Home
Posted By: coryj husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

This husqvarna mauser is for sale locally, its chambered in 30-06. The only markings other than the crest is a serial number on the receiver and the caliber on the barrel. Wood and bluing are about 80-85%. The action is buttery smooth and the bore is shiny with good rifling. I'm considering it for a rebore, any info about this gun or approximate value would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: z1r Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
Finding a Husqvarna without a crack behind the tang is a rarity. Check to so that rifle's stock isn't cracked.

If you can pick one up in the $350 to $450 range you got a bargain. Consider that a Mk X in '06 typically sells (around here) for between $350 and $450 depending on condition.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
All of the 98 Mauser actions used by Husqvarna were made by FN in Belgium. The rifle that you have appears to be a Model 640.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
So,,,, what about the Krag on the far right???? wink
Oh yeah! I'd snag the 640 if I were you!
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
Working the bolt on it (the Krag) would probably make you think the Husky' s is wrapped in Emory cloth.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Working the bolt on it (the Krag) would probably make you think the Husky' s is wrapped in Emory cloth.

Ya think???? smile.
And, the added plus is that since it is a .30-06 it is factory drilled & tapped.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Ya think???? smile.

<In best Clint Eastwood voice> I reckon so. smile

Coryj, that is not to denigrate the Husky at all, buy it!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
It's simply a testament to the smoothness of a Krag bolt when you operate it.
Posted By: 458Win Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
It is a rifle built by a great company on an equally great FN Mauser action. If you want a serious using rifle you won't go wrong buying it for under $500.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
I'd buy it. And that was what I was thinking before 458Win weighed in, which is about as expert an opinion on hunting rifles as you are going to get.
Yup, Very nice rifles. I have a few.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mathsr Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
I haven't been disappointed with my Husqvarna. Butter smooth action and points like it was custom made for me. It is still a 30/06 and going to stay that way…

[Linked Image]
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
I'm wait for my HVA 98 sporter in 9.3x62 to come back from the gunsmith. Not fancy but it is a classic African utility rifle!
Posted By: exbiologist Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
I've got one that we are building a 6.5x55 with. Well, that's done but the bluing and stock is not.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by 458Win
It is a rifle built by a great company on an equally great FN Mauser action. If you want a serious using rifle you won't go wrong buying it for under $500.

^^^^This^^^^
Nice guns z1r..... smile
Nice rifle Mathsr..... smile
Posted By: 458Win Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
When FN started selling actions shortly after WWII they were used by virtually all the big named makers including Browning, Weatherby, Sako, Husqvarna, Firearms International, Marlin, JC Higgens and Mongomery Wards. They were every bit the equal, and in many ways better than, the famed Winchester pre-64 M-70.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
I'm jealous. Wish they made those in left hand. I think I'd leave it as a .30-06 though.
Posted By: EdM Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
Great rifles. My factory punched 9.3x62 below.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 458Win
When FN started selling actions shortly after WWII they were used by virtually all the big named makers including Browning, Weatherby, Sako, Husqvarna, Firearms International, Marlin, JC Higgens and Mongomery Wards. They were every bit the equal, and in many ways better than, the famed Winchester pre-64 M-70.

+1
I personally prefer a good Mauser, and I'm a M70 fan..... shocked smile
Posted By: patbrennan Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/23/15
I too am a big fan of those Fn actioned husqvarnas. They fly under the radar, value-wise, while pre 64 model 70s are going through the roof here. I have a really nice one with a french walnut monte carlo (model 1000). One word of advise, don't shoot the donor unless you want another 06 in the gun cabinet!
Mathsr's rifle is built on a husqvarna small ring action, fwiw.
Posted By: coryj Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I need to go to the shop on Tuesday and do some paperwork. I asked him to hold it for me until then.

This has the safety on the shroud that flips 180 degrees left to right and doesn't seem very scope friendly. What is a good option to replace it with?
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I'm jealous. Wish they made those in left hand. I think I'd leave it as a .30-06 though.

Same here on all three counts.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Timney makes a Buehler-style low-swing safety to replace the original Mauser wing as a means by which for the safety to work with a low mounted scope.
Posted By: Slavek Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Looked over unused boxed sample Crown Grade .30-06 for $600 out the door. Lot better value for the money than Winchester Model 70. Boxed Model 70 of same vintage in same caliber would cost > twice as much. I passed because I already own .300H&H so buying it would simply mean spending $600 I did have to. If I had to choose between Crown Grade HVA and old Model 70 I would pick the Swedish sporter.

I bought .300H&H because I had plenty of ammo and when they ban lead in bullets one will need longer neck and case capacity to load them heavy grain solid copper & bell metal bullets. Should have waited and bought HVA saving $200 over old Winchester. As they say the best things come to those that wait.
Posted By: SNAP Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
I have both and have had many for almost 50 years of BC hunting-wilderness work; there is actually very little to choose between an HVA and a P-64-70.

The HVA is a bit lighter, crappy trigger and mediocre safety, poor bolt stop; the 70 has a superb trigger, excellent safety and better bolt stop, the breeching is functionally about equal.

These are two of my favourite actions-rifles and the HVAs ARE the better value as Pat posted above.
Posted By: z1r Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by coryj
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I need to go to the shop on Tuesday and do some paperwork. I asked him to hold it for me until then.

This has the safety on the shroud that flips 180 degrees left to right and doesn't seem very scope friendly. What is a good option to replace it with?

There are several options. Someone already mentioned the Timney safety. There is a Dayton Traister, which operates similarly but is less expensive. Or you can convert the existing shroud to a two position Model 70 style safety, or replace it with a three position model 70 style safety.

Of them all, the Timney is the easiest to install.
Posted By: RJC58 Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
I have a deep affinity for these Husqvarna 640's. They are to me the perfect combination of quality and utility.

My accumulation includes a couple 30-06's, an 8x57, two 6.5x55's and a 220 Swift. I even re-barreled one 8x57 to 257 Roberts. They come in various "vintages" that vary by bolt handle style, barrel contour and furniture.

Won't somebody please stop me?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Sorry, but I have my hands full with my own personal demons.
Posted By: z1r Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Got this one recently, a 649 in 9,3x62. Sweet shooter and light weight. easy to carry. Cost me half on what a new CZ 550 runs and is twice the rifle,

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/24/15
Well said....
Posted By: RJC58 Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by coryj
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

This husqvarna mauser is for sale locally, its chambered in 30-06. The only markings other than the crest is a serial number on the receiver and the caliber on the barrel. Wood and bluing are about 80-85%. The action is buttery smooth and the bore is shiny with good rifling. I'm considering it for a rebore, any info about this gun or approximate value would be appreciated. Thanks.

Seems like a rebarrel to me. If original the SN should be on left side of barrel, not on the receiver. Husqvarna and chambering should run along top of barrel. Nope. I'm wrong. I can see the serial number on the left side of barrel when I re-inspected the picture.
Posted By: Slavek Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
Hard to say. The one I looked at recently was marked .30-06 Govt. on the barrel. If the barrel is original to the rifle the front should have large diameter sight hood and rear sight should be extra heavy sheet metal in construction. The quality to price ratio on these is very high. If one wants classic Mauser action sporter of appropriate weight and good balance for not much money these are top of the classic rifle heap .
Posted By: K1500 Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
My first centerfire rifle was a Husqvarna 1640 in .30-06. I still have it and I still don't *really* need anything else to do what I want to do with a rifle.
Posted By: coryj Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
Rjc58 is correct, the s/n is on the left side of the barrel, not the receiver. Manufacturer and caliber are on top of the barrel.
Posted By: Autofive Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
zlr,nice gun,but,as to twice the rifle as a CZ550,dream on!
Posted By: Slavek Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by Autofive
zlr,nice gun,but,as to twice the rifle as a CZ550,dream on!

The CZ550 has dovetail mounting system and not crude 4 screw holes in the receiver, but that is about the only thing in its favor. In departments of fit/finish, weight, balance and handling the HVA is clearly superior. I am sure well put together piece of equipment will be plenty accurate for big game hunting at reasonable hunting ranges. Did I forget to mention something?

PS. What I have examined two weeks ago was 'Crown Grade' I would put that in same class as Winchester pre-64 Super Grade or Browning Safari Grade FN Mauser. Well above quality of typical CZ 550. It was better finished than my 1959 Model 70, but I passed on it because that would mean $600 out the door for rifle alone not to mention ammo, scope, mounts, quality sling,.....quite an investment. As I said if I had to choose between this HVA and Model 70 of same vintage I would take the Swedish Sporter.

Sure the ZG-47 is a more refined rifle, but how much would like like new ZG-47 in factory box cost? In USA I would say about 4x more.
Posted By: tarzan Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by K1500
My first centerfire rifle was a Husqvarna 1640 in .30-06. I still have it and I still don't *really* need anything else to do what I want to do with a rifle.

I owned many center fire rifles but I wasn't completely satisfied with any of them until I found an old 1640. It has a ton of character, shoots great, carries really nicely at 6 lbs and I don't mind adding a scratch to it. It's made for hunting!
Posted By: Joe Re: husqvarna mauser - 05/26/15
I've searched for the perfect rifle since 1966. I found it (almost) last March, a Husqvarna 1640. The only shortcoming is the safety doesn't block the striker.....it needs a M.70 safety to be absolutely perfect.
© 24hourcampfire