Home
Posted By: d500lnn Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Can anyone give me any information or opinions on the rifle listed above? I'd like to know about quality, the stock (I've read different things), accuracy, etc.

I'm thinking about trying to find one depending on true retail not suggested retail. I've never owned a howa or Weatherby rifle. Never been a fan.

Posted By: TDN Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Check out some of the posts on hunttalk.com, the moderator Randy, over there hunted with one this past year and had great things to say about it.

While I have not had one, I have had Howas and Bansner/High Tech stocks and I think this is a winning combo from Howa if they can keep the price under $1k

Just thinking outloud here too, but if they twist their 7mm08 tight enough, there is usually plenty of room in the Howa S/A box to seat the 160/8's out there a ways...
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Good info. I'm actually thinking about the new offering in 6.5 Creedmoor. Need to check that twist rate. Thanks...
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
I exchanged several emails with Legacy Sports' president this morning. I'll post our conversation later; I asked several questions about this rifle.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
i was looking at them online today also...I would like to know how the fit and finish was on the rifle and if it is bedded to the stock....
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by gene270
i was looking at them online today also...I would like to know how the fit and finish was on the rifle and if it is bedded to the stock....

Pillar bedded.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Do they all have that butt ugly mag sticking down from the stock?
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
I read where they all come with the standard floorplate. The extended mag is an option.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Do they all have that butt ugly mag sticking down from the stock?

You have the option of the hinged floor plate or magazine.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by tdn
Check out some of the posts on hunttalk.com, the moderator Randy, over there hunted with one this past year and had great things to say about it.

While I have not had one, I have had Howas and Bansner/High Tech stocks and I think this is a winning combo from Howa if they can keep the price under $1k

Just thinking outloud here too, but if they twist their 7mm08 tight enough, there is usually plenty of room in the Howa S/A box to seat the 160/8's out there a ways...

Kind of hard to say anything negative when they are a sponsor and writing you a check.
Posted By: TDN Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/16/15
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by tdn

Kind of hard to say anything negative when they are a sponsor and writing you a check.

I agree, but if any host/TV hunter would give you honesty it would be Randy. His is about the only hunting TV I watch - top notch. he posts on here from time to time as well.
Posted By: jryoung Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/16/15
Here's Randy's highlight for the Shot Show.

http://vimeo.com/115813239
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/16/15
Below is an excerpt from the email conversation I had with Andy McCormick, President of Legacy Sports in reference to the new Alpine series rifle.

Mr. McCormick,

I just received my 2015 catalog in the mail and I am intrigued by the new Alpine Mountain Series Rifle. On the surface, it is a beautiful rifle, but I have several questions that I hope you can answer before making my decision. Please take the time to provide detailed answers to each individual question.

1. Your catalog lists the the Alpine Mountain Rifle having a #6 contoured barrel; please describe to the best of your ability the type of barrel used for the #6 contour; I assume it's a thin lightweight "mountain contour" barrel or is it a heavy barrel contour? Perhaps there is a misprint in the catalog; judging by the pictures, it is a thin barrel as compared to the Hogue Kryptek Full Dip Package that is equipped with a 20" #6 heavy barrel. Good Catch , It is a # 1 lwt contour � they are changing it now on the website and downloadable catalog .. thanks

2. Is the barrel free floated? YES

3. What type of crown does the barrel have? Same as all of our Howa�s � Standard recessed LWT and Standards.. HVY Barrels are Target Recessed

4. What method was used to install the rifling? Describe how the barrel was manufactured; hammer forged, etc. Drawn process

5. Is the action bedded, if so, how? Pillar Bedded

6. Does the rifle have an integral recoil lug? YES � Monster one J If not, please describe how the recoil lug is assembled into the rifle.

7. Is the barrel threaded into the receiver? YES If not, please describe how the barrel is attached to the receiver.

8. Is the Alpine Mountain Series rifle built on a true short action receiver or is it built on a long action receiver, utilizing a bolt stop similar to the design of the Tikka rifles?
SHORT ACTION � all of our #1 contour calibers are � 223, 204, 22-250, 243, 308 and 7mm-08

9. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger user adjustable? What is the adjustable range? If not, what is the factory trigger pull weight? 3 lbs. from Factory.. can be adjusted to 2.7 lbs .
Without affecting the safety engagements.

10. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger group enclosed? YES

11. Where is the "high tech light weight stock" manufactured? Is it an injection molded stock or is it hand-laid fiberglass, kevlar, etc.? Hand Laid Fiberglass � Mark Banser !

12. Can the bolt assembly be field stripped by the owner? Absolutely !

You won�t be disappointed � We also have it coming in 6.5 Creedmoor in May !

Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/16/15
Below is an excerpt from the email conversation I had with Andy McCormick, President of Legacy Sports in reference to the new Alpine series rifle.

Mr. McCormick,

I just received my 2015 catalog in the mail and I am intrigued by the new Alpine Mountain Series Rifle. On the surface, it is a beautiful rifle, but I have several questions that I hope you can answer before making my decision. Please take the time to provide detailed answers to each individual question.

1. Your catalog lists the the Alpine Mountain Rifle having a #6 contoured barrel; please describe to the best of your ability the type of barrel used for the #6 contour; I assume it's a thin lightweight "mountain contour" barrel or is it a heavy barrel contour? Perhaps there is a misprint in the catalog; judging by the pictures, it is a thin barrel as compared to the Hogue Kryptek Full Dip Package that is equipped with a 20" #6 heavy barrel. Good Catch , It is a # 1 lwt contour � they are changing it now on the website and downloadable catalog .. thanks

2. Is the barrel free floated? YES

3. What type of crown does the barrel have? Same as all of our Howa�s � Standard recessed LWT and Standards.. HVY Barrels are Target Recessed

4. What method was used to install the rifling? Describe how the barrel was manufactured; hammer forged, etc. Drawn process

5. Is the action bedded, if so, how? Pillar Bedded

6. Does the rifle have an integral recoil lug? YES � Monster one J If not, please describe how the recoil lug is assembled into the rifle.

7. Is the barrel threaded into the receiver? YES If not, please describe how the barrel is attached to the receiver.

8. Is the Alpine Mountain Series rifle built on a true short action receiver or is it built on a long action receiver, utilizing a bolt stop similar to the design of the Tikka rifles?
SHORT ACTION � all of our #1 contour calibers are � 223, 204, 22-250, 243, 308 and 7mm-08

9. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger user adjustable? What is the adjustable range? If not, what is the factory trigger pull weight? 3 lbs. from Factory.. can be adjusted to 2.7 lbs .
Without affecting the safety engagements.

10. Is the H.A.C.T. trigger group enclosed? YES

11. Where is the "high tech light weight stock" manufactured? Is it an injection molded stock or is it hand-laid fiberglass, kevlar, etc.? Hand Laid Fiberglass � Mark Banser !

12. Can the bolt assembly be field stripped by the owner? Absolutely !

You won�t be disappointed � We also have it coming in 6.5 Creedmoor in May !

Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by tdn
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by tdn

I agree, but if any host/TV hunter would give you honesty it would be Randy. His is about the only hunting TV I watch - top notch. he posts on here from time to time as well.

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/17/15
Um, okay..
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/18/15

Yes, the counter jockey looked at me funny..

.243 weight w/ hangtag.

[Linked Image]

Action is definitely slabbed down more than a regular action.

[Linked Image]

Great feeling little rifle.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/18/15
Thanks Rancho! Fairly sure it's the same barreled action they use on the Ranchland, youth, or anything else with the short/skinny barrel. Except for the Cerakote of course.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/18/15
6 1/4 lbs.....a little over the advertised 5.7lbs.

Thanks Rancho.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/19/15
What rifle might one use for comparison in its price and weight range?

Thinking perhaps Browning Stalker or ? Looking for objective pros and cons.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/19/15
Here's what I posted on the topic in another thread:
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by StudDuck
According to Legacy's web site, the bare weight is 5.7lbs, but as Travis said above, he'd like to see it on the scales.

Me too. They list their ultralight B/A at 4.5 lbs. and from what I can find a Bansner's going to go 1.5 lb. I asked Rancho to take his postal scale to Sportsman's Warehouse to get a weight, but he was ascared of what the clerks would think of his request...

I really like Howas, but shaving weight by putting a short pencil barrel on a still heavy action is bass-ackwards in the handling department.
Suggest he take it to Big Fin's house. He has a few...

Big Fin already offered to let Rancho test drive them. I suggested he take his postal scale when they went to shoot and call it a postal match. Haha.

While I really like Howas, and it's nice to see some high quality stocks showing up on factory rigs, I'd do the same as dave and go the Kimber route over the Alpine for a few reasons. First, Kimber did as much to lighten the action as they did the barrel, rather than the majority of the weight loss coming from the barrel. Second, I prefer stainless steel to coated chrome-moly. And third, the 13 7/8" LOP of the Alpine is too long for my liking.
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/19/15
That is in fact, the same action they use on the Ranchland Compacts, etc.

For that price I'd be looking at a Montana.

Travis
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by kenjs1
What rifle might one use for comparison in its price and weight range?

Thinking perhaps Browning Stalker or ? Looking for objective pros and cons.

"price and weight range"

Kimber Montana
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/19/15
I wonder if you can buy that barreled action. Then buying a banser to finish yourself would likely save a few hundred.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/19/15
Yes, you can buy the lightweight barreled actions. Or buy the Ranchland Compact and sell the Hogue.
Posted By: deflave Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I wonder if you can buy that barreled action. Then buying a banser to finish yourself would likely save a few hundred.

Yes you can.

But a Kimber is a much faster way to a lighter, LW rig.

Travis
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/20/15
+1
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/20/15
Kind of BS that the advertised weight is so off from reality. Given the components every one of them should weight petty much the same.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Kind of BS that the advertised weight is so off from reality. Given the components every one of them should weight petty much the same.

Advertised weights of rifles, and the advertised BC of bullets, are akin to advertised MPG on vehicles.

UBER rapists!

Travis
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/20/15
Guess that's a +2 for today.
I almost always agree with me as well.

Travis
Posted By: pointer Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/20/15
That's a pretty heavy duty hang tag though... wink

The one weighed had the BDL-esque bottom metal in place. I wonder if or how much lighter the plastic detachable is. That said, I doubt it'd make up the difference.
I've weighed my 22-250 with both the DMB and the floorplate and there was no discernible difference on my UBER postal scale.

Travis
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/20/15
Was it Plato or Socrates that said if you want a really lightweight rifle, don't build it on a Howa?
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/21/15
Was it Plato or Socrates that said if you want a really lightweight rifle, don't build it on a Howa?

LMAO.
Posted By: pointer Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by deflave
I've weighed my 22-250 with both the DMB and the floorplate and there was no discernible difference on my UBER postal scale.

Travis
Sonofa.....

Looks like I'm gonna have to get up earlier and pack a lunch to get one over on 'Flave.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Howa Alpine Rifle - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by StudDuck

LMAO.

I think it was Lee24, but Lee taught both those guys everything they knew.
© 24hourcampfire