Home
Posted By: StudDuck Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
As I stated in the Howa thread I posted earlier, I'm on a quest for a light weight hunting rifle. It doesn't matter if it's a long or short action, but I would prefer short.

Anyhow, after reading several threads and posting several threads, I don't hear much mention of Weatherby rifles other than Vanguards.

A decade ago, I owned a Weatherby Super Big Game Master; now known as the Ultra Light in 300Win Mag. The rifle had the best stock I'd ever held in my hands; it did a great job of soaking up the magnum recoil, the rifle was light weight and it shot factory fodder into a 1.5" group @ 100yds....nothing to bitch about other than being overpriced.

So all things considered, especially the Ultra Light's weight; why don't I hear more about the "upper tier" Weatherby rifles on the Fire?

Posted By: grumpy7904 Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
Lot of Weatherby haters on here I've got three ultra lightweights and love them especially My 280 until my wife laid claim to it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
Have 4 Weatherby's and never considered selling even one. Actually thinking of taking them with me when I go.

Why not? As a kid it was mostly a case of could not afford one. Now I'm old and that's not an issue.
Posted By: abilene Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
I'm a big fan of the Bee cartridges and use them often. I perfer the early FN actioned rifles and customs built on Rem. 700 actions. I would like to try a ultra light in 270 if I can find one at a decent price. I have seven rifles chambered now in Bee cartridges.
Posted By: GRF Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
I have a u-light mark V in .25-06, great gun. I wasn't a zealot / looney it would still be my go to gun.
Posted By: broomd Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
Great lightweight rifles, too bad that they can't make a %@$^&ing non-magnum ultra-lightweight for us lefties...

Too stupid for their own good, just like Winchester, Kimber, Remington..
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/14/15
I love the feel of The MKV Ultralight, I tried half a dozen or so before I gave up on the idea as I never could find one that would shoot MOA.....I think any rifle in this upper tier price range should easily do that, My Ultralights seemed to shoot more like 2 MOA.......unacceptable in My opinion..........Good luck.......Hb
A hunting part of mine has a Lightweight/SBGM in 7mm Rem Mag. He had a heck of a time getting it to shoot good. Kinda turned me off to them, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own one. Just other rifles I'd buy first.

And they're a little pricey. Kind of on the upper edge of what I'd pay for a production rifle.
Posted By: 358Dog Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/15/15
I got my first Weatherby (a Vanguard, on sale) and then read the book about Roy's history...then I bought 2 Mark V's... I think they are fine rifles and if I had more room in the gun safe I would buy another one (the Laser-guard by Cabela's)...but I think some folks hate Weatherby and some like 'em...I don't meet to many shooters in between.
Posted By: Rodell Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/15/15
I shoot the Weatherby cartridges, but only one in a Weatherby. They are accurate and put game down.

I did have a .308 ULW that didn't shoot well. My .257 in a ULW shoots just fine.

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/15/15
The nicest weatherby rifle I ever saw was one of the original Weatherby rifles that was built off of a sporterized m1917. Roy started off building on this type of platform way back in the day and they sure were beautiful rifles. That's the only Weatherby rifle I'd buy...
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/15/15
Weatherby? I think I've heard of them. Do they make rifles?
Posted By: slm9s Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/15/15
I find the WBY ultra-lights harder to shoot off-hand than other brands. With that heavy action they have to shave weight somewhere, and those barrels are thin and fluted. I've owned one in 338-06 and one in 30-06 and both shot good groups though.
I'm a huge fan of the look and feel of the wood/blued Mark V's, and I've had several. But, I just prefer SS/Syn for our rainy elk seasons, and prefer a lighter rifle also. If my hunting consisted of road hunting, or sitting in a tree stand a gorgeous Weatherby Mark V would make more sense.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
I have a couple of MKV's, and have owned a few Vanguards,all shot well. My favorite is this German MKV in 270 WBY caliber.It now wears a Leupold 3x9 Compact.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: centershot Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
My solution to the lightweight rifle quest took a turn on Black Friday. Walmart had Rem ADL 700's on sale w/ rebates and I could not resist. So I bought a .243 Win youth model (net $266.60). I have since traded the stock for a full size, lightened the trigger to 3#, floated the barrel and added a Leupold VX-1 3-9 in Burris mounts (traded the stock scope for some brass). I have less than $450 in the rifle w/scope, it weighs right at 7# and shoots anything I have tried from 58gr Vmax's to 100gr BTSP's into an inch and loads it really likes into 1/2"(or less). The barrel is a standard contour 20" long. I think that a shorter stiffer barrel is more accurate than a longer whippy one. I'm sure I give up around 100fps from a 24" tube but so what? Its not for everyone I'm sure and certainly not pretty with the camo plastic stock but I'm really enjoying it and have been shooting the heck out of it.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
I've owned and shot a number of Weatherbys over the past dozen years, and all have been at least adequately accurate, and most very accurate.

The Ultra Lightweights tend to be more accurate in smaller calibers, probably because the smaller hole makes the barrel stiffer. Had a .240 ULW that averaged between 1/2 and 3/4" for 3-shot groups with about any load. Right now have a 7mm Wby. Magnum ULW that's not that accurate with every load, but does well under an inch with the right load, including Weatherby factory ammo with the 160 Nosler Partition.
Posted By: SKane Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
I have nothing against Weatherby rifles as long as they're not in a Weatherby stock. smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Anyhow, after reading several threads and posting several threads, I don't hear much mention of Weatherby rifles other than Vanguards.

So all things considered, especially the Ultra Light's weight; why don't I hear more about the "upper tier" Weatherby rifles on the Fire?

The Vanguards are good rifles ...not made by Weatherby.

As for Mark Vs I would invite you to buy one, and find out for yourself..... grin
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
I've got three ultra lightweights and love them especially My 280......

Same here.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/16/15
The only one I seen that held by attention for more than a minute was one made in late 50s on Shultz & Larsen Magnum action. I must have been dreaming of my youth and Hans Christian Andersen. Anyhow unfortunately it was chambered for .378 Magnum.
Personally, I don't have much of a need for one. Most of my hunting is done with shots at 200 yards or less and with a rare 300 yarder. To me the Weatherby chamberings start to shine beyond 300-400 yards. The old '06 will kill just as dead at my ranges as a .300 Weatherby Mag if I do my part.
Posted By: GRF Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/17/15
It's funny how different rifles work for different people. I love the fit of the Weatherby stock, the aforementioned U-light in .25-06 is the only one I own, and I find the rifle is the one I shoot best offhand. I made my longest offhand and kneeling shots on game with the rifle.

My brother on the other hand claims that it is the worst kicking rifle he has ever fired and that it is much worse than a .300 RUM he used to own.

We are truly fortunate now with the great variety of rifles available to us weights, calibres, stock designs and price points. And if you don't like factory we have replacement stocks, triggers barrels etc.

As Sam Olson has in his tag line ( if I recall correctly) we are living in the good old days.

Hope y'all had great weekends. All the best GRF
Posted By: las Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/17/15
I've worked on a number of Bees. If you gave me one I'd trade/sell it for an honest rifle.
Posted By: Dustylongshot Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/18/15
I own a number of Mark V's and find them very nice rifles. Chamberings include 257, 270, 300, 30-378, 340, 338-378 and 378. I have had a gunshop for 31 years and rarely does a Mk V come in for service, other than for custom work. I only have one Vanguard or I should say my wife's rifle chambered in 270 Winchester. I have carried the 340 for Elk most of the time and the 257 for Antelope and Deer.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by Slavek
The only one I seen that held by attention for more than a minute was.......chambered for .378 Magnum.

Git'cha summa that!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/18/15
I've had a Deluxe MarkV 300 for several years. The first group with Weatherby factory ammo went into 3/4". All of my hand loads have beat that. My rifle is a keeper and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/18/15
I am very happy with my WBY MK V Custom Shop Outfitter 270 Roy
and my Wby MK V ULW 30-06
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/18/15
Have had three Weatherby's. A Euromark, and Accumark both in 300 Wby. Loved the stocks, and the bolt throw, the way the bolt would slide open as you tilted the rifle. LOP was just a touch short for me. Got rid of both of the 300's, as I aged the rifles got heavy, and started coming back real fast. A SVM in 22-250 is all that remains.

I really thought Weatherby's were the best rifles made, until I got a Cooper.

Then I was convinced the Cooper was the best rifle ever made, until I purchased a G30 Mcmillan Outdoorsman.

Its all relative.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/18/15
I don't care to be associated with Hollywood!!
Posted By: TXbluelacy Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/19/15
I've got lefty Mark V's in 30-06, 300, 257, and 378. I like em for the way they look. As for accuracy...

[Linked Image]

Having said I don't have much of a need for one, I've always had a passing interest in the .257 Weatherby. Wouldn't mind picking one of those up one day.
Posted By: las Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I own a number of Mark V's and find them very nice rifles. Chamberings include 257, 270, 300, 30-378, 340, 338-378 and 378. I have had a gunshop for 31 years and rarely does a Mk V come in for servuice, other than for custom work. I only have one Vanguard or I should say my wife's rifle chambered in 270 Winchester. I have carried the 340 for Elk most of the time and the 257 for Antelope and Deer.

Milages vary, and that's ok. I have to admit a reluctant urge for a .257 Wby, in anything but a Wby action.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by SKane
I have nothing against Weatherby rifles as long as they're not in a Weatherby stock. smile

Or action..
Posted By: Ringman Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/21/15
I built my ultralight on a Weatherby Mark V six lug using a Pac-Nor 26" barrel. With a Swarovski z5 5-25X52BT it tipped the postal scale at 6lb 13oz. One of the targets has three three shot groups all aimed at the same target. The nine shots were under 7/8".
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/21/15
Are the Weatherby Vanguards made in japan?
Posted By: salsola Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/21/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Why not a Weatherby? - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Are the Weatherby Vanguards made in japan?

Yes
© 24hourcampfire