Home
Just put a 7mm Rem Mag T3 Fluted Superlight on layaway at my local Sportsman's...........amazing rifle, worst stock I've ever had the displeasure of looking at/feeling/handling. And here I thought my old Savage was bad.........LOL!!!! They really need to do something about that POS synthetic stock!!!!!! But I guess they have to cut costs somehow when selling at the price they do. So now I'm already looking for stock replacement ideas.

Anyone have suggestions, preferably with pictures???
Are you planning on selling the factory stock? I'm looking for one for my son's T3, I'm planning on having one cut down.

PM me if your looking to sell.
Originally Posted by Claybirds
Are you planning on selling the factory stock? I'm looking for one for my son's T3, I'm planning on having one cut down.

PM me if your looking to sell.

Depends on which route I take really. If I decide on a wood or laminate stock, no.......I'll keep it for my western mountains hunts. If going the way of composites, then yeah. Want to get input and pics first though, before deciding.
Take a look at the Bell & Carlson Medalist. I think there is a supplier called Red Hawk rifles that usually have them in stock and get them out pretty quick. B&C definitely heavier than the original but it's a good stock.
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
Just put a 7mm Rem Mag T3 Fluted Superlight on layaway at my local Sportsman's...........amazing rifle, worst stock I've ever had the displeasure of looking at/feeling/handling. And here I thought my old Savage was bad....

That Salvage stock IS a POS. The Tikka has, IMO, decent ergs, and the forearm is stiffer than a B&C. If you want real upgrade, get a McMillan.
John,

The Tikka stocks are far from the worst POS sticks that I have seen and owned. They are definitely more rigid than the Remington and Ruger stocks.... Not to mention some of the injection molded after markets.

I have 6 of the T-3 Stainless Lite rifles and have had zero problems with the stocks. Have a Remington 7 in a plastic stock that I can twist like a wet noodle.

I have the B&C Medalist on 2 rifles (not the Tikkas)... They are a good stock for the money in my opinion.

Best of luck,

Mike
The Tikka synthetic is probably the best of the factory synthetics. B&C would be a downgrade IMHO. The whole point of buying a Tikka, especially a superlight is to own a light rifle. Why put a heavy laminate stock on it. The B&C Medalist stocks are decent, but boat anchor heavy.
check out Manners Stocks - it seems they have Tikka's pretty well covered.

Randy
The Tikka synthetics are probably the best on the market. Light and stiff. The Savage is probably the worst. I think they melted down milk cartons to mold them.

Here is a Medalist:

[Linked Image]
Just put a 7mm Rem Mag T3 Fluted Superlight on layaway at my local Sportsman's...........amazing rifle, worst stock I've ever had the displeasure of looking at/feeling/handling. And here I thought my old Savage was bad.........LOL!!!! They really need to do something about that POS synthetic stock!!!!!! But I guess they have to cut costs somehow when selling at the price they do. So now I'm already looking for stock replacement ideas.

Since you do not have the rifle in hand yet and obviously have not shot it I suggest that you give the factory stock a try before condemning it. Regardless of your in-store impressions of it I think you will find that for a factory synthetic it is very stable and the ergonomics of it are really quite good. If it is lacking in one thing that would be that it needs a better recoil pad such as a Limbsaver or a Pachmyer.

Another point brought up in a previous post is - why buy a SuperLite and then handicap it with a heavier stock?

drover

Originally Posted by drover

Since you do not have the rifle in hand yet and obviously have not shot it I suggest that you give the factory stock a try before condemning it. Regardless of your in-store impressions of it I think you will find that for a factory synthetic it is very stable and the ergonomics of it are really quite good. If it is lacking in one thing that would be that it needs a better recoil pad such as a Limbsaver or a Pachmyer.

Another point brought up in a previous post is - why buy a SuperLite and then handicap it with a heavier stock?

drover

I must admit, I'm more taken aback by the looks more than anything........LOL!!! Besides, gives me an excuse to buy a different stock for eastern tree stand hunting and range use, (preferably a nice wood or laminate). Then when it's time to go out west climbing up mountains for elk or mulies, I'll slap on the lighter OEM synthetic.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The Tikka synthetics are probably the best on the market. Light and stiff. The Savage is probably the worst. I think they melted down milk cartons to mold them.

Here is a Medalist:

[Linked Image]

Nice rig, my 300 Win sits in the same B&C...7.5lbs with VX3 3.5x10 and sling. Shoots extremely well and just feels right to me
Pretty sure the B&C stocks weigh the same(ish) as the Boyds laminates. My T3 .243 weighs 7lbs 8oz wearing 2-piece DNZs and a 4-12 Mark AR.
I have a McMillan on order, but I have no complaints with the B&C. Hell, I might just keep the B&C and sell the McMillan when it finally shows up.

Dibs on the B&C if you decide to trip it....
Both B&C's I purchased weighed 2 lbs even, weighed on 2 diff scales...not much more than the OEM
I don't really like the looks of the Tikka stocks but they certainly have no impact on their ability to produce very tiny groups. Buying a new stock would have to be more for looks and feel than peformance.
Have a manners on my T3 lite that I like a lot. I'll grab a picture soon.
Anyone else with pics?
I have 2 t3's with McMillan stocks. Very nice guns. First one is a 300 wsm powder coated with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 and weighs 7.3 lbs and the 2nd is 270 wsm super lite with the twin stock to my 300 with 4.5-14 zeiss and it weighs 7.0 lbs. McMillan are by far your best investment for the tikka .
Originally Posted by 243Win
I have 2 t3's with McMillan stocks. Very nice guns. First one is a 300 wsm powder coated with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 and weighs 7.3 lbs and the 2nd is 270 wsm super lite with the twin stock to my 300 with 4.5-14 zeiss and it weighs 7.0 lbs. McMillan are by far your best investment for the tikka .

Yeah, and if I do go this route, I'll sell the factory stock.
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Take a look at the Bell & Carlson Medalist. I think there is a supplier called Red Hawk rifles that usually have them in stock and get them out pretty quick. B&C definitely heavier than the original but it's a good stock.

My T3 Lite in 270 bedded in a B&C Medalist weighs in just north of 8 pounds with Talleys and a FX2 3x9.

It shoots most anything I feed it into an inch, but my handloads with 140 ABs seems to be what I have settled on.

[Linked Image]

Another pic:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 1Deernut

My T3 Lite in 270 bedded in a B&C Medalist weighs in just north of 8 pounds with Talleys and a FX2 3x9.

It shoots most anything I feed it into an inch, but my handloads with 140 ABs seems to be what I have settled on.

[Linked Image]

Another pic:

[Linked Image]

I like that!!!
I have a 30-06 Superlight and I think it is one of the finest rifles under $700. Compare it to other stocks and only Browning comes close. I put custom Tallys from 24hr Campfire, Limbsaver recoil pad, and dialed down the trigger to 2lbs.
Sweet Rifle!
drover - +1 on your advice. I thought about changing the Tikka OEM syn stock but opt'd for a better recoil pad. Worked like a charm. Homesteader
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

[Linked Image]

Another pic:

[Linked Image]

I have laminated 270 with a Lumley bolt shroud , dnz rings and a zeiss conquest 3-9x40 mounted and it weighs 8lbs 2.2 ounces all up. I need to weigh this laminated stock and find out exactly what it weighs. Has to be less then the medalist.
The Medalists aren't heavy. They aren't an "Edge" but still not bad. My Tikka with a Medalist, 20MOA rail, and 30oz Nightforce is only 8lbs, 12oz.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The Medalists aren't heavy. They aren't an "Edge" but still not bad. My Tikka with a Medalist, 20MOA rail, and 30oz Nightforce is only 8lbs, 12oz.

Hmmm..I will have to weigh the laminated stock ...the darn thing is so nice I will put it in the safe and use a medalist if it weighs much less. If I really wanted to put it in a lightweight it would be the new Manners stock

You may want to wait. Bought my son a T3 in 06, recoil is considerably less than my other 06s in Sako, Savage, and even my G & H, so they did something right.
Anyone else with pics?

[Linked Image]

All Sako classic's....Coyote Bomber,McFlame, McEdge grin
© 24hourcampfire