Home
Posted By: TATELAW Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/27/15
Anybody used this stuff? I traded some pistol ammo I didn't need for a couple of boxes of it. I've got 30-30 dies but I haven't gotten around to reloading for mine yet. I don't use my 30-30 much, so 40 rounds may last me a long time. It's the ammo with the 150gr TSX bullet. He's got several more boxes. If I can get a chance to shoot it and see if it groups in my rifle, I might get a deal on the rest of it.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/28/15
It's a 30/30 and a X bullet, things will die.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/30/15
Anyone had any hands-on experience with this stuff?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/30/15
I've killed stuff with a 150gr TSX in the 30/30, but it was loaded in Winchester brass so I guess that don't help you.
Posted By: hunterdan199 Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 08/06/15
Barnes tsx my favorite bull it
Posted By: 16bore Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 08/07/15
Twist the nippies off a TTSX and your there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 06/30/16
Well this 30-30 got pushed to the back of the safe for a while and I just got back around to messing with it. I bought a lb of LeverEvolution powder to use in my 35Rem and this 30-30. I got great velocity but not good accuracy in the 30-30. I had thrown a box of this Hog Hammer stuff in with my reloads so I decided to give it a try at the end of the day. Three shot group was perfect 3/4 inch triangle. Looks like I'll be trying it out this fall. I figure it will work fine for whitetails but I'll report back if I put some meat on the ground with it.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/02/16
I can't imagine the hog Hammer stuff will bounce off of anything.
My buddy killed a quite a few deer with the older TSX in the 30-30.... ig shot really good in his gun too and we recovered a few from the Sandy backstop and they were just picture perfect with four pedals.
Funny how different guns like different things. Lever powder really shined in my Marlin 30-30 with the 160 gummy tipped Hornady and the 170 partition... it seemed to burn really clean and got great velocity.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/10/16
I've got a bunch of those pills to load, and have shot a handful of deer and cats with them. The bullet appears to dump energy into a critter more immediately. Aside from that, there's no suprises for stuff being dead. They often didn't seem to move as far, if at all.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/10/16
You could load a round ball into a .30-30 and it'll kill deer. 'Tain't rocket science!
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
True....but some bullets work a heckuva lot better in a 30-30, if you want to lung shoot them and find them the same day. I've had expansion issues with the FTX and some older 170s.
Posted By: mathman Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
Hog Hammer sounds like a condom brand for chubby chasers.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by mathman
Hog Hammer sounds like a condom brand for chubby chasers.

shocked laugh
Posted By: rost495 Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
True....but some bullets work a heckuva lot better in a 30-30, if you want to lung shoot them and find them the same day. I've had expansion issues with the FTX and some older 170s.

You would think some don't know how to trail... I"ve shot a lot of pigs with 22lr in the lungs...

I've shot a lot of deer with MZ rounds that don't expand for all intents....

now if your theory of finding them in the same day means DRT, thats another story. Or needing a Ray Charles type blood trail...
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
Geezus I've shot over 70 deer with a .30-30. I've used core lokts, interlocks, power points, silvertips and power shoks and NEVER had a deer go more than 70 yards with any of them. The vast majority were down in less than 40 yards and none were hard to find. You sure the fugg don't need any special wonder bullets to kill deer with a .30-30.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Geezus I've shot over 70 deer with a .30-30. I've used core lokts, interlocks, power points, silvertips and power shoks and NEVER had a deer go more than 70 yards with any of them. The vast majority were down in less than 40 yards and none were hard to find. You sure the fugg don't need any special wonder bullets to kill deer with a .30-30.

You do in some areas and will in more to come.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
laugh
I've seen double-lunged deer not leave more than a drop or two for 50yards, and make it 100....especially with guys using the early FTXs. Never said they weren't found, and never said I was there to do any tracking, until they asked for help. Evidence and cleaning showed they weren't expanding as much as some other C&C stuff. I've killed plenty with those myself, but just don't see the same results as with regular old blunt nosed stuff. The others were maybe Speer 170s, but can't recall and don't know how fast it was running, but they penciled as well. I've heard later FTXs expand well. I agree that there's lots less that'll do, and the 30-30 with a corelokt or PP is generally just fine.....but sometimes I've seen others have less than ideal results for finding a deer quick, in the dark, in Louisiana thick, and too warm to not find fast. Sometimes it was on them. Sometimes, I've seen where more expansion would've helped. Maybe it's all anecdotal, and they're dead, anyway. Then again, I've seen perfect and less than perfect results on otherwise dead deer, with everything from rim fires to 45-70s.... It's just a discussion.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

You would think some don't know how to trail... I"ve shot a lot of pigs with 22lr in the lungs...

I've shot a lot of deer with MZ rounds that don't expand for all intents....

now if your theory of finding them in the same day means DRT, thats another story. Or needing a Ray Charles type blood trail...

I still say you ain't done much trailing in a rain forest.
Posted By: ned Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 07/13/16
Shoot them right below the ear with anything you want. Don't fall for the marketing bs.

Hogs being bullet proof is and internet myth. I've shot a truck load here in TX including some three hundred pounders.

Largest one was with a 150 grain ballistic tip doing a whopping 2600 out of a .308 with a 20" barrel at 80 measured yards. Passed right thru both shoulders.
Posted By: hanco Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 08/21/16
I make my own Hog Hammer ammo for piney wood hunting. I load 170 grain 30-30 bullets for my 308. Kills cshit out of hogs in traps.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 08/21/16
170 Sierra FP hammers em well enough.
Posted By: MERWIN Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 09/07/16
FWIW
In my kid's Marlin 336 / 30-30 we found much better accuracy with TAC using Barnes recommended load. Easy .5"-1" at 100 yds when he uses the bags properly. By comparison, the Hornady Leverloution stuff ran about 2.5" -3" at 100 and Winchester silver box 150s ran 1"-1.5"
Posted By: BigDogBoogie Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 09/07/16
Originally Posted by ringworm
170 Sierra FP hammers em well enough.

^^ What he said! I've been using those in .30-30 and .303 Savage loads for years and no deer has gone very far after being hit.

Before that (1970's) I used regular ol' Federal Power Shok factory loads and they worked perfectly on deer in the brush I hunted in.

The hog hammers should absolutely kill just as well. Who knows, They might even make deer mo' deader. whistle
Posted By: salmonhead Re: Hog Hammer 30-30 Ammo - 09/08/16
i kill deer with my old 30/30 every year in Michigan. Its my preferred stand gun since its so short and shots are never over 150 and rarely over 75. I use plain jane 150 flat points from Winchester. I will load my own when the stocks get lower, but currently running factory ammo. Last year I took a nice buck and a black bear with the old girl. Neither were real fond of it.
© 24hourcampfire