Home
Posted By: 1tnhunter New rifle - 08/28/14
Ok guys I'd appreciate some input. I buying a new rifle and I'm flip flopping on the chambering. I'm back and forth between the 243 and 7mm08. I mainly hunt whitetail in TN. But I also have the opportunity to go to Idaho and hunt elk. Elk will not be a regular thing,might only do it once!
Also wouldn't mind doing another black bear hunt or two.
Lets assume I'm a decent shot,and willing to wait for the right shot opportunity to present itself and I know the animals anatomy.Which would you choose?????
Posted By: 16bore Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
Go big or go home.
I'm sure there will be lots of posts that a 243 can do elephants but I for one would be much more comfortable hunting elk with a 7mm over a 6mm any day no matter how much powder was pushing it. Just my opine and it's free so you know what it's worth.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by 16bore

Spilt the difference! I've thought about it but gonna stick with either the 6 or 7MM
Posted By: KH1473 Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
7-08 AI
Posted By: CLB Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
My choice is 7-08 but I favor anything in 7mm. Realistically, any shortie with a .473 bolt face will work. Plenty of great killing bullets in.243 cal if that is your choice.
Posted By: ingwe Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
7-08
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
Think bullets first.

Hint...............
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Think bullets first.

Hint...............

I did......6MM 105 AMAX.......7MM 162 AMAX. Been wanting to fool with both!
Posted By: Fotis Re: New rifle - 08/28/14
7mm 162 gr

Never bounced of anything
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Definatly the 7 08
Posted By: HighRoad Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
You'll love the 7-08.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Think bullets first.

Hint...............

I did......6MM 105 AMAX.......7MM 162 AMAX. Been wanting to fool with both!

Next move is to think twist rate,throating and COAL..................
Posted By: BobinNH Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Ok guys I'd appreciate some input. I buying a new rifle and I'm flip flopping on the chambering. I'm back and forth between the 243 and 7mm08. I mainly hunt whitetail in TN. But I also have the opportunity to go to Idaho and hunt elk. Elk will not be a regular thing,might only do it once!
Lets assume I'm a decent shot,and willing to wait for the right shot opportunity to present itself and I know the animals anatomy.Which would you choose?????

This is too simple. smile
Posted By: utah708 Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Only you can't really answer the question as posed--that violates the campfire's Prime Directive.

I recommend a 7mm short mag.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New rifle - 08/29/14

Yikes! You must think highly of the 243. I think of 243's for elk like Americans drinking warm German beer. You gotta have a taste for it, and you gotta want it.

A std twist rate is going to either give you hunting bullets of up to 100gr, or up to 175 with the 7. Give in to peer pressure: 7-08 is the new drunk cheerleader at the party.
Posted By: ingwe Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by utah708
Only you can't really answer the question as posed--that violates the campfire's Prime Directive.

In that case�7x57�.duh�..
Posted By: bangeye Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
7-08. Most definitely. The 243 is a great round but for the hunting you listed I just think the 7mm is the way to go.
Posted By: mathman Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Yikes! You must think highly of the 243. I think of 243's for elk like Americans drinking warm German beer. You gotta have a taste for it, and you gotta want it.

I've consumed a good bit of beer in a number of places in Germany, and it isn't served warm. The beer in Bavaria makes it clear how crappy American mass market beer is.

Back on topic, I'd rather whack an elk with the 7mm08.
Posted By: smokepole Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by ingwe

Do they still make those? Are they loading smokeless in 'em yet?
I fart in your general direction!
Posted By: 16bore Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
108 Scenar, .465
123 Amax, .510
140 Booger if your twisted right, .612
Posted By: pahick Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Screw it, odd man out. Go 243. 'Specially if you fffuck a monkey after drinkin a jug.....wait, maybe you do the monkey before you drink the jug.....which is it Stick, cant remember laugh
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Twist rate: in 243 9 in 708 9.5 am I thinking right?
Twist rate,throat and COAL vary by Rifle Make.

Hint................
Posted By: KH1473 Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
7-08 Montanee is a 9 twist
Thinking bout Ruger All Weather ,their 243 has a 9 twist and the 7mm a 9.5. How do know what the COAL is,most manufactures don't list it. Also thinking bout the Tikka SS but not if i go 243.

A std twist rate is going to either give you hunting bullets of up to 100gr, or up to 175 with the 7. Give in to peer pressure: 7-08 is the new drunk cheerleader at the party.

It isn't served warm now. I wasn't referring to the beer that is served, I was was referring to those who want warm German beer. They likely drink in very small groups, of not alone.
I'm open to suggestions on rifle manufacturers. Kimber is out of my price range. Like to keep it around $750.
Go with your Ruger 77 idea�.
Leaning heavily toward it!
Posted By: KH1473 Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Shot a friends all-weather hawkeye in 243 last week, handled nicely. I'm sure 7-08 would be the same
Originally Posted by KH1473
Shot a friends all-weather hawkeye in 243 last week, handled nicely. I'm sure 7-08 would be the same

smile
I'm open to suggestions on rifle manufacturers. Kimber is out of my price range. Like to keep it around $750.

In that case, wait for a Dick's ADL special and have some change left for glass....
Wasn't to impressed with my last Rem.
Looks like a Ruger or Tikka in 7-08....
Yeah looking like Ruger
Posted By: rta48 Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Both will serve your needs. The Ruger will give you more room to work COAL.

The .284 is never a bad answer for your specified requirements.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
If u are mainly gonna hunt deer, especially TN deer go 243 with quality bullets. If elk is truly a option and in the near future go 7-08. Not saying 243 won't do the job on elk, just that the extra bullet mass would be very handy. I personally love the 243 and other 6mm calibers pick your rifle carefully and pay close attention to twist rate. I would say buy a used remington 700 or model 7. Why no interest in the 260? 6.5's do good schitt, and gives you best of both worlds.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
I'd not hesitate to hunt with either given good bullets.

Why do you "want" the 243 but yet feel "compelled" to get the 7-08? If it were me, I'd get what I wanted, not what I might/maybe/possibly "need" in the future.

Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision.

Rat hole the 750,until you can do it right...which means Montucky...............
Posted By: geedubya Re: New rifle - 08/29/14

Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision.

Rat hole the 750,until you can do it right...which means Montucky...............

not necessarily

[Linked Image]

I will agree with the don't get in a hurry and save part,

and

pre-enjoyed Sakos can be found with a little looking, many times for less and with Sakos, you're typically not playing Kimber-roulette, as the Sakos tend to be shooters.

Best,

GWB

PS: Of the two, IMHO, the 7-08.
Posted By: NTG Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
The 7-08 can do what a 243 can do, but it doesn't work the other way around IMO. 7-08 is more versatile.
Posted By: sandpit Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Originally Posted by mathman

I've consumed a good bit of beer in a number of places in Germany, and it isn't served warm. The beer in Bavaria makes it clear how crappy American mass market beer is.

Back on topic, I'd rather whack an elk with the 7mm08.
yea,what he said
Posted By: TATELAW Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
I do some deer hunting with 22CFs so I'm not opposed to big game hunting with smaller calibers and good bullets. That being said, if I ever get the chance to hunt elk, I probably won't take my 243. I don't own a 7-08(a cartridge I definitely want to try out some day), but I think my 280 would be up to the task.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New rifle - 08/29/14
Buy one of each.

See,that was easy.
Nothing Sako can begin to hang with a Montucky,in regards to a hard use Utility Rifle...nor even close. If only obviously.

Now for Haybale & Crocket Fence Hopping Golf Cart Safari's,there ain't much that matters,which in fairness probably does add to that humor.

Just saying...............
Originally Posted by NTG
The 7-08 can do what a 243 can do, but it doesn't work the other way around IMO. 7-08 is more versatile.

I'd not point one diameter,at something I wouldn't the other.

I'll feign my "surprise",that no one has mentioned a particular bullet...but the gals have gone nuts with headstamp fixations.

Hint.................
TAINT,

Fingers are crossed,that your Big Dreams come true.

Laughing..............
Yeah. I agree with Stick. However you are doing it, you're wrong. All of you. Morons. Wrong, morons.
Facts are facts...no need to Whine about it.

Just kidding...I enjoy a GOOD Whine.

Laughing!...............
Yeah. I agree with Stick. However you are doing it, you're wrong. All of you. Morons. Wrong, morons.

yeah buddy,

course we are...........

a $500 Browning (in 7-08 of course) back in the day.

[Linked Image]

guess I could have paid more for 243 Win. with a synthetic stock,

but I can be happy......... with a 7-08 if I put my mind to it.

JAFO,

GWB

Sunshine,Fences and Golf Carts...are not the foundations of a Utility Rifle critique.

That won't "surprise"many folks and NONE with a clue..................(hint)
Sunshine,Fences and Golf Carts...are not the foundations of a Utility Rifle critique.

That won't "surprise"many folks and NONE with a clue..................(hint)

BS,

IIRC, the OP was asking what caliber,

Not what iteration makes the best boat anchor!!!

JAFO,

GWB
Thus the early mention of a particular bullet. Hint.

Your inability to keep pace,is HILARIOUS!...............
Remington catalogs the .284 150 Core-Lokt as a component. Deadliest mushroom in the woods! They're really magic mushrooms. You shoot something, it dies instantly, and then it is magically resurrected, gets up, and runs off. That way, your hunt doesn't end at the shot, and you can go through the fun over and over again.

Core-Lokt!
Posted By: DANL2 Re: New rifle - 08/30/14
First, will you be reloading or shooting factory ammo? There is more factory ammo variety available in .243. Incidentally, .243 (6mm) is the minimum bullet size allowed for big game in Colorado.

If you are reloading, and considering the Tikka T3 Lite, then I would suggest you consider the 26-06. The T3 only comes in long action so you might as well take advantage of it. And, the 25-06 will have somewhat lower recoil than 7mm-08, which is important in a lightweight rifle, but has more punch than the .243. In fact, recoil might suggest the .243 in any case.

For elk, .243 is adequate with correct bullet, distance and shot selection. More on this if anyone is interested.

Dan

Posted By: 1Nut Re: New rifle - 08/31/14

This. And learn to reload. 7-08 is good. Either better than a .243 on stuff larger than a whitetail.

But as BS hinted, it's all in the bullet. High BC delivered first class out a fast twist tube.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Elephant was not mentioned...
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Buy a 7-08. It's almost as good as a 7x57 cool
Posted By: 16bore Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

This. And learn to reload. 7-08 is good. Either better than a .243 on stuff larger than a whitetail.

But as BS hinted, it's all in the bullet. High BC delivered first class out a fast twist tube.

....and if you don't reload, 308. And if you've never loaded, but plan too, prepare to spend some coin and a later bedtime. Upside is you'll shoot twice as much.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
If a guy ain't thinking bullets first,he's gonna come in last.

Heard yet another TRIUMPHANT A-Max recounting yesterday...that'll rewrite THE Book....................
Posted By: geedubya Re: New rifle - 08/31/14

Well heck,

guess I best go back to the drawing board.

[Linked Image]

here I wuz, all set up with an illuminated scope, WAM-less mounts, synthetic stock, stainless barrel,

chambered for 358 Winchester in a 700 Mountain rifle, Pac-Nor 1 in 14 twist and 200 Gr. Hornadys @ 2,450 FPS.
Seemed like a perfect dark-thirty hoglet thumper for shots under 200 yds.

Oh well,

JAFO,

GWB

Originally Posted by geedubya

Well heck,

guess I best go back to the drawing board.

[Linked Image]

here I wuz, all set up with an illuminated scope, WAM-less mounts, synthetic stock, stainless barrel,

chambered for 358 Winchester in a 700 Mountain rifle, Pac-Nor 1 in 14 twist and 200 Gr. Hornadys @ 2,450 FPS.
Seemed like a perfect dark-thirty hoglet thumper for shots under 200 yds.

Oh well,

JAFO,

GWB

Nice rig GW-- for EXACTLY what you want to do with it. Certainly would not be my "all round, do everything" choice. 'Hoglets' at 200? No problem, with lots to spare.
Stupid is never smart...................
Posted By: geedubya Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

Nice rig GW-- Certainly would not be my "all round, do everything" choice.

No problem.
IIRC, I have a couple others from which to choose.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: ddurst Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Hey Big Stick..............
GFY
Hint
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
.243 or 7-08 for elk? Give me the 7-08 any day.
Originally Posted by ddurst
Hey Big Stick..............
GFY
Hint

Sweetheart,

You'll do well to remember to start with phuqqing yourself...if only because you WILL get more pussy that way.

Congratulations?..................
Posted By: Fotis Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Sakos are great guns.
Posted By: DANL2 Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
I have been considering a new Sako Finnlight in .243 but have a concern with their scope mounting system. Beretta does not import the one-piece Optilock Ring Mount in stainless!

The scope will be a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm and I want a lightweight low mount. With a Tikka, the solution is simple: a one-piece DNZ low would do quite nicely.
Posted By: Fotis Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Both fine rifles that are proven. Smart move.
Originally Posted by Fotis
Sakos are great guns.

Elder are solid,though compromised by Blued/Walnut. The new schit sucks ass..............
Posted By: DANL2 Re: New rifle - 08/31/14
Big Stick: You been drinkin' today?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
You Stupid Phuqqers are a hoot!

OptiLock's suck ass and so do DNZ's.

Hint...............

Posted By: 16bore Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
DNZ be the shizza yo!

Oh, wait, that's DMX. Nevermind......
I'm fortunate,in that Clueless Dumbphuqqers line up around the block,to "tell" me stuff.

Funny schit!.................
Posted By: DANL2 Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
Sure 'nuff, Big Stick's been drinkin' today! Have another 'un, it'll help you think better.
Posted By: drover Re: New rifle - 09/01/14

Since you are from Tennessee and this will probably only be a one time thing for you I recommend that you go with the 7/08. The 243 will do but it demands a perfect shot, if it hits a rib or shoulder bone chances are your elk is gone off to become wolf bait. The 7/08 is a lot more cartridge then going up one mm diameter would suggest, it will allow a little more leeway for a less than perfect shot placement and it hits considerably harder, take a look at the energy figures between the 243 and 7/08.

drover
I'm afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

You Turd Polishing Clueless Phuqqs are a hoot.

Server is slow,or I'd fuel your Imagination...just to hear your OptiLock Whine.

Laughing!....................
Finally loaded.

Phony phuqqing pieces of schit.

[Linked Image]

Hint................
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
Finally loaded.

[Linked Image]

Hint................

...damn...

Might I ask what that particular set of rings did to deserve being pretzeled?
Posted By: Mike_S Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
Finally loaded.

[Linked Image]

Hint................

So did you buy those to destroy to make a point?
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
The wounded persona has a tendency to relate positively to destruction. It feels 'right' to break things, or attack people. Trauma-based history is a given, usually during early developmental stage 0-4yo. This has to be reinforced by the environment as one develops into an adult, of course. Generally, patterned abuse or abandonment from caregivers.

The wounded persona both relates to a world that is perceived as hostile with hostility as a coping mechanism, and has deep anger that feeds and justifies this behavior. It is a tragic thing, and can be correlated with just about all of the ills in this world today.
Big Stick,
What do you not like about DNZ mounts, especially for a non-mag round?
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
Save your pennies for a Montana. Only I'd go 308. If your still dreaming of a 243 or 708, run some lightweight Barnes or Ballistic Tips.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
That's very good HuntnShoot. I like your thinking.

What can we do about the situation to improve things?

Taconic11,

Thank you for your reply. The original question came from 1tnhunter.

I am looking for a new .243 and will take a look at the Montana. Apparently they sold out to Remington who will move the operation to Alabama. It sounds like the original owners may try to start a new operation in Montana.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
Early in this post Stick said you got to think bullets...I was. The bullets I was thinking of are Hornady A-Max's.

Now heres my question ..,according to Hornadys website the 243 105g A-Max has a BC 500 & an SD of 254.
The 308 168g A-Max has a BC 475 & SD of 253.

Now I know the 30cal creates a bigger wound channel bot it just doesn't seem enough to make it a better killer.Am I wrong??

The 284 in 162 A-Max seems to be head & tail better than both with a BC 625 & SD 287. So is the 7MM the best of the lot?

I'm ONLY talking about "A-Max" Bullets!!!!!

Posted By: Taconic11 Re: New rifle - 09/01/14
DANL2- I was just adding to the original post & not answering directly to you. Montana? I meant a Kimber Montana, and I don't think that they have sold out to Remington.
OptiLocks are dogschit junk.

Hint................
It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you please.

The less one "does",the "better" all goods "are".

Laughing!................
You'd do well to shut the phuqq up,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

Here's to the hilarity of you being devoid those abilities.

Laughing!................
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Save your pennies for a Montana. Only I'd go 308. If your still dreaming of a 243 or 708, run some lightweight Barnes or Ballistic Tips.

I hear good things................
Early in this post Stick said you got to think bullets...I was. The bullets I was thinking of are Hornady A-Max's.

Now heres my question ..,according to Hornadys website the 243 105g A-Max has a BC 500 & an SD of 254.
The 308 168g A-Max has a BC 475 & SD of 253.

Now I know the 30cal creates a bigger wound channel bot it just doesn't seem enough to make it a better killer.Am I wrong??

The 284 in 162 A-Max seems to be head & tail better than both with a BC 625 & SD 287. So is the 7MM the best of the lot?

I'm ONLY talking about "A-Max" Bullets!!!!!

It's always ALL about bullets. Hint.

SD is a moot designator,denoting nothing that bears fruit. Hint.

A Vanilla 243 will scoot the 105 at 3000fps. You gotta add much more case capacity,to squirt the 168'Max at that speed and even once you do,it drops,drifts and slows faster. Hint.

The 162 is a phenom and I hear good things...................(grin)
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
Question answered ....thanx
Posted By: Big Stick Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
The Hornie HPBT is slicker yet and will scoot just as fast.

The beauty of the 162,is the colossal BC,so one can trade speed in extrapolation and yet still yield SINISTER results.

It's ALL about bullets..............

Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
What about interbonds,ya fool with them at all?
Of course.

Junk................
Posted By: tedthorn Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
Both being 2.8's the last question is for the local warden of your cloud 9 elk state

Is a 6 legal in this dream

If not then you didn't need help past that
Posted By: moosemike Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
I must not have the secret decoder ring.
Couldn't fathom asking which diameter I could shoot...................
Posted By: DANL2 Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
For big game in Colorado- .24 and up, 70grn or larger bullet/ minimum of 1000 ft/lbs at 100 yards
I could give a phuqq about what some Window Licking Bean Counter thought and would simply roll,as per whim.

Might even build schit with "wrong" barrel stamps,just for giggles..............
Posted By: goalie Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
I could give a phuqq about what some Window Licking Bean Counter thought and would simply roll,as per whim.

Might even build schit with "wrong" barrel stamps,just for giggles..............

You sound like a poaching POS. The "wrong" barrel stamp part makes you sound like a poacher that isn't even halfway intelligent.

I guess that isn't really surprising.

Funny schit!

All of my 7-08's have 308 headstamps too.

How big do you figure that Poaching Ticket to be?!?

You Clueless Whining Kchunts are a riot!.............
Posted By: goalie Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
Funny schit!

All of my 7-08's have 308 headstamps too.

How big do you figure that Poaching Ticket to be?!?

You Clueless Whining Kchunts are a riot!.............

1. Head-stamp is different than stamping the barrel incorrectly, which is what you said you would do.

2. You're obviously the expert poacher, you tell me

I think I'll have my 6BR stamped "375H&H Ackley Improved"...just to give you Whining Kchunts,a little more to Whine about.

Laughing!..................
Posted By: DANL2 Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
Get checked in Colorado and you will find out about tickets and poaching costs.

Posted By: Mike_S Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
I think I'll have my 6BR stamped "375H&H Ackley Improved"...just to give you Whining Kchunts,a little more to Whine about.

Laughing!..................

Come on stick even you have to say that is stupid.
Explain "THE Check".

You Clueless Kchunts are a hoot!.................
You're Whining already.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

What WON'T you Pussies Whine about?..................
It's actually a 88 Magnum!

Laughing...................
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
Originally Posted by DANL2
Get checked in Colorado and you will find out about tickets and poaching costs.

I've hunted Colorado big game since 1985. Only checked one time. I had a muzzleloader tag and the game warden stopped. He asked to see my license. I asked if he needed to see the gun, etc and he said "nope." and drove away.

In Colorado it is illegal to use Sabots, pelleted powder, and scopes with your muzzy. I might as well have been packing a 50BMG instead.
These Window Licking Clueless Phuqqs are a HOOT!................
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: New rifle - 09/02/14
I'm waiting for our fearless parks and wildlife to impose a range restriction during hunting season. I am sure some woman democrat has thought about it already because today's guns aren't fair.

These STUPID Phuqqers here,doing their "best" as they Post,fancy themselves as being "gunny".

Too phuqqing funny!...................
© 24hourcampfire