Home
Posted By: GunLoony88 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/11/14
I killed my largest whitetail so far this weekend with a VZ-24 98 Mauser in 6.5x55, was using only a 100gr Nosler BT, but it did the job! No exit, but I hit him straight in the shoulder. He only went 5 feet and piled up.
Not bad for Georgia deer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kevinJ Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/11/14
nice buck, and congrats.
Swede's always seem to get the job done..congrats!
Congrats. Nice deer. Add style points using millimeters.
Nice job on a great buck!
Posted By: Rodell Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/11/14
Originally Posted by roundoak
Congrats. Nice deer. Add style points using millimeters.

AND a non-magnum!

Nice job! Nice rifle! Sweet caliber for sure!

dave
Nice deer, great cartridge!
Posted By: SD65 Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/11/14

Congratulations on a successful hunt-very nice buck!

I hope to bloody my CZ550 Swede in a couple weeks for the PA Season opener and do as well as you have done.

SD
WOW! Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations on a great deer with a slick chambering.
Congrats! That buck qualifies as a dandy.
Posted By: agazain Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/11/14
Dandy!
Congratulations.
Posted By: CRS Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
Very nicely done!
Posted By: Huntr Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
Well done!
Posted By: ragsflh Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
good job.those 6.5x55 work each time
Nice buck!!!
Great buck, Georgia or otherwise.

I was looking to get some trigger time with the 6.5 Swede in the house this fall, but a couple of days ago, Mrs. Tide asked where was the rifle she hunted with last season. (Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55)

I fessed up and she claimed it for hunting purposes this season as well. I guess I'll have to wait till next season.

Congratulations!
Posted By: bangeye Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
Nice deer , I got my buddy and I permission to hunt a small farm a couple of evening this week . He clobbered a nice 8 pt at about 185 yds dropped it like a stone. He works on the other end of the spectrum 169gr RN at about 2450 fps.
Posted By: beefan Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
Nice buck and near perfect shot placement. Congrats!
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
I killed my largest whitetail so far this weekend with a VZ-24 98 Mauser in 6.5x55, was using only a 100gr Nosler BT, but it did the job! No exit, but I hit him straight in the shoulder. He only went 5 feet and piled up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice GA buck ! Great cartridge too !!

Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Swweeeeeet!

Beautiful Deer... and contrary to what you hear from the 'experts', 100 grain bullets out of a 6.5 work just fine, don't they?
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
Very nice buck and rifle, congrats
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/12/14
Nicely done !
Good buck too .
Congrats.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I was looking to get some trigger time with the 6.5 Swede in the house this fall, but a couple of days ago, Mrs. Tide asked where was the rifle she hunted with last season. (Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55)

I fessed up and she claimed it for hunting purposes this season as well. I guess I'll have to wait till next season.

I case no one ever told you.... " next year is promised to no one"... time to go shopping! Love the Swedish!

Congratulations!
Nice buck. My brother shoots a 100 grain partition in a 260AI. That bullet always results in quick kills.
Hunting with a classic. Another job well done....
Posted By: ScottyO Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/16/14
Outstanding...You made a great shot,with a great cartridge from a fine rifle.Job well done!!! ScottyO.
Well done!! A great buck and a great cartridge. What's not to like about either?? Thanks for sharing.

Reno
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I case no one ever told you.... " next year is promised to no one"... time to go shopping! Love the Swedish!

Congratulations!

I got the message. Turns out I got to sit a stand with it after all and snuffed a big doe with a 125 grain Partition.

It is a sample of one for me, but she took 4 with it last year and all were short blood trails. I am thinking the legions of 6.5x55 fans have been right all along.

Love those Mausers and the mm cartridges.
Outstanding buck and my favorite cartridge, by a long shot!
Tide

This was the first kill for me with the rifle, it's really my 13yo daughter's. My dad put it together for her for Christmas last year. She was able to take her first deer (a big, fat doe) with it this year on opening weekend. My dad also built one for my oldest daughter - its a 257 Bob. I'm the custodian of both rifles for now, but I sure hope they let me keep them when they grow up!!
Posted By: GeoW Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/17/14
If God were to say, "GeoW, go get me my rifle", I'd go get the 6.5x55.

Congrats on a good un!
Awesome, congrats!
Way to go! You did good. Congrats on a beautiful Peach State buck.
Originally Posted by GeoW
If God were to say, "GeoW, go get me my rifle", I'd go get the 6.5x55.

Congrats on a good un!

Now that is a quality quote there.....

Good hunting.
Tide

This was the first kill for me with the rifle, it's really my 13yo daughter's. My dad put it together for her for Christmas last year. She was able to take her first deer (a big, fat doe) with it this year on opening weekend. My dad also built one for my oldest daughter - its a 257 Bob. I'm the custodian of both rifles for now, but I sure hope they let me keep them when they grow up!!

It's funny, in a way. I've got a 257 Roberts and a 6.5 Swedish here as well. Neither of them are mine, though.

Oh well....
How does the .257 Roberts stack up the Swede in terms of a younger shooter/hunter.
[Linked Image]

One of the top three rifles in my safe . . . 6.5x55 with an Atkinson barrell.
Great buck!

Congrats.

Mike
Congrats, very nice deer. You and your nice rifle did a great job.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 6.5x55 Swede puts him down - 11/18/14
Makes you wonder why anybody would use anything else. I have really come to like the 6.5X55 in recent years....deadly accurate, not a lot of noise and confusion when it goes off....just a nicely balanced cartridge. BTW, I have not killed my biggest buck with the Swede, but I have my furthest and closest....same load, same results.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
How does the .257 Roberts stack up the Swede in terms of a younger shooter/hunter.

Wilke - both are very mild recoiling, especially if you reload like I do. I make up some practice rounds with Trail Boss that are just a step up from a 22LR so they can get in some quality time on the gun. Even with regular loads, recoil and muzzle blast is tame, and when you're shooting at game, you just don't feel any recoil grin

Only issue for some (not me) is that if you don't reload, then it's tough to find ammo at your local big box store.

I have another rifle very much like these 2 in 7mm-08 that I'm trying to get my wife to use, but she doesn't have a great desire to hunt.
© 24hourcampfire