Home
You know what they say, 3 strikes and you're OUT!

This is my third Kimber and it looks like number three was not the charm I envisioned.

Beautiful conditions so I took advantage of an afternoon off work.

And speaking of work, it looks like I'll have my mine cut out for me with this UBER POS.....

Initial load work-up.

150 grain Ballistic Tips at 205 yards.

1.75" for 5 quick shots.

[Linked Image]

More erratic accuracy.

150 grain Partition at 205 yards.

Again, 1.75" for 5 shots. Had a decent group going until the dreaded flyer.....

[Linked Image]

Only gusting to 38mph so I guess sub MOA at 200 yards isn't totally chitty. Will admit that I setup into the wind....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What a tragedy. I just knew those Kimbers wouldn't live up to the hype...

So were you shooting across the hood? And I love that reuse of campaign sign for something worthwhile.
Sorry you got stuck w/ a POS. I've been looking for a donor and will happily give you $300 to help recover some of your loss.

David
Sam, is this a 270 Win. ?

Good luck with your new Kimber.
HnS, negative on the hood shooting, prone with bipod.

I couldn't find a scrap piece of plywood so the old sign was just the ticket once I got it tethered down. Usually shoot steel but drove to a field about a mile from my house and didn't have anything to hang plates.

C9, yeah I know, even tinkered with it and still got stuck with the proverbial turd.

$300 actually sounds pretty good.

Randy, yep, a 270 Winchester. Guess they aren't known for being very accurate in the first place so I shouldn't feel so bad.

Good shooting. Yeah, everyone I've had, shot well. Looks like yours is doing the same.
That'll do. Go test it out on a spring bear.
If it doesn't shoot BT's it's not going to shoot.

Try some good old fashioned factory ammo, I bet it will shoot one ragged hole.
Sorry for the crappy luck on this one Sam. I'd trade it to Ingwe since it's a 270 laugh
1 3/4 @ 200 with a 38 mph wind?
Fluffy, yes.

Gusting to 38 mph but mostly just a headwind. Hopefully some more tweaks will tighten it up....

"Pretty fancy shiit" indeed...even with the "pretty fancy set-up", there is no way in hell I'm shooting those groups in that wind. Good on ya.
Pure luck.

Best thing about a 270 is that it's an inherently lucky cartridge.
I'd send that one back, Sam. No, wait.............
Doug, my only gripe is the trigger. And the trigger was the last of my 'worries'.

And I tried tweaking it for an hour this morning.

Noticeable creep.

It will go away if you set the sear on 'edge' but I don't want that on a hunting rifle. I set it as close as I felt comfortable and then tossed it on the carpet floor a couple times to see if it'd go off. It didn't.

Can't wait to try it at +400 yards(on a calmer day).

Originally Posted by SamOlson

Funny how that is Sam.

Congrat's man... hope you're dry. Raining the last 2 days here.

Just curious Sam, but H4831, RL-22 or?
Brad, glad to hear you guys are getting some moisture as well, I think the entire state needed a drink!

We got .9" here and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Despite the wind it has been an UBER weekend.

It did indeed need a drink. Not sure where we're at, something like .7 or a bit more I think. Not bad.

I'm in Jackson Hole M-R for the foreseeable future... not a bad sentence (grin).
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Just curious Sam, but H4831, RL-22 or?

Ole, H4831sc from a fresh 8lber I just got in the mail.

Should be good for almost 1k rounds.

56 grains with the BT's and 57.5 for the Partitions.

Did a crude ladder test yesterday to find pressure.

Brad, have fun down there!

I remember you commenting on the new chrome trigger. It is pimp for sure.

The trigger guard on the other hand is lame. Some kind of white looking pot metal chit.

I might swap the old style t/g off my 243, that or try to order one.

Anyone want to trade for the new and improved style?
Sam, congrats on a great shooting Kimber! BTW, Its' been raining and blowing for two days, now it's snowing to beat he!!. eek
Mud, I saw maybe a dozen flakes today and that was all.

Looked at the radar earlier and saw the big snow cloud over your direction!

That is a BIG storm.
I expect to see that crappy Kimber posing beside a big muley this fall!
Very nice Sam. I had a lucky .270 once....
Good for you Sam looks like that Rifle will hunt.

I remember you commenting on the new chrome trigger. It is pimp for sure.

The trigger guard on the other hand is lame. Some kind of white looking pot metal chit.

The trigger guard too?

Damn, the bean counters are apparently having their way...
Pure luck.

Is that your pick up line at the gay bar??
Damn Sam, sorry for your bad luck, oh well I guess you can always use it for tomato stake..... grin.........Hb
If you get the chance, try 60.3 grains of RL 26 with the 150 LRAB. It's an eye opener.
Darrik, that's the plan and sure would be nice!

Bob, haters gonna hate but deep down they know....

Mato, it aughta work!

Brad, I think it's just some type of brushed aluminum? It's actually pretty nice but a slightly different color.

No doubt it's lighter weight. I would honestly trade someone for the original stainless version though.

And FWIW, the 84L weighs 6lb 4oz scoped(6x36 w/Alumina's).

84M(243) weighs 6lb 3.6oz with a 2.5-8x36(w/BC's).

[Linked Image]

BSA, see above you dork.

Hillbilly, it is gardening season!

SU, I had actually ordered a few bags of the 150 LRAB(seconds) from SPS but cancelled the order after reading several reviews.

They are probably fine for long range but I am way more likely to shoot at under 400 yards than over.

3 boxes of 140 Accubonds in mail anyway(and I know those work great).

What velocity are you guys getting with 150's?
Using Alliant data

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...ight=150&shellid=63&bulletid=367

Shooting 150 NP's, with RL26 60.8 grains I'm getting 3,030 mv out of a 22" barrel in my Ti. And nice little groups.

I'm also getting smaller groups using the 150 LRAB and higher speeds due to its smaller bearing surface. I loaded it down to 60.2 for 3,080 mv. yeah, eye opener...

Hello 270 goodby 6.5-284

I came into a NIB Mtn Ascent .....mounted 6x and took a handful of my usual 270 loads [130 TSX over 60 grs H4831] and shot a .800 with the first five shots.....adjusted the scope and fired again to check zero and put it in the safe for my niece when she comes up.

I used to dream of having rifles like this and now it's easily possible. I'm back up to 4 Kimbers in the safe after selling my buddy a 300 wsm.

Still looking for that 260!
Yeah, looks like you got burned. Send that rig down here and I'll straighten it out. cool
Nice shooting Sam, though you probably could tighten 'em up a little if you'd put on some blue tape....grin

I am really starting to drool over .243 Montuckys. Dang you Campfire!
Nice setup!
Pretty solid hunting combo. Might as well get rid of the rest your rifles. I got dibbs on that beatass 270.. Grin
What a shame, another junk Kimber. I will give ya 600.00 for that non shooter....
FWIW, I just got back in from another test.

Shot a 10 shot group at 395 yards. Still breezy(5-15mph) but not too bad.

I checked the target after each shot and knew the bullet that landed at 6 o'clock was a pulled flyer so really other than that poor shot the group wasn't too bad considering. Roughly 6-7" inches across but at least the vertical spread was decent.
Not holding for wind, aimed at the dot for each shot.

I'd go hunting with this load and not worry one bit(58 grs H4831sc and 150 Partition). Virgin(un-sized) brass as well and I expect neck sized(fired) brass will help with accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Does anyone know what material they use for the current production Montana trigger guard?

I read they use aluminum for the Ascent so I am assuming the same is used for the Montana?
A 270 and a Kimber, Ingwe needs one smile
Poobs wouldn't be able to handle the power....
Sometimes even the good guys get burned.

Sorry Sam.

Travis
Originally Posted by mtcurman
Nice shooting Sam, though you probably could tighten 'em up a little if you'd put on some blue tape....grin

I am really starting to drool over .243 Montuckys. Dang you Campfire!

There are some really nice 243 Foresters around....
Give it to TAK.

He can have it spraying 2' patterns in no time!
Hey Sam, that's a nice all terrain 270 you got there! I had contemplated getting a 270 Montana, but when I saw the nice piece of wood on the Classic Select it just said, "Take Me Home!"
Flave, thanks for the kind words but much like the rifle, I am also a POS.

Hawk and Ben, the 243 MT is also a royal POS. No doubt the Sako is a POS as well.

OC, I tried PMing TAK for some POSP(piece of chit pointers) but so far he hasn't got back to me.

M, let me guess, your Classic Select 270 is an UBER POS?!

In all seriousness here is the list of things I did to the rifle.

Bedded it.

Adjusted trigger(it's not perfect but good enough).

Polished up the feed 'rails'.

Zero other issues.

I also did order a longer 'lug' screw. The factory version is a touch too short post-bedding.

It might have shot fine without bedding

Does anyone know what material they use for the current production Montana trigger guard?

I read they use aluminum for the Ascent so I am assuming the same is used for the Montana?

Sam,

All the new Montana's coming into the shop have the same trigger guard as the Ascent. They also have the new shiny trigger. I don't know if they ran out of the old trigger guards or just changed to aluminum to save weight and production cost. I may email them and find out. Weight savings wouldn't be much, so I'm guessing it was a cost cutting measure.
Flave, thanks for the kind words but much like the rifle, I am also a POS.

You're like a Ford.

BOOM....

grin.

Travis
I have the same gun and scope and they are also a POS!

Rather be a Toyota, though😀

Had a feeling you'd suffer your results, Sam! Nice shooting!
Poobs wouldn't be able to handle the power....

Sammo, you really should have called me for gun counseling before buying that piece of crap. Im a gun ex-spurt.

Coulda fixed you up with a Savage Axis at a fraction of the price you paid .....
M, let me guess, your Classic Select 270 is an UBER POS?!

Well Sam, I don't know if it's an Uber POS, but I do know I'm a slut for pretty wood stocks!

I hear the local LGS has Berger VLD Hunting .277 140's in stock. We'll see if this one likes 'em. I've been shooting 150 BT's for so long I might have to learn a new trajectory chart.
Thanks for the info Darrik. An ounce or two won't make a difference to me but for whatever reason I would prefer stainless.

Flave, comparing me to the greatest pickup of all-time is an UBER compliment. Thanks man, it really means a lot.

4winds, sorry to hear you got swindled by Kimber. I guess you could always trade it in on a Tikka.

Ingwe, now you have me thinking.....

Throw in a 4-16x50 sniper scope(under $100 of course) and we might have a deal.

M, what powder/charge weight and velocity do you get with the 150 BT's?

I'm gonna load up some 140 Accubonds this weekend and see how they do.
Sammo...I can do the scope no problem. I'll just mail order a BSA " Sweet .270" and we will be all set! grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sammo...I can do the scope no problem. I'll just mail order a BSA " Sweet .270" and we will be all set! grin

That sounds pretty über. laugh
FWIW, I just got back in from another test.

Shot a 10 shot group at 395 yards. Still breezy(5-15mph) but not too bad.

I checked the target after each shot and knew the bullet that landed at 6 o'clock was a pulled flyer so really other than that poor shot the group wasn't too bad considering. Roughly 6-7" inches across but at least the vertical spread was decent.
Not holding for wind, aimed at the dot for each shot.

I'd go hunting with this load and not worry one bit(58 grs H4831sc and 150 Partition). Virgin(un-sized) brass as well and I expect neck sized(fired) brass will help with accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Gotta be the natty light and not rilfe.... smile

you give it the SAS treatment?

I also did order a longer 'lug' screw. The factory version is a touch too short post-bedding.

Sam,

Did you call Kimber and specify a longer screw when ordering? My 270 Montana, bought here on the 'fire, was bedded by the PO and the screws grabs but two threads at best.
Poobs, great idea!

MM, I agree!

CLB, still haven't shot it on a calm day yet!

I did do the SAS checklist, Talley screws were okay, mag-box all good. Bedded it(like all my rifles), and lightened up the trigger, that was it. That and the below tip.

Ed, this is the way to go. I forget who figured it out but someone mentioned it a few year ago.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/156089/remington-rear-trigger-guard-screw-700-adl-bdl-hex-head

It will probably be too long so compare it to your Kimber screw and trim accordingly. I had to do the same thing with a 243 and now the 270. After bedding the original screw didn't grab enough for my liking so I replaced with a little longer screw.

You can take the bolt out and look down into the action and see the lug screw hole. That's the easiest way to make sure the screw isn't too long and bottoming out.

The Tikka guys would probably have an aneurysm figuring this out....
Shoulda bought a cow barrel....
Thanks Sam. Order in.
Any insight into mag length vs throat length? Were you able to get close to the lands? Nice rig.
Hawk, they do work on cows.

Ed, good deal. Mine showed up on Thursday.

JSH, according to my measurements I can get within' .020" with 150 Partitions(loaded at 3.340" which is max useable for the mag-box). 150 BT's and AB's are .040" away at the same COL.
FWIW, I swapped trigger guards about a week ago to a stainless(original version), the rifle now weighs another 1.7oz's.

New aluminum version is only .8oz, stainless 2.5oz.

Drinking beer on a Saturday afternoon. Bored gack posting.....

140 AB's look like they'll shoot good enough for 400 yard deer and antelope hunting. Still appear to be averaging 3030-3050 fps at 60-80F. Too frikken warm to really get a hunting load but at least a guy can figure out that the rifle is capable. Might kick it back up a grain for the colder weather.

Was shooting by about 6AM this morning and finished up before the wind arrived. Zero breeze which has been a first!

The vertical stringing was the barrel(I think....).

[Linked Image]

Still don't 100% trust the setup yet but it always seems to make a nice little group with the first 3 shots. Of course a 6x scope and the human element also play a factor. Pretty much call every shot a flyer before I check with the spotter....grin

That's work all day long SamO. Nice shootin'. Those 140 AB's are nasty......
Sam, when I got home with mine I looked around in the reloading room and found an older Montana stock back behind some other stuff Darrik had left there. My rifle also now has the old style trigger guard. That's what he gets for leaving stuff in my reloading room.
Doug,
If that's the green painted extra Montana stock from the 7-08, I'm calling dibs (back)!!
Nope, this is a black one he got a while back, a shortened youth model. Sorry Marty........
Originally Posted by ExtremeHunter16
Doug,
If that's the green painted extra Montana stock from the 7-08, I'm calling dibs (back)!!

Didn't you buy that one back?
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by ExtremeHunter16
Doug,

Didn't you buy that one back?

Nope. It must have gotten sold with one of the others we've "traded"...
Originally Posted by lastround
Sam, when I got home with mine I looked around in the reloading room and found an older Montana stock back behind some other stuff Darrik had left there. My rifle also now has the old style trigger guard. That's what he gets for leaving stuff in my reloading room.

Doug, the stainless are way more pimp for sure.

JG, 140 AB's and H4831sc is the uber combo.

Originally Posted by lastround

Doug, the stainless are way more pimp for sure.

JG, 140 AB's and H4831sc is the uber combo.

Oddly enough, I have a Tikker in 270 that loves that combo. Wanna trade? whistle
Sam, when you get done with the preliminary stuff and are ready for some serious bidness lemme know. Cast bullets will cut those groups by at least 12% at half the range.

D
Deernut, no.....grin

Dan, that sounds great!

And speaking of accuracy this was a 243 Montana the same day as the 270.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not bad for a 6lb 3oz scoped rifle shooting 90gr/3150fps at 400 yards, 'cold' bore POI does shift depending on the temp.

I am gonna make some +1 grain winter loads and retest when it gets cold.

Good shooting, Sam.
Sam,

I went through the thread twice, maybe missed it, but where did you land with the 4831 / 140 gr AB combo? Charge and velocity?
Ted, no wind..

Ed, I think 58-59 grains is the sweet spot(CCI 200's).

3000-3080fps on several different days(all +50F).

59 grains will probably be the ticket for colder weather.
Thanks Sam. Always been a 338-06 or 35 Whelen elk hunter (Ed Keith?). Drew my Colorado tag for 2015 with a bud that I have not hunted with in years (certainly his last given his age) and want to run the 270 Montana. Thinking the 140 AB will work. Just been a fatazz bullet guy for years...
Good thread, just finally bought my new Mountain Ascent, with some trepidation, last month and shot it for the first time yesterday at one of my gun clubs.

280AI-Nosler brass, WW Mag. primers, 65-MagPro, 160 NPs.....tiny groups, but, hard to hold well in the wind we had.

I LIKE this and am very satisfied with the overall quality, expect to use it a LOT.
Originally Posted by EdM

Sam,

Did you call Kimber and specify a longer screw when ordering? My 270 Montana, bought here on the 'fire, was bedded by the PO and the screws grabs but two threads at best.

I'm onto my second 270 Kimber Montana. The first one was the same. One and a half thread contact. The second Montana had a longer screw. Perfect size, go figure. Serial no. 4831 :-)
Ed, all I know is they work great on buck deer.

Snap, if shooting very far I generally have a bipod attached and that really settles the rifle down. Purists be damned....grin

A lightweight rifle with a bipod attached might not balance 'perfectly' but I think it's the way to go for a walk around open country hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Might remove 1.5-2" of barrel.

Chiro, my (older)243 lug screw was shorter than the 270(which was fine unbedded) but I ended up replacing them both after bedding.
You sure all that green is in Montana? You been vacationing in Kentucky??
Sam,

Which bipod are you running on the Montana?

Ed, all I know is they work great on buck deer.

Snap, if shooting very far I generally have a bipod attached and that really settles the rifle down. Purists be damned....grin

A lightweight rifle with a bipod attached might not balance 'perfectly' but I think it's the way to go for a walk around open country hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Might remove 1.5-2" of barrel.

Chiro, my (older)243 lug screw was shorter than the 270(which was fine unbedded) but I ended up replacing them both after bedding.
Originally Posted by Chiro
Originally Posted by EdM

Sam,

I'm onto my second 270 Kimber Montana. The first one was the same. One and a half thread contact. The second Montana had a longer screw. Perfect size, go figure. Serial no. 4831 :-)

Can you please tell me which action screw on the Montana is sometimes too short and needs to be replaced with the Remington 700 screw? Is it the rear action screw on the Montana back by the tang?

Thanks and best of luck with your new rifle.
The front screw by the chamber.
Darrik, went out to the hills and moved some cows today and the country is still nice and green but we sure could use another rain!

A, I use a 9-13" swivel for load work-up(prone) and a 12-25" swivel for hunting.

BD, 28lx just answered and is correct, the front action/lug screw.
If you have a recent model rifle and use it with the factory bedding(or a light skim bed) you might be fine. I shot mine with 'minimus' thread engagement and there weren't any issues, just wanted more thread contact after a following a healthy bed job.
Do yourself a solid and get a set of Bat action screws. Talk about a nice improvement! Those Kimber/Remington screws have such a shallow Allen head it's easy to ruin them. The Bats are super deep and a tight fit.
thanks 28 and sam
Originally Posted by SU35
If it doesn't shoot BT's it's not going to shoot.

Got that right..
BT's, Partitions, AB's all shot fine out of this particular 270.
BT's, Partitions, AB's all shot fine out of this particular 270.

That's good news.
© 24hourcampfire