Home
Posted By: Gary O Ruger American stock mods? - 11/16/14
If you folks could take a look at these links and let me know what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh0feCDaHA

then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjujyMpnOI

Do you think that the heat that is generated would harm my camo hydro-coating?

Thanks...
Posted By: aheider Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/16/14
I definitely want the stock stiffer, but I don't want the extra weight. If you wanted both I think Boyds has an aftermarket wood or laminated stock that I would use first before I filled my stock with rockite or whatever that guy is using.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/16/14
Boyds does offer a nice looking stock for $113, but it does not contain the V-block bedding system that comes on the factory American rifle...
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/16/14
Hydraulic cement?That stuff expands as it sets up.Not much but it expands.
Im thinking Im going to use accra glass bedding gel,mixed with some of those air beads to save weight,and do basically the same thing.
Either that or use an air nozzle with a long tube to bubble it up to make like a honeycomb effect,at least in the buttstock to kill the hollow sound.
http://youtu.be/oAKG-kbKeIo

David
Posted By: TopCat Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/16/14
One basic stock stiffening method without adding weight is to use Marine Tex as a bonding agent and carbon arrow sections. Aluminum tubing works as well.

The reinforcing rods need to start in the recoil lug section of the stock and extend to the forend tip... that requires some careful surgery on the cross beams or long drilling the stock from the forend tip and patching later.

Use expanding foam or compressed styrofoam for the hollow stock.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/17/14
I just opened up the barrel channel enough that it couldn't touch the barrel. Sure it is a big gap, but this ain't meant to be a pretty rifle. It saves money and weight and shoots just as good. It ain't meant to be an expensive rifle either. I can't see adding a $100+ stock to it. If I were going to turn it into a $500 rifle there are already better options at $500.
Originally Posted by JMR40
I just opened up the barrel channel enough that it couldn't touch the barrel. Sure it is a big gap, but this ain't meant to be a pretty rifle. It saves money and weight and shoots just as good. It ain't meant to be an expensive rifle either. I can't see adding a $100+ stock to it. If I were going to turn it into a $500 rifle there are already better options at $500.

+1

The way the rifle/stock are bedded it really doesn't matter how flexy the fore end is as long as it's not touching the barrel. Mine has shot great off the bench, off a bipod, off a back pack, sitting w/ a strap, offhand w/ a strap. Open the barrel channel up if it needs it, the leave it alone.

David
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/17/14
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by JMR40

+1

The way the rifle/stock are bedded it really doesn't matter how flexy the fore end is as long as it's not touching the barrel. Mine has shot great off the bench, off a bipod, off a back pack, sitting w/ a strap, offhand w/ a strap. Open the barrel channel up if it needs it, the leave it alone.

David

+2 all mine needed was opening the barrel channel.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/29/14
I will try the marine resin/carbon arrow shaft style on mine. Also the expanding foam from Loews in the butt-stock...
Stuff walmart bags into the hollow butstock
Posted By: john843 Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/30/14
The rifle is already bedded securely via the bedding block. As JMR said, all that really matters is if it is touching the bbl. or not to impede the free-float. I'd make sure it isn't, stuff the hollow buttstock with tightly compressed packing peanuts if the hollow sound bothers you and call it a day. Mine shot exceptionally for a $525 rifle (Redfield scope and all).
John
Posted By: Gary O Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Goober fix...
Posted By: john843 Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/30/14
Hey, don't knock it, Goober got that old Ford purring like a kitten in the courthouse.
Another vote for just making sure the forend is fully floated. I have several Americans and a round rasp is your friend.
Posted By: Nrut Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Another vote for just making sure the forend is fully floated. I have several Americans and a round rasp is your friend.

or a heat gun..

Thanks, John for advice from a shooter with actual experience with the topic being discussed. These days you have to wade through the crap to reach a few pearls...
Originally Posted by Gary O
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Goober fix...

beg your pardon.....jackass

Sorry to hear you got your boots dirty gathering info

Thanks, John for advice from a shooter with actual experience with the topic being discussed. These days you have to wade through the crap to reach a few pearls...

WTF?

Several shooters with actual experience on the exact topic said the same thing before John did, Mule Deer just agreed with those posts. Now he's the only one that provided a pearl?

David
Originally Posted by Canazes9

WTF?

Several shooters with actual experience on the exact topic said the same thing before John did, Mule Deer just agreed with those posts. Now he's the only one that provided a pearl?

David

Yep.....but I suppose I CGAS
If I had known what I was dealing with I would have encouraged the putz to fill his stock w/ cemet instead of trying to save him from his own stupidity.

David

then:

Thanks...

You ask for opinions/suggestions. Folks are gracious enough to share their experience. and then you denigrate their contributions???

What a class act! frown
Lighten up boys, he's a know it all from California, are you really surprised?
Originally Posted by southtexas

then:

Thanks...

You ask for opinions/suggestions. Folks are gracious enough to share their experience. and then you denigrate their contributions???

What a class act! frown

Yawn...
Originally Posted by southtexas

then:

Thanks...

What a class act! frown

Yawn...

Yep.....100% cocknoggin
Posted By: TopCat Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 12/01/14
I will try the marine resin/carbon arrow shaft style on mine. Also the expanding foam from Loews in the butt-stock...

Forgot to mention that the low expansion foam works best and use 3-4 partial fills with enough time in between to allow the foam to expand fully.

Slightly compressed styrofoam peanuts in the hollow butt works and is less messy.

It's a good idea to relieve the barrel channel as well.

Also the expanding foam from Loews in the butt-stock...

Expanding foam comes in different expansion rates. If you get the one that expands the most, go slow and put a little in and let it finish expanding before you add more. It can warp or burst a synthetic stock. miles
I free floated the forend and used DAP Daptex latex foam in the buttstock.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by milespatton
Also the expanding foam from Loews in the butt-stock...

Expanding foam comes in different expansion rates. If you get the one that expands the most, go slow and put a little in and let it finish expanding before you add more. It can warp or burst a synthetic stock. miles

Thanks, Miles. Very helpfull...
GSO
Posted By: Gary O Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 12/02/14
Originally Posted by Craigster
I free floated the forend and used DAP Daptex latex foam in the buttstock.

More good counsel...thanks.
Posted By: cotis Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 12/02/14
I have two of these PEEK injected 10mm diameter carbon fiber rods that I have been saving for a project like this. These are medical grade rods, capable of supporting hundreds of pounds of deflection (trust me, I have the test reports). I am willing to give one to an enterprising handy person willing and capable of securing them within a stock. PM me for details. They are gone now, thanks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fredIII Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 12/03/14
Trying to get muledeer to man scape for you or what. Keep it up you will have to swallow.
Best mod for any Ruger is to be sold to some one you hate. Then go and buy a real rifle that doesn't start with R.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Ruger American stock mods? - 12/03/14
over the years I never had a Ruger center-fire that would shoot. I bought this el cheapo as a loaner hunter for my two shiftless sons-in-laws. Now I can keep my model 70's in the safe....

Attached picture ruger camo.JPG
Sorry, but I found the first video link extremely funny! All that to save a POS extruded stock with a VEE-BLOCK BEDDING SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!

The answer to the question no one should be asking.
over the years I never had a Ruger center-fire that would shoot. I bought this el cheapo as a loaner hunter for my two shiftless sons-in-laws. Now I can keep my model 70's in the safe....

There must be a reason your daughters CHOSE to marry shiftless men.

I'd be looking under my roof for that reason.
A mylar ballon filled with helium in the buttstock cavity will shave off 4 oz and make you invisible to FLIR.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

There must be a reason your daughters CHOSE to marry shiftless men.

I'd be looking under my roof for that reason.

Now thats F-N funny
© 24hourcampfire