember it looking the way it does now. I'm waiting on another new one to arrive so I can compare them.

Bob
one still has to wonder why the hell the factory isn't making these as standard....
how does someone buy the piece?
Hi John

I won a RAR .223 compact at a raffle about 2 months ago.

Tell me the story with the magazines.

Jeff
Originally Posted by taylorce1

And you're 100% right! I've spoken with a couple of guys and the cost is astronomical. Not to mention the fact that the mold isn't 100% right and each extension has to be fitted and filed to work properly.

The ram is still stuck.....they'll be no extensions from me any time soon. Anybody want to buy the damn thing????

I'm still getting PM's about the extensions. The machine doesn't work. It hasn't worked since I've had it. I don't have any extensions...period.

In fairness to Cotis, it worked when he had it. He made several.

Something is broken or not working right with molder. The cylinder is locked down. I didn't build it, nor do I know anything about its inner workings.

If anybody wants to buy the molding machine and mold, I'll gladly sell it. $2500...that's what I paid and that's as low as I'll go. If you can fix it, you'll make it back in a day. It's too heavy to ship, so you'll need to come get it.

Hell, I'll even finance it. Pay me back out of sales -- I don't care. It just needs to be gone and in the hands of somone who can get it up and running.
is it a simple plastic injection mold? polypropylene?
Simple plastic injection mold....now that is the funniest thing I heard all day
Gotta say that, using 4th Point's tutorial, it was pretty easy to convert the standard mag to accommodate 2.5" plus.

Stop bugging poor SAS and roll your own!
© 24hourcampfire