Home
Posted By: StudDuck Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/16/15
Considering the purchase of a current production Remington 700 SS Mountain Rifle chambered in 270Win.

What can you tell me about the rifles?

Are they coming in at the advertised 6.5lbs, how is the fit and finish, typical accuracy, etc?

Thanks.
Posted By: woofer Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/16/15
Shoot well. Great stock if it fits you. Not a fan of the finish but it is what Remmy has available these days. Weight is usually very close. Price wise your into a pretty big bowl with quite a few good options. If your not sold on 700 only there are other comparable rifles out there under a grand....

W
Posted By: OldRook Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/16/15
I have a remington LSS in 30-06, was my go to gun for a while and love everything about it other than the recoil. Put a brake on it and she is a peach to shoot.

I don't see going wrong for the money on one.

I've got a much nicer version of a mtn rifle for a whole lot more money and the remington more than holds its own with the high dollar version.. But it's just not as cool as the spendy one smile
They are nice by all means but, i hope you ave better luck than i did. I ordered one in 308. It came in with the stock pushing into the barrel on one side and a huge gap on the other. (It should have never let the factory like this) They sent me a new stock with no problem. The 2nd and 3rd stock they sent were same way. They asked me to shoot it. So I did and I had to extract the spent shell by beating the bolt and case backwards with a cleaning rod with 3 different kinds of ammo. I finally got a refund. They are nice but I had a bad experience. Remington quality control has went chitt. The only reason I bought it was because I couldn't find another montana in 308 at the time for my son. Take it from me spend the extra little bit and get the kimber montana plus it's a pound lighter.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/17/15
I might consider one of these if it was available in .300 Win Mag but it's not so I bought a Tikka Superlight ......too much plastikka for my taste but like all the Tikka fanboys love to remind you it shoots very accurate! ..(just like almost any other modern rifle brand does....lol)..........Hb
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/17/15
Can anyone take a set of calipers and tell me what the width of the barrel is at the end of the stock and at the crown?

I like the concept, but by the time it's scoped, you've got a 7.5lb rifle with a very thin barrel; which i don't like.

I may just purchase a CDL or SF CDL drop it in a Kevlar stock and be done with it.

Just not sure yet.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/17/15
Take a look at this old post starting on page 2 towards the bottom of the page. It might be helpful to you? I tried to show the contour difference between a Mtn rifle and a KS contour barrel and stock. I measured the barrel at various points. Hope its helpful. Here is link:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6749955/2
Thanks Oregonmuley, I'll check it out.

I just purchased a used KS and like the contour of the barrel compared to my son's CDL. I like cutting weight in the stock rather than the barrel, so the CDL's contour is about as small as I want to go.

If the finished weight of the rifle you desire doesn't come in at what you're shooting for, just lose enough body weight to make up the difference.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
If the finished weight of the rifle you desire doesn't come in at what you're shooting for, just lose enough body weight to make up the difference.

LMAO!! Good one!

I should've known that would come back to bite me.
grin
Posted By: Oakster Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/17/15
I have been looking at these rifles as well. The stock seems to be fairly thick, especially in the palm swell area. I am currently debating between the .280 and a .30-06. I really want the .280, but for shots under 300 yards and being carried in the mountains, what benefit does the .280 get me over the .30-06. Seems the .30-06 would be the better caliber in those conditions.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/18/15
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Take a look at this old post starting on page 2 towards the bottom of the page. It might be helpful to you? I tried to show the contour difference between a Mtn rifle and a KS contour barrel and stock. I measured the barrel at various points. Hope its helpful. Here is link:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6749955/2

Oregonmuley,

The pics were very helpful, thank you.

I assume the barrel contour for a CDL would fall somewhere between the two?
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/18/15
If you are looking at a standard CDL it should come with a "sporter" contour barrel. If a stainless fluted CDL I believe those are a Remington "magnum" contour. The sporter would be thicker than either of those.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/18/15
If you are looking at a standard CDL it should come with a "sporter" contour barrel. If a stainless fluted CDL I believe those are a Remington "magnum" contour. The sporter would be thicker than either of those.

Sorry, but I am confused here. The Rem Mag contour is the thickest of the 3 discussed here.

Mtn Rifle is thinner than a Sporter that is thinner than a Magnum.
Sorry - in reading my reply I meant to say the CDL would be thicker than the KS or Mtn Rifle. Not thicker than a magnum.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/18/15
Sorry - in reading my reply I meant to say the CDL would be thicker than the KS or Mtn Rifle. Not thicker than a magnum.

I figured it was a clerical error. Just wanted to clarify.
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I figured it was a clerical error. Just wanted to clarify.

Yup, just before the caffeine kicked in this morning-grin
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/19/15

I don't have my measurements with me, but my KS is thicker at the muzzle than a CDL I recently found to measure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mountain contour should be even thinner than that.

It should run, from thickest to thinnest: KS, CDL, Mountain; correct?
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/19/15
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I don't have my measurements with me, but my KS is thicker at the muzzle than a CDL I recently found to measure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mountain contour should be even thinner than that.

It should run, from thickest to thinnest: KS, CDL, Mountain; correct?

Well, I'm not sure about that. I don't currently have a CDL, I did have one a few year ago and sure thought they came with a standard Remington "sporter" contour barrel, like a current SPS. A sporter contour should be about .630 - .640 at the muzzle, a KS should be about .595 - .60 and a Mtn contour should be about .56. With the KS and CDL measured at the muzzle @ 24" and the Mtn @ 22".

I'm sure if I'm off a bit someone will hopefully chime in but I think I'm pretty close to the measurements on the above contours.
I'll post my measurements this evening when I get home.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/19/15
Fairly certain the Mtn and KS are very similar in profile...the muzzle measurement being larger ob your KS vs CDL may be because it is shorter????

Anyways...the KS profile is said to be around a PacNor #1...that is thin.
My KS Mountain rifle has the heaviest contour of any rifle in my cabinet, it's on par with the contour of a Ruger M77 MKII. I don't know this to be fact, but did the Custom Shop put a heavier contoured barrel on the magnums?

The barreled action with magazine spring and follower weighs 5.32lbs and the Brown Precision Kevlar stock comes in at 18oz.

Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/19/15
I know they did with the MR contour; my saums are much heavier contour (and overall) than the standards.
Here's the measurements I said I'd post. Please keep in mind that I don't have a high-dollar set of calipers, so the measurements may be slightly off.

Both barrels are 24", with measurements taken at the muzzle.

M700 KS Mountain rifle, 300Win Mag: .644"

M700 CDL, 270Win: .559"

I assumed the "mountain" contour would be less than the CDL measurement.

ETA: Just checked OregonMuley's measurements on another thread and my KS has a larger diameter than his; perhaps because it's a magnum? However, the CDL measurement is within .003 of his Mountain Guide rifle. This makes me wonder if my buddy handed me a Mountain Rifle, rather than a CDL.
Posted By: Dayton Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/20/15
My M700 CDL in 35 Whelen with factory sporter contour barrel mics .650" at 24". The barreled action sitting in a McMillan Hunter and not the factory wood stock, mics .685" at the forend-tip or about 9 3/4" from the front face of the recoil lug.
Posted By: ts300wsm Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/22/15
I'm thinking of one in 308 or maybe a model seven stainless in 308
Posted By: John_G Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/22/15
Mt. Rifle over M7 any day: better balanced, better design of the receiver and scope mt. bases, generally more accurate, more performance, still plenty light.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/22/15
Ain't shot many Sevens, have you? And you haven't touched one of the new ones in a newer fiberglass stock in the last 8 years or so?
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 02/22/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Ain't shot many Sevens, have you? And you haven't touched one of the new ones in a newer fiberglass stock in the last 8 years or so?

That's what I am assuming. Model 7's balance very nicely...there are plenty of options for mounting optics and they're just as strong as any other design. An I do mot see how the m700 is a 'better design' at all...
Posted By: ts300wsm Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 03/09/16
I just picked one up today in 280 Rem. didn't get a chance to shoot it yet but the fit and finish is excellent I'm gonna try some Federal 150 grain Nosler Partitions
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 03/09/16
I've owned a couple of the originals made in the 1990's. One in 30-06 and one in 280. They would often put the 1st 2 shots into virtually the same hole. The 3rd shot would usually open up to about an inch or so. After 3 shots they were all over the target. Not really a huge deal on a hunting rifle though.

I like a fairly light gun as well as anyone, but have decided I'd rather have some weight in the barrel and lose the weight in the stock.

This is my 42 year old 700 ADL in an Edge stock. It out shoots any of the Mt rifles and is 7.25 lbs as shown. A Leupold scope would get it to 7 lbs even. That is about as light as I want on an all around rifle. And I have a sub 6 lb Kimber.

[Linked Image]
I've got a LSS(7mm-08) mountain rifle. It measures .585 at the end of the stock and .560 at the muzzle! Hope that helps ya some! 22" tube
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 03/09/16
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
I've got a LSS(7mm-08) mountain rifle. It measures .585 at the end of the stock and .560 at the muzzle! Hope that helps ya some! 22" tube

Here is mine:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman

Here is mine:
[Linked Image]

Very nice!
Posted By: Shag Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 03/09/16
Originally Posted by 50vmaxshooter
They are nice by all means but, i hope you ave better luck than i did. I ordered one in 308. It came in with the stock pushing into the barrel on one side and a huge gap on the other. (It should have never let the factory like this) They sent me a new stock with no problem. The 2nd and 3rd stock they sent were same way. They asked me to shoot it. So I did and I had to extract the spent shell by beating the bolt and case backwards with a cleaning rod with 3 different kinds of ammo. I finally got a refund. They are nice but I had a bad experience. Remington quality control has went chitt. The only reason I bought it was because I couldn't find another montana in 308 at the time for my son. Take it from me spend the extra little bit and get the kimber montana plus it's a pound lighter.

This just handled a 7mm-08 a week ago. At first I thought wow! Then I noticed the barrel channel fit and It honestly was the worst I'd ever seen. I cannot believe Remington allowed crap like that out of the factory. The 84M worth every extra penny IMO. I'm happy for those that got a Mountain Rifle and are pleased.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Remington SS Mtn Rifle - 03/09/16
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Here's the measurements I said I'd post. Please keep in mind that I don't have a high-dollar set of calipers, so the measurements may be slightly off.

Both barrels are 24", with measurements taken at the muzzle.

M700 KS Mountain rifle, 300Win Mag: .644"

M700 CDL, 270Win: .559"

I assumed the "mountain" contour would be less than the CDL measurement.

ETA: Just checked OregonMuley's measurements on another thread and my KS has a larger diameter than his; perhaps because it's a magnum? However, the CDL measurement is within .003 of his Mountain Guide rifle. This makes me wonder if my buddy handed me a Mountain Rifle, rather than a CDL.

This got me curious, so I pulled out my calipers as well...

Both barrels are also 24", with measurements taken at the muzzle, as per SD

M700 KS Mountain rifle, 280 rem: .591"

M700 ti MR 300 SAUM : .642"

And for comparison, a std mountain rifle profile, 22" at muzzle

M700 tI MR '06: .558"
© 24hourcampfire