Home
Posted By: WhelenAway Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
A new issue of RifleShooter showed up today, and there's an article about these rifles.

Took a look, and they look really nice, for a reasonable price.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
That might just be a winner right there. Wonder if the entire action is stainless ?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
I like the looks of that.

One of the dealers is close by.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
Nice looking rifles.
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
But no left hand option! Such is the life of a lefty
Posted By: pointer Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
I like the looks of that. Couple of things I noticed; the Closer and Professional are listed with the same weights. However, the Professional is touted as being their 'lightweight' model. Also, the 10" twist on the 243... They did go with a 8" on the 6.5 cartridges though. If my memory and a quick internet search + intuition are correct, these appear to be a reincarnation of the rifle action that Ed Brown/Brown Precision used to make. The number is the same.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
thats a great price point for what they are offering but time will tell...thats the old Ed Brown action that he used on his rifles along with Mark Bansers high tech stock and who knows what barrel manufacturer......if they have the fit and finish of Marks previous rifles when he made them under his name I can see me with one
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
Originally Posted by pointer
I like the looks of that. Couple of things I noticed; the Closer and Professional are listed with the same weights. However, the Professional is touted as being their 'lightweight' model. Also, the 10" twist on the 243... They did go with a 8" on the 6.5 cartridges though. If my memory and a quick internet search + intuition are correct, these appear to be a reincarnation of the rifle action that Ed Brown/Brown Precision used to make. The number is the same.

I'd like a close-up look at the right bolt lug. It looks as though they take a pretty good sized chunk out of it to house the extractor.

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: JasonH Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
Well, I just placed an order for a "closer" in .243. No idea on delivery date yet as the sales person is going to follow up with my FFL today. I figured it's worth a shot with Mark's name attached to the company, as well as Craig Boddington using them on his tv show. The rifles have all the right parts, the only question is how well they will be screwed together.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
Lefthand option please. I think Ed Brown offered the action in a left hand version.

Also faster twist (1-8) options for vld type bullets in 22, 24, 28.

And 1-9 twist for 25 and .27 cal.
Originally Posted by gene270
thats a great price point for what they are offering but time will tell...thats the old Ed Brown action that he used on his rifles along with Mark Bansers high tech stock and who knows what barrel manufacturer......if they have the fit and finish of Marks previous rifles when he made them under his name I can see me with one

Mark made a heck of a nice rifle and they were very accurate too. IIRC, he used Lilja barrels whereas the Brown rifles used Shilen. Depending on who's barrel they are using, these rifles seem to be pricing very fairly.

I just noticed the first rifle pic on their Facebook page has a blind magazine so maybe someone messed up the specs on those two rifles. They do clearly state that one is their "lightweight" model and the other is their "medium" weight rifle.
Originally Posted by RDFinn

I just noticed the first rifle pic on their Facebook page has a blind magazine so maybe someone messed up the specs on those two rifles. They do clearly state that one is their "lightweight" model and the other is their "medium" weight rifle.
I figure it's a typo, just something I noticed.

Anyone happen to know what the mag length is on the short action?
Posted By: RinB Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/16/15
Just to be clear...the action made by Ed Brown was not made by Brown Precision. The only thing in common is the name " Brown ". Likewise Mark Bansner should not be confused with Mark Brown who runs Brown Precision.
Both are really great guys.

Originally Posted by RinB
Just to be clear...the action made by Ed Brown was not made by Brown Precision. The only thing in common is the name " Brown ". Likewise Mark Bansner should not be confused with Mark Brown who runs Brown Precision.
Both are really great guys.

Thanks for clarifying that. I definitely got that one wrong.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/22/15
I shot the Closer model the other day at the SHOT media day. VERY nice rifle. Was sort of a fluke that I even shot it as I never even heard of the company. Only put a couple rounds through it. Fit and finish was top notch, we were easily ringing steel at a little over 450 yards off the bench. I think it was in 26 Nosler but cant recall. Street price will be around $1400ish.

Lots of good stuff - great stock, stainless barrel with Cerakote, claw extractor, solid warranty. Between these rifles and the Montana Rifle Company rifles I am seriously questioning my Winchester loyalty.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/23/15
They look very sharp. Great cartridges as well.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/23/15
Originally Posted by RDFinn

I figure it's a typo, just something I noticed.

Anyone happen to know what the mag length is on the short action?

I spoke with someone from Legendary Arms today and they said that the pic of the rifle on their FB page with the blind mag was a prototype rifle they had made for someone.
Posted By: Reed Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/31/15
Greetings All,

I am posting answers to questions and other information on this thread to avoid duplication to my original posting here:

Legendary Arms Works Rifles-A new rifle manufacturing company

Please direct any questions to that thread.

Thanks for your interest in our rifles and the feedback and opinions,
Paul
Posted By: Tessaro1911 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
I bought a LAW Professional in 28 Nosler. I have to say, it is the most accurate hunting rifle I own. I have a custom 700 in 280AI, I have a couple Coopers, and this sucker is not only a smoker but super accurate. I was completely blown away. I zero'd it at 200 yards off a bench and it shoots quarter size groups...with factory Nosler 175 grain ABLR.

No, I don't work for Legendary Arms.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
They had a few bugs with some rifles, but I still say when they get them all worked out, those rifles are going to be a nice option outside of all the Remington clones on the market today.
Posted By: Gtscotty Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
The LAW closer looks like a nice piece at $1,300 - $1,400 street price. I was considering one, but have had a hard time finding reviews or reports on their accuracy. It's good to hear the 28 N shoots so well, I think I would lean towards a 6.5CM or.260 myself. Out of curriosity, what bugs have been seen with these rifles thus far?
Posted By: ts300wsm Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
Just watched a tour of there factory on PCN tours seems like a good company to deal with.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
I tried to buy a Closer a couple months ago.

8 months lead time.

Either they are selling quite a few, or they can't afford a little inventory, and are going under soon.

I decided to wait and see what happens.

Posted By: Gtscotty Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
Wow, 8 months is a bit much, what kind of price was your dealer going to give you? The only dealer from their Web page around here that I've contacted said that they weren't a dealer of LAW products, and that they didn't know why LAW thought they were.... Not a good start. The only Closer I see on GB starts at $1,550... That's Finnlight money, I was hoping to see a couple around $1,400.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
$1350
Posted By: Bud Gills Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/01/16
I've had a Professional in 28Nosler for a while and its a really well put together outfit...and very accurate to boot.
Posted By: boliep Re: Legendary Arms Works - 01/02/16
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I tried to buy a Closer a couple months ago.

8 months lead time.

Either they are selling quite a few, or they can't afford a little inventory, and are going under soon.

I decided to wait and see what happens.

I think this is the best policy. So many rifle companies coming and going and I have seen nothing at all that is reassuring about Legendary Arms Works. Just delays and excuses that make me very, very cautious.

Posted By: RipSnort Re: Legendary Arms Works - 05/21/16
Have any more folks on The Campfire owned and shot these rifles enough to have an educated opinion? Let's hear what you think.

Thanks, RS
Posted By: gene270 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 05/21/16
I picked up one in the creedmoore...the only thing i would complain about is the inlet for the bottom metal could be a little neater but other than that I am satisfied
Posted By: STS45 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/18/16
Anyone shooing one of these now??
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/19/16
For you guys shooting Howa actions, his classic-style stock blank is the first one I've seen currently available other than a Boyd's laminate. If you want a classic style stock and have the exerience/skills to finish-inlet and glass bed with pillars, this might be the way to go. Anyone I know that has or had a Banser stock have good things to say about them but as always YMMV.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/19/16
My buddy is considering a professional in 7 Rem Mag for an elk hunt next year. Thinking it might work...
Posted By: STS45 Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/19/16
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
My buddy is considering a professional in 7 Rem Mag for an elk hunt next year. Thinking it might work...

That is the same one I'm looking at. Handled one at Sportsman's and it was actually really nice. Read some scar things about them when they first came out and just wondering how they are now.
Posted By: crobar Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/19/16
I have two of the Professional rifles, a 28 Nosler and a 35 Whelen.
Both are very well put together, excellent workmanship and superbly accurate.
One cannot ask for more than that and between the two they should cover the full spectrum of my hunting needs..
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/21/16
Handled a Professional in 26 Nosler at Mich-I-gun last week. Wow was I impressed.

Figuring out now what trades I might have to get that rifle.

Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Legendary Arms Works - 11/21/16
I just picked up a Professional in 28 Nosler. It feeds fine from the right side of the magazine, but the cartridge from the left tends to bind a little on the right side of the ramp. Appears to be good lug contact on both sides.

When I took the action out of the stock, I noticed a slight burr on the bedding block at the front of the magazine well which would prevent the action from seating completely. I filed that burr off. Looks like a simple skim bed is in order.

With the 160 AB Nosler factory ammo, the rifle seems to be a 1" shooter (3 shots at 100 yards). Redding dies were just delivered today so I have not started reloading for it yet.

The Timney trigger adjusts easily. Barrel is well centered in the channel, and there is plenty of space to each side. Ports on the brake are angled forward slightly. It recoils less than my Win70 Featherweight in 30-06 with 150gr TTSX loads.

I like the stock ergonomics. I have small/medium hands and the wrist/grip feel much nicer than the Nosler 48 rifles
© 24hourcampfire