Home
Posted By: rdd H-S Prcision or Bell & Carlson - 01/20/15
I bought my twin boys each a Remington 700 XCR in 30-06 several years ago. I just put new Timney triggers on each of them but when I had them apart I think I should just upgrade the stocks. So what are your thoughts between the H-S and the Bell & Carlson? One is left had and the other right hand.
I don't think B&C is offered in left hand. Both are heavier than I want in a hunting rifle, but the B&C Medalist in my experience is every bit as good for a lot less money.
B&C does have a model for left hand 700's. Check Red Hawk Rifles.
HS would have to have a leg up in ergos because the B&C is built just as well. I also second the above. I bought one from Red Hawk Rifles. Very easy to deal with.
I own both. I like both. When you consider price, the B&C may be the best value of all stocks, IMO. I personally like the palm swell of the B&C and if you compare specs, the B&C is very light. The McMillian classic is actually a couple ounces heavier than the Medalist AW/MR stock for a 700.

I really like McMillian, but it's tough to beat a B&C for the money.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: rdd Re: H-S Prcision or Bell & Carlson - 01/21/15
I just looked on the Red Hawk Rifles page and the photos of the Bell & Carlson looked like the stock had the pressure bumps where the H-S didn't. Is the B&C set up for a free floated barrel?
Own both HS and B&C for LH LA Rem 700 BDL. Bought both from Red Hawk Rifles. Red Hawk is good to go. My impression of HS vs B&C:

HS PSS016:
> Thinner wrist, slightly wider fore end.
> Much better fit and finish. Good "grip-ability" of the finish.
> Much less work to "drop in" Rem 700 barreled action. Slight relief in bottom of bolt cut.
> 38 oz.
> $80 to 90 more expensive.

B&C Alaskan:
> Wrist is slightly more open, but thicker.
> Fore end is thinner. Fits my hand better. But slicker.
> Fit and finish sucked. Had glob of paint in the action area that had to be sanded out before I could bolt the action into the stock. Had paint "flash" inside full length of barrel channel where the masking tape was removed while paint still wet and it "pulled". had to remove thick paint from bottom metal inlet to be able to seat bottom metal.
> "Drop in" ability sucked. Had to dremel out for trigger weight screw on Timney trigger. Had to relieve sides for HS bottom metal. Had to remove material from the bolt cut to eliminate contact with the bolt handle. Had to remove the "speed bumps" in the fore end tip to float the barrel. Significant sanding in the bottom of the barrel channel directly in front of the recoil lug to float a Lilja #3 barrel.
> 32 oz weight.

I bought the B&C because the grip "appeared" to be more open. Which it is. But the thicker dimensions more than offset any advantage to being slightly more open. I do like the fact that the B&C is 6 oz lighter. However, I have well over $100 of my time and effort to get everything to bolt into the stock the way I want it.

Last weekend got bored and took a belt sander and 80 grit sand paper to the grip area to thin it down. Had to remove a "lot" of material to get it to be comparable dimensions to the HS stock. Still working on final sanding and starting to finish over it.

I will get this B&C stock tailored to fit me and my tastes. However, after this debacle, no more B&C stocks in the foreseeable future.

To the OP, if you have the $$$'s, my recommendation would be to go for the HS stock. Slightly heavier. Slightly more expensive. But well worth the difference IMO...
For those who don't like the weight of HS, they also have a model with a half aluminum block and other minor changes to shave weight. Model 105 I believe. I have one and it feels comparable to a McEdge in weight although I haven't weighed each yet.
Does H S have a model for a LH SA remington 700 ?
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Own both HS and B&C for LH LA Rem 700 BDL. Bought both from Red Hawk Rifles. Red Hawk is good to go. My impression of HS vs B&C:

HS PSS016:
> Thinner wrist, slightly wider fore end.
> Much better fit and finish. Good "grip-ability" of the finish.
> Much less work to "drop in" Rem 700 barreled action. Slight relief in bottom of bolt cut.
> 38 oz.
> $80 to 90 more expensive.

B&C Alaskan:
>> Fit and finish sucked. Had glob of paint in the action area that had to be sanded out before I could bolt the action into the stock. Had paint "flash" inside full length of barrel channel where the masking tape was removed while paint still wet and it "pulled". had to remove thick paint from bottom metal inlet to be able to seat bottom metal.
> "Drop in" ability sucked.
Had to dremel out for trigger weight screw on Timney trigger. Had to relieve sides for HS bottom metal. Had to remove material from the bolt cut to eliminate contact with the bolt handle. Had to remove the "speed bumps" in the fore end tip to float the barrel. Significant sanding in the bottom of the barrel channel directly in front of the recoil lug to float a Lilja #3 barrel.
> 32 oz weight.
However, I have well over $100 of my time and effort to get everything to bolt into the stock the way I want it.

Last weekend got bored and took a belt sander and 80 grit sand paper to the grip area to thin it down. Had to remove a "lot" of material to get it to be comparable dimensions to the HS stock. Still working on final sanding and starting to finish over it.

I will get this B&C stock tailored to fit me and my tastes. However, after this debacle, no more B&C stocks in the foreseeable future.

I find this interesting, but do not doubt it. The old Carbelite model I bought was a real POS. Worked my azz off to get it to fit, similar to this experience. The last two Medalists I've had fit perfectly to a Tikka T3 and a Rem 700, but factory triggers and magazines were used.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I'm very much interested in seeing pictures of that and hearing how it turns out. Any issues grinding through the outer layer of the stock into foam or anything else in the wrist area?

I've had all the same issues you described with a B&C Ti type stock I recently purchased from Redhawk Rifles (they're B&C issues, not Redhawk's fault), but the only one that really bothers me is the thick a$$ wrist.
As jds mentioned, the issues were B&C issues. Not Red Hawk issues. I have had two other B&C medalist stocks in the past. Always "some" fitting required but nothing like this one. I got the impression that this stock was painted either Friday afternoon right BEFORE a holiday, or Monday morning right AFTER a holiday.

Yes I will post pictures. Camera battery is dead. Need to find the charger. Looks like a thick layer of paint, a layer of resin similar to grey bondo or body filler, a layer of fiberglass cloth, and then the "chop and fill" core. If I can seal the "chop and fill", it should work out O.K. Haven't had time in the last week to look for paint.

I have heard that HS is making a "light weight" stock. However, I can't seem to find it on their website. Big question, for me, is it available in Left Hand ?
Stocky's carries the lightweight HS, friend ordered one last month. 700 SA, weight was 24.5 oz
I've been a long time fan of H-S Precision and never had a problem.

Because of what I read on the intent about B&C quality being on par and the price being much cheaper, I bought a couple to see.

One was for a Win 70/MRC short action. The cut out for the bolt handle was big enough to allow for two bolt handles. Hence it needed work beyond just fitting to make it look decent.

The other stock was for a Rem 700 short action, and like the Model 70 stock, it needed extra fitting work for the barreled action to fit, but at least they got the bolt handle cut out right on this one.

No more for me. I'll pay the extra $$ and get what I want the first time.
some have suggested that the butt of the hs precision is too thick. Is this true or just opinion?
Forgot I posted in this thread. Pards scale wasn't calibrated correctly, weight was 26.8 ozs. Still light and didn't need much work at all
Stocky's for the HS Ultralight.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-p...-model-700-short-action-pss-045-094.html

Got a B&C for a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM and a Manners EH for a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede, will never waste another dime on B&C stocks .....

Just can't get rid of that cheap azz junk feeling when handling the Bull Crap stock
the Manners is absolute perfection .........

final answer ? Manners or McMillan
I like the BC Medalists. The HS are built pretty much the same, but a little thicker and no checkering.

Originally Posted by Swamplord
Got a B&C for a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM and a Manners EH for a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede, will never waste another dime on B&C stocks .....

Just can't get rid of that cheap azz junk feeling when handling the Bull Crap stock
the Manners is absolute perfection .........

final answer ? Manners or McMillan

Good point.

BUT, I don't think the OP is thinking $600 handles...

DF
Posted By: JSH Re: H-S Prcision or Bell & Carlson - 03/31/15
I have one of each but hard to compare ergonomics as the H.S. is on a Model 70 Heavy Varmint and the B&C is on a Model 7 lightweight.
I do think the grip of the B&C is on the thick side for a stock on such a lightweight sporter. The H.S. is by design being a heavy varmint stock so can't speak to their sporter design.
Fit and finish I don't see much difference and I was happy with the quality of both. Again, not a large sample.
I bought the B&C from Redhawk Rifles as well and was very happy with that experience.
I also have a couple of McMillans and there is no question they are at a different level. If money or time was never a factor I would buy the McMillans every time. If I don't want to put $500+ into a stock I would use either an H.S. or B&C again.
Here's a B&C Medalist on a 98 FN Mauser. It's not overly heavy, has a nice feel and I like it. For the price, not a bad stock.

DF

[Linked Image]
I don't know, I was shooting a BC and a McMillan today...both to 1000 yds. Both worked as intended. If a BC or HS fits you, then there is no problem with owning one. McMillan has a lot more options though.

I agree with everyone who states/claims that McMillan and Manners are a step (or more) above a B&C or an HS P; but, don't let anyone convince you B&C and HS P are junk. They are quality stocks and are definitely a significant improvement, in my opinion, over most factory stocks. I have a couple of McMillans on rifles that wore B&C and HS while I was saving and looking for the higher priced, better performing ones and never had a regret. I've actually owned a couple of HS P and B&C, and still do, that have convinced me not to take the step up to the next level.
I'm one of the weirdos who thinks that while McMillians are great (own one), they aren't worth what they charge for them, and the wait times aren't worth it either. I've used B&C's with zero problems on very accurate rifles so I'm somewhat a fan. I think they could use a slimmer grip, but no biggie.
Got both myself now JGR, and I concur,,,had very good luck with the B&Cs
There you have it.

The Poobah has spoken... cool

Amazing how easy it is to resolve an issue... grin

DF
I own 6 of the BC Ti stocks. I have also owned HS in the past. I did not like the extra weight of the HS versus the BC. I did not want to spend the $$ on the MCM Edge, although they are very well regarded. I think they are are all good stocks just BC is a better deal for the $$ IMHO.
you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the brands unless you use the Light Weight BC Stock
Part of the problem here is that there is no place around me that stocks aftermarket stocks. that makes it difficult to try them. 350 is the most that I'm willing to spend here.
I purchased a HS Precision from stockystocks and can say I'm not too impressed. It was not a "drop in" ready like I thought. I paid a gunsmith to fit it and believe he jacked it up even more. The bolt handle "rubs" the stock and has left a black marks in the area of it. I also have gotten very erratic accuracy even with a custom barrel installed on it. I tend to think the stock is "binding" I will have to tinker some more with it.
If you paid a smith to fix it, I'd be talking to him...

DF
wait times are no different on MC than on a top line barrel.

In the end it all depends on what your needs are.

IMHO, its eitehr factory or MC. Even factory tupperware stocks, bedded and floated have given super hard service for folks while retaining accuracy. About the only issue migth be sling tension and not many folks know that a sling is good for more than carrying these days.

Since HS had the Lon Horiuchi thing... I'd probably go BC between the two. But BC just feels clumsy and weird to me.

So I just save the cash and do the right thing.
I haven't forgotten ole Lon and HS sucking up on him to get Fed contracts.

I traded for an HS SPL .240 Wby. So, by trading, not buying from HS, I justified the deal. To their credit, HS makes their own barrels, even their triggers, all top notch.

But, the stock was a club, weighed 42 oz. I dropped that barreled action in a McM Hunters Edge, weighing 26 oz. Great improvement. In fact, I sent the barreled action to McM. They had a program to inlet the action, not the SPL barrel. Well now they do...

DF
© 24hourcampfire