Home
Posted By: bcraig Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Do the Burris quick detach Zee rings hold zero when taken off and put back on,can the pos-align inserts be used in them ?
I would also like some input from those who use them .
Pros and cons to them?And as compared to other rings,Weaver etc.

Thanks
Craig
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Haven't used the QD versions so can't say about return to zero but they will not take the posalign inserts. You have to go the the signature zee rings to get the inserts if you want a zee ring. I'm a big fan of the signature series of rings. No lapping, no ring marks, they hold great and you can use the inserts to establish a mechanical zero or build in some extra elevation if you like.

John
Posted By: bcraig Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Thanks,I have read that the Signature rings were great .
I guess all I need to do is get the Signature rings and the kit with the 3 inserts ?
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
The signature rings are any of the rings that use their inserts. They come in Redfield type with the windage adjustable bases, in dual dovetails and Zee Rings which attach to a weaver type base or a Picatiny rail. A scope mounted in Signature Zee rings can be removed and put back on and return to zero reasonably well. It is not a true quick release though�

John
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Originally Posted by bcraig
I guess all I need to do is get the Signature rings and the kit with the 3 inserts ?

You won't need the kit unless your mounting holes are drilled off center, or you need to add elevation for longer range. The kit allows you to center a scope that won't otherwise center, or add elevation.

The Signature Zee rings come with concentric inserts and attach to Weaver bases.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by bcraig

You won't need the kit unless your mounting holes are drilled off center, or you need to add elevation for longer range. The kit allows you to center a scope that won't otherwise center, or add elevation.

The Signature Zee rings come with concentric inserts and attach to Weaver bases.

Just trying to think ahead and figure if I am going to order the rings I might as well get the insert Kit so I will have it if I need it .
Dont suppose there is any issue with using steel rings on aluminum bases ?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Order the kit. And no, no problems.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Signatures are a great way to fly and I wish all Manufacturers offered rings that wore eccentrics. It is an unobtrusive way,to mechanically center a scope's windage and maximize it's elevation travel,if only because you have to arrange the first,to yield the latter.

Now that being said,Burris fasteners have been dog schit for decades and they continue that "honor". To further complicate matters,the Zee's are typically amongst the worst of their worst,in both sizing and "quality".

They ain't all that warm/fuzzy on a static system,which one hopes to leave alone and about the last choice as "QD's" go. If you're facinated with mounting glass,removing it and remounting it again,ala the Alabama/Texas Field Of Dreams Ploy...you will be farrrrrrrrr better served by sourcing a different route. The Zee's will puke in short order.

If you gotta [bleep] with schit in sucha manner,it's gonna be tough to trump Leupie PRW's,as they repeat exceptionally,as a function of their design,with it's beefy surface area and increased number/quality of fasteners. Their nomenclature is a misnomer and yet they're vastly superior mechanically,to their QRW lash-up,being more robust and far more unobtrusive.

Now if you were to cite the application particulars,it'd save a whole bunch of [bleep] around and you could be assured you rung the bell,right out of the [bleep] gate. So which receiver,stock and scope? Knowing that,you can have GPS coordinates to the Watering Hole.

Again,Zee's are absolute dog schit [bleep] junk,as a means of glass swappin'.

Hint.

(Addendum: for GPS coordinates)

You certainly don't want Zee's,scratch the notion.

Pretty much any base with a recoil cross-slot can be pressed into effective service and I've yet to puke a Weaver base,but they suffered soft fasteners for a goodly spell,which are easily upgraded and nudged to Torx.

There's about a bajillion cobbled Mousers on the Planet and lotsa schit don't align there,which very usually incorporates base holes. You may have the one and only,that's interfaced exceptionally,but odds are...you ain't.(grin)

So far and away the best melding of rugged/reliability,unobtrusive lines,quality fasteners and a viable means to chase concentricity woe(s),the DD Signatures are a very tough route to whoop. It'd certainly be my first move,because it's without compromise and you've 40MOA on tap,to chase concentricity with.

It'd of course be a 6x42 Show and better yet,wearing M1 ele. You'd then be capably armed to fend whatever is flung at you and be afforded the merits of a stree free mounted glass of repute,that's mechanically centered in it's saddle and leaving lotsa opportunity on the erector.

Shouldja' run into serious concentricity woe,you can always pad the base proper,to eek even more ele latitude.

[Linked Image]

There ain't a move you cain't make,with sucha system and it's ring spacing,conjoined with stress free tube alignment,will make huge strides in both the overall longevity of said glass,as well as it's zero retention. The upside being,there ain't NO downside.

Win/win.

See how easy it is?!?

You've been led to water.

Hint.(grin)

I am not real hung up on on swapping scopes just to be doing it.
Just a what if in case of scope failure I could have another one already zeroed to put on.
But the fact of the matter is I am going to have another rifle ready to go with me anyway so I think that is a non issue after all !
I am used to using Weaver rings and have no issues with them ,
Mainly asked just out of curiosity about the Zee rings as an alternative as I like the idea of the mechanical centering with the inserts.
I am going to be using a FN 1950 Mauser sporterized 30-06.
I may just use Weavers or what do you think about the Burris Signature rings in Leupold dual dovetail Bases?
More than likely be using a Leupold 4x32 or a Leupold 6x42 scope.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
I have used the dual dovetail signature rings and the offset kit to mount and site in my rifle while allowing the scope to remain pretty much optically centered. after first centering the scope adjustments via the mirror method I will then mount the scope in the concentric inserts first and with the rifle in the rest i'll look through the bore at a target 100 yrds away and then i'll check where my cross hairs are in relation to that. by determining how many inches they seem to be off I can pretty much figure which offset inserts to use and yes it takes some time and tweaking but in the end I end up using as few as just a couple clicks of the scopes adjustments to be sited in. I find the scopes performance at higher magnification in terms of brightness and resolution when it is pretty much still optically centered tends to be better. it works for me but I am sure there will be others that shake their heads no. granted these are hunting rifles and not target rifles. my scope stays stress free and ring marks are not an issue.
Originally Posted by Boxer
Signatures are a great way to fly and I wish all Manufacturers offered rings that wore eccentrics. It is an unobtrusive way,to mechanically center a scope's windage and maximize it's elevation travel,if only because you have to arrange the first,to yield the latter.

Now that being said,Burris fasteners have been dog schit for decades and they continue that "honor". To further complicate matters,the Zee's are typically amongst the worst of their worst,in both sizing and "quality".

They ain't all that warm/fuzzy on a static system,which one hopes to leave alone and about the last choice as "QD's" go. If you're facinated with mounting glass,removing it and remounting it again,ala the Alabama/Texas Field Of Dreams Ploy...you will be farrrrrrrrr better served by sourcing a different route. The Zee's will puke in short order.

If you gotta [bleep] with schit in sucha manner,it's gonna be tough to trump Leupie PRW's,as they repeat exceptionally,as a function of their design,with it's beefy surface area and increased number/quality of fasteners. Their nomenclature is a misnomer and yet they're vastly superior mechanically,to their QRW lash-up,being more robust and far more unobtrusive.

Now if you were to cite the application particulars,it'd save a whole bunch of [bleep] around and you could be assured you rung the bell,right out of the [bleep] gate. So which receiver,stock and scope? Knowing that,you can have GPS coordinates to the Watering Hole.

Again,Zee's are absolute dog schit [bleep] junk,as a means of glass swappin'.

Hint.

(Addendum: for GPS coordinates)

You certainly don't want Zee's,scratch the notion.

Pretty much any base with a recoil cross-slot can be pressed into effective service and I've yet to puke a Weaver base,but they suffered soft fasteners for a goodly spell,which are easily upgraded and nudged to Torx.

There's about a bajillion cobbled Mousers on the Planet and lotsa schit don't align there,which very usually incorporates base holes. You may have the one and only,that's interfaced exceptionally,but odds are...you ain't.(grin)

So far and away the best melding of rugged/reliability,unobtrusive lines,quality fasteners and a viable means to chase concentricity woe(s),the DD Signatures are a very tough route to whoop. It'd certainly be my first move,because it's without compromise and you've 40MOA on tap,to chase concentricity with.

It'd of course be a 6x42 Show and better yet,wearing M1 ele. You'd then be capably armed to fend whatever is flung at you and be afforded the merits of a stree free mounted glass of repute,that's mechanically centered in it's saddle and leaving lotsa opportunity on the erector.

Shouldja' run into serious concentricity woe,you can always pad the base proper,to eek even more ele latitude.

[Linked Image]

There ain't a move you cain't make,with sucha system and it's ring spacing,conjoined with stress free tube alignment,will make huge strides in both the overall longevity of said glass,as well as it's zero retention. The upside being,there ain't NO downside.

Win/win.

See how easy it is?!?

You've been led to water.

Hint.(grin)

Thanks,I have used the Leupold dual dovetails and rings on a Rem 700 7mm mag years ago(with a Leupold 6x36) and had no problems with them BUT I like the idea of the Signatures and Leupold Bases and 6x42 even more so Thats what its going to be.
Dont know bout the Mauser yet as I wont be able to get to gunshop till Monday(when Fed Ex delivers.
Hopefully it will be that ONE Mauser you speak of but if not sounds like the Signatures will handle it pretty well.
Another question for you,which height rings for the 6x42 and rifle combo I am going to do?
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I have used the dual dovetail signature rings and the offset kit to mount and site in my rifle while allowing the scope to remain pretty much optically centered. after first centering the scope adjustments via the mirror method I will then mount the scope in the concentric inserts first and with the rifle in the rest i'll look through the bore at a target 100 yrds away and then i'll check where my cross hairs are in relation to that. by determining how many inches they seem to be off I can pretty much figure which offset inserts to use and yes it takes some time and tweaking but in the end I end up using as few as just a couple clicks of the scopes adjustments to be sited in. I find the scopes performance at higher magnification in terms of brightness and resolution when it is pretty much still optically centered tends to be better. it works for me but I am sure there will be others that shake their heads no. granted these are hunting rifles and not target rifles. my scope stays stress free and ring marks are not an issue.

Thanks Jim
Posted By: GeoW Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
If you are partial to Chinese made stuff, they'll probably work for you..
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/21/14
Originally Posted by GeoW

Could you expand on that comment please. I'm not sure I follow you & would love to be enlightened. I am after all a very simple mind.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/22/14
I'm real happy with my chinese Leupold bino's.

Yo' 6x30s rock.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/22/14

Could you expand on that comment please. I'm not sure I follow you & would love to be enlightened. I am after all a very simple mind.

The rings are made in China. I understand.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/22/14
I've used them on a few rifles and a savage striker in 7-08 and had exe lent results and all have held their POI.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/24/14
I use the std zee rings on several of my rifles. They look nice and have always given me exemplary service.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/24/14
I just put the signature zee on my Anschutz 1422. So far so good. Absolutely no mount that I have tried locks up nicely with the Anschutz or CZ rails. These seem to have held their POI and have the added plus of supposedly not leaving rings on the scope.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/25/14

The rings are made in China. I understand.

Some are some aren't. I recently purchased a set of Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings which was marked "Made in china" in infinitesimally small font on the rear label of the bubble pack. Other packages of the same rings purchased earlier this year were not so labeled. One may conclude that new production of these rings is being shifted to China. I have not determined that the Signature Zee Rings are produced offshore. Burris was purchased by Beretta, so we can expect to find a shift to less expensive venues for manufacturing accessories with narrow profit margins. I recall also having another package of Burris rings with a very small "Made in China" or "China" sticker affixed to the package, but I couldn't find it just now to confirm the model. No matter, Burris Signature Rings and Zee Rings, are my favored rings for most uses. Being made in China is not a problem. Burris long ago began shifting scope production to Asia. Avoiding Chinese made products will leave us with very few choices as American made is becoming ever less competitive in the world market.

The difference between the Xtreme Tactical and Signature Zee Rings is that the Tactical rings have six screws per ring, lack the offset inserts, but allow quick removal from a rail without removing the cross screw, and use a hex head nut for precise torque settings. The Zee Rings are more conventional and better suited to a rifle where they will remain in place.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/25/14
The last three sets of Signature rings that I bought were made in China. When there is a choice I will not support the Communist Chinese..

The made in China label is small. I think they are ashamed to admit it..

Nice rifle, nice scope, held together by Chinese junk?

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Geo
Posted By: Ackman Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/25/14
The last three sets of Signature rings that I bought were made in China. When there is a choice I will not support the Communist Chinese..
Geo

Admirable of you to not buy Chinese.......but you bought 3 sets. You chose to support the Commies. Tell you what, check the clothes you're wearing. And go check the closet. Made in Vietnam, Bangladesh, China......... brands like North Face, Columbia, Descent, Eddie Bauer. Burris Signature rings are the deal no matter where they're made and until some other company starts making the same kind of thing..........
Posted By: GeoW Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/25/14
Not looking for admiration. The three sets were one purchase, comprender? smile

I had hoped it was old stock.

As I said, if I can keep from it I will not buy cheap imported crap.. but I won't buy the stuff with the union label either.

Geo
Posted By: Odessa Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/26/14
I stopped by a gun store in Fayetteville NC yesterday that stocks Burris products, to include Zee Rings; I've bought several sets there in the past (they have been good rings for me). Their Burris stock was mixed, some packages have a very small circular sticker on them marked "Made in China", some didn't - I assume they are in the change-over period now. Shame that another US maker of firearms accessories has been bought by a foreign company and moved off-shore.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/26/14

As I said, if I can keep from it I will not buy cheap imported crap.. but I won't buy the stuff with the union label either.

Geo

While I'm not a union worker, why wouldn't you buy a union made item? the fact that you wont is why so many of your choices will end up being from china or some other country. I do try to not buy from china when I have a choice, but to not buy a USA union made item if it is quality is almost hypocritical when you're saying not to buy from china. I just don't see it but hey in the end its your money.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/26/14
The reason the manufacturing moved to China is cheap labor... If anything, labor unions aren't about cheap labor and have put American manufacturing in a bad position, either stay here and go broke or move off shore, sell out to cheap Chinese labor and suffer the consequences down the road.

We are now owned by the Chinese...

geo
Posted By: Ringman Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/26/14
bcraig,

Dont suppose there is any issue with using steel rings on aluminum bases ?

That is the only way I do it.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/27/14
Well, it ain't just the unions. Gotta blame employment regulations, business regulations, zoning and building regulations, energy costs, taxes, environmental laws, insurance costs, and things beyond rationality. In California there was talk about emissions from bakeries polluting the air, you know that aroma of bread and pastries being baked. I can't recall if they regulated it and many small bakeries out of existence, but you get the idea.
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Burris Zee rings ?? - 06/27/14
GeoW - besides the issues of cheap Chinese labor and Union/Non-Union you've mentioned: one more thing. The Chinese will build anything to your specification(s) for the agreed upon price. BUT then they'll turn around COPY and counter-feit your product. You'll see your brand sold for less, have unexplained customer quality complaints until you learn you've been HAD. Leaves you wondering if going 'off-shore' was worth it. Homesteader
© 24hourcampfire