Home
Posted By: RDW Playing the Montana game... - 07/10/15
Picked up the Montana 223 last night, mounted a VX2 2X7 in Talley Lightweights. Found the lands and loaded 75gr BTHP's over 2000-MR and headed to the range this morning.

Other than blowing down the barrel I didn't touch it, didn't bed it but the barrel is floating by a hair, didn't touch the trigger, didn't verify the mag box or front base screw but I took the swivel studs off.

Every load I shot, limited barrel cooling time, 100 yds on the bottom and 200 yds on the top. Time to bed it and make some room for Amax's.

[Linked Image]

Great start Dave!
Nice I got one of these yesterday too. Hope it shoots. Have a leupold 4x in talleys on it. Loaded up some 55grn nosler bt. Going to shoot it to tomorrow.
Posted By: RDW Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/11/15
Bedded this morning and made some room for the mag box, will send some BTHP's and Amax's downrange in the morning.
Mine really likes 75gr btsp over TAC, loaded to SAAMI length.
Nice start Dave...

Are those 1/2gr increment powder charges or seating depth changes?
Posted By: RDW Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/11/15
Josh, 2/10's so 25.0-26.6 for the nine shots. QL does not have 2000-MR and Alliant's data is for the Amax so I was guessing on the top end, may be able to push it to 27.0.

The barrel was only floating a single thickness of paper, a good business card after floating so I am betting it tightens up a bit with nothing more than bedding.
Posted By: RDW Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/12/15
The Amax behind 26.2 gr MR2000 (2855 avg.) is the sweet spot in my Brux #3, easily MOA to 400, even the few groups at 600 were MOA.

I expected the groups to tighten with the bedding and also decided to push the loads to 26.8, based on previous trips that load probably tops at 3025, no cratered or flattened primers and no bolt lift resistance but the group opened quite a bit.

Needed 2 MOA to get back on center after bedding.

No hand picked targets.

If you can't read the scribble,

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3761/19633931855_f041d38d85_o.jpg

[Linked Image]
Double checked my work, barrel floating by a business card, scope rings tight, bases tight, front base screw clear of the barrel and the mag box wiggles. Although I could get another half turn on the action screws...

...damn, I guess this one is off to Gunbroker wink

Posted By: TXRam Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/12/15
So work on the 25.6-25.8 range with the BTHP and 26.0-26.2 with the Amax???
Posted By: TXRam Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/12/15
OR you gonna try another powder?
I am sticking with MR2000 for now, around 26.2 with the Amax and a bit more with the BTHP.

Moved the spacer in the mag box and made my own ejector saving the original. It feeds and ejects two each, BTHP and Amax alternating rounds good, I didn't modify the bolt stop.
Maybe I missed it but 200 yards?
Posted By: RDW Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/13/15
200 yards, but the second set would not be good enough at 300.
I've got one coming too, keep us posted.
Better powder to be had. I'll never get rid of my Montana 223.
Posted By: RDW Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/13/15
TAC was mentioned earlier, what powder is better for 75-80 grs?
Posted By: RDW Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/18/15
The 75's, BTHP and Amax are still 2"-3" at 200 (shot today), I wanted to try something lighter than 75's but did not find any 60gr Amax or 53gr TSX locally. I will try some 55gr Vmax and 68gr BTHP's that I have on hand this morning.

I have BLC2, Benchmark, MR2000 and Varget so I loaded the 55's and 68's with BLC2.
Seems to prefer the sub-75gr bullets. Wind was switching fast between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, 2-11 mph so I didn't bother following the flags, range is 200 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I thought this was interesting, the first 55gr Vmax in the white was my sighter before shooting the groups above. I shot the three Amax rounds from yesterday, shot the second 55gr Vmax and followed with the two 68gr BTHP's. I guess two shot groups are where it's at <grin>

As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with this Montana, eventually it will get an 8T barrel, for now I will have fun with 55-68's and look forward to trying some other bullets, maybe 53gr TSX or 60 Vmax.

It sure is fun to shoot!

[Linked Image]
Dave, I handled a Montana the other day and damn the action is smooth. I liked it and wouldn't be afraid to take the plunge. I have a feeling I could get it to shoot above average...
Posted By: Hugh Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/18/15
I got one in 708 bout month 1/2 ago shooting good with 120 & 140 GRN BULLETS RL15,RL17 .

Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes .Happy so far.
bsa', they are slick and what's stopping you?

Hugh, I have heard good things about the 7-08 Montana, enjoy.

Originally Posted by RDW
bsa', they are slick and what's stopping you?

Hugh, I have heard good things about the 7-08 Montana, enjoy.

Money... grin. One of these days I'll give one a try. I've been thinking something like a 257 Roberts would be cool in a Montana..
Posted By: Shag Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/18/15
I've owned two .308's and one 300wsm. My god they shot awesome.
Posted By: Shag Re: Playing the Montana game... - 07/18/15
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Better powder to be had. I'll never get rid of my Montana 223.

This..
© 24hourcampfire