Home
Thinking of getting a tikka in 7mm mag but I've read that the recoild is pretty stiff. Is it really that bad? My normal rifle is a rem 700 in 30-06 that i put in a Holland laminated stock, which is pretty heavy, so was wondering if the tikka would be much worse.
After adding a Lumley recoil kit and limbsaver pad to mine, it's pleasant to shoot. No issues at all
Anybody that says they can tell the difference in recoil between a 7mm rem mag & a 30-06 is lying to you. Individual rifles vary due to weight or stock design, etc., but there is no difference in recoil between the two rounds that can be detected by anybody if they're shooting similar weight bullets.
I'm not so sure about that the 7 mag shooting a 140 grain bullet at 3250 with a powder charge of 67.5 of reloader 22 and a 06 using a 165 grain bullet with a velocity of 2680 using 55.5 H414, there is a definite difference in recoil.

Not a horrible difference but the 7 mag is "snappy" while the 06 is a "push". I would say that there is a slight difference to my shoulder.
I could handle the recoil! It's the name 'tikka' that gives me the schitts!!
Originally Posted by Esox357
I'm not so sure about that the 7 mag shooting a 140 grain bullet at 3250 with a powder charge of 67.5 of reloader 22 and a 06 using a 165 grain bullet with a velocity of 2680 using 55.5 H414, there is a definite difference in recoil.

Not a horrible difference but the 7 mag is "snappy" while the 06 is a "push". I would say that there is a slight difference to my shoulder.

That's a pretty mild 30-06 load so there probably is a difference in recoil there. Full house loads of similar bullet weights they're too close for anyone to tell the difference.

Different powders have different burn characteristics also. In my 7mm rem mag I shot a 140 gr accubond in front of RL-25 for years at 3250 fps. I ran out of RL-25 and couldn't find it so I worked up a load with IMR7828 giving the same velocity. The RL-25 load was harder kicking than the IMR7828 load, it was very noticable even though they were the same bullets at the same velocity and the powder charges were within 2 grs. of each other. Something about the RL-25 load just thumped you harder.

On average though there's no detectable difference between the kick of a 30-06 and 7mm rem mag. Move up to any of the 300 mags and I can definitely tell the difference.
Originally Posted by mikestaten
Thinking of getting a tikka in 7mm mag but I've read that the recoild is pretty stiff. Is it really that bad? My normal rifle is a rem 700 in 30-06 that i put in a Holland laminated stock, which is pretty heavy, so was wondering if the tikka would be much worse.

One range session will have you looking either to modify the stock or looking for the nearest gun shop. A Limbsaver is a good play although it lengthens the lop about 3/8". Good luck.
Originally Posted by RMulhern
I could handle the recoil! It's the name 'tikka' that gives me the schitts!!

Nothing a diaper won't take care of!

Shod
Pick up a spare recoil lug for when it bends on you.

If you can't find one, double up a piece of tin foil and that should about equal the strength of the original.....
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Anybody that says they can tell the difference in recoil between a 7mm rem mag & a 30-06 is lying to you. Individual rifles vary due to weight or stock design, etc., but there is no difference in recoil between the two rounds that can be detected by anybody if they're shooting similar weight bullets.

I agree whole heartedly, one of my brother in laws had a cheap Savage 110 in 30-06 in the cheesy wood stock, that thing kicked alot harder than my 7mag BDL 700.

I put a limbsaver on my 300 WSM and the 270 WSM and it really helps alot.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

If you can't find one, double up a piece of tin foil and that should about equal the strength of the original.....

No...No....No, you triple the tin foil to keep the fine tolerances where they needs to be! These tikkas is rocket science man. Grin

Shod laugh
Y'all are wimps. I have a TIKKA Superlite in 7mm. Recoil is very tolerable.
Originally Posted by Shodd

No...No....No, you triple the tin foil to keep the fine tolerances where they needs to be! These tikkas is rocket science man. Grin

Shod laugh

I'm sorry. Triple. My bad grin
I've had three Tikka lite stainless. A 270, 7 mag, and a 7-08. I've shot them a lot. When I read here about the recoil lugs being weak, I pulled mine out of the stocks and sure enough, I could see a faint impression in each of them. It sure didn't seem to make a difference in how well they shot.
I bought a steel lug. I think it cost about $25. I don't think I needed to, it was just something to try.

I put the Limbsaver on mine. Then I put a cheek piece on them. Besides giving a better cheek weld, it makes them seem much more comfortable to shoot. Right now I'm really liking one from Triad tactical. Not the purse one, just the pad.

I shot my 7 mag a lot. It was REALLY accurate and I thought the recoil was fine. With that said, I sold both my 7 mags. The 7-08 is just so nice to shoot I liked it better.

LOL! Holy shidt is this true?

Gotta be kidding....no?

I ask because I have never owned one. My only exposure was a friend who had a very accurate 223....until the trigger fell apart. I guess it didn't kick much.
The "recoil lug" is a free floating chunk of aluminum worth about 10�.

I don't own one, but have seen pics of bent ones from harder kicking chamberings. Some right here on the Fire....
Recoil? in a 7MM ANYTHING? SERIOUSLY?
Recoil from the bench sure, so use some padding. In the field not so much unless you're prone. I'd consider a 7-08 Montana if you want light and recoil bothers you.
Regarding the lugs, my guess is that those pics of bent lugs are from guys not tightening the action down before shooting. This would give things a running start.

The marks on mine, I couldn't even measure them they were so faint, Again, a guess, but I would think the lug might compress and then stop. That is what mine looked like anyway.
I had three. All shot great.

A hunting friend has one in 300, a 7 mag, and a 7-08. Another buddy has one in 300, another in 338, a different buddy with a 7-08, and two more friends with lites in 270.

For what it's worth, no lug problems and all of them shot really well.
My 7mm RM recoils a bit sharper shooting 180 Bergers than my 06 shooting the same weight bullets. Buddies T3 lite with 162 Amaxs. Not punishing at all.
I have one in 338 mag. I put a limbsaver on it and have been shooting it for 7 years. Got a deer with it just last Sunday. As for recoil not a big deal snappy but not bad. Just use a good pad for bench work and you will never notice it in the field.
First off, if you are a big game hunter and worry about brutal recoil from a 7 MM Mag, you might reconsider your hobbies in terms of finding something a bit more "user friendly" for your body. Like maybe checkers or chess, I've never shot a 7 MM Mag that I would consider as being brutal, and I've owned and shot more than just a few. Slightly "sporty" maybe in comparison to a 25-06 maybe, but brutal? Come on.

That said, I own a couple of the terrible, cheaply made Tikka rifles (I heard the "truth" about them on the internet from an expert in such things) and even though they are not family heirloom types of rifles, they are very serviceable. Two of the ones I own are chambered in 30-06 and 300 WSM. Both rifles have been shot over 500 times each, and so far the recoil lugs on both rifles have escaped the terrible bent/damaged by recoil issue that is their obvious to some internet Einstein observers' "weakness".

Snug the rifle into the stock in a normal manner and you won't have the terrible problems that at least one "expert" spits out whenever he thinks he has an apparently ignorant audience to soak up his readily offered advice and personal knowledge.

Please don't misconstrue my comments as being a Tikka only pusher as I'm far from that. But in the same context let's not go overboard with our negative "knowledge" that some choose to share with others whenever they can.

Fair enough?
For a good while my most used rifle was a 7mm Weatherby mag loaded to the gills. It had real recoil, but not what I'd call brutal.

That said, it would be interesting to slip a dummy round in on a large sample of shooters using 30-06/7mag and up and see if they're handling recoil as well as they think they are.
Originally Posted by mathman
For a good while my most used rifle was a 7mm Weatherby mag loaded to the gills. It had real recoil, but not what I'd call brutal.

That said, it would be interesting to slip a dummy round in on a large sample of shooters using 30-06/7mag and up and see if they're handling recoil as well as they think they are.

For some people, that same concept could be applied to a 243 Win shooter. Very simply put, if you can't handle the recoil of what you're shooting for whatever reasons (real physical limitations or simply "its going to hurt" mental reasons), a person obviously needs to find something milder to shoot that he can handle.

If you can't shoot a decent group with a rifle that someone else can due to obvious recoil issues, the size of your "pattern" should tell you something just as easily.
Yes, the concept does apply with any cartridge. My point is the percentage of people who are above their personal threshold increases with recoil, and an unannounced ball and dummy drill will produce graphic demonstrations of that problem. The increase isn't linear, it takes an upward jump about where I mentioned.
You could also add recoil reducers in the butt stock and then add decelerator pad.I believe they come in 2,4,6 and 8 ounce versions.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Gotta be kidding....no?

I ask because I have never owned one. My only exposure was a friend who had a very accurate 223....until the trigger fell apart. I guess it didn't kick much.

The bent lugs are bullschit. 2muchgun has a hard on for hating Tikkas for some reason, even though by his own admission he hasn't owned one.

The Sako TRG uses the same lug system as the Tikka. Are they junk too?

The T3 actually has three lugs. The main lug ahead of the front action screw, and a little lug built in around each action screw. Note how around the screw hole there is a square cut out in the stock. The action hangs down at this location and mates into the recess. If your action is moving, then you forgot to tighten the screws.

[Linked Image]
I did a search, but I am not very inter-webs savvy�

Could I see some pictures of these Tikka failures? (lugs,plastic, etc.)

It may save me some money in the long run.

-Thanks.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Gotta be kidding....no?

The bent lugs are bullschit. 2muchgun has a hard on for hating Tikkas for some reason, even though by his own admission he hasn't owned one.

The Sako TRG uses the same lug system as the Tikka. Are they junk too?

The T3 actually has three lugs. The main lug ahead of the front action screw, and a little lug built in around each action screw. Note how around the screw hole there is a square cut out in the stock. The action hangs down at this location and mates into the recess. If your action is moving, then you forgot to tighten the screws.

[Linked Image]

+1 Never owned one and yet has running commentary on them.
have had three tikka's in the .300 win...the t3, the t3 superlight and currently the boar hunter version...never shot the superlight but the other two were no big deal..have a ruger 30-06 that jumps more and comes back harder then the above mentioned and it still doesn't induce pain, just a random flinch
FYI I have a tang Ruger 77 in 7mm RM and shot it side by side with a Rem 721 in 30-06 for years. The 77 was fine but the 721 was stout in comparison. I figured it was due to stock design more than ft/lbs.
The recoil lugget problems are not internet BS. I tighten my action screws per spec and still get impressions in the lugs in as little as 20 shots(300WM and 338 Federal). I've been flipping the lugs on mine every so often when the impressions get fairly deep. Doesn't seem to bother performance, but just makes me feel like it's moving too much. I'm just about done with the aluminum lugs and will be installing Ti lugs in both of mine after the season.

Great little rifles. My only complaints are the lugs and shrouds.
If lugs and shrouds leave you sleepless, than go to Mountain Tactical and upgrade the two pieces for $80 plus shipping. Please, no snoring.
The only 7 mag i have ever owned, or shot, and still have, is a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless. I cant compare it to any other brand, and won't compare it to any other caliber. Every person is different and should determine what their acceptable level of recoil is.

Mine is still wearing the factory stock and pad, with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 sitting in Sako Optilock mounts and rings. It weighs right at 7.5 pounds with a full magazine and a 1" SuperSling 2 on it. I am pushing 160 grain Accubonds right at 3000 FPS with RL-22. Personally, I find the recoil well within acceptable limits whether standing or from a bench. I haven't tried it prone to see what that is like. If it matters, I am 53, stand 6'2" and weigh around a getting fat and soft 235 - 240.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
If lugs and shrouds leave you sleepless, than go to Mountain Tactical and upgrade the two pieces for $80 plus shipping. Please, no snoring.

Jeez! That picture's worse than that flashing avatar that guys had about a year ago. There ought to be a warning before you put that up!
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
The recoil lugget problems are not internet BS. I tighten my action screws per spec and still get impressions in the lugs in as little as 20 shots(300WM and 338 Federal). I've been flipping the lugs on mine every so often when the impressions get fairly deep. Doesn't seem to bother performance, but just makes me feel like it's moving too much. I'm just about done with the aluminum lugs and will be installing Ti lugs in both of mine after the season.

Great little rifles. My only complaints are the lugs and shrouds.

If you think a TI lug or steel lug won't get an impression on it after using it I have a bridge I can sell you. I definitely do not want a material just as hard as the receiver since that will mark up the reciever. They need to be properly glass bedded and that impression will go away or be minimized.
There must be something wrong with my Daughter and me. We both shoot Tikka t3's in 7 mag and the recoil doesn't seem to bother us. As a matter of fact, Daughter Sandi use the 168's for Elk and 140's for Deer.
Like I said prior, if your lug is getting dinged up, then something is moving period.

Sounds like the gun needs bedding.
Read this tonight what is the current opinions on tikka lugs.
If you can handle the recoil of a 30-06 you shouldn't have any problems with a 7 RM.....Good luck ...Hb
Originally Posted by byd

I have Tikkas in 7mm Rem Mag and .30-06, I shoot a lot, no issues.

P
Originally Posted by byd

Welll......

Bob has gone to the happy hunting grounds.....

2MG and Shod got busted for leading an international Sex Goat Trafficing ring. They're both doing a Nickle in the Federal Pen.... don't think they'll be posting for a while.

So..... the current opinions on Tikka lugs are that they're just fine.

I've owned/shot a lot of Tikkas..... never had any issues with lugs or shrouds or plastic bottom "metal".
I have a couple of Tikkas including a T3 Superlight in 7RM. The recoil to me is completely tolerable, and it is one of easiest guns for me to shoot accurately.

No issues at all with the recoil lug. If it bothered me, I could get an aftermarket steel lug pretty easy.
© 24hourcampfire