Home
Can someone mike or caliper their RAR Predator Barrel .308 just behind the thread protector or other caliber RAR Predator at 18 inches? Because of course there are none to look at locally.

I want to see what the diameter at 18 inches is on the Predator vs the RAR Compact's barrel diameter, as I am going to hang a can on one and if there is enough xtra beef to the Predator I may go with it (but really prefer the all weather stainless RAR).

Thanks,

Jerry
223 Predator is .68" at 18".

[Linked Image]

Uh-oh...

Shane is in the RAR business? Where did you pick that one up?

Travis
Travis,

I ordered it through Davidson's, picked it up at Capital Sports.

There was a few RAR's in stock at Capital, but didn't see any RAPR's.

I just got this scoped up, and loaded up some VMax's in 40, 50, 53 gr, and 75gr BTHP for the maiden voyage.

I'm liking the overall rifle, even though the bolt's on the wrong side....grin
I bet you'll like it more after you shoot it. My 223 Predator did this with shots 5,6 and 7 out of the rifle. The group was shot at 100 with some 75 A-Max's I'd loaded for another rifle. They were jumping big too....like .025" IIRC.

For reference -- the light blue bull's eye circle is 1" in diameter.

[Linked Image]
That's easy to like, right out of the box.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Travis,

I ordered it through Davidson's, picked it up at Capital Sports.

There was a few RAR's in stock at Capital, but didn't see any RAPR's.

I just got this scoped up, and loaded up some VMax's in 40, 50, 53 gr, and 75gr BTHP for the maiden voyage.

I'm liking the overall rifle, even though the bolt's on the wrong side....grin

Bad ass. I need to get one.

Travis
Creedmore...
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Creedmore...

I have an awful lot of .308 schit laying around.

Travis
Gotcha..
Puny cartridges both. I'm sick of it! grin...
They need to do it in the 7-08...or at least a longer barrel 308.
Jerry, 0.737
admin100 - I have a .243 Predator on order ETA by months end. Question - are ALL Predator's set up for suppressors or just the .308? Homesteader
All are threaded.
The Predator is being made in 6.5 Creedmoor too.
Only the cool kids mention that..
homesteader, it is my understanding that they are all that way, but i could be wrong. on rugers website if you look at the spec sheet for the available calibers it is stating that they are all threaded.
Have the .308 RAR shawty in hand. I assume there will be a penalty in terms of recoil and muzzle blast from such a light handy piece, but I must say it really carries well. It's better than I anticipated. I might unfortunately end up owning more than one of these.
We're basically talking a magnum contour sporter barrel. It's not anything like a sendero contour, or even the savage medium contour on the precision carbine. I don't think the 18" .308 weighs any more than 6 lbs ... 6 1/2 at most.
The 308 Predator balances nicely. It's one of the rifles you pick up, hand to a buddy and say "check this out".

I've yet to hold one with glass atop, but the bare rifle has "the" feel. If Ruger was ever going to put sights on a rifle again, that would be the one.
tryin to make glass decision right now. It's gonna be leupold somethin or other ...
Thanks for the reply's.

Originally Posted by Homesteader
admin100 - I have a .243 Predator on order ETA by months end. Question - are ALL Predator's set up for suppressors or just the .308? Homesteader

According to Ruger's web-site all are threaded but only the 308 comes with an 18 inch barrel... the other calibers have 22 inch barrels, which is rather long if you plan on hanging a suppressor off the end.

Thanks,

Jerry
I believe all the Predators are threaded. My 223 is.
The 223 is threaded 1/2" 28 TPI, same as the AR15. That opens the door to a lot of muzzle devices
jerrywoodswalker- took delivery of my RAPredator yesterday and agree that the 22" barrel would be a tad long w/can attached. For grins I taped the core from a toilet paper roll on the end...it's looong! No 007 antics with that configuration LOL. Homesteader
I decided to sit on the fence for a while... Hoping they come out in stainless. Ruger customer service could not tell me if they were going to bring them out in stainless or not.

Homesteader... what caliber did you get? Most centerfire cans will be longer than a toilet paper roll (approx. 4 inches), most IIRC are 10 inches. Mine are shorties and are 7 inches long, try adding that to a 22 inch barrel.

Thanks,

Jerry
they need to do a .223 in the 18" barrel.
Dropped by the Best LGS Evah yesterday to see if there was any word on my T3 CTR's arrival date.

Nuttin, but the rifle loony owner handed me an American Predator .308 and I got lightheaded!

Then he offered me a bit off the sticker and I dang near snatched out my hidey hole money! If it had been a .260 or .223 shorty it would be on way to range right now!

I have a fantastic LTR .308, but may still grab that Predator. Ruger should bring it out in 8-twist .223 at 18-in. with a compact stock. It would be the Perfect Truck Gun!
the shawty feels real nice in the hands. for $350ish, its hard to go wrong.
I wish the creedmor was readily available!
Owner at BLGSE mentioned they had the 6.5CM Predators in stock. Hoping Stainless Compact Predators in all calibers will be announced soon.

Same trip I handled American Rimfire Compact Threaded .22 Magnum and that short stock is great. Need to find out if my suppressor can handle WMR.
WTFuccin' [bleep]? I haven't seen any of these things.

Travis
I've seen the 22, not the mag...
Saw dude buying a Threaded Compact Ruger .17HMR there two weeks ago and the .22 WMR in a floor rack the other day. It's a well-stocked store.

And my datgum Aviator is only rated for LR!
Great now I need a .223 and a 6.5CM RAR Predator. Bunch of enablers�.. laugh
Travis===>"WTFuccin' [bleep]? I haven't seen any of these things."

Have yet to see a Predator in person... only on-line pictures.

Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Saw dude buying a Threaded Compact Ruger .17HMR there two weeks ago and the .22 WMR in a floor rack the other day. It's a well-stocked store.

Didn't know the Rimfire American Rifle was available threaded... Going to have to look for this.

Jerry
FWIW, if any of ya'll are worried about being the 1st to own more than one of them, I've now got the TWO of these SOB's, the .223 and the shawty. the .223 is a bullet-launcher to attach to a 6x Uber Chicken.

It's an el cheapo platform, but awfully well thought-out for an el cheapo.
Here ya go: RAR Compact page

Wondering if the Shorty Predator would fit in a CF Compact stock...
© 24hourcampfire