Home
Posted By: JeffG 270 WSM, do you still love 'em? - 10/01/14
I was just re-reading this old thread and was wondering if all your enthusiasm has waned..or, do you still love your 270WSM?
I'm stoked about the Montucky I just got, but haven't put a single round down the tube. Kissing lands well shy of the mag box is a good start. 129LRX at 3,300 and I'll be grinning ear to ear...
Absolutely love mine, a Vanguard action with PacNor barrel, Timney trigger, and McMillan Edge stock, bedded and free floated. This rifle really likes Nosler E-tip 130 gr. bullets, pushed along at 3300 fps.

A better long-range mule deer rifle, in a light, balanced package, is hard to come by.......
Yep. Sako A7 Tec, 130 gr Nos AB or TTSX, RL 22, loping along at a leisurely 3,300 fps equals dead everything

Craig
Yep. Kimber 8400 Classic, Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 running a 130 gr Interbond @ 3360 FPS is flat out devastating on everything I have shot with, nothing has moved out of its tracks yet. One of my favorite rounds without question.
Wow, you guys are a bunch of throttle heads!! I hear Re-22, what other powders have you settled on? What brass are you using? How many firings until the primer pockets start to loosen?
I love mine! It is a Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe. I have settled on the only load that I ever tried in it. 140 grain Accubond pushed by a moderate load of IMR4350. It shoots too good to try anything else. What a great hunting rifle it has turned out to be.
I did not post in the original thread, but there is a 270 WSM in the rack here. I originally bought it for Mrs. Tide a few years back, but I'm not exactly sure how long ago that was. I'd say around 2010 or at the latest, 2011.

I've loaded 110 grain Barnes TTSX in it from the beginning, over Reloader 19. I haven't run it over a chronograph, but I do know that it sucks the life out of whitetails, forthwith.

I like the cartridge, and this particular rifle is at home.

YMMV.
RL 19, Rem Brass, and I have yet to have a loose primer pocket, and have been shooting this gun for about 10 years. Mind you I don't shot a ton, once I found that load and how well the gun likes it, I have been taking it easy on it. Maybe 400 rounds down the tube.
Yeah, this one doesn't see a heck of a lot of traffic either, but it shoots a stiff load of R-19 well, and we turn them loose on deer to the tune of 2 or 3 every fall. Couple that with a few sighting in shots prior to the season and we are probably running no more than 15-20 shots a year.

It is a killer.

How is the 270 WSM with 150 Nosler Partition?
Mine won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It shoots 140 accubonds sub-MOA - sometimes .5 MOA and everything I've ever fired it at died a quick death. I have a safe full of other accurate and capable rifles that never see the field because the WSM just gets it done. Mine is a Model 70 Classic Stainless in a Bansner stock that I finished and painted myself.
Yep. Like mine. Win 70 EW in 270wsm. It likes 150 grn Horn Interbonds. It's killed 3 elk. Havn't recovered a bullet yet.
My best accuracy comes from Retumbo. IMR7828 ran a close 2nd.

My son's Tikka 270wsm has killed 4 elk and 2 deer with plain jane 150 grain Interlocks. He hasn't found a bullet in an animal yet either. It shoots every load well.

I still love mine!

Mike

Sounds like you all have some nice shooters.

I like mine. I wish it would feed a little better but I guess that's the downside to the fat case.
Whiptail what action is yours on?

Mine (model 70) was a little stiff when new but slick now!

Mike
I have on in a stainless featherweight mine likes mag pro with 140gr accubonds
Have a WBY Vanguard SUB MOA in 270 WSM that has been a great shooter and a go to hunting rifle for a long time.

Rifle likes REM Brass, RL 19 one grain off max with a good ole 130 grain Partition on the top, this load lives up to the SUB MOA claim. My observations in the field is that the load is very effective on game, dramatically effective.

This combo has resulted in more drop where they are standing kills than any other I have owned. No tracking required.

Yep I still like mine a lot !!

D
I love mine!! Its a m70 custom pacnor barrel that shoots everything Ive fed it so far under .5moa. I like 150gr berger vld over h1000. Everything I've shot with it has been DRT.
I am on my 3rd 270WSM. I had 2 in the Tikka T3 LS models (one mine the other my wife's). Sold both of them to the inlaws as I had bought a mint Sako m75ss version. LOVE this caliber!!! 140gr Accubond reloads with Retumbo are my medicine.

Recently picked up a new Sako A7ss 270WSM for my nephew and we were at the range yesterday. Shoots pretty sweet. Its set right now at 2" high @ 100 metres. Later I will spend more time with my nephew at the range so he can learn the reticle at distances and get more comfortable with his new rifle. I am leaving for my 1 week moose hunting trip this coming sunday morning but at least my nephew can be confident to hunt around their farm and area for a whitetail or elk.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

A-bolt II - mountain ti. It carries like a dream and is a good shooter but if I slowly/quietly load a round it will jam. Closing it normally works fine. I've learned to not to panic when it happens.
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

A-bolt II - mountain ti. It carries like a dream and is a good shooter but if I slowly/quietly load a round it will jam. Closing it normally works fine. I've learned to not to panic when it happens.

My .270 wsm, built on a Wby Vanguard action, is absolutely the slickest-feeding bolt action I own. Slow or fast, doesn't matter.
I like mine enough that I just bought another. My first is a M700 matte black SPS that was sent to HCR. They bedded into a Ti stock that Karnis painted, chopped the spout to 23in, and worked the trigger. I've since added a Wyatt CF box and follower, had it cerakoted in graphite black, added UBC, changed the FP assembly, lapped in some TLW 30mm lows, and mounted a 6500 2.5-16x42. She was doing 1/2moa with 130TTSXs at 3260 ahead of 62g I4350 prior to the latest mods. That load works out quite well for 400yd work as when zeroed at 225 it's only 4" low at 300, 9" at 350, and 1mil at 400. Just prepped some brass to load some more of the same and plan to run it this weekend. Plan to take it to TX in a few weeks to chase WT.

The second is a SS T3 I bought from pullit. He was getting around 1" at 300 with 130NBTs ahead of H4831, so it should be a dandy shooter as well. I've a Vortex HS 4-16x44 on the way for it, plan to mount it in some TLW lows as well.

It's a good cart IMO. It definitely edges out the Win by a fair margin. Not quite the Wby, but a dandy none the less.
I have the Model 70 Featherweight in LH and it loves the Nosler 140 gr Accubond with Magpro . I re-stocked it in a McMillan Swirly . I never hunt with it always just use my standard 270 Win.
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Absolutely love mine, a Vanguard action with PacNor barrel, Timney trigger, and McMillan Edge stock, bedded and free floated. This rifle really likes Nosler E-tip 130 gr. bullets, pushed along at 3300 fps.

A better long-range mule deer rifle, in a light, balanced package, is hard to come by.......

Which pattern did you choose for your Vanguard
I like both of mine. Both are Rem 700s. One is shooting 150 gr LR AccuBonds with H1000 and the other is flinging 130 gr. AccuBonds with R22.
gitem 12,

The McMillan stock is the Sako Hunter pattern.
I've got a FN Model 70 Featherweight from the first year of production with that cheap looking gold pain on the floor plate that puts 130 grain Accubonds over a case full of Reloder-17 in tiny groups that sometimes are even one holers.

I've never hunted it simply because it's a .270 (of sorts), but I do enjoy showing those tiny groups to my shooting buddies at the range.
JeffG: I am still happy with mine.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks for all the input guys! I have a Savage 14 270wsm headed my way. I was originally going to rebarrel it into 7SAUM, but now I'm looking forward to keeping it for some of those tiny 300yd groups you're all talking about!
Over ten years and still lovin mine!
I have a load I need to mess with a little more using a 150gr partition using magrpo and rem 9 1/2 mag primers. I just need to mess with the OAL a little bit. With that partition rifle be a moose killign machine. I use it on brown bear as well. That partition is hard to beat.
I have one in a sako 75 finnlight.
Loves the 140 gr accubonds.
Mine is a Kimber Montana. I had a load with 7828 and the 130 Ballistic tip that shot great, but I never got around to chronographing it for awhile. I knew the speeds weren't any better than .270 Win just by the trajectory but that didn't stop me from popping a few deer and a pile of coyotes with it. When I did get around to chronographing it was no more than 2950 fps. When time permited I poured the coal to it and its now teetering around 3300 fps and bettering MOA at 500 yards. Not bad for a 6 pound rig.
Love the caliber, but I have two. I have a Kimber 8400 stainless in 270 WSM I'm looking to let go of. $1100.00. Email for pics. [email protected]. Thx
Love mine, it's an older Model 70 Classic.

Shoots the 150 BT's and PT's at 3130-3150 with RL22.. Great rifle. Never had too much to do in order to make it shoot..

At 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

The BT's and PT's on the same target.. Great combo with RL22..

[Linked Image]
I had one for awhile. It never shot up to my expectations so got rid of it without ever hunting it. Now have a .300 WSM which shoots much better.

Jim
I have one that I use on my Blaser R93. It's stable mate is the 300 WSM. I'm quite interested in the 140 Accubond for the 270. What sort of experience do you users have with it?
I'm going on a NM Elk hunt in December and am considering the 140 Accubond for my load. What say you?
Zero experience with it, but by the numbers its the same as a 7mag shooting 160 Accubonds.
New this spring and just completed put together...M70 in a McMillan Sako Hunter green swirly camo stock w/4-12x50 Swarovski in DNZ 1 pc. medium mounts shoots clovers at 100 w/ Nosler 140Accubond Trophy factory loads. Been shooting handloads for 50 years but was short on time this year and thought I'd see what it would do...now I'm torn with this performing so well. I'll take her out elk hunting in a couple weeks and maybe we'll see what she does. A bit heavier than I wanted it to be though.
I love my new 270wsm, but would like some in site on bullet choices I did buy 3 boxes of 140 accubond ct and they shoot good, But I have always used Nosler Ballistic tips in my 30-06 and was wondering if anyone uses them in there 270wsm I hunt whitetail and black bear most of the time. Would like to know if the ballistic tip is gonna work for bear?

Thank you
I would probably stick with 150 BT's in the 270WSM. I am sure the 130's would be dynamite at 3300+ but the 150's will run out over 3100 and might be a little cleaner. Just my opinion though, the AB or PT's work really well in the 270WSM.
Still love my Weatherby Sub MOA. I shoot 140 gr SST's over RL 25.

Gets the job done.

Dan
On my third.

The Winchester High Wall in 270 WSM is of the few I have a few regrets letting them follow someone else home......

[Linked Image]

Loaded it with 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Also had a Nosler M48 Custom Sporter, but it went down the road too.

So here's one I just picked up. I'm a rifle slut and the carbon fiber and 26" barrel appealed to me....

[Linked Image]

Browning X-Bolt Carbon fiber long range hunter, 270 WSM.

I've had a number of Browning Rifles, and all I've owned have been shooters.

[Linked Image]

gonna try some 150 gr. Bergers and some 150 Gr. long range Accubonds tomorrow, see how they fly. Figure I'll load both over about 66 gr. Magpro.

May get the chance to pop a porker opening weekend, want to be ready.

JAFO,

GWB
GWB, that is a great bunch of 270WSM's.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I would probably stick with 150 BT's in the 270WSM. I am sure the 130's would be dynamite at 3300+ but the 150's will run out over 3100 and might be a little cleaner. Just my opinion though, the AB or PT's work really well in the 270WSM.

I did managed to pick up a box of 150gr silvertip ballistic tips over the weekend and there deadly accurate! I went from 1in best at 100yards with the 140gr accubonds to 1/2in with the 150gr ballistic tips I even stretched it out to 150 yards and was getting 3/4in group right off the bat. I have found the load I will use for hunting season!
© 24hourcampfire