Home
Posted By: RWE Talk me out of it - Mauser 3000. - 05/11/15
What's the good and bad on these Heym made Mauser 3000's?

I know where one be, and its causing itches that need scratched.

I promised the wife no more projects for a while, and I am pushing my luck with a little lunch time secret I am working on, and if I buy this gun I will be compelled to turn it into a 30-06 or a 7x57.

So, are they worth buying and if so, at what rate, and going through the effort to rebarrel given I will be getting some static?
Trying to remember Frank DeHaas book Bolt Action Rifles. I think it was Mauser 3000 actions used by Heym and called SR20. Sample I played with was .375 Safari Rifle (Heym SR 20 imported by Heckler & Koch) with modified three position safety with rear express sight. Very smooth action the only complaint was that in order to load three shot magazine one had to angle rounds toward the chamber and then move them back because ejection port was too short to drop them in and push down for the loaded .375 round. This would not be a problem with 7x57 or .30-06. Not sure what the trigger on stock 3000 action would be because Safari Rifle had upgrade in form of Timney unit installed at the Heym factory. It was needless to say first rate.
That's where my research is getting wobbly.

Some say that Heym made them for mauser in a budget fashion (round stock action with a welded recoil lug) and after they were done with the contract, they ramped things up for their SR actions.

Which begs the question of quality between the 3000 series and the SR series.

Some say equal with the difference being in the lug mainly, the fact that it is {gasp} welded on the 3000 as opposed to milled from solid, and occasionally the bolt stop.

But all this is spotty google info at best, so I just don't know....
If you're having any doubts, slowly turn 180 degrees and run in the opposite direction, especially if it's going to interfere with your domestic tranquility.

I had a little lunch-time secret I was working on once, but we broke it off!
Domestic tranquility aside, the worst she could do is cut me off, but that would only give me more time to work on guns.

Even at my advanced stage of decay, I'm not ready to make that trade yet.

Everything in balance, Grasshopper!
Ok, it does not have rotating claw extractor and fixed ejector plus parts are made of unobtainium.
I have a new old stock 3000L 375 length action in my shop. I will check it out and report back tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I have a new old stock 3000L 375 length action in my shop. I will check it out and report back tomorrow.

Anxiously awaiting that info.

Lefty huh?

Dibs....
Originally Posted by Slavek
Ok, it does not have rotating claw extractor and fixed ejector plus parts are made of unobtainium.

+1
Had One in 30-06. Very accurate, and well balanced. Stock fit is nice. it shot well. heavy extractor.

bad point for me is the trigger guard and floorplate are a alloy and it has a cheap release mechanism that will break in a short period of time. The welded on recoil lug is one of those "what were they thinking" moments. the safety lever and latch are also pot metal and that probably wont last long either.
I checked out the left hand Mauser 3000L action I have in stock. I appears to have the recoil lug welded on as stated above. I was a real nice job and machined after. Action is 375 length and bolt face. I put three loaded Federal Premium 300 grain Partitions in the magazine box with no problems. Extractor is of the M-16 pinned type but it is wider and longer. Barrel thread is the same as a 98. Serial number is in the 94K range. Bottom metal is alloy.
First read registered as "Maser 3000" ... WTF moment 37 for today ... Carry on.

GE
I too have a Mauser 3000L lefty that belonged to my late father. Weatherby style stock which goes against my grain but it's very comfortable. The recoil lug is welded on. The rifle is very high quality. No pot metal on anything except for alloy bottom metal. It is a quality firearm with an extremely nice finish and very smooth bolt.
Pics please, for those us who don't....
I've owned a half-dozen or so, all left handed. Still have one in .270. They're good rifles. I've never had a problem with the floorplate release or safety on any of them (some of those rifles were pretty well-used, too), and the recoil lug deal is like, "so what".

As stated above, a 98 Mauser barrel will screw right on a 3000 action.

Finally - PARTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM NUMRICH.
I'd say pick one up... box it up and mail it to another forum member...

then your conscience will be clean... whistle

if you need a volunteer, PM me... grin
My New Old Stock 3000L left hand is for sale if anybody wants it. $400 shipped to your FFL
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
My New Old Stock 3000L left hand is for sale if anybody wants it. $400 shipped to your FFL

That's a great deal for Heym quality.
I have one in 270 ...they are a wonderful action. With a good extractor.. On par with the older Sakos.. Only thing I don't like is the safety. It's kinda hung on there like an afterthought.. They work fine tho...
I picked one up in .30/06 used few years back. Played with it for couple years. Had a slow barrel. Same load (165 NBT, same powder, charge, primer, brass and OAL) that yielded 2900 fps in my 22" bbl A-Bolt was doing good to break 2700 fps in the 22" bbl 3000. Accuracy was so so (1.25-2.00"). It was traded down the road.
© 24hourcampfire