Home
Posted By: Buck1919 Ruger American Magazines - 03/30/15
Has anyone had problems with the magazines on their Ruger Americans? I am thinking of buying this rifle because of all of the accuracy stories I have read about.... but I looked at one of the magazines today and thought it looked pretty cheesy. I am looking at the 223 caliber.
Posted By: Buck1919 Re: Ruger American Magazines - 03/30/15
I just found the thread about the magazine modification. That pretty much answered my question..unless anyone else has some input.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Ruger American Magazines - 03/30/15
I had one of the early 223 and my factory mag would not feed the last round. I returned it to Ruger and they replaced it with one that would. This was before I knew about how to modify them. The new mag they sent me works fine.

The 308 I bought works just fine as well
Posted By: tzone Re: Ruger American Magazines - 03/30/15
the mag on my son's Ruger American .223 Compact sucks. the last round hangs up EVERY time.

Could you please post a link to the modification?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Ruger American Magazines - 03/30/15
[quote=shortactionsmoker]

I can help with the magazine feeding issue. I ran into the same problem with some of my mags. Bottom line....the opening isn't wide enough and the follower spring isn't strong enough to push the last round through the top when no other cartridges are putting pressure on the spring.

Too tight....

[Linked Image]

Just right....

[Linked Image]

Take a Dremel and open the lips a bit. The picture above shows how much I remove. I don't think a little excess matters either.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Ruger American Magazines - 03/30/15
A file works too
A call to Ruger got me new magazines for 2 Americans that would not feed last round. Took about a week, no charge. Now works flawlessly. Great rifles, great CS, recommend getting one!
© 24hourcampfire