Home
Picked up a MRC XWR .308 a couple of weeks ago through Shortactionsmoker at Whittaker's Guns. Haven't had a chance to shoot it until today. I'm impressed. Here's 10 shots from the prone with bipod at 100 yards with no load development.

John

[Linked Image]
Looks damn good John. Keep us informed on how it shoots other loads too!!!! You running a Zeiss on that bad boy? Pics man, pics....

With shooting like that, you also need to shoot Carl Ross' positional match... wink.. Thanks for sharing buddy. I'm wanting to get a MRC in lefty 9.3x62mm...
Ya gotta be happy with that!
Good deal John! I'd say that's a keeper...
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
... I'd say that's a keeper...

+1 ... Time to go hunt...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks damn good John. Keep us informed on how it shoots other loads too!!!! You running a Zeiss on that bad boy? Pics man, pics....

With shooting like that, you also need to shoot Carl Ross' positional match... wink.. Thanks for sharing buddy. I'm wanting to get a MRC in lefty 9.3x62mm...

Here's the only pic I have right now. I put a 16x SS on it just for evaluation and load development. I have a 2.5-10x Zeiss HD5 in for repair. I don't know if that will go on it when it returns, or something else.

I'm really digging the rifle. The comb height is far better than most. The magazine box is generous, perfect for those wanting to shoot the VLDs from an '08 case, and I'm pretty sure anything on the .284 case would be good on this action too. Feeding, extraction etc are flawless. I like it. Too bad it's a gift for my son-in-law... grin

[Linked Image]
Awesome picture. Looks damn good to me. You have a very lucky SIL!!!
Seems that good men are hard to come by nowadays, meaning those that will stick out a little adversity every now and then. My daughter managed to find one who loves her and cares for her and is in it for the long haul so the Mrs. and I wanted to show our appreciation. He want's to get into hunting, and I figured we'd get him started right. Of course, this gift was birthday, and will likely be the next couple of Christmases and birthdays too!

John
Have to ask, why didn't you go with the new X2 stock design model?

I'm anxious to try the new model. My small hands just don't fit the older BC stock model. Nice shooting by the way!
From the pictures, the X2 stock appears to have more drop at comb than the XWR. I have a difficult time finding a stock that will give an adequate cheek weld. The grip is a little big on the XWR, but it is worth it to me to have a good cheek weld.

John
Nice! Got any more daughters? grin
Is that with the new stock or the old stock? Get a chance put it on a scale?
This is the old B&C stock. I don't have a scale capable of weighing low weights with any fidelity.

John
Calvin,

I have the same rifle in 308 with a 24" barrel. It weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces without scope or bases.

fyi for those that want a Pic rail, EGW makes a nice one. Avoid the Farrel Pic rail.
In the pic above are Burris XTB bases. Pic slots but much lower profile than a milspec rail, for those that like mounting their scopes as low as possible. Just throwing another option out there.

John
John, I like those and made note of them. I use the XTR's on 1913 mil specs (and also an EGW rail) sometimes and they have been very strong/solid. You should also tell that 1 deernut guy to stay away from your daughter or he might have to change his screen name to no deer nuts... laugh
That dog will hunt! Nice shooting!
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Here's the only pic I have right now. I put a 16x SS on it just for evaluation and load development. I have a 2.5-10x Zeiss HD5 in for repair. I don't know if that will go on it when it returns, or something else.

I'm really digging the rifle. The comb height is far better than most. The magazine box is generous, perfect for those wanting to shoot the VLDs from an '08 case, and I'm pretty sure anything on the .284 case would be good on this action too. Feeding, extraction etc are flawless. I like it. Too bad it's a gift for my son-in-law... grin

[Linked Image]

24" barrel? For some reason it looks longer than that, but it just might be the angle of the pic.
Unfortunately I've come across a few of those Burris bases that were undersize in width.
Originally Posted by Lonny
24" barrel? For some reason it looks longer than that, but it just might be the angle of the pic.

24" barrel. I think the forend on the XWR is a little shorter than most, making the barrel look longer. I like the look…

John
Originally Posted by mathman
Unfortunately I've come across a few of those Burris bases that were undersize in width.

I've never put a caliper to them, but have never had any that a ring won't clamp to, and never had a ring come loose from one. I usually use them in conjunction with the Burris XTR rings and have been completely satisfied. On the XWR above, used the XTB bases with the Super Sniper rings, and so far, they seem perfectly fine.

John
I found them accidentally by having Burris Signature Zee rings not clamp securely to them. So I got out the calipers and started measuring things.

I did like the low mounting aspect.
Any more recent reports on Montana Rifle company. I just saw where a Safari club chapter is auctioning off a MRC rifle in their fundraiser. Looks like a nice rifle for a good price
© 24hourcampfire