Home
Posted By: 1Nut Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Ok. I have to take back everything I ever said about Kimber's Montana. I gave in and ordered one in 308. Took possession yesterday, checked the Campfire list of 'tweaks' and loaded some rounds last evening. This is from today's range session. Nothing done to the rifle but checked the mag box to make sure it would wiggle (it did), adjusted the trigger to 2.5 lbs, and made sure the front action screw did not bottom out (it didn't). So here are the results with it fresh out of the box, with VX2 2-7 mounted in Talleys.

150 TTSX over 45 gr H4895: 5 shots into 1.1"
150 NAB over 46.5 gr Varget: 5 shots into .7"

[Linked Image]

Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Fantastic! Congratulations! smile

Perfect scope for that rifle too!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
That might just work. wink
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
I'm liking it. I think either of those loads will do just about anything needin' doin" in NA.

Both loads read just north of 2800 fps. Not sure if I just got lucky on those book loads from Nosler and Barnes, or if the rifle is just that good.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
I'm not sure why that would surprise you. But congrats on having a nice rifle to enjoy.
Posted By: prm Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Not bad for a flyweight rifle!
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'm not sure why that would surprise you. But congrats on having a nice rifle to enjoy.

Owned one previously in 30-06. I couldn't get it to shoot, got impatient with it and sold it.

I continued to hold a grudge until the Montana Clan on here (unknowingly) convinced me to try another. Went 308 this time...
Posted By: Brad Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Bedding is never a bad thing with any Montana, especially the forward receiver/shank. Cutting an 84L's barrel an inch or two isn't a bad idea either. Ditto a light trigger.

But a 308 is the no-brainer Montana choice of the century (grin).
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15

Try the 155 Scenar, if only to see the real potential.
Might do a skim bed and try the 155 Scenar. Always like playing with different things.

But honestly don't see needing more than the results realized with the 150 NAB!
I've yet to see a 308 MT that wouldn't shoot several things VERY well.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

Both loads read just north of 2800 fps. Not sure if I just got lucky on those book loads from Nosler and Barnes, or if the rifle is just that good.

I wouldn't fret 2,900 from a 22" tube.

I was lobbing the 150 TTSX and NPTG at those speeds this morning. (M77 MkII)

May have to "pull the trigger" on one of the '08 Montanas for a mtn. rifle.
Posted By: prm Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
I hope you do give a skim bed. I never wait long enough to shoot it before and after bedding so I don't really know if it has made a difference. I've found the Scenars do shoot real well. But that's out of a rifle that seems to shoot everything well. Put a little Varget behind one and try it.
This rifle seemed to prefer Varget over 4064 with the NABs. Maybe a skim bed will be done tomorrow and hunt for some Scenars.

Appreciate the replies. fellas. grin
Posted By: 28lx Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15

Skim bed it and for sh*ts and giggles try some 165 gr Sierra HPGK's
Posted By: Shodd Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
I'd skim bed it and stick with the Accubond and Varget. I'd most likely touch up the Crown a bit with a pushrod and lapping compound.

Then I'd go shoot critters all day long anywhere out to 500 ish yds.

Shod
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
There's a lot of people that have never owned a Montana that are going to tell you, you're lucky.

Travis
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
I think a 308 Montana is as good as it gets for a hunting rifle...
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
It's funny how people can get in a rut and start criticizing one particular rifle when all the time you could find just as many bad reports about nearly any model or make.
At 6 lbs all up, this thing will be a joy to tote.

Anyone killed game with the Scenars?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Wow.
I'm amazed at what passes for acceptable accuracy here.
Originally Posted by deflave
There's a lot of people that have never owned a Montana that are going to tell you, you're lucky.

Travis

He is the luckiest sumbeach I know. laugh Someday I might get to be a lucky sumbeach. grin

Shod
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Originally Posted by ringworm
Wow.

Yea, he should have only posted the few really exceptional groups like everyone else.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Congrats on your new rifle.
Posted By: RDW Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
At 6 lbs all up, this thing will be a joy to tote.

Anyone killed game with the Scenars?

No, Scenar's are match bullets and pencil right through everything from coyotes to bears.
Wow.

I was happy for the first range session with no tweaking of loads or rifle. 1" 5-shot groups will kill to 500 easily if I do my part. .67" for 5 shots with NABs at 2850 fps is pretty damn good in my book out of this lightweight.

As far as 155 Scenars, I answered my own question here:

Scenars
Wow.

I was happy for the first range session with no tweaking of loads or rifle. 1" 5-shot groups will kill to 500 easily if I do my part. .67" for 5 shots with NABs at 2850 fps is pretty damn good in my book out of this lightweight.

The target in the picture says 1.1" and 1.2"

Just sayin

Shod
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
Love it! Mine shoots like a target rifle with 45-grains of Varget and 168-NBT.
Originally Posted by Shodd
Wow.

The target in the picture says 1.1" and 1.2"

Just sayin

Shod

Yes. Look closely. 5 shots. One is outside the group. I will work on the 1.1 and 1.2 TTSX groups. Skim bedding today...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still doesn't shoot better than my 788 in 308 or my 260 Tikker. But it ain't bad, and I'm not done yet. wink
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
So, as I understand it, you won't be sending this one down the road any time soon?
Could be you found a new favorite!
yessir. I can't imagine parting with this one. It shows promise. And losing more than a pound off my back when hiking the hills sounds very attractive.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1020117.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1020118.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1020119.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1020120.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
we need calipers..
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
we need calipers..

And some RL15.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Montana WOW - 03/01/15
That's a keeper. Hunt the heck out of it.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
we need calipers..

And some RL15.

I've switched to Varget since then... these Kimbers, what a crap shoot.
Is that a factory tube Brad?

Shod
Yup.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
155 Scenars in a 308 Montana are a badass combo....

Tanner
Posted By: Teal Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

How are they on 900 yard headshots?
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Wow.

Show us what's acceptable.

Travis
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Good shooting Brad and 1Deernut. With consistent shooting form, its nice to see how a lightweight can perform.
Posted By: lastround Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
If that rifle shoots five into .67, I wouldn't touch it. It ain't for benchrest. Nice!
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Wow.

Always amusing to hear from guys that never leave the 300 yard line..

Open invitation to you to come air that POS styer out.I'll grab a Remlin out of the corner and kick your ass with it. You window lickers are a riot.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Looks good to me!!! Heck I am happy with anything inside 1.5" at 100 yards though. I find that "acceptable accuracy" given the distances I shoot game from. Anything tighter than that is a bonus!!!

You don't need a sub MOA rifle to kill any big game animal inside 300 yards contrary to popular opinion. wink

Congrats on the new rifle 1Deernut!

Posted By: 1Nut Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Thanks, guys. I'm plenty happy with the accuracy of the rifle with both 150 NABs and 150 TTSXs. I've punched enough paper, rang enough steel, and killed enough animals out to 500 to know that 1 MOA is acceptable if the shooter does his part. In fact, I loaded 40 more of the 150NABs last evening. Can't see improving on that load much!

Ordered 100 Scenars last evening after doing a skim bed. The rifle didn't seem to need it, but it makes me feel better that the bedding is tight.

Looking forward to more shooting, and spinning dials for distance. Should be a nice little rig.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Very nice!!! I wish I could shoot that well.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Nice rig, nice shooting 1Deernut.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Thanks, JGR. One of my better days...
Posted By: Higginez Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Thanks, guys. I'm plenty happy with the accuracy of the rifle with both 150 NABs and 150 TTSXs. I've punched enough paper, rang enough steel, and killed enough animals out to 500 to know that 1 MOA is acceptable if the shooter does his part. In fact, I loaded 40 more of the 150NABs last evening. Can't see improving on that load much!

Ordered 100 Scenars last evening after doing a skim bed. The rifle didn't seem to need it, but it makes me feel better that the bedding is tight.

Looking forward to more shooting, and spinning dials for distance. Should be a nice little rig.

It's pretty dang impressive what a 1" gun will actually do when not shot at paper. Lots of guys get hung up on groups, as do I sometimes. But groups are a fools game and hitting stuff is the fun part. Enjoy the Kimber.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Look'n good. After the barrel breaks in those groups should tighten up even more.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Montana WOW - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by Higbean

It's pretty dang impressive what a 1" gun will actually do when not shot at paper. Lots of guys get hung up on groups, as do I sometimes. But groups are a fools game and hitting stuff is the fun part. Enjoy the Kimber.

I think it was Steelhead years ago that said he'd much rather own a "hitter" than a "grouper".

He won't wrong.
Posted By: Shodd Re: Montana WOW - 03/03/15

It's pretty dang impressive what a 1" gun will actually do when not shot at paper.

If it will average 5" or less at 500 yds then its a 1" gun. If not then its just another gun being called a 1" gun.

Shod
Posted By: Tanner Re: Montana WOW - 03/03/15
You haven't figured out that accuracy ain't linear yet?

Tanner
Posted By: EdM Re: Montana WOW - 03/03/15
I have never owned a rifle that wouldn't do both.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Montana WOW - 03/03/15
You haven't figured out that accuracy ain't linear yet?

Tanner

Sure it is! The further away the bigger the groups! Right? smile

That's linear!
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Montana WOW - 03/03/15
Originally Posted by Shodd

It's pretty dang impressive what a 1" gun will actually do when not shot at paper.

If it will average 5" or less at 500 yds then its a 1" gun. If not then its just another gun being called a 1" gun.

Shod

Kinda like someone on the 'Fire that posts 1 asshat remark per hour only being called an azzhole vs. posting 5 asshat remarks in 5 hours actually being an azzhole?
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Montana WOW - 03/06/15
I'd say you're plenty good to go with that rifle/load combo. Good shooting!
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Montana WOW - 03/07/15
Nice lightweight rig!.......Congrats!....................Hb
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Montana WOW - 03/07/15

Tanner

100 155 Scenars now in hand. Anybody got a good starting load for this Montucky?
Posted By: deflave Re: Montana WOW - 03/07/15
44.5gr's of RL 15.

Travis
Thanks, Travis. grin
Posted By: prm Re: Montana WOW - 03/07/15

100 155 Scenars now in hand. Anybody got a good starting load for this Montucky?

Varget. Work up to somewhere between 45 and 46.5 and I predict you'll find happiness.
I will try Varget too. Thanks,
Posted By: Lazarus_Long Re: Montana WOW - 03/08/15
Wow.

Unless you can shoot better than 1" 5 shot groups from field positions, this rifle has more than acceptable accuracy.

That's a damn fine looking rifle you got there.
© 24hourcampfire