Home
Posted By: BlackHunter Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
I just found a Marlin XL7 LH in 30-06 at a superb price. Can anyone tell me about them ? Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
The right handed ones I have owned all shot extremely well. If you don't like the caliber you can swap barrels easily with the pre-fit Savage ones I believe.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
I've had two of them in .270 and they were both really accurate.
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
An excellent gun for the money. Certainly one of the best entry-level rifles out there.

The only reason you might want to pass on it, is if you aren't left-handed. I pass up good deals on left-handed guns frequently, for that reason.

If it fits your needs and you like it, I would run (not walk) and grab it.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
I have one in 223 that I use for my truck/atv gun. Very accurate for a $300 rifle
Posted By: NTG Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
Great gun...but it!
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
Originally Posted by NTG
Great gun...but it!

But it what?
Posted By: trailrider121 Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
Interesting, I didn't know they made left handed rifles. Great rifles for the money.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
I didn't know they made LH rifles either and I'm left handed. Thank for your responses.
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/12/14
BlackHunter - if it was made in New Haven, CT. you probably have a winner in the "less expensive" rifle category ... nothing is "cheap" anymore. IMO - Marlin refined the cost cutting engineering process begun by Mossberg and Savage w/o making a poorly functioning/looking rifle. After the Marlin New Haven plant closed I can't comment. They lost a lot of experienced workers and it showed on new products made elsewhere. My NH .243W XS7C is accurate (sub /to 1 MOA IF I do my part). BTW - check MarlinOwners.com forum for further details. Homesteader
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
Homesteader - thank you very much for the information. Many thanks to you and all that responded.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
Picked up a slightly used XL7 in .270 for grand daughter in the past year. Easily MOA with my standard .270 practice load. Dropped it into a Boyd's laminate stock with the LOP shortened down to 12.5". A pink sling. GTG for KY Whitetails this year...
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
What should the going price be for a lightly used one with a mounted Bushnell Banner 3-9?

Thanks to all for the responses.
Posted By: Darkker Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
I bought an XL7 in 25-06 that I recently turned into a Creedmoor. A brother-in-law has a newer Remington version, can't tell a difference.
They take the same thread barrels as Savage pre-fits.

My stock rifle was a nice shooter, chipper fouled like crazy but didn't affect groups.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
My son picked up a .270 with 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution for les than $300. Super shooter. Not aware they come left handed.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
I picked up a camo stocked 243 for a friend last summer. It was like new with a Swift scope for $250.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/13/14
Originally Posted by Mike_S
My son picked up a .270 with 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution for les than $300. Super shooter. Not aware they come left handed.

That's because they don't.
Posted By: trailrider121 Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/14/14
I really like to customize my X rifles. They are pretty good in stock form, when properly setup right, they really can shoot very well.

Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/14/14
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Mike_S

That's because they don't.

Moosemike -

You are correct. The info about the rifle that was given to me was not correct. I called the store (4 hours away) this morning - and found out that the rifle they had for sale is RH. My thanks to you and all for your responses.
Posted By: huffmanite Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/14/14
Own three of the Marlin X rifles: a 308 heavy varmit barrel, 7mm-08 and the 25-06 that I've recently rebarreled to 7x57. Each have shot well for me.

The 25-06 was my first one and it was made in the Marlin plant in Conn. Other two were made in the Mayfield, Ky plant. I had the 25-06 rebarreled several weeks ago simply because I wanted another cartridge to shoot in the Marlin that I preferred. As for the 308 heavy barrel Marlin, I will shorten the 26" 308 heavy barrel a couple of inches simply because the lands at end of barrel had a problem.....not nice to see copper stripes across the lands instead of running along them. This rifle had to be one of the early rifles coming out of the Mayfield plant. Actually shot pretty decent for accuracy, but after shortening the barrel it may be my most accurate rifle now and I own a fair number of decent shooting rifles. No problem with the Mayfield made 7mm-08, shoots well.

I and anyone I've crossed paths with at range I'm a member that has a Marlin X rifle, thinks well of the Marlin X. One member in particular shoots competition and doesn't mind putting money into a custom benchrest rifle. Think he owns several Marlin X rifles too....he doesn't care much for the stock, but loves how well they shoot.
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/15/14
I really like mine in 243/308. Love the light weight and trigger is fine once adjusted. My 243 will shoot better than any other rifle I have owned.
Posted By: kecatt Re: Marlin XL7 - 07/16/14
Saw one today at Scheels for $199. It was chambered in .270 Win.
© 24hourcampfire